new eZip motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
All right! Make sure the nuts are tight but not too tight. Is the fork aluminum or steel? You said it had lips, if so be sure to put washers that fit in side the lips so you can tighten them without breaking the drop out. Steel won't snap Aluminum will.

I did not have any washers which fit in the Lawyers lip. I pedal first before touching the throttle and then I barley touch it when I do. I realize the lack of torque arms and the lawyers lip could be an issue so I compensate by using a very light touch on the throttle with the bike already moving from pedal power. The washer on the inside is designed to keep the axle from spinning out.

I really do not feel like uninstalling the motor at this point. I just can't let anyone ride it but me as if anyone enguages full or even half throttle starting out and expecially if not pedaling it could be a disaster. I do not plan on racing this bike. It is set up mostly for pedal power so I can get extended range from my battery packs. I will be able to make the 5+ mile trip to my heart doctor with no problem.

I won't even be riding up any steep hills. I listen to the motor also and any sign of the motor straining or high rpms expecially up a hill I will get off and walk. I realize I am dealing with plastic gears and will not be putting metal gears in there to make it loud and attract attention. I can ride this bike downtown as long as I stay off the sidewalks. Thanks.

LC out.

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. What is next ? e bike #7 and a powerful upgrade. :twisted:

OK. I have mastered chain drives and hub kits. I have three chain drive and three hub powered electric bicycles.

I have a 29" Mongoose still which has belt drive written all over it but that will be a professional build with the 1,800W motor.

I am not ready for a professional build just yet. I will need to do some expermienting first. I have a decent 26" dual suspension mountain bike and I feel the 24V 500W unite motor which is currently on the front of the dual motor 20" cargo bike would work great at 36V on the back of the 26" dual suspension.

The next step would be moving the 800W 36V Unite motor from the front to the back of the 20" dual suspension. Then order a second 800W 36V motor for the front but hook it up for a belt drive. there is a 56 tooth spoke kit on the front which can be used on the back and a belt drive on the front for saftey as a chain coming off on the front could flip the bike.

I have one 48V brushed controller and will order a second one. I will need to run 12S LiPo and I believe geaaring will be for 40 mph. Since I do not know how to gear a belt drive I will need help doing my first belt drive. I know nobody will help me to go 40 mph so it is why I will do the 26" belt drive first and gearing will only be for 22 to 24 mph with the 24V 500W motor at 36V and 750 watt. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

LC out.

Attachments

• 40mph.png
    40mph.png
    130.3 KB · Views: 2,761
Kit came with 1 torque arm.
Pretty sure I saw 2 U washers for the Lawyer's lip. ... ?

Kit came with 1 torque arm.
Pretty sure I saw 2 U washers for the Lawyer's lip. ... ?

There was one U washer but was not from the kit. It was from the torque arms I had on the Schwinn or 800 watt hub motor kit. It was not a perfect fit and was not about to wait another week to find the right size washers from Home Depot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a3eGlHAzvY

That is how I installed it but did not have to do the disk brake.

I was going to put the one torque arm on but it did not fit flush as it was too wide and with a lawyers lip that would have been a tragadey. The only other alternative would be different forks. (see bottom pic) The torque arm did not work due to the way the fork is designed (the right of the lug nut)

Please note that this bike is factory and almost brand new. It has not been butchered like my other builds. Also I have no other forks which would fit a 700c hybrid bike so I tightened the nuts up really good. I can check them from time to time to make sure they stay tight and be very easy on the throttle and take off first with the pedals.

My leg did not hurt today from pedaling last night so I am high enough up on the seat. The only issue I got with the bike is getting on and off it. It pedals like a dream and I only have to gently touch the throttle. It is a 500 watt motor and probably only use 150 to 250 of those watts to do between 10 and 15 mph on flat and mabye 300 to 350 watts going up small hills with pedal assist.

I just tightened the axle nut very slightly before I took the picture. The motor side was snug. I do not want to snap anything so am not using all my strength. It is tighter than the guy in the video but not tight enough to strip the threads or snap anything.

I guess nobody would ride this bike. I will show a video demonstrating how to enguage a throttle for a front hub or chain drive motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vQXY3rYVZ4&feature=youtu.be

Basically there is no sidnicifant sig·nif·i·cant. :lol: stress on the axle from the hub motor if it is operated properley. Taking into consideration the weaknesses in the system serious precautions can be deployed. It boils down to the light touch on the throttle and not using the throttle without pedaling 5 to 7 mph first. Thanks.

LC out.

Attachments

• IMG_3288.JPG
    IMG_3288.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 2,739
As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. Battery voltage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ItWdnyz5yY

26650 cells are not only greater capacity but can be run down to 3.3V and fully charged is 4.2V. 18650 cells could be damaged below 3.5V

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/37972

that link informs us that 26650 cells are better than 18650 cells.

I will be ordering two more 36V 18650 packs as I have three e bikes which will run off of them. However I also have three bikes which would run better with 12S LIFEPO4 26650 cells. or two 6S.

