Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Youtube channel subscription 4TW :p
Sorry for the disappointment. I'll have to do another soon :)
I've got some footage of riding 2 up with my little bloke - I'll post that on the weekend

Im surprised at how bald your rear tire is already, makes me jelous as our winter is still closing out up here and i got the itch to ride. You can tell you ride hard and that means that it is a pretty fun ride!

Thanks for the video. You appear to be the perfect person to try a ski on the front. I put one on for Motomoto on his visit, but the snow wasn't a condition that made too much a difference. However living in snow I find days when it is the difference between riding and not riding. My video so far:
[youtube]BHgkANcuzvg[/youtube]

I'd be careful riding in a designated wilderness area that close to the road, some ranger will pop you.....

No worries, we don't ride on the other side of the sign. Glad you pick up on my establishing shot. We, as in the dogs and I. I am very alone out here. (I only recognize my friends from their avatars.)

Running with studded tires or stock xcnick ? I did put studs on the old vector this winter. First ride I took I got hit by a car. Dislocated and fractured shoulder, still tender knees and only one working arm. Haven't even been able to fix up the vector yet because of shoulder pain.

I just watched one of Holmes Sur Ron videos, and from the look of it, it might see like the seating should have been slightly longer in front. To allow for a more easily weight transfer to front wheel in tight turns and bends, specially on loose gravel, dirt and sand. What do you think after riding the Sur Ron, can you get you foot out and up front like in mx style riding?

For those of you who yet haven't watched holmes videos.

[youtube]s-IEVIWUHgM[/youtube]

That was a good video and great camera work to really get an idea of what it is, size of it and what it can do. Doesn't look like it would fit my 6'4" 210 lbs size though. Bummer for me.

Tom

static seat height stock is about 31.5".. has 19" moto wheels front and rear.. the seat strut is bolt on so removable.. someone tall could fit a longer handlebar stem to lengthen the reach, switch to 21" front moto wheel or 27.5 bike wheel.. and possibly have a taller seat strut made.. and stiffer suspension springs, etc for heavier riders..

cool video but where is all the gear or chain whine comeing from ? this diffinetly sounds louder than a hub or even the c3000w mid drives ?

it could be that the belt or chain is doing all the high rpm reduction as their is no gearbox. whereas on the c3000w type mid drive ebikes its done inside the gearbox with plastic gears silently..

if you ride this on the road it will stand out due to the noise

the noise is coming from the small chain sprocket on the reduction jackshaft spinning at high rpm.. and maybe the cooling fan..

7257b9_5ff79d3d2399442c94ea7df4d7859cb5~mv2.webp

Chilly ride Alex!
Have they changed the headlight or did you fit that ? Mine had a plastic case unit with a twist back to turn it on/off. Yours looks like cast metal ?
That was one of the things I found cheap/tacky looking on the bike so if they're coming like this from the factory now that's another nice upgrade

efMX wrote;

the noise is coming from the small chain sprocket on the reduction jackshaft spinning at high rpm.. and maybe the cooling fan..

I say yes to the above.

efMX also made this observation earlier;

to install a belt drive to the rear wheel you will need to remove the swingarm, jackshaft, and rear wheel.. install larger diameter and wider belt sprockets front and rear, make sure that you will have enough clearance for the wider belt and sprockets by the motor, tire and chain stays and find a belt with the proper length to achieve your desired gearing.. then if the belt should happen to break from a stick, rock or mud buildup on the sprocket you will not be able to perform a trail side repair without removing the swingarm, jackshaft, and rear wheel.. so be prepared to carry necessary tools with you if riding off-road.. this is the reason that zero offers chain drive conversion on the fx for off-road use..

I say yes to that one also.

I think a 20 mm wide x 8 mm pitch Gates Poly chain will do the trick.

https://ww2.gates.com/europe/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=20054_E2_INDUSTRIAL_BELT_CATALOGUE_Poly_Chain_GT_Carbon_38_391.pdf&folder=brochure&location_id=19464

how much do these weigh without the battery? I was wondering if I could carry one with a 1up hitch rack.
Also do folks know the difference between the dirt version and super moto? Is it just tires or also other specs?

