new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

hello

some one have any problem with the freewheel of the motor?
because it are my second freewheel(13T),the first(stock 14t),all after non more 4 month it broke.

ltu said:
some one have any problem with the freewheel of the motor?
because it are my second freewheel(13T),the first(stock 14t),all after non more 4 month it broke.

The 14t stock freewheel is not durable. Where I work, we substitute the 13t heavy duty unit.

Note that any one of these freewheels will fail quickly if there is tension on the chain when the motor isn't running.

Chalo,

the heavy duty version of the motor cog that Sickbike Parts sells is a 14T, not a 13T.

http://sickbikeparts.com/electric-motor-freewheel-heavy-duty-14t/

Do you have another supplier for a heavy duty 13T than Cyclone sourced?

When we aren't using the 13t heavy duty freewheel pre-mounted on a collar by Cyclone, we use 13t Odyssey freewheels.

the 13t Odyssey freewheels do you report if it stronger than pre-mounted and 13t selled from cyclone-tw?

ltu said:
the 13t Odyssey freewheels do you report if it stronger than pre-mounted and 13t selled from cyclone-tw?

They both seem OK and they both hold up well if the chain isn't overtightened, but the Odyssey seems stronger and better made.

We special order motor + controller sets from Cyclone and they furnish HD 13t freewheels for us on request.

So much fun! Did my first longer ride today.

25561746117_2d39c0d4eb_b.jpg

I have effectively clamped and bolted a 48T steel chainring between 2 34T Shimano chain rings and placed the big ring on the freehub. A 13T cog will almost fit tight in the 48T chainring center hole. I used 0.005" shimstock at the 13 contact points to accurately center the chainring with respect to the freehub.

IMG_6968.JPG

Projection Racing of UK sells a spider arm adapter that will do the same job easier. It is available in aluminum or Stainless steel, costs about $20 and ships for $14 via Royal Mail.

IMG_6971.JPG

To order see

http://www.projection-components.co.uk/4042t-104-bcd-chainring-to-shimanosram-freehub-adapter-aluminium-1112-p.asp

Contemplating joining the "Cyclone Asylum" (humor intended)...currently a two time member of the MAC club.
Three questions on buying a Cyclone kit from Luna:
A. What is the difference in the mounts listed below?
Standard Square Tapered BB - 83-110mm
Standard Square Tapered BB - 120mm
B. I have a Mongoose Hitch fat tire bike and the bottom bracket is 112mm…which mount should I order?
C. Does the plug on the Cyclone motor match the plug on the controller (4000W Sinewave ASI BAC) or will I be doing some soldering?
Thank You very much

Luna appears to be the best place to order the Cyclone kit....is there a better option, if yes why?
And again...Thank You

I believe you want the larger bottom bracket for your application, but that is a guess.
The kit is available from luna, as well as Sick Bike Parts, where I purchased it from.
The controller hooks directly to motor leads, both hall sensor and power lines. The kit is about 90% plug and play, only the battery leads need attention.

Welcome to the madness.

Guys what would you recommend when speaking of ease of installation, maintenance and durability - Cyclone 3000 or BBSHD?

LexHammer said:
Guys what would you recommend when speaking of ease of installation, maintenance and durability - Cyclone 3000 or BBSHD?

BBSHD on all counts. Cyclone for lower cost and higher power.

Chalo said:
LexHammer said:

BBSHD on all counts. Cyclone for lower cost and higher power.
I run both setups on dh bikes and agree with Chalo.
Cyclone is more fun tho. Have made chain guides for both setups to stop chain drop, but the terrain I ride is rough. The cyclone tends to wreck the drive train at twice the rate of the bbshd.

What about if i use it for comuting and slight off road (non paved roads)? I have the BBS02 and im happy with it, but Im tempted by the power of the Cyclone, but if i will have to do repairs often, its a big drawback for me.

LexHammer said:
What about if i use it for comuting and slight off road (non paved roads)? I have the BBS02 and im happy with it, but Im tempted by the power of the Cyclone, but if i will have to do repairs often, its a big drawback for me.

Even the BBSHD will increase wear and tear compared to BBS02. More power = more damage. Bicycle parts were only ever intended to take that much power in short bursts, with sustained power at much lower levels. The higher you go above one humanpower, the faster you'll wear things out or break them.

I mean repairs on the motor, not on the bicycle. I dont care about repair on bicycle, they are easy. Repairs on the motor are harder

Motors themselves are stone reliable unless you demand too much power from them, or operate them grossly outside their envelopes.