36 volts
Currie
29" geared hub motor

24 volts
Dual motor cargo bike.

12S LiPo
24" cargo bike with 800W hub motor
20" bike with 48V chain drive.

Since I have two 6S chargers it is time to build four 6S packs from 26650 cells. I don't see any solderless kits for 26650 cells onlt 18650 cells. I may have to solder a BMS. If so then I will need to learn to do it. As I want four 6S packs with 26650 cells.

With six e bikes I will need four of each 6S with the 26650 cells and four of the 36V packs which I currently have two of. Thanks everyone and please post when you can.

LC out.

You need U washers! - Tightening axle nuts, without, might produce worse stress than the hub motor?
U washers, with the single torque arm should be sufficient with a 500w hub motor.
Try putting the TA bolt through the small segment 1st!

Oh ... was looking through your old pictures and found the green instruction manual you said you never got ... and the U washer, also claimed you never got, needed for the lawyers lip on your fork.

U washer & manual.JPG

With a bit of exasperation, why would you drill and bolt the seat post in place?

With a bit of exasperation, why would you drill and bolt the seat post in place?

Oh ... was looking through your old pictures and found the green instruction manual you said you never got ... and the U washer, also claimed you never got, needed for the lawyers lip on your fork.

No pages. Pictures are back and front. I put two hub kits togeather. The one Sunder sent on three bikes and the 800W 20" hub motor on two bikes. If the U washer and torque arm fit I would have installed them. I appreciate your posting and trying to help. The 700c hybrid forks on the bike I have no choice but to deal with.

The seat post is quick release. It could fail and cause an accident. I really do not like quick release anything. With wheels it makes them easy to steal. Also the rear rack is the chepo Wall-Mart model which my batteries and controller are on. If the seat crashes it will come down on the rear tire.

When I tried using that U washer and the torque arm they did not look flush. Note when I build e bikes I don't drink. Mabye 1 or two beers but wait until after building before I indulge to the point where my judjment is impaired. My normal drinking time is after 2AM.

I might be able to find washers which will be flush but need to get to Home Depot for that. i also might have to grind them. Also I could fabricate a piece of flat steel to work better than torque arms but why go to the trouble if I can simply take it easy on the throttle ??? It is not a bike I will be going fast on.

The next project will be replacing the rear 24V 500W motor on the dual motor cargo bike with the 1,800 watt brushless motor. :twisted:

The front motor will stay as is at 48V geared for 40 mph. My question is will I be able to use a single thumb throttle for both motors. The front motor being a 36V 800 watt Unite but at 48V with 40 mph gearing. I will calculate a sprocket for the rear 1,800 watt 48V brushless motor to also be geared for 40 mph. I could probably push 45 mph if I were to go with a smaller sprocket on the front so both motors are geared about the same but 40 mph will be enough of a rush. Thanks.

LC out.

PS. I am lazy and owe the utility companey a ton of money so why not just do the 48V upgrade and leave the 24V motor on the rear. :lol: It is not like I drive the bike daily. I shall replace the 24V controllers with 48V Chinese controllers and hook up a speedo. :lol: I want to have some fun at the cheapest possible way. When the 24V 500W Unite motor finally fail I will replace with the 36V 800W motor like is on front and total wattage shall be 2,133 watts with 40 mph gearing. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:IMG_3295.JPGIMG_3292.JPGIMG_3293.JPG

LC wrote:
I will be ordering two more 36V 18650 packs as I have three e bikes which will run off of them. However I also have three bikes which would run better with 12S LIFEPO4 26650 cells. or two 6S.

Please note: Lifepo4 are not and I repeat ARE NOT the same voltage Lilo or LiPo. 12s Lilo is 44v nominal and 12s LiFePo4 is 36v. Please don't believe that Youtube or the post in the flashlight forum. The cells they found are not what you will get or are what to use. The Youtube was a guy saying that all 26650/18650 cells are not 3.7 they are 4.2v. You can charge any cell to what ever you want with the wrong charger. Those 26650 cell were not LiFePo4s they were LiLo cells. He was saying that we are wrong on the voltage of al cells. EVEN the manufactures! 3.6/3.7v is the NOMINAL voltage or kinda the middle to low of the voltage cycle.

If 26650s were any good Tesla would be building them and using them in their cars.

I asked before about the forks of the bikes. Are they steel?
DO you remember you snapped the original aluminum one on the first frt motor you installed.

I realize you have learned a lot over the years of US pounding you about what and what not to do. BUT you still need to learn and listen to the members that have much more experience than you. DA has pounded you to use U washers on the fork with a torque arm. Why don't you? You think that slow advance of the throttle will handle that. Over time that axle will work it's way loose if not washed a tightened properly. Is there room to put washers inside the fork and outside?

I sure hope you read this, while sober!

Dan

I realize you have learned a lot over the years of US pounding you about what and what not to do. BUT you still need to learn and listen to the members that have much more experience than you. DA has pounded you to use U washers on the fork with a torque arm. Why don't you? You think that slow advance of the throttle will handle that. Over time that axle will work it's way loose if not washed a tightened properly. Is there room to put washers inside the fork and outside?

