My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FREYebikes » Feb 28 2018 9:55pm

Hi Everyone here!
Most of Chinese factories come back from Spring Festival this week.
To me, I am keeping working during holiday, have a good holiday and also glad no delays on working for oversea customers, you do not have Chinese Spring Festival.
Here is a good news to US friends. there is some good promotion policy for customers place order and delivery to US by sea on Alibaba.
QQ图片20180228153105.png
I hope this is just a helpful news not an adds and it is allowed to post this info here.

By the way, In US, most of ebikes come from China. As I known, the M2S bikes arr imported from a factory whom we known.
Now few suppliers in China focus at high end quality ebike with the Bafang mid motor system like us, and keep improving always.
As many customers asked earlier, we will have some 52V battery to test in coming week. if there is any news, will keep you all update.

A little investigation, as we develop a fat bike version base on AM1000 construction. how many people will interested to get a fat version full suspension bike with same motor system and good quality components? Who are planning for this model if there is good demands on it.
FAT_DSC6611.jpg

woggs1   1 mW

1 mW

Post by woggs1 » Mar 01 2018 10:03pm

Surfingjeff wrote:
Feb 28 2018 3:13pm
Im hoping duty is not much could be $ 100 or nothing if anybody can comment on that would be nice.
I bought an ebike from China for around $2400 and the duty was about $265.

hoojsn   1 W

1 W

Post by hoojsn » Mar 02 2018 2:42am

woggs1 wrote:
Mar 01 2018 10:03pm
Surfingjeff wrote:
Feb 28 2018 3:13pm
Im hoping duty is not much could be $ 100 or nothing if anybody can comment on that would be nice.
I bought an ebike from China for around $2400 and the duty was about $265.
As I said earlier on this post, my friend and I bought 1 bike each from Alibaba made and ship from China too.
Cost ship to South East Asia US$300 for my bike. And the other ship to US by Air for $685. For my Country sport equipment under the value of US$350 tax is waive. As my friend in State follow my lead on the declaration, as we request supplier to declare on Invoice: Description 1) Bicycle (Not Ebike) 2) US$300 for the bike. Result, both of us didn't paid any tax for the almost US$3K ebike. Take note battery will normally ship separately. So Ebike without battery is just a bicycle and nothing misleading on that. My advice, just to check on your country tax requirement to get away with it.

icehunter   1 mW

1 mW

Post by icehunter » Mar 02 2018 4:47am

More on the programming, Karl Gesslein's article is back after being taken off the website for review

https://electricbike-blog.com/2017/11/2 ... ike-drive/

Surfingjeff   10 W

10 W

Post by Surfingjeff » Mar 03 2018 4:09am

Duty on electric bike from China to USA was listed at 0% from what I have looked up. Items under $200 are also not taxed. Duty can range from 5-12%. I found this in Chinaimportal.com

Tom L   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Tom L » Mar 03 2018 11:13am

Depends where you are. It’s going to be 10% on item cost and shipping here in Australia. Heaps easier than the old duty system but still an expense you have to be prepared for (+ broker fees for the thieving middle men).

Edit/ btw, I ordered my bike from Frey just before the new year shutdown and was informed it would be delivered late March. Which suits me fine. I should be home by then.

Very easy ordering process. They even split the payment for me to avoid my credit card limit.
Last edited by Tom L on Mar 04 2018 8:28am, edited 1 time in total.

icehunter   1 mW

1 mW

Post by icehunter » Mar 04 2018 7:54am

"A little investigation, as we develop a fat bike version base on AM1000 construction. how many people will interested to get a fat version full suspension bike with same motor system and good quality components? Who are planning for this model if there is good demands on it."

I am saving up for your full suspension fat bike version :)
This motor is probably perfect for that kind of bike

18650   1 mW

1 mW

Post by 18650 » Mar 05 2018 4:45pm

Hello AM1000 fans and Frey Ebikes,

I am more and more interested in e-bikes, specifically an allround and commuter bike. I did some research, and even test rode some bikes, but haven't made a decision yet. When I discovered the AM1000 I was impressed by it's specs... not many bikes around have as much power and range/capacity! And I am happy for having found this forum... so much experience, and even the manufacturer is READING and LISTENING.

