My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

leelorr said:
I hesitated to post this, but I think since Frey is following this thread, they should have this feedback.

I have been using EndLess-Sphere for quite a while, and have built a few Ebikes, and sold a couple to friends.
A friend just asked me which bike he should buy now for his first Ebike and I suggested the Frey AM1000 (the subject of this thread). He contacted Ivy at Frey and received a quote for the bike and shipping. He then sent another message (the same day) that he was ready to purchase and asked for the additional price of a second battery, Lyrik front shock upgrade and a couple of additional derailleur hangers so that he could place the order. He has never heard back, even after repeated attempts for over a week. This understandably made him nervous, and has now decided to buy a different bike from a dealer in the U.S. I am actually watching closely the thread about the new bike you are designing with the upcoming Bafang M600, and hope that you will take this post as constructive feedback to a company that I hope does well in this market.

Leelorr, sorry to hear this as I ordered close to the same bike and extras from Ivy. While it did take her a couple or days to get back to me and I did have to ask again for certain items she has been very good about response. Even so much when I decided to wait on the new frame since we still have so much snow around here she quickly put my order on hold.
I'm sorry your friend had issues but they have always been on the up and up.
It is time for the Chinese New Year Celebration so yes they will be gone for a few weeks.

My thoughts exactly. I´ve been buggying Ivy like hell before and after i bought the bike and always got answer really quickly. Must be this New Year thing. I have couple of questions also but can wait, holiday is holiday 8)

Hi, Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Frey Configuration software for the Bafang motor. It has a Torque assist tab that most others don't and I'd like to try it on my Bafang Max Drive. Thanks in advance

It looks like I ordered my AM1000 at the wrong time of year. Frey packed and shipped it around a week ago and still no tracking number for the bike or the batteries :( I'm figuring that it's in a queue of exports all trying to get out before the CNY. If I receive before the end of February I'll be (pleasantly) surprised.
I guess it's kinda similar to ordering something around Christmas in The US or Europe.
Impatient :x

DaninSpain said:
It looks like I ordered my AM1000 at the wrong time of year. Frey packed and shipped it around a week ago and still no tracking number for the bike or the batteries :( I'm figuring that it's in a queue of exports all trying to get out before the CNY. If I receive before the end of February I'll be (pleasantly) surprised.
I guess it's kinda similar to ordering something around Christmas in The US or Europe.

What shipping company? I bought a similar ebike from another factory in China and it shipped UPS on 2 Feb 18 and arrived at my house just south of San Francisco, California, USA on 9 Feb 18. I did get hit with almost $300 customs duty too. I guess they were honest declaring the value.

Akita Fat Bike 4 r.jpg

woggs1 said:
DaninSpain said:

What shipping company? I bought a similar ebike from another factory in China and it shipped UPS on 2 Feb 18 and arrived at my house just south of San Francisco, California, USA on 9 Feb 18. I did get hit with almost $300 customs duty too. I guess they were honest declaring the value.

Akita Fat Bike 4 r.jpg

The bike is coming by FedEx and the battery UPS. Ivy has forwarded tracking details today, so fingers crossed I may get it sooner than I think.

That looks like a nice bike Woggs. What are your thoughts on it? Are you going to do a review for us :)
Dan

The bike is coming by FedEx and the battery UPS. Ivy has forwarded tracking details today, so fingers crossed I may get it sooner than I think.

That looks like a nice bike Woggs. What are your thoughts on it? Are you going to do a review for us :)
Dan

The bike is awesome, better than I expected. Maybe I will start a new thread with everything I went through and my impressions. After the Olympics of course :D

I ordered a 3rd gen Frey a few months ago. I have about 240 miles on the bike and almost a couple of weeks ago, the motor stopped working. I made a video of this and contacted Frey.

Ivy mentioned that she reached out to bafang rep and he is unreachable for the next two weeks due to Chinese new year.
Will keep you guys updated on how this gets resolved.