I sure hope you read this, while sober!

OK.

The first thing to do is test with a magnet to see if they are steel. I do not think it is steel as the bike does not weigh much.
If it is aluminum then I guess I will have to flip the bike upside down and tie the wheel to a hook on the ceiling as there is no way in hell I am removing the entire motor. There should be enough slack in the wires to simply remove a few zip ties and tie the wheel a few inches above the drop outs.

At this point I shall show you all what I am dealing with with close up camera pictures. It will be possible to install torque arme if I get the grinder out and butcher perfect factory forks. As far as the washer if the one that came with the kit does not work then I will have to go to home depot and find washers and buy an attachment for my drill to make it a U washer so it will fit.

Unfortunatlly I do not have a way to get to Home Depot. Also we got hammered with another snow storm. I guess the bike will go out in the hallway for now with the Schwinn and the dual motor bike I do not ever ride. It will collect dust. I still have the 24" bike with the hub motor on the back. I also have the other 20" bike with the chain drive I just built before the 29" build.

I will be using that to go to Home Depot when the Snow melts. Unfortunatlly the only way there without getting in trouble with the police is about a 5 mile trip which with the 20" chain drive as tight as a banjo. That bike will not even go that far on the SONA packs. Also the 24" bike with the hub motor wont run on those SONA packs. Furthermore I do not want to push the old LiPo packs on an inefficient chain drive or use the 800W hub motor with no pedal.

It looks like I built six ebikes and can't ride any of them now. :oops: Right now if you guys want to help me then help me build some battery packs that I can charge with my LiPo chargers. They are versitile and there are solderless kits which will work with a BMS. I just want decent cells and do not know but my chargers should charge 18650 cells.

Doug is the only one who can install pedal chains and is about 5 miles out of town. That is a ten mile round trip. What that means is I will need 20 mile range as with an ineffiecent chain drive 20 miles of range on an effiecient pedal assist equels only 10 miles on my tight chain drive.

I want to build four 6S packs. Each pack should be good for five miles so two in series = 10 miles and then I can switch with the other two for a 20 mile round trip. Thanks and please let me know where to get some decent 18650 cells then.

LC out.

That's for reading my post. I know you could do the chain if you paid attention. It's not hard, just messy.

Here is a link to good cells. Cheap compared to most places. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=61608&e=1&view=unread#unread Go to the first page where they are. I still don't like the idea. You still don't have the soldering skills to do the wiring & bms. Not saying you can't just concerned.

Yes your chargers will charge 18650 just like it charges the LiPo packs. I sent you a 36v charger.

The U washers should fit, if not grind them down, not the fork.

Dan

That's for reading my post. I know you could do the chain if you paid attention. It's not hard, just messy.

Here is a link to good cells. Cheap compared to most places. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... ead#unread Go to the first page where they are. I still don't like the idea. You still don't have the soldering skills to do the wiring & bms. Not saying you can't just concerned.

Yes your chargers will charge 18650 just like it charges the LiPo packs. I sent you a 36v charger.

The U washers should fit, if not grind them down, not the fork.

Dan

Thanks but the link for those cells are 2014. I have been researching and this is the best deal I can find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-LG-18650-LGDAS31865-2200MAH-CELLS-LITHIUM-ION-BATTERIES-POWERWALL-DARK-BLUE/173205972594?hash=item2853e16672:g:ubcAAOSw7VhaowuO

I don't have the money though.

Basically I built the 700c bike to solve my battery issues until I could get a sweet deal. Therefore I will need to make the 700c bike safe. You and DA seem to think it is not safe the way it is and both of you can't be wrong so I guess I will need to take a second look at it if possible.

Basically if I have to compleatly uninstall the motor then I will be looking for a different bike to put it on which I did not want to do as I finally got a perfect pedal bike with all the gears. If I can get the wheel off without unpluging everything then I will post up close pictures.

OK. As the pictures show the washer I drilled out and filed down does fit but is NOT thick enough. I guess if I had a gas powered car I could run all over the heavens and earth to every mom and pop hardware store if Home depot and Lowes does not have the correct size washer. I doubt the U washer would have been the right size either. basically I am dealing with a lawyers lip straight from hell.

As you can see the torque arm won't fit. I could not bring myself to use the grinder on the fork. Also the U washer DA mentioned would not even fit, I tried it when first installing the motor. It was a little small also to grind with the big grinder. I will need a small grinding wheel which attaches to a drill which Wall-Mart does not have. I would have to buy a $30 or $40 dremel kit. So basically it looks like I wasted $150 for the motor as it really is not compatable with that bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyb-7kIoD3g&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• IMG_3288.JPG
    IMG_3288.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 2,597
  • IMG_3297.JPG
    IMG_3297.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 2,595
  • IMG_3306.JPG
    IMG_3306.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 2,590
  • IMG_3307.JPG
    IMG_3307.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 2,590
  • IMG_3308.JPG
    IMG_3308.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 2,590
  • IMG_3310.JPG
    IMG_3310.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 2,590
  • IMG_3305.JPG
    IMG_3305.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 2,589
As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. You guys were right again. :oops:

I found three of those U washers in the botton drawer. I removed one before taking the picture and the other is on the right side of the drawer out of camera view. They were perfect fit on the pedal side and less than 1 minute of filing I got one on the motor side also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTULSzJSlxc&feature=youtu.be

I played around with the torque arm and got that to fit too.