I still have a some doubts and questions:

1. Range: for those who already received their bikes: I know, it is (was) winter, but... did anybody have the chance to ride his bike and can confirm battery capacity and/or range?

2. Commuter version:
@FreyBikes, will there be a commuter option? (hardtail frame, 29", rack, lights and fenders)? Apparently I am not alone with this usecase.
@EndlessSphere community... what do you think, would the AM1000 do for commuting? What changes would you suggest?
  • tyres - less offroad-style? any recommendation?
  • rack - I like the "fat bike" rack offered by m2s... @FreyBikes, could anything similar be available for the AM1000 frame?
  • light - is there a lights option (see oleaiz' bike, P5)? Or otherwise, is there a cabling option for front and rear lights, connected to the battery (not via USB)?
3. Other technical questions:
  • motor/gear: does the G510 always come with steel gears, is this a standard Frey improvement, or was this an optional feature?
  • chain/sprockets wear: I heard some concerns about chain and sprockets wear. Somebody said that probably the chain + sprockets would need to be changed approx. every 1000 km: what is your experience with so much power on a mid drive? Maybe also from your past BBS02/HD experience? [edit: I read some more on this, even here on Endless Sphere, I now understand the IGH discussion.Would a carbon belt make sense in combination with an IGH? @Frey Bikes, could you design a tube splitter into the frame, in order to allow mounting/retrofitting a carbon belt? Were there any findings on IGHs? ]
  • display: I would prefer a smaller display - leaves more space on the handle bar, for light, or smartphone/navigation: will the AM1000, maybe the 2018 version, be fitted with the smaller Bafang display (see P11)? Are the displays compatible, can it be changed later? Where can the small display and controller be purchased from?
4. Design: in order not to attract the attention of theives or authorities, I prefer more 'understatement', discreet colour schemes, but still, the gunmetal black design (Page 1, robocam's bike) looks too stealthy or threatening to me: would matte aluminium be feasible, only for the frame? Or matte grey, as shown on the new fatbike? I also like icehunter's design approach for optically integrating the battery into the frame.

5. Order process: how did you all order and pay? via Alibaba? Did anybody already order from Germany, is there any experience with German customs? (any issues with CE certification, COC, customs duty?)

6. Estimated delivery time if ordering in spring?

Thank you all, I'm looking forward to your opinions and advice.
Last edited by 18650 on Mar 08 2018 9:18am, edited 1 time in total.

tommie   10 W

10 W

Post by tommie » Mar 05 2018 5:35pm

18650 wrote:
Mar 05 2018 4:45pm
Commuter version:
@FreyBikes, will there be a commuter option? (hardtail frame, 29", rack, lights and fenders)? Apparently I am not alone with this usecase.
Yes, i agree, there is a massive market out there for a hardtail or Hybrid ebike with these specifications. MTB is only a small market in comparison.

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Post by FREYebikes » Mar 10 2018 4:02am

Hi,

I try to answer your requests now.
We are planning to develop some more models depend on the market demands and potential quantity, such as you told 29" hard tail model. and some model for commuter. In fact,some people buy our bike also for commuting , use not too wide tire, 2.2-24", and the rear shock is lockable.
Also we can supply this bike with front and rear lights connect to the main battery.
QQ图片20180310171540.jpg
Now all this motor come with steel gear inside.

About chain, we are using KMC strengthen special for ebike using, I think the quality is good and durable, but not sure how long distance need to be changed, anyway, we are using the best available chain on our bikes.

About IGH, we will follow it and maybe try some on our bike in the near future, after confirm some suitable model. as I known, it should be customized to match the frame. At present, belt is impossible to use, as bafang supply the specific strengthen crank wheel not fit for belt. only for chain.

And also the display is matching come with the motor set, we can't choose by ourselves.

About color, most of customer will prefer black, I think black is will be the best choice if don't want to have much attention.

Any more question please feel free ask. you can write email to me at: sales@frey.bike
I will answer and support you quickly. Here not very often come, maybe every week 1-2 times. but if there is any news I will share with you here and answer question and requests from all you.

18650 wrote:

I am more and more interested in e-bikes, specifically an allround and commuter bike. I did some research, and even test rode some bikes, but haven't made a decision yet. When I discovered the AM1000 I was impressed by it's specs... not many bikes around have as much power and range/capacity! And I am happy for having found this forum... so much experience, and even the manufacturer is READING and LISTENING.

