My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

nataS@phnet.fi said:
Ambient2010 said:
Is not the G510 released by Bafang even up to 60 volts?

Full charged 52v battery is around 58,8 volts.

I know that.
and a 48 volt battery has which charge relaxation? Then a 48 volt Ebike with 48 volt battery of your statement would be already overloaded.
I think that the Bafang G510 engine can also handle a 60 volt battery

The AM1000 looks really cool !

Does someone know if we can get only the bare frame or frame + motor/battery from Frey ?

I'd like to use fox fork / shock & wheels I already have with it !

Jebu said:
Is possible to add a button to change the motor modes on the flight?
what about with waterproof?
Is possible to change the chainring or install a chaintset with a front derailleur?

@FREYebikes can you resolve my questions?

G'day,
As I'm still very interested in this bike, but want it with an IGH I have a question to you guys who follow this thread here.
- Is it only me who would pay the extra $ for a Rohlof IGH?
- Are there possibly any other options of IGHs for this bike?

I ask this to get an indication if it would make sense for Frey to buy a handful of above IGHs for customers like me who don't want a derailleur. If enough people would be interested, Ivy would surely make it possible!

As we have seen on this thread before Frey is very interested what we - the customer - want. And I really want this bike with an IGH! Even if it's heavier, it is much more durable than any derailleur! That only can be good!

Furthermore I am interested to see if there are other people in Aotearoa interested in this bike as we might be able to ship them together and save a lot of money in shipping costs. Ivy indicated that sea shipping only makes sense for 3+ bikes as shipping would be charged by m3.

And my last question is, are the Wattwheel bikes produced by Frey. Have seen one today and bike looks very similar to Frey AM1000, just with inferior parts. But will give them a call in the next couple of weeks to see what is what...

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Uli

Frey%20Image_zps44s7o5zy.jpg

:D :lol:
Actually, joking aside I felt like I was brave to take the road less travelled, bypass the middle men and plunge into the unknown (for me).
A few weeks in and a couple hundred km's and I have no regrets, I'm very happy with the performance of my bike.
In hindsight the only thing I would do differently is order the bike with no stickers. They are cheap and after I washed the bike for the 1st time yesterday, using warm water, a soft brush, a hose pipe to rinse and a lot of care, one of the stickers has partially peeled off and now looks a mess. Hardly a deal breaker, but as the rest of the bike seems good quality it's a shame that they chose cheap stickers.

3gfrey said:
I ordered a 3rd gen Frey a few months ago. I have about 240 miles on the bike and almost a couple of weeks ago, the motor stopped working. I made a video of this and contacted Frey.

Ivy mentioned that she reached out to bafang rep and he is unreachable for the next two weeks due to Chinese new year.
Will keep you guys updated on how this gets resolved.

Any update on the dead Motor? I am just curious to know as it might be the 1st case out there on Ultra...

Hey all - and thanks for the detailed info on your experiences with Frey here!

Just pulled the trigger on an AM1000 with the lower end component configuration (e.g. Alibabba shows range from $2000 - ~$3000 for the AM1000). I am a novice biker, a bit older, and really just wanted the 1000w motor in a full suspension bike that would not break the bank. I think this will fit the bill.

I am a software engineer and plan on trying to see if I can port the software over to Android so that it could be modified on the road. Just need to make some sort of Bluetooth adapter for the cable.

I'll try to update as I go along...

luna5k said:
Would it be possible to have a list of specifications for the $2000 level bike?

Sure - I don't think they would mind as this is the same configuration I think anyone would get at this price point (at least at the time of my order):

Bafang Ultra 48V 750-1000W mid drive system with throttle;
48V /17.4AH battery;
ROCKSHOX RECON 150mm air suspension fork;
ROCKSHOX MONARCH rear suspension;
TEKTRO HD E725 4-piston hydraulic brake with power cut function for ebike use;
SHIMANO ACERA 8 speed group set;
CST 27.5*3.0" mountain tire, MAXXIS 27.5*2.4” available for option;

I added the lights and extra charger as well as the 21AH battery.

Adova said:
luna5k said:
Would it be possible to have a list of specifications for the $2000 level bike?

Sure - I don't think they would mind as this is the same configuration I think anyone would get at this price point (at least at the time of my order):

Bafang Ultra 48V 750-1000W mid drive system with throttle;
48V /17.4AH battery;
ROCKSHOX RECON 150mm air suspension fork;
ROCKSHOX MONARCH rear suspension;
TEKTRO HD E725 4-piston hydraulic brake with power cut function for ebike use;
SHIMANO ACERA 8 speed group set;
CST 27.5*3.0" mountain tire, MAXXIS 27.5*2.4” available for option;

I added the lights and extra charger as well as the 21AH battery.

That’s very helpful, thanks!

What do you mean by "modern geometry?" The head angle is already relatively slack at 66.5 degrees. It's even slacker than that of the Specialized Enduro 29. What do you mean by "more head angle?"

What do you mean by "kinked down?" Are you referring to an S-shaped downtube? If so, what are its advantages? It seems that a straight downtube is a more logical choice for the battery. Maybe you can show a picture of what you're referring to.