I guess I now have the perfect pedal assist electric bicycle.

Thanks guys. I could not have done it without you.

LC out.

Attachments

• IMG_3312.JPG
    IMG_3312.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 2,586
  • IMG_3313.JPG
    IMG_3313.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 2,577
  • IMG_3317.JPG
    IMG_3317.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 2,577
  • IMG_3320.JPG
    IMG_3320.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 2,577
  • IMG_3323.JPG
    IMG_3323.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 2,576
I am looking at my options when building battery packs.

https://vruzend.com/product-category/battery-kits/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-LG-18650-LGDAS31865-2200MAH-CELLS-LITHIUM-ION-BATTERIES-POWERWALL-DARK-BLUE/173205972594?hash=item2853e16672:g:ubcAAOSw7VhaowuO

https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-LG-18650-2600MAH-LGABB41865-CELLS-LITHIUM-ION-BATTERIES-POWERWALL-EBIKE-EV/202227213667?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49917%26meid%3Dd9198c48716f4b0c98fb22506edf7e73%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D173205972594%26itm%3D202227213667&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

The VRUZEND DIY kits are for 52 cells so I will need two for 96 cells total. Also four BMS. Each will need to work for 24 cells, 4 rows of six cells in parallel series. I notice that the 99 LG cells seem to have three already in series. that would not work with the VRUZEND kit. I would need to do five 18 cell 6S packs. That would require five BMS instead of four. I really do not know which way to go here. :pancake:

Would the cheap BMS in the picture work with the 99 LG cells which are three in parallel ? How would it fit togeather without the VRUZEND kit. Since there are three cells per unit and 33 units it seems like the cheap BMS in the picture would work to make 18 cell 6S packs.

Also I do not know what amp rating for the BMSs. I looked at several BMS units and wiring diagrams. I am not sure what BMS units I will need and what will make these packs worth building for the money.

SOS. LOL. Thanks.

LC out.

Attachments

• BMS1.png
    BMS1.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 2,550
Much better. See you can do things you think you can't. I would turn the washers around so the washers also help hold the axle in the fork. Run it a few miles and check tightness. Don't do it drunk as you might snap the fork trying to crank the nuts too tight. What happened to the bike with disc brakes?

As I have said it before, "Stubborn". Doing your own battery takes a lot of time and YOU cannot be drunk at any time. One wrong cell will ruin it. Maybe not all the cell but some. A bad cell can do the same. I have done what DA has done with laptop cells. I tested all the cells before putting them together. WOW that took time. The cells you found are a fair price for what they are. If that is too much money you should not consider it at all. You should consider finding more of the 36v 4ah packs like you have. I know you think you want to go faster than the speed of sound, BUTDON'T. As I told you before, I have done 40+ on a heavy strong bike. New rear swing are of Chromoly which was needed after breaking the Aluminum one. I still can do that number but do not like the Idea of crashing at that speed, which is only done on a smoth flat road. As I have also said before, YOU will do as you please regards of what others recommend.

Glad you did figure out how to do it.

Dan

The bike dont go up hill. It quits even with pedal assist but is 39.3V when I get home. No clue but mostly pedaled today. :shock:

Looks like those SONA batteries are total junk. Won't be buying any more. at least the old lipos made it up the hill.

Why would the batteries quit and BMS go off on a hill that is not even that steep. The 6S 8.0 LiPo pack made it up that hill with even the most ineficient chain drive. It simply makes no sense. I will post a picture of the hill. The SONA packs did the same thing then when I hooked them up to the 800W motor. They did not shut off. They just did not have any power. It has to be the BMS. Also that was on the flat attempting to take off with the 800W hub motor on the rear. Thanks.

LC out.

Attachments

• hillU.png
    hillU.png
    166.6 KB · Views: 2,503
latecurtis said:
I really hate people. Killing someone with my bare hands sounds like fun.

You are sick. Someone should report you to the police for a mandatory mental evaluation.

mad.png10:53 AM

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. Evaulate that :!: . Mabye Gregorey can be my online mental health doc. :)

I wish I could simply move out of here. I live in the ghetto where everyone is an addict and wants something. 50 cents, a ciggerette, a free beer. Nobody wants to work for anything. Everyone wants a hand out but when they are 15 to 20 years younger than me and are too lazy to find a job and want to take from older people on social security it kind of hits a nerve. Expecially when our bills with rent , electric and internet are way over $1,100 and we only get about 1,500 a month between the two of us. It gets kind of sickening.

Therefore I do not agree with Gregory. Mabye he should send us tickets to Aulstralia. It has to be better than here. At least the weather.

