portable air compressors for tires

alsmith said:
OK, just been offered a refund from banggood, I guess it's an admittance that it's a 12V item. I think it will go to my brother as an emergency option for his car (but I AM tempted to put 48V through it ....)
So back to the original hunt for a cheap emergency compressor...

I have to say that I'm reasonably happy with Bangggood but a little disappointed/annoyed too. When I originally contacted them about the problem I included pictures clearly showing the problems yet they mustn't read the initial messages because they asked for a video of the problem. All I did in response was ask what a video would show that they didn't already have, added a couple of extra bits of mildly sarcastic captions, and say if they really did want the video what was the extra things that they wanted me to show that the pictures didn't have.
I just received my unit from Banggood. It's the blue colored (less expensive) one. It clearly says 12V on the front of the box and on one of the Chinese language pieces of paper inside...although on the side of the box it says 48-60V and there is a sticker on top of the box with the SKU that also says 48-60V. Inside the power connector is the 12V car cigarette lighter type.

So..although nio 100% sure, I believe this is a 12V unit.
Questions:
1. Did anyone try it at 48V? What happened?
2. What doc'n did you need to supply to get a refund from Banggood?

alsmith said:
I have to say that I'm reasonably happy with Bangggood but a little disappointed/annoyed too. When I originally contacted them about the problem I included pictures clearly showing the problems yet they mustn't read the initial messages because they asked for a video of the problem. All I did in response was ask what a video would show that they didn't already have, added a couple of extra bits of mildly sarcastic captions, and say if they really did want the video what was the extra things that they wanted me to show that the pictures didn't have.

I''m a level 4 VIP on $5-$10 orders. That's a lot of orders in a year. I always expect a refund to take a few emails, photos, and videos.
I imagine there are plenty of scammers and to be fair there are failed goods delivered occasionally. Under $5 is pretty easy, over $10 I expect to provide the full gamut. After all they will write off the $14 (their cost and shipping). Since sending back is impractical. The joys of Banggood and Aliexpress. However the infrequent problem still keeps me far ahead in savings with the often crazy low prices.

Alan B said:
I would test it at 12V, that should be safe. I would expect a 48V unit to severely underperform at 12V.
Running a 12v motor on 48v will fry the motor as would running a 36v motor on 4 times the voltage / 144v = fry

Is the motor marked in the blue case like the black case?

eCue said:
Running a 12v motor on 48v will fry the motor as would running a 36v motor on 4 times the voltage / 144v = fry
There's no guarantee of that, even with a brushed motor (like these)--it depends on the load and the gearing. If you were to change the gearing of these units so the "12v" version running at 48v drove the pump at the same speed (hence the same load to the motor), it'd probably still work, other than the extra brush wear from the higher voltage, and one other thing for brushed motors:

There is a chance of grenading the commutator in a brushed motor at a higher speed, increasing the higher the speed is, and the cheaper the motor the lower that limit would be.

(if it was a brushless motor, then you wouldn't even have to worry about the last two bitw, and the only thing preventing using just any arbitrarily high voltage on the motor is the insulation capability of the windings themselves. With any outrunner it's not likely to have much of an RPM limit, though an inrunner would depend on the glue or retention mechanism of the magnets to prevent a similar issue to commutator grenading),

Sounds like someone is hopeful , if you feel the need to test do video tape it for us Might be the Fastest mini pump ever or a smoking pump. Yet to be determined :D

alsmith said:
dilkes said:
tomjasz said:
No..no markings on the blue case

You'll need to open the case to see if a voltage is printed on the motor, or if that diode mentioned earlier is present.
Well..I plugged it into my 12V car cigarette lighter and it seemed to run fine at 12V. I am guessing it would fry at 48V. In any case, I am going thru the process with Banggood (photos, etc.) to see about a refund or replacement. If I have to I will disassemble and see about any clues inside.

dilkes said:
alsmith said:
dilkes said:
tomjasz said:

You'll need to open the case to see if a voltage is printed on the motor, or if that diode mentioned earlier is present.
Well..I plugged it into my 12V car cigarette lighter and it seemed to run fine at 12V. I am guessing it would fry at 48V. In any case, I am going thru the process with Banggood (photos, etc.) to see about a refund or replacement. If I have to I will disassemble and see about any clues inside.

No big deal to open up and look, it may be marked and save you time!

P1220810.JPG
tomjasz said:
dilkes said:
alsmith said:
dilkes said:

No big deal to open up and look, it may be marked and save you time!
So I did open the case and there is no diode and the motor is clearly marked 12V (picture attached). I don't particularly want to send this picture to Banggood as I suppose they might claim that opening it voids the warranty. However I will keep after them for replacement or refund.

I wouldn't worry about that. I don't find them to be that mercenary especially with a device like a simple pump. I always use PayPal and that is another route, my credit crd would cover this too. The picture is perfect proof. IME

Addy said:
48V air compressor.jpg

I ordered and received the 48V version of this pump. The box was marked 48V and the motor is also marked 48V internally. This unit has the diode. I tested it on my bike's 48V battery and it works well.
Is that a picture of one in the blue case? or the black case?

Just to close the loop, Banggood are refunding my purchase for what was clearly a 12V unit. Now I'll try to find a home for it.

Also interesting is that if you look at the few pictures posted in this thread that show the gearing, the 12v unit (just one that I can see) uses the largest gear on the motor, and the smallest on the pump, while the 48v units do the opposite.

So the motors may all be the same, and just the gearing is different.

If everyone with an openable case would post a pic of their gearing, and post the voltage it runs on, it would be interesting to see how many this is the case with.

amberwolf said:
Also interesting is that if you look at the few pictures posted in this thread that show the gearing, the 12v unit (just one that I can see) uses the largest gear on the motor, and the smallest on the pump, while the 48v units do the opposite.

So the motors may all be the same, and just the gearing is different.

If everyone with an openable case would post a pic of their gearing, and post the voltage it runs on, it would be interesting to see how many this is the case with.
Here's mine again and it runs at 12V. I am reluctant to try it at 48V as the motor is stamped 12V.

Attachments

• P1220810.JPG
    P1220810.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 1,579
Then in your case it's the motor wound for 12v, cuz it has the small gear on the motor, so it couldn't just get geared down for 48v.

amberwolf said:
Then in your case it's the motor wound for 12v, cuz it has the small gear on the motor, so it couldn't just get geared down for 48v.

I know you know this as I can tell you know more about electronics then me but..
a 48v motor on 12v would not perform as rpm is voltage related and a 12v motor would over spin. Not sure why the 48v has a diode inline ?

I don't know why the diode is there either. I've never seen one on another compressor before. The diode will prevent the motor from running backward, but the pump would work with the motor running either way. The motor may have a timing advance that favors one direction.

Back