la Nina rears her ugly head

La Niña Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
******************************************************************************* :)

Definitely got some rain; it's been drizzling for several hours now, harder and softer by turns, more than a 1/4" so far. No real river roads or lakes yet. No thunderstorms yet either.

Just wet enough to make drivers go stupidly faster than they usually would (instead of slowing down) and take much worse risks than they normally would, running red lights, big trucks and buses accelerating into yellow lights and thru reds, instead of slowing down to prepare to stop. One bus made a left turn thru a light that had been red for a while, and almost took out oncoming cars on the crossstreet, who themselves sped up as they approached the intersection (you could hear their engines revving higher and higher, as if they were racing to reach the light).

(a different bus did the same thing a few nights ago at the other end of Metrocenter; maybe it's the same driver; can't see in there to tell).

2" since last night. Brings my season total to 12.8". This time last year: over 58".

Well, at least I won't have to water the yard for a while.

fechter said:
2" since last night. Brings my season total to 12.8". This time last year: over 58".

Well, at least I won't have to water the yard for a while.

Great news. Water and no flooding!

53F in MN tomorrow WEIRD. But it means bicycling go indoor farmers market will be comfortable.
13" BEoLW NORMAL SNOW...

La Niña Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
***************************************************************** :)

48-HOUR PRECIPITATION STORM TOTALS AS OF _________________________902 PM SATURDAY_________________________
Station________________ inches _____elevation
HEMET VALLE VISTA ___0.18 ________2050
Probably a little more headed for us overnight. :)

STATION_______________ PRECIP(IN) ______________ELEVATION(FT)
HEMET VALLE VISTA _____0.28_______________________ 2050
Forecast: sunny with highs today near 60°f then mid to upper 70s for the rest of the week. :)
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/dml/west/fd/rbtop.html

Saturday
A slight chance of rain. Patchy fog. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 68.
Saturday Night
A slight chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46.
Sunday
A slight chance of rain. Partly sunny, with a high near 70.

Saturday
A chance of rain after 10am. Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 70.
Saturday night
A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50.
Sunday
A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 66.
Sunday Night
A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 45.
Monday
A chance of rain. Partly sunny, with a high near 69.

Got just enough to barely wet the ground last night. They predict chances of rain every day for the next week or so, but not much in the way of totals. At least it has warmed up enough that I don't have ice on the car in the morning.

Saturday
A 50 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 65. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Saturday Night
A 50 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a low around 47.
Sunday
A 50 percent chance of rain. Mostly sunny, with a high near 67.
Sunday night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 46.
Monday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 71.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 46.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 70.
Tuesday Night
A slight chance of showers. Patchy fog. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 45.
Wednesday
A slight chance of showers. Patchy fog. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 65.

Pineapple Express poised to strike like a cobra spreading it's hood.
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/dml/west/fd/rbtop.html
Weather summary shows promise for a March Miracle.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t0CQUSkgdA0&feature=youtu.be

0.1" here. I can tell the pineapple express is aimed my way because I haven't had ice on the car for a few days.

So far this season, about 1/5 of what we got last year.

It's been significantly warmer on average this winter; most of my mulberry trees kept at least some of their leaves. The two largest nearest the house kept a lot of the south-facing leaves of lower branches. That hasn't happened before that I can remember--they always lose all their leaves, and sometimes even teh top foot or two of some branches die from frostbite, but it didnt' freeze at all this year.

Dropped below freezing by dawn a few days here and there, but not for long enough to do anything more than occasional patches of frost on stuff at teh ground where dew settled, and mostly not even that.

None of my lantana leaves turned dark or purple/black, so none of it got frostbite (and it's very sensitive to that).

If I could have afforded the water, it's been warm enough to have kept watering like summer and have kept growing stuff thru the winter. Not enough significant rain to do it, though. Now it's getting warm enough I have to water the small / new stuff so it'll grow rather than dry out and die off. (I have a bunch of little mulberry sproutlings I transplanted last fall and expected all to die, but so far most have done fine, and even kept their leaves thru winter, and are now sprouting up quickly. One in the backyard has doubled it's short height in just the last few days!

La Niña Rain Gage
************************************************************************************** :)
Some nice big drops out there but I can't hear them falling while inside. Snow level is above 8,000 ft. Next weeks storm is supposed to be bigger and colder.

Suddenly the forecast changed last night from being sunny for foreseeable future, to 30% chance this afternoon, 50-70% chance tonight, and 20-30% chance tomorrow.

It's cloudy out there, but it doesn't feel like rain (my joints usually warn me).

72 and sunny today. Good day for a ride.
Rain is supposed to come back tomorrow and for the rest of the week.

Back