I worked from the time I was 13 years old until the age of 49 except for a couple of years I was in state prison back in 92 and 93. I earned my disability check.

I got knee problems , back problems and mental problems as well as a heart condition and when I posted last night had some retard knocking on my door who obviouslly stole from me two nights in a row. The sad part is I have to keep dealing with these people as they live downstairs. They even have the nerve to think they are my friend. I guess they are but will never be my best friend like the dude I go downtown to see about once a week. Sometimes they cook a meal and do something nice but then ruin it the next day by lying or stealing.

However these people are more of a family then the people I am actually related to so I get really mad at them but do not hold a grudge. I just refuse to answer the door for a few days. I actually threw an SLA battery thru the top of the door about a year ago after about five or six times knocking wanting a free beer. I said no each time and an hour or so later pound, pound on my door. My fuse is a lot longer than when I was younger but still has a limit. The dude on the other side of the door helped me fix it about a week later so the landlord did not evict me. :lol:

This has been ongoing and can't find a cheaper or better place to live. I disowned my family because they could not be bothered to help me move or give me a ride to see my son Jessie for the holidays. They all think their better than me and go around with their noses stuck straight up in the air. They don't want me around and use every excuse possible not to see me even for Christmas so I told all of them to have a nice life as I am never speaking to any of them as long as I live and do not bother coming to my funeral. My own mother is included but if she shows up I will probably talk to her and mabye go to lunch. That happens mabye once every three or four years. :lol:

I had ART. aggression replacment treatment back in 93 before being released, I did not answer the door last night about the time I posted and went to sleep in a dark quiet room. Enough said.

Now I would like to know what my choices are with batteries. I can live with walking about two or three blocks up that little hill. However I do not want to have to with my chain drives and obviouslly won't be able to go even 30 mph with the SONA packs. I need better batteries and am not sure what my choices are. Do I need to order more LiPo packs or are there other alternatives. Please let me know. I will post a picture of the other hill which is not as steep that they did make it up without the BMS cutting out.

Thanks for posting and please let me know.

LC out.

3/17/18

Another great trip . The bike is awsome, Aggressiive pedsal assuist and got upp first hill this time

Attachments

• hill2.png
    hill2.png
    179.6 KB · Views: 2,490
bear.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEVYsmpcbvk

You are sick. Someone should report you to the police for a mandatory mental evaluation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkFqg5wAuFk

Mabye but the way I see it is people who f u c k with me definatlly need a mental evaulation more than I do. The words to that song ring the truth of how I feel. For every action there may be a re action. And it is not always pretty.

It is like doing the benny hill on that grizzley bear. I am actually a nice guy and if treated with respect could be any or your best friend. I am intellegent and street smart. I have not been in trouble with law in way over 20 years.

I also am an old man and anyone who wants to test me for weakness or disrespect me might as well do the benny hill on the bear because the result of such a poor decision in judgement shall be similar.

I just took picture of voltage before charge. Note I pedaled without motor all the while going downtown yesterday and pedal assist on the way downtown and on the way home. I am using very little energy from the batteries. Therefore would like to know why the batteries cut out on me when going up the hill. I did not run them low and I was pedaling. Please let me know.

LC out.

Attachments

• IMG_3326.JPG
    IMG_3326.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 2,459
Went downtown . and back.

listened to DA.

aggressive pedal assist and throttle before hill.

No cuttoff and perfect performance;

aaaaaaaaamabye the SONA paxcks ok.

thanks.

3/17/18 5:30 PM.

Just got up and answered the door. I guess they are making food downstairs. St. Patricks day. I found three of my missing beers. I hid them so nobody could help themselves. They still owe me $5 but not worried about it cause they cooked food. Got to get some ice cream at stewerts for dessert.

The pirates Tides of fortune game will have a special event today. I need to log in there. The sun is shining. It would be a really nice day to ride. I got drunk last night. My eels are hungry but they don't eat corn beef. I think I got some worms in the fridge. If not will have to go to Wall-Mart later.

I really can't afford 100 cells for $150. I wish I could get like 30 cells for under $50 and can build a 48V pack. The solderless kit is $27 but will be able to make three 30 cell packs eventually.

Man I hate it when I can't find a pair of socks. :lol: Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtJFKUCDh6s&feature=youtu.be

LC out

3/17/18

9:05 PM

was thinking about going to Wall-Mart to put $$$ on my card to order one of these packs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMNSUNG-36V-4-4Ah-Lithium-Battery-For-6-5-7-8-2-Wheels-Balancing-smart-board/302673355411?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49917%26meid%3D7d72724c1223476290938cf14509ef02%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D173220714149%26itm%3D302673355411&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

However am wondering if it has a BMS. Also it says they are Samsung which is one of the top brands and the real deal not fake right? If anyone knows or bought these I would greatly appreciate it. I really don't have $$$ to throw away.

Since I really don't see any deals on 18650 cells to build two 6S packs I was thinking about ordering one of these this month and a second next month. Also the charger Dan sent I was wondering if it is to charge 4 packs in parallel and if it would be too much current to charge two in parallel or a single pack. It is like three times the size of my small charger so want to make sure I don't damage the packs by charging with too many amps. Thanks.

