portable air compressors for tires

There's a video around of someone who used a stripped down compressor by pressing the gear wheel against his tire. Those compressors get hot though, so you'd want to keep enough of the enclosure to insulate the hot bits.

When I rode Vespa GTS250 scooters I carried a "CyclePump" and incredible little compressor, but limited to 12V and quite expensive.
The aluminum case is less than 2″ high x 4″ wide x 6″ long
I sold it with my scooter and scooter tools. So far I've avoided a DCDC device, even though I have one. I prefer riding with one less device to manage. That said if anyone wants one of the best 12V compressors and is willing to spend $110 for it's very compact size...this is the one!

July 18 2017: Motorcycle Consumer News awarded the CyclePump their “Top Choice Award” in a shoot-out with 6 other tire inflators. https://bestrestproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/MCNEWS-August-2017-Mini-Compressor-JCW-1.pdf

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 12.30.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 12.30.03 PM.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 2,125
OK, just been offered a refund from banggood, I guess it's an admittance that it's a 12V item. I think it will go to my brother as an emergency option for his car (but I AM tempted to put 48V through it ....)
So back to the original hunt for a cheap emergency compressor...

I have to say that I'm reasonably happy with Bangggood but a little disappointed/annoyed too. When I originally contacted them about the problem I included pictures clearly showing the problems yet they mustn't read the initial messages because they asked for a video of the problem. All I did in response was ask what a video would show that they didn't already have, added a couple of extra bits of mildly sarcastic captions, and say if they really did want the video what was the extra things that they wanted me to show that the pictures didn't have.

alsmith said:
OK, just been offered a refund from banggood, I guess it's an admittance that it's a 12V item. I think it will go to my brother as an emergency option for his car (but I AM tempted to put 48V through it ....)

I have to say that I'm reasonably happy with Bangggood but a little disappointed/annoyed too. When I originally contacted them about the problem I included pictures clearly showing the problems yet they mustn't read the initial messages because they asked for a video of the problem. All I did in response was ask what a video would show that they didn't already have, added a couple of extra bits of mildly sarcastic captions, and say if they really did want the video what was the extra things that they wanted me to show that the pictures didn't have.
Thanks for the update. I had ordered one as well, but have not received it yet. I assume it will be the same issue so I will also go for a refund or replacement.

If you do get "brave" and put 48V through the unit, I'd be interested in what happens!

Here's one, also from Banggood that is not quite as inexpensive, but definitely works at 48V -- a friend of mine bought one.
https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-...=105229698&sc_uid=m8O34jI3Rm&cur_warehouse=CN

Came today $14, $10 less than USA source with no better warranty. Box had slections for 12, 24, 48, and 60v versions. Mine was checked off as 48v. I’ll add add a xt60, xt90, and Anderson adapter (diy 3 way) to cover all batteries i own.

Attachments

• C78FF67A-2ABC-4E4A-87E1-EFAC6FD2FD91.jpeg
    C78FF67A-2ABC-4E4A-87E1-EFAC6FD2FD91.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 2,069
alsmith said:

Based on unit I recieved they messed up the choice in their shipping department. Mine is clearly marked 48v.

I'd be interested to know about the motor inside the unit- if it is marked as 12V or 48V? Mine has no additional circuitry inside- the 12V cigarette lighter is connected directly to the motor.

In fechter's photo on page 1 the wires appear to come straight out of the motor, so it would appear to be a higher voltage winding rather than electronics. Perhaps fechter will confirm this, as the complete wire path is not clear, but if there were some electronics the wire routing would likely have been different.

I’ll open mine tonight and post pictures.

Why does the Bangood unit have red on the gauge from 30 to 45 psi or so??

The small Ryobi was only $19.95 at Home Depot, and is very ergonomic, shaped like a drill. They have a larger one as well, too large. But it requires their 18V lithium tool battery. It is much smaller than many others, though it is not as small as it could be, internally they are all pretty much a motor, some gears and a piston with a couple of one-way valves. The Ryobi has a much better than average gauge. It is really excellent around the house and vehicle. It is a bit larger than I'd like to carry on the bike, but it is within the range that it could be.

The imported unit that Lunacycle and Bangood carry is smaller if it is cut down as fechter and others have done. If I had one I'd design a 3D printed case for it instead of hacking on the plastic, but whatever works. Apparently the motor is wound for 48V instead of 12V, and Lunacycle indicates 72V max. I wonder how it operates on a fully charged 72V battery up around 80V? Might be really fast. :)

Attachments

• RyobiPump.PNG
    RyobiPump.PNG
    248.2 KB · Views: 2,010
Alan B said:
Apparently the motor is wound for 48V instead of 12V, and Lunacycle indicates 72V max. I wonder how it operates on a fully charged 72V battery up around 80V? Might be really fast. :)

Maybe the high end of the range is for the big staypuft marshmallow man? ;)

Closeups of 48V

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 4.15.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 4.15.11 PM.png
    132 KB · Views: 1,979
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 4.14.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 4.14.42 PM.png
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,979
Alan B said:
Why does the Bangood unit have red on the gauge from 30 to 45 psi or so??
I looked back and saw none with red for 30-45?
Mine, and Fechter's has a red scale for BAR.

Alan B said:

The small Ryobi was only $19.95 at Home Depot, and is very ergonomic, shaped like a drill. They have a larger one as well, too large. But it requires their 18V lithium tool battery. It is much smaller than many others, though it is not as small as it could be, internally they are all pretty much a motor, some gears and a piston with a couple of one-way valves. The Ryobi has a much better than average gauge. It is really excellent around the house and vehicle. It is a bit larger than I'd like to carry on the bike, but it is within the range that it could be.

That's what I wanted but not at the cost over here- even imports end up around four times as much, and then if it's spotted by customs it would be duty, then our vat at 19% on top of it.

Local taxes and protectionism are a different problem. We should probably avoid that discussion.

I saw the red gauge on the Bangood 48V unit, probably just a different version of the colored scale on the other units. Not sure what it is for but probably just a typical pressure range for vehicle tires.

While reviewing the thread just now I see that fechter posted more photos of his unit on page 1 that clearly show the full contents and no electronics were evident. The new partial photo showed a diode only.

It is much cheaper to wind the motor for 48V than to make electronics that can handle the motor's surge currents.

Attachments

• 48VcompressorGauge.PNG
    48VcompressorGauge.PNG
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,934
Alan B said:
While reviewing the thread just now I see that fechter posted more photos of his unit on page 1 that clearly show the full contents and no electronics were evident. The new partial photo showed a diode only.

Mine had a diode also. It would prevent it from running if you reversed the polarity, though with a brushed motor it could still run if reversed but maybe the brush timing favors one direction.

Alan B said:
The new partial photo showed a diode only.
Alan,

Oops, I guess I missed the blue picture. But wouldn't that be the normal, or common vehicle tire range?

FWIW No other electronics were evident. Why (I'm an electronics dullard) does the motor need a diode to limit flow in one direction?

Now that I see the space available I'm wondering how long 12V in 18650 batteries will fit in the 12V version and how long they would last? Any guesses 3p3s might fit.

Thanks for the comments!

T

Back