Sabvoton User's Guide (unofficial) [sabvoton.wire.bike]

alec

10 W
Hi everybody,

I've started an unofficial Sabvoton User's Guide at http://sabvoton.wire.bike

I'll be constantly updating it with new information.

Please feel free to critique, contribute content on or leave any other comments here.

:idea: Update log:
Code:
v.0.9 12/22/17 - Initialization

:arrow: If you like or appreciate this content, please donate any amount of money to the Cancer Research Institute.

a good start to a neat and tidy guide there.

I have just purchased a 200A version sabvoton svmc72200 (M), and having only used the adaptto system till now, need to get my head around it.(paticularly using the cav3, programming etc)

i got mine through QS recently(september 17)came with usb cable. am i right in thinking that ill need to buy a new usb cable thing for it or have they sorted that by now?
cheers
RTL

ridethelightning said:
a good start to a neat and tidy guide there.

I have just purchased a 200A version sabvoton svmc72200 (M), and having only used the adaptto system till now, need to get my head around it.(paticularly using the cav3, programming etc)

i got mine through QS recently(september 17)came with usb cable. am i right in thinking that ill need to buy a new usb cable thing for it or have they sorted that by now?
cheers
RTL

Sorry for the very late response! Been busy here as of recent.

And no, you'll probably be fine considering you have an M! They're standard with RS232 during that era... if you're lucky. You never know! I think we both know the best way to find out... hook 'er up! :D

Hey alec, i ran into your guide looking for help with my sabvoton, very helpful so far. I have one of these controllers:

The (M) indicates it's a newer model conpatible with Bluetooth, correct?

Can you provide any input on how to set one of these up for Bluetooth? The guide says you need both the dongle and USB cable to program the dongle correctly but doesn't go into further detail. Any further help on how to do this? This also means you never need to hook up the controller to the computer, just the dongle right? I don't have access to a computer right now so if I can program the dongle easily at a buddies house without having to bring the whole bike that makes it a lot easier.

I'm trying to wrap my head about using the HC-06 in place of a dongle. Never touched an arduino before so while it may be a simple concept its all new to me (at the same time learning how much Im missing out on, an arduino can add so many functions in an ebike). My goal is to reprogram my sabvoton solely through my android. I don't have access to a computer directly right now, and In the sabvoton guide it states you need a serial to usb cable to program the hc06 via AT commands to work with the sabvoton. Shouldn't I be able to do it with just the HC-06 alone? Wire it to a USB cable, connect it to the sabvoton to power it on, then connect to it via Bluetooth on my android and just reprogram it with the same AT commands through a bluetooth terminal? Or is changing the baud rate/name not possible while using bluetooth to connect to it? Any input? I can pick up an hc-06 locally in NYC so the faster I can get it running the better.

Amazing work mate! been trying to figure out how to get my sabvoton controller running for 3 months now, your a true hero. just bought a JBtek USB to RS485 on express delivery, but have no clue what cables i have to plug into it lol. waiting eagerly on updates! :D

Got my hands on an Hc 06 and serial usb cable. I sent all the commands to the hc06 from terraterm on windows as the guide says to set the baud rate name etc... everything saved ok. When I connect the hc06 to the sabvoton and run the app, the app says unconnected and does nothing... any help? I assume the app is supposed to automatically connect when you open it? as there seems to be no way to establish connection. The one button in the corner does nothing. swapping the tx and rx pins on the hc06 to the sabvoton does no help... restarting the app many times and nothing. any advice? If I short the pins on the hc06 and talk to it through a bluetooth terminal I get an echo of what I sent, so the bluetooth is receiving and sending data... also when I connect to it through the bluetooth terminal the red light stops flashing meaning something is connected, when I run the sabvoton app the red light stays flashing meaning nothing has tried to connect to it and it's ready to be connected to...

UPDATE: seems like the hc06 is hooked up properly to the controller, I'm able to connect to it and change parameters through the windows app. I guess it's true that the android app just sucks bad... someone needs to develop a good mobile interface for this controller! it has so much more potential

There seems to be another app other than the SVMC app, there's one called MQCON found here.
http://www.mqcon.com/menu/downloads.html
Has a lot more functions similar to the windows app.. still can't get this one to work either though :?

Although mine is a 96150 I think you might help.
Was working fine, I had to disconnect the motor for maintenance and now error 25 is on. Tried everything, even reset to factory default but nothing. It shows 2v only but the battery is full...
Help will be welcome!

i have been working on my 72200 and got it working but when a friend fired it up for a test, it seems to have bbqd the fets. i suspect the halls combo was not saved correctly somehow

does anyone have any advice about spares/support for sabvoton?

i have made a thread about it here-
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92954

MoonBassMan said:
Hope you get the guide up soon. I'm looking into purchasing a Sabvoton 72200. Was hoping to do a little research in advance.