If you get them really hot, you can have problems with Hall sensors, gears, or even windings. But that's not a problem with the motor, rather the operator.

LexHammer said:
Im tempted by the power of the Cyclone

Are not we all tempted by more power :lol:
There is even the Cyclone 4000W which is just a different controller if I am not mistaken. Thats the one I bought. It can propel a 375lb man, from a stand still on a 10% hill for a bit of a distance. However riding pathways people hear me coming from a fair ways back, dogs get agitated by the sound of the gears. When I bought the Cyclone 4kw, I only rode it because I was too lazy to take it off. I tested it on hills for a few weeks, and rode it as a commuter for a few months. The other downside was that the mid drive setup sticks out to the casual viewer, so you get asked many times about "How fast can you go" "How far can you go" "How much does it cost"

The upside to it all is if you live in a hilly area, its perfect for you.

I have ridden a small 300-400W geared brushed motor that was noisy, similar to mid drive, but not as bad.

That is why I go with Direct Drive motors now.
I prefer stealth!
I prefer quietness!
I prefer less moving components to break!
I prefer simplicity!
That is Direct Drive

I have 4 more questions:
1. I use the PAS on BBS02 all the time and i want to have PAS on the Cylone 3000, but i read different opinions about it. Some say there is no PAS on Cyclone, others say there is. So is there a way to have PAS with at least 3 levels or not?
2. I read that there are different connectors on the Cycle Analyst v3. What kind ot connector i need for the Cyclone 3000 and is it plug and play?
3. Is there a way to program the CA v3 with different presets with different power levels for the Cyclone, like Eco (10 Amps), Normal(20 amps) and Sport(30 apms), Turbo(40 apms
4. If i use the Bluetooth controller with the phone app, do i need the Cycle Analyst?
Thank you!

I got fed up with motor chain tensioner, so I designed my own. With new motor mounts to install one.
CAD:
Cyclone assembly.JPG

Mounts designed around 150x10mm 6063 aluminum bar

As you can see from cad, left side mount cuts into motor shell.
Well, it's supposed to:
20180325_105737.jpg
Mounts completed, back side:
20180324_135754.jpg

Front: (could not resist adding some polish there)
20180324_135745.jpg

Mock-up install (ignore the screws used):
20180324_170825.jpg

Increased center distance from 145mm to 150mm. With current length, there is actually no need for tensioner. In matter of fact, should have made it 0,5mm less, as the chain tension tends to be bit too much for my taste.

So far the mounts have been rock solid. 8)

Attachments

• 20180324_135745.jpg
    20180324_135745.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 2,473
That’s great work minimum.

I had to look closely at the picture to see that you have cut a precise groove into the case of the cyclone. This eliminates the need to bend or offset the motor mount on that side, interesting. I see the mount on the crank side has some unused holes around the motor, fourth mounting bolt, any plans? If you used a new chain it might stretch and give you a perfect fit in time.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks.

At the front/lower corner is M10 hole for tensioner swingarm. CAD picture has swingarm covering that hole.
3x M6 holes for (future) chain guard.

At the bottom, 2x counterbored holes (for M8) on both sides for support block connecting both mounts together, reinforcing against lateral forces. That last bit now seems like overkill, I haven't even got around to machining it yet.
Support block.JPG

That's a nice mount Minimum. What I have always wondered about the Cyclone kit. If they just made a better mount, the kit would be super solid. There is too much messing with doing the nut mod. I'm no machinist and would rather be out for a ride. You could sell a ton of mounts if you didn't cut into the motor case. I still find the Cyclone to be the best value for a high powered bike. You can't beat it.

Although an obstacle to getting the cyclone to work. The mount is part of what makes the cyclone a diy challange. Just like the Lipo users like myself, not sparking up, shorting out or causing any fires you can have a great power source at a great price. This knowledge and experience is your edge. The mount is less daring than the Lipo example but this is still what separates the builders from the stuck with store bought ebike types. I purposely speak of the specifics of the cyclone in vague terms out in public. Feels like you only want to share so much one you build such a one of a kind ride. Is this wrong? I’d relay kick myself if I gave someone the recipe for the start of a business or anything. Inheritant technology. Is a term I toss around a lot. Can’t give it all away. If I got this far on ES they can too I feel. I’d like to see more riders but don’t want to feel the pressure to give away all of the secrets. A modified kit is one of the terms I use. I am helping out a friend with sharing the cyclone hook up but that was to have a riding buddy.

Back