LC out.

DAMM :!:

That was a close call. I decided to wait until tommorow to go to Wall-Mart so went to Stewerts instead to get milk, bread ,eggs and beer. It is about four blocks and half way back I was on the sidewalk and I saw something move in the street close to the snow bank. (bottom pic) pepe laphew. :lol: :lol:

He was about turn right to go down a driveway. I did an about face and did a wide path around to steer clear. If I did not see him I would have walked right into him and my day would definatlly be ruined. :lol:

There are a lot of them around here. I have to go to Wall-Mart soon anyway as I need a new pair of kicks. Please let me know about the batteries.

Attachments

• IMG_3327.JPG
    IMG_3327.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 2,393
  • IMG_3328.JPG
    IMG_3328.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 2,393
  • IMG_3329.JPG
    IMG_3329.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 2,393
  • peppee lapue.jpg
    peppee lapue.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 2,372
As the Hub Motor Turns and the Lipo Fire burns. Custom packs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZKS0AS6QQo

I will be building my first pack soon. It is what I have been wanting all along. No BMS or LVC. Just charge and balance like LiPo. Much simpler and can build many of them. I think I have 6S balance extensions I can use. :D

I saw a good deal about an hour ago on 18650 cells. They were generic and rated at 22000 mAh but should have bookmarked them. However now that I know I can build and balance charge 6S packs I will just order the solderless kit for now and wait for a super good deal on the 18650 cells.

https://vruzend.com/product-category/battery-kits/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-CGR18650CG-2250mAh-Lithium-Ion-Li-Ion-Rechargeable-Battery-Cells-Lot/321474887949?epid=6011375504&hash=item4ad965810d:m:mQqqzCvX507kkt2f3dNlSVA

OK. 12 cells are $40. That works for me. Panasonic is a name brand so the cells are most likley what they say they are. I will need $80 to build two 6S packs. The great thing about that solderless kit is I can take it apart and switch the batteries around if I need to. Each balance wire will balance two cells in parallel so it won't be difficult to pair up the cells that are closest in voltage. basically I should not have a problem with this. It looks like easy street. :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoQ4GidQP-k

Please post when you can. Thanks.

LC out.

You can buy them cheaper per battery at the site for the holders.
The cells cost more but are larger mah and are better cells except the QB, which are ?

Dan

OK. I am looking.

My main issue is I will need 24 cells for two decent 6S packs and I am working with limited funds as usual and the solderless kit is $27.

The batteries I really want are sold out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-HEADWAY-38120-HP-3-2V-8AH-LIFEPO4-LITHIUM-BATTERIES-25C-200A-12V-SUPER-CELLS/173071152948?hash=item284bd83734:g:J44AAOSwUYNaS8aC&rmvSB=true

12 of those fully charged would be about 44V and do the trick for less than $100. I was hoping for larger higher capacity cells than 18650 or 26650 therefore I would not need to parallel them up. 6 of those will balance charge with my charger as I saw a 3.2 or 3.3 volt function on the Skycharger and the 400 watt Mega charger you sent probably has the same feature to charge 3.2 or 3.3 volt batteries.

https://vruzend.com/product/set-of-two-2-qb-2600-mah-18650-battery-cells/

That is the cheapest they have and is $72 for 24 cells but not sure if I will get raped with shipping or not. Then I still need to add $27 for the solderless kit and that exceeds what I have to spend. I am on a $80 budget for a 44 / 48V Pack right now.

I am not sure I want to order the solderless kit if I can solder 6 large capacity cells togeather times 2 for 12S. It is what I am struggling with right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LG-LGDBHG2-18650-Rechargeable-Battery-High-Drain-Flat-Top-3000mAh-2-10Pcs/162948383453?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49917%26meid%3Dbd8b6327f97e45948db6c296421bb436%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D183052507106%26itm%3D162948383453&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

This is the best deal I see on e bay right now. They are LG which are one of the top brands. However I will only get one 6S pack for less than $50. I will need two in series for 12S.

I have been on youtube looking at capacity tests for the generic no name brands. I know if they rate their cells above 34000 mAh or 3.4 Ah that it is garbage and less than 1 Ah.

I have spent almost the entire day looking. It looks like I either buy junk cells or just wait. Thanks.

OK. I got a text. I think I might be able to sell one of my bike frames on the back porch for $30. If so then I can get 24 of those LG cells and might have enough $$$ hopefully. Thanks.

3/19/18

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Samsung-18650-Lithium-25R-2500mAh-25A-Li-ion-Battery-Vape-Batteries-US/263417304586?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49917%26meid%3Da34ab230dfa542298a0717e57528e729%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D273087376957%26itm%3D263417304586&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrszFX6W_IA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBWPbh_Ay0

I was hoping I could use pennies for battery connectors but the bottom of the AA battery melted to the penny. :lol:

I figured I would try to solder a wire to the positive terminal for practice. It took quite awhile to get a good connection.