Hi, Please don't worry. We are coming back on this Friday and there are after sale rep in US for bafang motor. I think we can get in touch with Bafang next week and will support you as soon as possible. Sorry for late support because of Chinese new year holiday. but it is finishing soon. and I am always available during holiday. : )

3gfrey said:
I ordered a 3rd gen Frey a few months ago. I have about 240 miles on the bike and almost a couple of weeks ago, the motor stopped working. I made a video of this and contacted Frey.

Ivy mentioned that she reached out to bafang rep and he is unreachable for the next two weeks due to Chinese new year.

3gfrey said:

This, for me was the biggest gamble about ordering directly from China. I received my bike a few days ago and I discovered after a 5km ride that the nut holding the left pedal crank was missing, and hence the arm fell off. I cannot say whether or not the nut was missing or it was loose and fell off during the 1st ride, but what I do know is I cannot ride my new bike until I can source a replacement nut, which is not as easy as you may think. I visited 8 bike shops before I finally ordered it online from Shimano.

I understand that a quality control issue can happen to any manufacturer, but it would normally be dealt with by the local dealer or shop you bought the item from....unless you buy directly from the manufacturer as in our case.

This is equally difficult for Frey (Ivy). As much as she is keen to help, Ivy is in China and I am in Spain.

This is one of the downsides of missing out the various stages between the manufacturer and the end user. The upside obviously being the savings you make over buying from a shop.

This last post of a failed motor sent shivers down my spine. If my motor failed as in this case, I would be up sh*t creek without a paddle as I doubt there would be anyone locally that could repair it. Would it mean I would have to pack the whole bike back in its box and ship it back to China? That doesn't bare thinking about.

It would be interesting to hear Freys ideas about after sales service...from China, and I will watch the outcome of the issue with the failed Brafang motor with great interest.

Left pedal crank arm loosening on the BBS02/HD versions was also an issue.
Were they already fitted or did you fit yourself?
To tighten properly use Loctite or similar threadlock along with a large Allen key and stand on the end of it to get enough torque!

Anyway should be an easy fix when you get the bolt.

btw how are these type of bikes looked upon in your part of Spain.... any problems?

Can you make similar battery case like that?
salto-baf_qnxwnsp.jpg

tommie said:
Left pedal crank arm loosening on the BBS02/HD versions was also an issue.
Were they already fitted or did you fit yourself?
To tighten properly use Loctite or similar threadlock along with a large Allen key and stand on the end of it to get enough torque!

Anyway should be an easy fix when you get the bolt.

btw how are these type of bikes looked upon in your part of Spain.... any problems?

Thanks for the heads up Tommie. The arms were already on when I received the bike. The bolt arrived and all is fixed. At the same time as ordering the bolts, I ordered some loctite :D

At the moment these types of bikes are overlooked by the authorities in Spain, so as long as I don't do anything stupid I'm not anticipating any problems (famous last words) :roll:

Brand called Volton made similar ebike based on Bafang Ultra and that frame.

voltonjpg_qnxssqq.jpg

Is possible to add a button to change the motor modes on the flight?
what about with waterproof?
Is possible to change the chainring or install a chaintset with a front derailleur?

tumich said:
Brand called Volton made similar ebike based on Bafang Ultra and that frame.

voltonjpg_qnxssqq.jpg

Looks identical. How much is it?

woggs1 said:
Surfingjeff said:
Im hoping duty is not much could be $ 100 or nothing if anybody can comment on that would be nice.

I bought an ebike from China for around $2400 and the duty was about $265.

As I said earlier on this post, my friend and I bought 1 bike each from Alibaba made and ship from China too.
Cost ship to South East Asia US$300 for my bike. And the other ship to US by Air for $685. For my Country sport equipment under the value of US$350 tax is waive. As my friend in State follow my lead on the declaration, as we request supplier to declare on Invoice: Description 1) Bicycle (Not Ebike) 2) US$300 for the bike. Result, both of us didn't paid any tax for the almost US$3K ebike. Take note battery will normally ship separately. So Ebike without battery is just a bicycle and nothing misleading on that. My advice, just to check on your country tax requirement to get away with it.