1. Range: for those who already received their bikes: I know, it is (was) winter, but... did anybody have the chance to ride his bike and can confirm battery capacity and/or range?

2. Commuter version:
@EndlessSphere community... what do you think, would the AM1000 do for commuting? What changes would you suggest?
  • rack - I like the "fat bike" rack offered by m2s... @FreyBikes, could anything similar be available for the AM1000 frame?
  • light - is there a lights option (see oleaiz' bike, P5)? Or otherwise, is there a cabling option for front and rear lights, connected to the battery (not via USB)?
  • motor/gear: does the G510 always come with steel gears, is this a standard Frey improvement, or was this an optional feature?
  • chain/sprockets wear: I heard some concerns about chain and sprockets wear. Somebody said that probably the chain + sprockets would need to be changed approx. every 1000 km: what is your experience with so much power on a mid drive? Maybe also from your past BBS02/HD experience? [edit: I read some more on this, even here on Endless Sphere, I now understand the IGH discussion.Would a carbon belt make sense in combination with an IGH? @Frey Bikes, could you design a tube splitter into the frame, in order to allow mounting/retrofitting a carbon belt? Were there any findings on IGHs? ]
  • display: I would prefer a smaller display - leaves more space on the handle bar, for light, or smartphone/navigation: will the AM1000, maybe the 2018 version, be fitted with the smaller Bafang display (see P11)? Are the displays compatible, can it be changed later? Where can the small display and controller be purchased from?
4. Design: in order not to attract the attention of theives or authorities, I prefer more 'understatement', discreet colour schemes, but still, the gunmetal black design (Page 1, robocam's bike) looks too stealthy or threatening to me: would matte aluminium be feasible, only for the frame? Or matte grey, as shown on the new fatbike? I also like icehunter's design approach for optically integrating the battery into the frame.

5. Order process: how did you all order and pay? via Alibaba? Did anybody already order from Germany, is there any experience with German customs? (any issues with CE certification, COC, customs duty?)

Last edited by FREYebikes on Mar 10 2018 4:30am, edited 1 time in total.

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Post by FREYebikes » Mar 10 2018 4:04am

Thank you for your advice. will considerate about it in the near future to develop some more type of models.
tommie wrote:
Mar 05 2018 5:35pm
18650 wrote:
Commuter version:
Yes, i agree, there is a massive market out there for a hardtail or Hybrid ebike with these specifications. MTB is only a small market in comparison.

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Post by FREYebikes » Mar 10 2018 4:28am

Hi, all friends here!
I would like to have a short report about our bike come with 52V battery how it performs.
We have a test on flat road to compare 48V and 52V battery, how is the difference on the power of start and accelerate by throttle at a distance 80 m. 0 to start, by throttle only, in the smallest gear.
2 person have the test. One in 60KGS weight, another in 75KGS weight, results as below:

First person, in 60KGS, distance 80m,
48V battery: finish at 30.0km/h by 10.4 seconds.
52V battery: finish at 31.6km/h by 10.0 seconds.

Second person, in 75KGS, same distance.
48V battery: finish at 29.0km/h by 12.9 seconds.
52V battery: finsih at 30.0km/h by 12.4 seconds.

Obviously, 52V is more powerful than 48V battery.

Tomorrow, we will have some more test ride up to mountain. Will follow up more news about our test to you.
Below is 2018 AM1000 we are testing and supplying soon.
QQ图片20180310171530.jpg

hoojsn   1 W

1 W

Post by hoojsn » Mar 10 2018 4:39am

FREYebikes wrote:
Mar 10 2018 4:02am
Hi,

I try to answer your requests now.
We are planning to develop some more models depend on the market demands and potential quantity, such as you told 29" hard tail model. and some model for commuter. In fact,some people buy our bike also for commuting , use not too wide tire, 2.2-24", and the rear shock is lockable.
Also we can supply this bike with front and rear lights connect to the main battery.
IMG_20180302_145012.jpg

Now all this motor come with steel gear inside.

About chain, we are using KMC strengthen special for ebike using, I think the quality is good and durable, but not sure how long distance need to be changed, anyway, we are using the best available chain on our bikes.