I managed to solder two positive terminals to a wire, The soldering iron is a cheapo < $10 iron. The cheap 60W iron I got off of ebay the tip fell off so I threw it out and bought this one.

I will need much more practice on cheap cells before attempting to solder an 18650 or 26650 cell. I definatlly do not want to damage a good battery like I just did to the bottom of that AA battery. :lol:

It would probably be in my best interest to order the solderless kit before getting any cells. I am thinking about how I will wire the balance connecters. Also I could probably use some connecters. I am thinking if they are at least 2.5 or 3 Ah cells three packs in parallel will make either 7.5 Ah or 9 Ah.

It would be possible to solder three small connecters to bullets to hook to controller and a couple of connecters so I can charge with both the Skycharger and Megacharger since I am not parallel charging but balance charging each 6S pack. That is also why 2.5 Ah cells is the absolute minimum capacity I am looking for as I will be charging 6 packs to get 12S at 7.5 to 9 Ah. Also that is a total of 54 cells.

Also if I get a box of 60 cells I could build 13S packs for better performance. I would then get 10 to 12 Ah. I would be running 52 cells. four rows of 13 for a single 13S pack. four rows of 13 in parallel series instead of three rows of six in series with three rows of six for 12S - 7.5 or 9 Ah. 36 cells total.

For charging I could parallel charge 48 cells at once but then would need a different charger for the other 4 cells. It would still probably be a good idea to charge each 6S pack seperate at least once every three or four charges just to keep each cell better balanced. I see why they make a 13S BMS. I guess they make 13S chargers also but probably very expensive. Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-6S-15A-24V-PCB-BMS-Protection-Board-Module-Cell-Battery-Lithium-Li-ion-18650/322845500708?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49917%26meid%3D6ecf6ea4155f4710999a6aa7dd9c25ff%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D263384810784%26itm%3D322845500708&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

OK.

Walking to the beer store I thought of a better way to charge. I will need a few of these. Eight total unless they make a 6S BMS which can balance 24 cells. Then I would only need two. Eight is ridecelous. Four would work also. Each Balance charging 12 cells. I really see no sense in parallel balancing two or three cells togeather. It kind of defeats the purpose.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LiPo-Charge-Adapter-Board-XT60-2-6S-Charger-Balance-Parallel-Connect-Plate-RC189/142687676322?epid=13016020857&hash=item2138d927a2:g:tesAAOSwAGhagPjk

The problem with balance charging is to many plugs to plug in and unplug. I guess eight BMS is the way to go. What sucks though is not being able to run 13S. I don't see how it could possibly be done without a 13S BMS and 13S charger both of which would be expensive.

LC out.

5:38 AM.

drinking of course. :lol:

Am looking over the post and 13S is impossible but 18S is possible. Probably not practical for a 36 or even 48V brushed motor. However the 48V 1,800W brushless motor. :twisted:

I need to build three 18 cell - 6S packs. 7.5 to 9 Ah depending on the cells I get. I will need a minimum of 54 cells. A lot of 60 is what I need. I might have to go with 26650 cells. 3.5 times 18 equel 63V. I used 3.5V for voltage under heavy load. The 26650 cells are usually 3.3V discharged and 3.7V fully charged so I will use 3.5 to take SAG into consideration.

Either way three packs need building and then an the 48V brushless motor must be built. I think it would easier though to go with a voltage booster like wturber has and work with 12S as it is easier to build and charge than 13S and easier to find a controller. Either 52 or 54V is target voltage for 40 mph with the 1,800W 48V brushless motor.

He has not posted latley. Mabye he is making cowboy movies. He looks like a famous actor from Hollywood. I just cant place the name though. :lol: He seems like a good dude. I wish he would post and let me know the link for the voltage booster.

Attachments

• IMG_3334.JPG
    IMG_3334.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 2,276
  • IMG_3335.JPG
    IMG_3335.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 2,276
  • IMG_3339.JPG
    IMG_3339.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 2,272
  • IMG_3340.JPG
    IMG_3340.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 2,272
  • 6S pack.png
    6S pack.png
    145.8 KB · Views: 2,270
  • run and charge.png
    run and charge.png
    402.7 KB · Views: 2,260
  • IMG_3341.JPG
    IMG_3341.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 2,254
  • IMG_3342.JPG
    IMG_3342.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 2,254
As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. I guess I will order the kit.

I wish I had money for the kit and batteries or wish I could just solder something togeather and skip the kit but can't find any more batteries to practice on.

Also the kit won't work without BMS unless I solder balance wires to the packs. I think is what I will do. I will need to wait until next month then. I can't afford to build huge packs like in the diagrams above. I am limited in funds.

four six cell 6S packs will need to work.

8Ah @ 36V is what I am currently running. 8 * 36V = 288 watt hours.

5Ah @ 48V is 5 * 48 = 240 watt hours.

6Ah @ 48V is 6 * 48 = 288 watt hours.

