German rider sets electric record

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
German rider sets electric record for most miles ridden in 24 hours
("700 miles in a day is bad enough on a petrol bike..."):
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle...ts-electric-record-most-miles-ridden-24-hours

Starts:
‘ELECTRIC motorcycles aren’t practical’, ‘the technology is years away’, ‘the charging infrastructure just isn’t there’.

A German motorcyclist has proven all the electric bike naysayers wrong in setting a new electric record for longest journey in 24 hours

Last week Remo Klawitter hopped on a Zero motorcycle and covered 691.8 miles (that’s the same as riding from London to John O’Groats) on a looped ride between Berlin and the Land Centre for Renewable Energies in Neustrelitz.

Klawitter began his mission at midday and rode in 93 miles stints at an average of between 55 and 60mph. After each stint he stopped and fully recharged the bike– a 2018 Zero DSR ZF14.4 with Zero’s optional Charge Tank (which increases charge speed by up to six times) – in just one hour at Level Two public charging points.

Following the record, the Berlin bicycle shop owner and e-bike enthusiast commented: “I have been thinking about a 24-hour ride since the middle of 2017.

In future ES Newz... Austrian Otto Dorfmeister eats a whole Zero motorcycle battery in ONE DAY!

It was 100 miles between Los Angeles (where I grew up) and San Diego (where I was stationed in the Navy). I did it many times on a motorcycle...roughly two hours each way (traffic is bad in SoCal).

Two hours straight is a long time between breaks on a motorcycle.

Maybe they didn't know Terry Hershner already did over 1,000miles in 24hrs on a 2012 Zero motorcycle half a decade ago.

spinningmagnets said:
It was 100 miles between Los Angeles (where I grew up) and San Diego (where I was stationed in the Navy). I did it many times on a motorcycle...roughly two hours each way (traffic is bad in SoCal).

Two hours straight is a long time between breaks on a motorcycle.

^^ Heat and vibrations from an engine? "High speeds" winds buffeting? Curious... :)

liveforphysics said:
Maybe they didn't know Terry Hershner already did over 1,000miles in 24hrs on a 2012 Zero motorcycle half a decade ago.

:mrgreen:

LockH said:
liveforphysics said:

:mrgreen:

Terry, Brandon, Anton, myself and others have perhaps matched or beaten his 'record' just through normal road trips on Zeros.

Not saying it's easy to do 700miles in 24hrs, but its in the ballpark for our normal long distance trips.

LockH said:
....^^ Heat and vibrations from an engine? "High speeds" winds buffeting? Curious... :)

One's hands wrists and arms get fatigued. Holding a throttle in one spot for long periods makes the hand and wrist tired. Holding your body weight by your arms makes them tired. If you have a real thumper or hardtail your internal organs can vibrate until you are sick. Those kind of bikes take some real getting used to. Sometimes the pain gets into you lower back and it is hard to walk for a while after a long ride.

When me and my buddys would ride up the coast from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara and back, my preference was always upright bikes with a throttle wrist rest. And of course rest stops.

:D

Hmmmm. Now I gotta figure in a bigger battery bay for the aerodynamically sleek comfy recumbent I've been planning to establish one yet to be set record on a single charge, so I can use the same 2 wheeler to ride for 24hrs with 2 or 3 charge stops. My biggest issue would be the roads for a 24hr marathon averaging well over 40mph including stops.

John in CR said:
Hmmmm. Now I gotta figure in a bigger battery bay for the aerodynamically sleek comfy recumbent I've been planning to establish one yet to be set record on a single charge, so I can use the same 2 wheeler to ride for 24hrs with 2 or 3 charge stops. My biggest issue would be the roads for a 24hr marathon averaging well over 40mph including stops.

I'm running 28kW of onboard chargers and maxing out 4 x J1772 stations or two Tesla destination AC chargers.

Terry is running over 30kW, Brandon is running 15kW+ charging.

At some point how fast you can charge vs Wh/mile.

^^ Hehe... MY record is about one minute... (By swapping packs.) :lol:

Hehe... News about Remos' run getting BIGGER...

carandbike_logo.svg

(They say:)
carandbike is one of India’s leading automotive portals adept at bringing credible news related to cars and bikes from across the globe. We strive to keep readers updated with the latest from the automotive industry through news, reviews, and videos. Our automotive experts endeavour to deliver accurate information to help users make an informed buying decision.

(URL still lumped as "auto"... :roll: )

New Record Set For Covering Most Distance On An Electric Motorcycle
("Berlin-based Remo Klawitter rode a Zero DSR 14.4 electric motorcycle and covered more than 1,134 kilometres in 24 hours."):
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/new-reco...st-distance-on-an-electric-motorcycle-1829223

liveforphysics said:
John in CR said:

I'm running 28kW of onboard chargers and maxing out 4 x J1772 stations or two Tesla destination AC chargers.

Terry is running over 30kW, Brandon is running 15kW+ charging.

At some point how fast you can charge vs Wh/mile.

At 3-4C charge rates things get a lot easier. I'd have to learn how to hack directly into power lines to get the kind of charge power you have. I do have a nice stash of A123 AMP20's, 10c charging in play (6min charge stops), but that would mean running at a track and 24 hours of the same thing would get awfully boring.

Hehe... 21st-century urban guy here, in a city still crossed all over by 600VDC streetcar cables. :mrgreen: Do-Doo- Dee-Dee... Hope they don't mind if wires from the trike hook up to their overheads ta feed my DC-DC transformer? [cough cough] :twisted:

Back