Hyena said:
Chilly ride Alex!
Have they changed the headlight or did you fit that ? Mine had a plastic case unit with a twist back to turn it on/off. Yours looks like cast metal ?
That was one of the things I found cheap/tacky looking on the bike so if they're coming like this from the factory now that's another nice upgrade

Yes, they changed the headlight to the Alu one - much better one. And due to regulations it is always on as soon as you turn the key.

motomoto said:
efMX wrote;

I say yes to the above.

efMX also made this observation earlier;

to install a belt drive to the rear wheel you will need to remove the swingarm, jackshaft, and rear wheel.. install larger diameter and wider belt sprockets front and rear, make sure that you will have enough clearance for the wider belt and sprockets by the motor, tire and chain stays and find a belt with the proper length to achieve your desired gearing.. then if the belt should happen to break from a stick, rock or mud buildup on the sprocket you will not be able to perform a trail side repair without removing the swingarm, jackshaft, and rear wheel.. so be prepared to carry necessary tools with you if riding off-road.. this is the reason that zero offers chain drive conversion on the fx for off-road use..

I say yes to that one also.

I think a 20 mm wide x 8 mm pitch Gates Poly chain will do the trick.

https://ww2.gates.com/europe/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=20054_E2_INDUSTRIAL_BELT_CATALOGUE_Poly_Chain_GT_Carbon_38_391.pdf&folder=brochure&location_id=19464

it would be interesting to see how much noise is coming from the chain drive and how much is from the cooling fan.. this could be done with a simple experiment by removing the chain master link, taking the chain off temporarily and revving the motor up to high rpm so that you could hear how much noise the fan makes without the chain drive.. of course you will not get rid of the cooling fan noise even with a belt drive conversion.. is the liquid cooled golden motor the same size?? that could be a nice upgrade to the bike, allowing for higher continuous power, less overheating on long steep climbs and even quieter operation.. how accessible is the fan blade?? it may be easy to remove the fan cover and then remove the fan blade temporarily to see how much noise is coming from the primary belt drive alone.. of course, do not run the motor for very long without the fan cooling, just enough for the noise level experiment.. leaving the noise from the primary belt drive only would give an idea of the sound level with a secondary belt drive conversion.. :idea:

sunrise said:
how much do these weigh without the battery? I was wondering if I could carry one with a 1up hitch rack.
Also do folks know the difference between the dirt version and super moto? Is it just tires or also other specs?

Are you talking about the Light Bee or another bike? The Sur Ron weighs about 80lbs with the battery removed - I asked Luna for the battery weight and they guesstimated 30lbs.

Skaiwerd said:
Obviously those in the know won’t buy here.

I bet that was the same A-hole that was selling them for 12K on ebay a while back. I emailed that guy and asked what his deal was, never responded.

Doesn't look like the Sur-Ron has a rim lock at the rear?
Has anyone had issue with tire slippage or tearing out stems with lower pressure?

Regards,

jamilon01 said:
Doesn't look like the Sur-Ron has a rim lock at the rear?
Has anyone had issue with tire slippage or tearing out stems with lower pressure?

Regards,

If PSI gets below 18, there will be slippage. I have ran 19, 18, and 17MC wheels on all of my ebikes. I had this happen once after crossing a creek with 15PSI in my tire. Tore the valve stem right off the tube. Also just recently happened to my dad.

48v battery weighs 10kg, 48v bike complete weigh s 50kg
60v battery weighs 12kg, 60v bike complete weighs 52kg

No rim locks on either rims.
1000kms so far with no issues bar a puncture,and wearing out rear tyres.
Tyres are something between MTB and MX casing. Heavier than MTB but half the weight of a MX tyre. Tubes are MTB duty.

Sur-Ron with a 60V battery vs NYX with Adaptto mini-e 20s battery and mxus 3000 4t motor on 24" Peaking 5,7kW. They are quite even during take off but NYX overtakes due to higher voltage. NYX pulls harder after 30-40km/h thx to 20s battery
1:17 you have a good look at how both bikes start. Now the Bee had about 30% left on the battery while NYX still had around 50%

Thx Sweden_Rob for video footage!

[youtube]eAwN_dtFb0s[/youtube]

Back