Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

First post here. I have lurked for some years but I have neither time nor talent to DIY a bike. I have been in contact with Luna with the intent to buy a Sur-ron. I don't understand why but it seems to be difficult to get answers. I would love to do the deal, but I do not want to be stuck in pre-order limbo. Any advice? Anyone know when these bikes will actually ship? It seems like the right bike for me. Kind of an electric pit bike.

I pre-ordered in mid-Jan. They were initially intended to ship out mid-Feb, but delayed till mid-March (now). Last week Luna told me the bikes are in the Customs inspection phase and they except to receive them this or next week.

RemoteRoad said:
I pre-ordered in mid-Jan. They were initially intended to ship out mid-Feb, but delayed till mid-March (now). Last week Luna told me the bikes are in the Customs inspection phase and they except to receive them this or next week.

Same story I got. Should be soon.

where can i get a 58t? and what's different with the new models, controller upgrade? I've got a VEC300-72 new in the box and plenty of lipos to make another pack, but i'm liking my bike enough as is now that i havent even planned on doing anything yet... what's the overall opinion on this?

the best upgrade i did so far was to slap on a manitou dorado pro 27.5 fork with 24x3 duro on the front... as well as a new brake (also rear trials tire, some sherco bars and dh pedals).... the thing is super capable as is but some steeper/longer hills take me out.

In my country i have oset seller's, but none for the sun ron.
Can i do enduro with the oset putting a seat on it?
Thanks

I went ahead and ordered one. The only complaints I've run across are that front brakes might be a tad weak and rear sprocket could be bigger. Any comments on those issues? Also any parts compatibility?

Antenor said:
In my country i have oset seller's, but none for the sun ron.
Can i do enduro with the oset putting a seat on it?
Thanks

my set was a 20" that i modified into 24" before they came out with one. I haven't seen the 24 but i'm pretty sure the sur-ron is leaps and bounds ahead of it. nonetheless, you'd have fun on the oset24 for sure and it's easy to somehow bolt a seat on, I just used a $20 cr125 (or similar) seat from eBay.

artisanstone said:
I went ahead and ordered one. The only complaints I've run across are that front brakes might be a tad weak and rear sprocket could be bigger. Any comments on those issues? Also any parts compatibility?

Seems we have the option to gravitate towards both DH MTB parts and MX parts. Wide compatibility. Rider weight may be a deciding factor.

Same thoughts on the brakes. Hoping someone figures out regen braking for us.

RemoteRoad said:
artisanstone said:

Seems we have the option to gravitate towards both DH MTB parts and MX parts. Wide compatibility. Rider weight may be a deciding factor.

Same thoughts on the brakes. Hoping someone figures out regen braking for us.

That would be cool for efficiency, but Im more worried about performance. Coming from a full sized trials bike. Would like to lift the back wheel at the minimum.

Are the White Ghost and Light Bee using the same frame and drivetrain, as it appears?

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-news/the-white-ghost-is-the-new-benchmark-in-commuter-electric-motorcycle-ar180388.html

If so, this would confirm the motor can handle 10kw. Wonder if the Ghost is doing this with the same controller the Light Bee is using and if so, how this can be enabled on the Bee. (Luna speculates on their product page that 12kw may be possible.) As well, if the frame is identical it would seem Sur-Ron has a much larger battery pack available. The current top pack for the Light Bee is 2kW hours, right? The Ghost apparently has a 4.2 kW hour battery.

If they sell a US-street-legal dual sport version I'm in. I've had to back off plans to get a Light Bee because I've discovered that I no longer have any legal place to ride it near me.

LeftieBiker said:
If they sell a US-street-legal dual sport version I'm in. I've had to back off plans to get a Light Bee because I've discovered that I no longer have any legal place to ride it near me.

If you get the pedal kit, it negates the need. I know, its a band aid solution.

What's the latest with the 12kw options? I am wanting another one for my son, and I would like the new version.

dirkdiggler said:
What's the latest with the 12kw options? I am wanting another one for my son, and I would like the new version.

Don't think there are options currently. This is probably a known thing, but Luna does not seem real eager to communicate. I have gotten replies to every email for sure, but there's an undercurrent that they're doing me A Big Favor by replying, and not much info delivered.

When ever I have emailed Luna, I have gotten responses with a couple of business days. Agreed, not a lot of detail, but my questions have been answered. As far as a 12KW version goes, I don't think its an option, but only speculation that the current platform's running gear could handle bursts of 12KW. Am I misunderstanding this?

Luna has a support service where they will answer a posted question asked M - F from 9 AM - 6 PM (local time) within one-half hour. I've asked at least a half dozen questions within the last year and they haven't failed yet.

I bought my bike from Luna, had good communication will them. Just wish they wouldn't have posted this to tempt me.
This bike is easy to customize and upgrade, the performance upgrades are limitless from the battery to the controller. We think this motor can handle easily 12,000 watts with a FOV sine wave controller, and we will be soon be offering that as an upgrade kit.
Or this
Luna will also be announcing some exciting new upgrades which will only be available to people who buy their from us.
Oh well! Hopefully we'll get more hours soon. Spring is final here for me and really want another bike.

Back