This is why I am NOT interested in 18650 cells < 2.5 Ah and would rather deal with 3 Ah cells. Thanks and please post when you can. I have researched 18650 cells for over a week now. I do not believe they sell a kit for 26650 cells like the one for the 18650 cells but there should be 26650 cells out there.

Higher capacity 26650 cells would be lower voltage in 6S packs but if 5 Ah per cell 12 cells would be 10Ah and definatlly worth the 3 or 4 volts I would lose as long as the LVC does not happen with the 48V controllers. Thanks and please post on this when you can.

LC out.

Attachments

• new packs.png
    new packs.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 2,229
Your packs hit LVC under heavy throttle due to small size!

Your 8Ah 40V might well sag to LVC 30V (10V = 25%) at 40A drain (5C).
16Ah might only sag to 35V (2.5C).
Worse, 12s @ ~48V will sag to LVC 41V (7V = 15%) much easier!!!

Your 8Ah 40V might well sag to LVC 30V (10V = 25%) at 40A drain (5C).
16Ah might only sag to 35V (2.5C).
Worse, 12s @ ~48V will sag to LVC 41V (7V = 15%) much easier!!!

163856081.jpg

DAMM.

I was at Wall-Mart in the sporting goods to ask the clerk if he knew where the Westinghouse 18650 cells were. I figured they were used for lanterns or large flashlights. The guy ahead of me was buying rifle shells and had sweat pants on and when he pulled his wallet out of his pocket at least four 10 dollar bills hit the floor. They could have been 20s , 50s or hundreds. My eyesight is terrible.They looked brand new from the bank. :p There was nobody else that saw it. I got a $430 power bill due and had no bussiness buying or ordering anything. :roll:

The devil was tempting me to walk away for a minute and check out some merchendise on a display until the guy left but the angel won the battle and I said "hey buddy , you droped some money. The store clerk took me to the solar lighting department after checking with electronics. The cells were rated at 2,000 mAh and four in a pack for $14:99. Basically $50 for a 2 Ah 48V pack.

After some debate I decided against it and ordered the kit. I was tempted to make a 4 Ah - 6S pack and if the batteries were cheaper I may have attempted to solder them togeather. I still someday will solder a pack but from old laptop cells just like DA does. However for now am going to wait until next month and get a large box of new cells. I am looking at 60 cells.

My plan is for 13S packs. However with a BMS I believe that to be impossible. 22.2V in series with 22.2V in series with 3.7V = disaster.

Therefore I thought about a simple way to do 13S using my 400 watt megacharger and a dual cell parallel 3.7V charger. here is my final wiring diagram. I will need to order a parallel board when I order the box of cells. However I am still only looking at 5 or 6Ah -13S. There will be sag. Watt hours will be 3.7V * 13 = 48.1 * 5 = 240.5 Watt hour or 48.1 * 6 = 288.6 watt hour.

Perhaphs 3 rows of 13 cells would be a better choice for less sag. I believe that a parallel board can balance charge up to six - 6S packs at once. I guess a 13S BMS would be much easier but would still not balance as well as the parallel board as 14 wires would be balancing 39 cells so three cells would be balanced in parallel.

The drawback is unpluging 8 power wires to the controller , then the 4 wires that put the packs in series for 12S then pluging 16 wires and balance connectors to the parallel board then the four cells to a second parallel charger. That is ridecelous for a 56 cell 13S pack.

My big question is do they make a 13S BMS with 40 wires so each in·di·vid·u·al cell gets balanced instead of three cells in parallel. 56 cells would be better for 10 or 12 AH as one row of 13 cells is either 2.5 or 3 Ah so four rows would be a lot less sag. Please let me know.

I have 12 days before ordering cells and am limited to 18650 cells now unless they have a kit for 26650 cells but I already ordered the 18650 kit and there seem to be more choices for 18650 cells. I am looking for the 3 Ah per cell but if I can get a better deal with 2.5 Ah cells I have to go with them I guess. Also I am not charging any more SLAs and will NOT be ordering more LiPo so if I go with the 13S BMS I might as well sell or give away both my 6S LiPo chargers as they will be useless to me. I will need a good 13S charger.

I really don't know what to do. Mabye I should forget about 13S and just go with two large 6S packs each with 24 to 30 cells. five rows of six cells would be 12.5 Ah with 2.5 Ah cells and 15 Ah with 3 Ah cells which would be ideal but not if the BMS only has wires for 6 cells and would be balancing charging five cells in parallel. That just makes no sense. I have been looking for 30 cell 6S - 50 amp BMS. I do not see anything even close.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCB-BMS-15A-6S-24V-Protection-Board-For-18650-Li-ion-Lithium-Battery-Cell-6-Pack/142654475225?hash=item2136de8bd9:g:YTkAAOSwn9VaWakp

eight of those for less than $20. What do you guys think. A 12.5 to 15 Ah 12S pack would be better than a 5 or 6 Ah 13S pack right ?

Please help me out here. Thanks.

LC out.

Attachments

• order.png
    order.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 2,212
  • 13Srunandcharge.png
    13Srunandcharge.png
    230.8 KB · Views: 2,190
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back