About IGH, we will follow it and maybe try some on our bike in the near future, after confirm some suitable model. as I known, it should be customized to match the frame. At present, belt is impossible to use, as bafang supply the specific strengthen crank wheel not fit for belt. only for chain.

And also the display is matching come with the motor set, we can't choose by ourselves.

About color, most of customer will prefer black, I think black is will be the best choice if don't want to have much attention.

Any more question please feel free ask. you can write email to me at: sales@frey.bike
I will answer and support you quickly. Here not very often come, maybe every week 1-2 times. but if there is any news I will share with you here and answer question and requests from all you.

18650 wrote:

2. Commuter version:

My opinion on the chain as I use 3 brand for my Ebike, KMC, SRAM EX1 chain and Taya.
KMC: had 2000 miles on it, feel some tear and wear and skip some cog.
SRAM EX1 Chain. 1,000 miles on it, still feels like new without Tear & Wear.
Taya Chain: Now I am now in the trying program, had seen from my friends ebike with 4,000 miles still going strong.

Ambient2010   100 µW

100 µW

Post by Ambient2010 » Mar 10 2018 8:31am

Is not the G510 released by Bafang even up to 60 volts?

nataS@phnet.fi   100 mW

100 mW

Post by nataS@phnet.fi » Mar 10 2018 8:57am

Ambient2010 wrote:
Mar 10 2018 8:31am
Full charged 52v battery is around 58,8 volts.

Ambient2010   100 µW

100 µW

Post by Ambient2010 » Mar 11 2018 6:17am

nataS@phnet.fi wrote:
Mar 10 2018 8:57am
Ambient2010 wrote:
Mar 10 2018 8:31am
Full charged 52v battery is around 58,8 volts.
I know that.
and a 48 volt battery has which charge relaxation? Then a 48 volt Ebike with 48 volt battery of your statement would be already overloaded.
I think that the Bafang G510 engine can also handle a 60 volt battery

Ivanovitch_k   10 W

10 W

Post by Ivanovitch_k » Mar 12 2018 6:11pm

The AM1000 looks really cool !

Does someone know if we can get only the bare frame or frame + motor/battery from Frey ?

I'd like to use fox fork / shock & wheels I already have with it !
BBS'ed Radon ZR Team 8:
BBS02B 750W - DPC750C - 48V 17.5Ah GA shark - 11 spd 11-40 Shimano XT, 42T N-W Precialps CW, KMC X11e chain, Gearsensor, XT RD, XTR Shifter, F Saint Brake, R XT Brake, RT99 200/160 Discs, magnetic shutoff, DT Swiss X1900 QR9 wheels, Manitou M30 air fork, 2.4" slick balloon schwalbe Super Moto X tires @2 bars, Suntour NCX suspension seatpost, ergon SFC3 saddle, ergon GP3 grips, Supernova M99 Pro + E12 Taillight

Keithonline   100 µW

100 µW

Post by Keithonline » Mar 12 2018 7:12pm

FREYebikes wrote:
Mar 10 2018 4:28am
Hi, all friends here!
I would like to have a short report about our bike come with 52V battery how it performs.
We have a test on flat road to compare 48V and 52V battery, how is the difference on the power of start and accelerate by throttle at a distance 80 m. 0 to start, by throttle only, in the smallest gear.
2 person have the test. One in 60KGS weight, another in 75KGS weight, results as below:

First person, in 60KGS, distance 80m,
48V battery: finish at 30.0km/h by 10.4 seconds.
52V battery: finish at 31.6km/h by 10.0 seconds.

Second person, in 75KGS, same distance.
48V battery: finish at 29.0km/h by 12.9 seconds.
52V battery: finsih at 30.0km/h by 12.4 seconds.

Obviously, 52V is more powerful than 48V battery.

Tomorrow, we will have some more test ride up to mountain. Will follow up more news about our test to you.
Below is 2018 AM1000 we are testing and supplying soon.
QQ图片20180310171530.jpg

Ivy-

Thanks for the report. I really like how you give feedback on your development work. Keep up the great work.

Regarding the battery, doesn’t your 48V actually have more cells total than the 52V?