More on the programming, Karl Gesslein's article is back after being taken off the website for review

https://electricbike-blog.com/2017/11/23/i-void-warranties-hacking-the-bafang-ultra-max-mid-drive-ebike-drive/

Depends where you are. It’s going to be 10% on item cost and shipping here in Australia. Heaps easier than the old duty system but still an expense you have to be prepared for (+ broker fees for the thieving middle men).

Edit/ btw, I ordered my bike from Frey just before the new year shutdown and was informed it would be delivered late March. Which suits me fine. I should be home by then.

Very easy ordering process. They even split the payment for me to avoid my credit card limit.

Hello AM1000 fans and Frey Ebikes,

I am more and more interested in e-bikes, specifically an allround and commuter bike. I did some research, and even test rode some bikes, but haven't made a decision yet. When I discovered the AM1000 I was impressed by it's specs... not many bikes around have as much power and range/capacity! And I am happy for having found this forum... so much experience, and even the manufacturer is READING and LISTENING.

I still have a some doubts and questions:

1. Range: for those who already received their bikes: I know, it is (was) winter, but... did anybody have the chance to ride his bike and can confirm battery capacity and/or range?

2. Commuter version:
@FreyBikes, will there be a commuter option? (hardtail frame, 29", rack, lights and fenders)? Apparently I am not alone with this usecase.
@EndlessSphere community... what do you think, would the AM1000 do for commuting? What changes would you suggest?
  • tyres - less offroad-style? any recommendation?
  • rack - I like the "fat bike" rack offered by m2s... @FreyBikes, could anything similar be available for the AM1000 frame?
  • light - is there a lights option (see oleaiz' bike, P5)? Or otherwise, is there a cabling option for front and rear lights, connected to the battery (not via USB)?

3. Other technical questions:
  • motor/gear: does the G510 always come with steel gears, is this a standard Frey improvement, or was this an optional feature?
  • [strike]chain/sprockets wear: I heard some concerns about chain and sprockets wear. Somebody said that probably the chain + sprockets would need to be changed approx. every 1000 km: what is your experience with so much power on a mid drive? Maybe also from your past BBS02/HD experience?[/strike] [edit: I read some more on this, even here on Endless Sphere, I now understand the IGH discussion.Would a carbon belt make sense in combination with an IGH? @Frey Bikes, could you design a tube splitter into the frame, in order to allow mounting/retrofitting a carbon belt? Were there any findings on IGHs? ]
  • display: I would prefer a smaller display - leaves more space on the handle bar, for light, or smartphone/navigation: will the AM1000, maybe the 2018 version, be fitted with the smaller Bafang display (see P11)? Are the displays compatible, can it be changed later? Where can the small display and controller be purchased from?

4. Design: in order not to attract the attention of theives or authorities, I prefer more 'understatement', discreet colour schemes, but still, the gunmetal black design (Page 1, robocam's bike) looks too stealthy or threatening to me: would matte aluminium be feasible, only for the frame? Or matte grey, as shown on the new fatbike? I also like icehunter's design approach for optically integrating the battery into the frame.

5. Order process: how did you all order and pay? via Alibaba? Did anybody already order from Germany, is there any experience with German customs? (any issues with CE certification, COC, customs duty?)

6. Estimated delivery time if ordering in spring?

Thank you all, I'm looking forward to your opinions and advice.

18650 said:
Commuter version:
@FreyBikes, will there be a commuter option? (hardtail frame, 29", rack, lights and fenders)? Apparently I am not alone with this usecase.

Yes, i agree, there is a massive market out there for a hardtail or Hybrid ebike with these specifications. MTB is only a small market in comparison.

Back