Advanced Chargers

automan25

100 mW
I've decided I should probably get an advanced charger to charge my Luna Shark and Jumbo Shark batteries to only 80% capacity in order to get them to last as long as possible. Luna carries such a charger, but they cost $100 and I'd need two of them since my batteries are ofdifferent voltages. Does anyone know of less expensive options, or a charger that can handle multiple voltages?

The most versatile I can think of is the Cycle Satiator by Grin Tech http://ebikes.ca , but is definitely not cheaper. However, it's very programmable (on-unit or via USB) and is weathersealed and vibration resistant. You can use presets for each of your batteries and simply select from the menu which one to use each time you charge a pack.

More affordably, but also weathersealed/vibration resistant, though not programmable, there are adjustable LED PSUs that can be used as chargers, but they are nto designed as them, so don't have some of the safety shutoffs/etc, like Meanwell HLG-x00H-xxA from 100w on up to 600w (maybe more) versions, up to at least 54-58v output and up to at least 10-12A. You'd have to use a multimeter to monitor them while you adjusted the voltage and current, as they have no inbuilt display for that. Also you'd have to do this adjsutment manually (with a screwdriver) for each different pack voltage you want to charge (12s, 13s, 14s, etc).

I got a luna advanced charger about a week before I decided to go to 52v and dropped the money on a Satiator and I am glad i did, I have a 72v pack now along with 65v pack and its so convenient to use. And silent

I've been wanting a satiator for years. I just retired, so now cash is fairly scarce till my SS starts.

Best bet in the hundred bucks ballpark will be the chargers at EM3ev, some of which have a three way switch. You can ask them to set the switch so one setting charges 14s, the other 13s, and the third about half charged for either one.

if your voltages are really different, like 48v and 24v, then you will need two. At that point, a bit more for a satiator does make the most sense.

I got a 52V charger from EM3EV in China.
It's got a 90% 100 % switch. Not quite what you want, but still useful.
$60
They claim that it will balance the cells at 90% as well as 100%, but I have no way to verify this.

espresso said:
They claim that it will balance the cells at 90% as well as 100%, but I have no way to verify this.
That will depend on the BMS in the pack being charged. So it may well be true of the packs they sell, if they all come with BMS that begin balance at that voltage. Could be true of a lot, but might nto be true of all.

If your pack's BMS doesn't begin balancing until the complete top of charge is reached, with cells at or above 4.2v, then it would need "100%" voltage (from a charger that's got your pack's max voltage as it's max output) to balance.

Back