Z0RR0 said:
Since we're talking design and versions and whatnot, I would LOVE to see you guys (or anyone) come up with a more modern geometry, with more head angle, and the signature "kinked down tube that premium MTBs have.
Essentially look at what Haibike is doing in terms of designs, but not quite as high-end and with the Bafang Ultra instead of the less powerful europe-compliant motors.

If I hadn't bought it right as winter started, I'd have a lot more to say about it =) Think of it as slightly less powerful than a BBSHD, though my BBSHD runs at 52V, so I can't really make a direct comparison, and the Frey AM1000 has a 48V/21Ah battery (1 kWh), so you have a general idea of how far it can go based on others with similar capacities.

I've seen a GPS-verified test on the Luna Mighty Mini 6Ah 30Q pack on a folding bike, and it went 24.2 miles at ~15mph. Depending on speed and weight, you're going to have a huge range of numbers but whatever numbers you get, they'll probably be better than those of other bikes with smaller batteries.

18650 said:
Still silence about riding expierience (power, range)?

Hi, long time no see you here :)

robocam said:
What do you mean by "modern geometry?" The head angle is already relatively slack at 66.5 degrees. It's even slacker than that of the Specialized Enduro 29. What do you mean by "more head angle?"

What do you mean by "kinked down?" Are you referring to an S-shaped downtube? If so, what are its advantages? It seems that a straight downtube is a more logical choice for the battery. Maybe you can show a picture of what you're referring to.

Z0RR0 said:
Since we're talking design and versions and whatnot, I would LOVE to see you guys (or anyone) come up with a more modern geometry, with more head angle, and the signature "kinked down tube that premium MTBs have.
Essentially look at what Haibike is doing in terms of designs, but not quite as high-end and with the Bafang Ultra instead of the less powerful europe-compliant motors.

I know this guide, but karls setting wont fit a standart ultra and lets lots of questions open in setting parameters

Sduro Ultra said:
I know this guide, but karls setting wont fit a standart ultra and lets lots of questions open in setting parameters

Yes Karl setup is not suitable for our standard Ultra. I didn't reprogram mine since the current setup is still suitable for me. Did your motor came with steel drive or nylon? Bafang sent me the replacement steel drive plus a new set of the display.

hoojsn said:
Sduro Ultra said:

Yes Karl setup is not suitable for our standard Ultra. I didn't reprogram mine since the current setup is still suitable for me. Did your motor came with steel drive or nylon? Bafang sent me the replacement steel drive plus a new set of the display.

I did not open my motor yet, so i dont know. Should i open it? Is nylon bad? I got it from cnebikes.com

I lowered the shut off times and it worked well to get it more spontaniously. But i am not done with the programming

Sduro Ultra said:
hoojsn said:
Sduro Ultra said:

I did not open my motor yet, so i dont know. Should i open it? Is nylon bad? I got it from cnebikes.com

I lowered the shut off times and it worked well to get it more spontaniously. But i am not dosteelne with the programming

If you able to open, than take a peep inside, otherwise talk to supplier cnebikes. It will be good that they request the steel drive for you. Understand Luna, Frey and others bike maker come with steel. Steel will be more durable, as for my case I take it as spare in case the nylon kaput.

If you able to open, than take a peep inside, otherwise talk to supplier cnebikes. It will be good that they request the steel drive for you. Understand Luna, Frey and others bike maker come with steel.

Where did you get that information?
My Bafang Ultra Ludicrous from Luna has a nylon gear.
I asked them before ordering and they said their Ludi version has NO steel gear.
ultra.jpg

Daxxie said:
If you able to open, than take a peep inside, otherwise talk to supplier cnebikes. It will be good that they request the steel drive for you. Understand Luna, Frey and others bike maker come with steel.

Where did you get that information?
My Bafang Ultra Ludicrous from Luna has a nylon gear.
I asked them before ordering and they said their Ludi version has NO steel gear.
ultra.jpg

You had been cheated by Luna. Especially for "Ludicrous" it must come with Steel Drive because of Peak 2500 watts. I remember reading somewhere from Karl article. You can refer to Karl Article on Max Ultra. Without steel your Nylon will melt like butter. https://electricbike-blog.com/category/ultra-max/

Luna Ultra casing for Apex come with magnesium which was 2lbs lighter than standard. I am not sure whether your motor had this improvement too..

Gear destruction is pretty dependent on motor temperature. If the motor stays cool, the gear can handle a lot of power without turning to peanut butter. The BBS02 over driven had a real tendency to do this.

We'll have to just see how the nylon gears hold up. If they start failing, I'm sure somebody will make a steel version.

fechter said:
Gear destruction is pretty dependent on motor temperature. If the motor stays cool, the gear can handle a lot of power without turning to peanut butter. The BBS02 over driven had a real tendency to do this.

We'll have to just see how the nylon gears hold up. If they start failing, I'm sure somebody will make a steel version.

Why wait, when the steel gear upgrade were already available for free?

hoojsn said:
Why wait, when the steel gear upgrade were already available for free?

I guess I missed that. Who has the steel gears? For sure the steel gear is going to be more durable.

Back