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Post by FREYebikes » Mar 14 2018 10:55am

We designed new sticker for 2018 AM1000 in 2 colors as below:
Wish you will like it!
IMG_20180314_171246.jpg
IMG_20180314_171309.jpg
IMG_20180314_171922.jpg
IMG_20180314_171939.jpg
IMG_20180314_174133.jpg
IMG_20180314_174224.jpg
IMG_20180314_173755.jpg
IMG_20180314_173809.jpg

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Post by FREYebikes » Mar 14 2018 11:09am

We have some test riding recent days, the frame performs better now!
Below some photos for you have a look, and maybe few videos will be loaded up in coming days.
微信图片_20180314232604.jpg
微信图片_20180314232604.jpg (115.54 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
微信图片_20180314232527.jpg
微信图片_20180314232527.jpg (158.97 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
微信图片_20180314232729.jpg
微信图片_20180314232729.jpg (106.48 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
微信图片_20180314232740.jpg
微信图片_20180314232740.jpg (120.02 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
微信图片_20180314232653.jpg
微信图片_20180314232653.jpg (178.5 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
微信图片_20180315000654.jpg
微信图片_20180315000654.jpg (161.4 KiB) Viewed 1828 times

hoojsn   1 W

1 W

Post by hoojsn » Mar 14 2018 11:20am

FREYebikes wrote:
Mar 14 2018 10:55am
Wish you will like it!
IMG_20180314_171246.jpg
IMG_20180314_171309.jpg
IMG_20180314_171922.jpg
IMG_20180314_171939.jpg
IMG_20180314_174133.jpg
IMG_20180314_174224.jpg
IMG_20180314_173755.jpg
IMG_20180314_173809.jpg
Nice Colour, Ivy I saw an article in https://electricbike-blog.com/2018/03/1 ... t-battery/
Karl mentioned Bafang has a New Magnesium Body that is 3 Lbs lighter than the current stock. It maybe good if you can offer the lighter weight version in your G4 model.

Jebu   10 mW

10 mW

Post by Jebu » Mar 14 2018 12:40pm

Jebu wrote:
Feb 25 2018 3:01pm
Is possible to add a button to change the motor modes on the flight?
what about with waterproof?
Is possible to change the chainring or install a chaintset with a front derailleur?
@FREYebikes can you resolve my questions?

fechter   100 GW

100 GW

Post by fechter » Mar 14 2018 2:00pm

That looks great. I like the 3" wide tires. Do a 4" fat tire someday.

OT: Just curious, In China, can you ride electric bikes anywhere regular bikes are allowed?
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

LUMOcustom   1 µW

1 µW

Post by LUMOcustom » Mar 14 2018 11:50pm

G'day,
As I'm still very interested in this bike, but want it with an IGH I have a question to you guys who follow this thread here.
- Is it only me who would pay the extra $ for a Rohlof IGH?
- Are there possibly any other options of IGHs for this bike?

I ask this to get an indication if it would make sense for Frey to buy a handful of above IGHs for customers like me who don't want a derailleur. If enough people would be interested, Ivy would surely make it possible!

As we have seen on this thread before Frey is very interested what we - the customer - want. And I really want this bike with an IGH! Even if it's heavier, it is much more durable than any derailleur! That only can be good!

Furthermore I am interested to see if there are other people in Aotearoa interested in this bike as we might be able to ship them together and save a lot of money in shipping costs. Ivy indicated that sea shipping only makes sense for 3+ bikes as shipping would be charged by m3.

And my last question is, are the Wattwheel bikes produced by Frey. Have seen one today and bike looks very similar to Frey AM1000, just with inferior parts. But will give them a call in the next couple of weeks to see what is what...

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Uli

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Post by FREYebikes » Mar 16 2018 6:34am

Have never heard about a lighter Ultra from Bafang
hoojsn wrote:
Mar 14 2018 11:20am
FREYebikes wrote:
Mar 14 2018 10:55am
Wish you will like it!
IMG_20180314_171246.jpg
IMG_20180314_171309.jpg
IMG_20180314_171922.jpg
IMG_20180314_171939.jpg
IMG_20180314_174133.jpg
IMG_20180314_174224.jpg
IMG_20180314_173755.jpg
IMG_20180314_173809.jpg
Nice Colour, Ivy I saw an article in https://electricbike-blog.com/2018/03/1 ... t-battery/
Karl mentioned Bafang has a New Magnesium Body that is 3 Lbs lighter than the current stock. It maybe good if you can offer the lighter weight version in your G4 model.