I’m happy to answer any questions.

I’ve misplaced the files for this website, I’m desperately looking for my backup so I can get this back online!

matt912836 said:
Got my hands on an Hc 06 and serial usb cable. I sent all the commands to the hc06 from terraterm on windows as the guide says to set the baud rate name etc... everything saved ok. When I connect the hc06 to the sabvoton and run the app, the app says unconnected and does nothing... any help? I assume the app is supposed to automatically connect when you open it? as there seems to be no way to establish connection. The one button in the corner does nothing. swapping the tx and rx pins on the hc06 to the sabvoton does no help... restarting the app many times and nothing. any advice? If I short the pins on the hc06 and talk to it through a bluetooth terminal I get an echo of what I sent, so the bluetooth is receiving and sending data... also when I connect to it through the bluetooth terminal the red light stops flashing meaning something is connected, when I run the sabvoton app the red light stays flashing meaning nothing has tried to connect to it and it's ready to be connected to...

UPDATE: seems like the hc06 is hooked up properly to the controller, I'm able to connect to it and change parameters through the windows app. I guess it's true that the android app just sucks bad... someone needs to develop a good mobile interface for this controller! it has so much more potential

There seems to be another app other than the SVMC app, there's one called MQCON found here.
http://www.mqcon.com/menu/downloads.html
Has a lot more functions similar to the windows app.. still can't get this one to work either though :?

The HC06 will work as a serial bridge for sure. The problem that I’ve faced with writing a third party configuration app is that all of MQ’s software is compiled and spits out quite confusing serial data. The amount of time required to reverse engineer the 64-bit string sent from the app via serial is time I didn’t have then to spend and don’t have time now.

The reason KH6xx controllers have so many third party apps is because a few open source configuration tools were released which allowed developers such as myself to see what the conversion algorithms are, and what commands allow communication with the controller.

In the future, I will be shifting my focus away from Sabvoton. After countless months of research and development with huge hopes of nursing their products into a daily driver, I’m deeply saddened to say it’s an inheritely good product, plagued by awful proprietary software, closed-source communication, shoddy customer support and shady trading business deals.

Luckily, there are plenty of high-powered sine controllers available in 2018 being sold by incredible, smart, helpful members of our community. I know WestCoastElectric offers a 24 mosfet sine controller which would be a much smarter option than going with a Sabvoton/MQCON.

Of course, anybody who is willing may reach out to me if they are in the boat I once was: Sitting in front of a Sabvoton, that’s not working, unable to find anything other than dodgy Russian YouTube videos for tips, nobody knows anything; feeling helpless — PM me. I’ve faced every single problem you can while working with these products and promise that, unless the unlikely case your unit is defective, I will be able to solve your issue almost immediately.

Disclaimer: I do not sell these units. I simply am an enthusiast.

I hope everybody is having a great 2018!

Sabvoton are not bad controllers at all, I've been using them for the last 4 years in virtually all my setups.

I actually toured their factory in Suzhou, China. Yes they're manufactering equipment is old. The components are soldered on by machine but the final assembly is still done by hand. They test their controllers, before putting on a QC sticker.

They sell primarily to the OEM market, not so much to us enthusiasts. So getting a order of Sabvoton controllers with the correct connectors and features is problematic at times. That and they don't really speak english.

So what is up with Sabvoton now? Their website no longer works. Emails bounce back. The only way to get any info on them is to contact QS.

Not very trust inspiring. Are they going belly up or something?

Hello Alec,
Thanks for writing an unofficial user guide. Is it still available somewhere?
Thanks,
Dan

Gbcarnage65 said:
I have a sabvoton svmc 7280 and I'm getting an error code of 30H. Anyone know what this means.

30 h is because the settings lock cable isn't plugged toghter.

Error 30H comes up when communication plug is not joined back together, communication plug is yellow, green, brown, connect to yellow, green, black. I went back to adjust parameters after getting new controller up and running and had issues with app until I realized I had to disconnect these wires again before the app works properly. When I contacted supplier about Error 30H they said it's normal when communication plug is not connected. Hope that helps clarify things...

Is the user guide still working? I tried to click on the link and it does not work. Thanks

THEDON82z1 said:
Is the user guide still working? I tried to click on the link and it does not work. Thanks

Same, I'm hoping there is a new/newly hosted site with the guide. I've tried some BT dongles that are not functioning I was hoping someone could recommend any dongle that does work with it?

Back