Electric Surf Board

yes they are all same ..
but you burned it, so maybe I should also go for the Lehner directly.

1000€ vs 180€ :roll:

yeah, but my prop is big, and aggressive pitch.

this guy has a torqstar 2 for sale still. he wanted 700 euro for it, https://endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=14877.

i decided to spend the extra $ on the torqstar 3.

i tried to rewind my chinese motor, but it kept grounding out the body after a minutes use. after 8 times i gave up. i think maybe the magnet wire i bought locally didnt like being wound so tightly on a compact motor, and probably my technique wasn't all that.

Yes I put for sale here :

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=92871

chris_kline said:
well looking at the alien power system 83100. that actually is the chinese motor i had.

Do you want to use same ESC for the Torqstar ?

yep.

according to the manufacturer, the esc is good for 300A cont, and 1000A burst. i kinda doubt its really gonna live up to that, but if it gets even halfway close to that it should be ok

the lehner motor is rated for like 200A cont

this time im gonna wire up a temp sensor to the stator/windings, and also an amp meter so i can monitor the thing, and not blow it up again

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/056-4-Digit-Digital-Car-Electronic-Watch-Time-Temperature-Sensor-Voltage-Met/192233299262?_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170912102017%26meid%3D2cb16472d10d4d23825f9d147b94b8fc%26pid%3D100706%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D192233299262&_trksid=p2045573.c100706.m4781

no, my battery pack is rated at 160A cont. but my old motor was drawing 160A peak when full throttle on the jetdrive.
i dont really expect that to change much, since im using the same size prop, and the motor will have the same number of windings

chris_kline said:
no, my battery pack is rated at 160A cont. but my old motor was drawing 160A peak when full throttle on the jetdrive.
i dont really expect that to change much, since im using the same size prop, and the motor will have the same number of windings

Hello Chris,
Any updates with the new Torqstar ? I am excited to read about your comparison to the chinese motor.

Best regards

the motor arrived, but my esc immediately burned out.

i did a lot of phoning electronics manufacturers, and probing them for qc details. seems to me most 300 a esc are actually only tested to 100a. same with the motors. maybe you can get like 1,1/2 seconds on a model boat at 300a, but thats it.

i ended up buying an mgm ecs. although, same thing with their 400a cont, 500a burst esc. it can actually only handle 250a for a minute or so. anyway it will be here in 3 weeks so ill let you know when it arrives.

lehner motor. looks nothing like it does in the photo. looks well engineered, its smaller than i expected, some real nice innovations in it. like each winding solders to a pcb instead of being wound to the next winding (ill take a photo so you understand what im trying to say). The thing i was suprised by though, is there was not as much copper as i expected on the windings, im kinda dubious its going to live up to expectations.

if it doesnt, i think im going to design my own motor

pics of the motor. sorry i didnt take the motor off the board, but its a pain to get your hands in there.

the second photo shows the innovative pcb board instead the copper between windings. i expect it cuts down on eddie currents, and makes a very neat job. very good idea from lehner!

Attachments

• IMG_0020s.jpg
    IMG_0020s.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 3,915
  • IMG_0021s.jpg
    IMG_0021s.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 3,915
Thanks you for this information.

MGM + Lehner would also be my first choice at the moment.

I am currently milling the drive unit foundation. Will post pictures in the next days.

srn said:
Thanks you for this information.

MGM + Lehner would also be my first choice at the moment.

I am currently milling the drive unit foundation. Will post pictures in the next days.

no probs, yeah post it up when done, would like to see it.

i also called scorpian motors, and they gave me an offer on this https://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalog/helicopter/motors_4/hk-70/HK_7050_340/ of with water cooling, at custom 250kv of 1100 USD shipped.

chris_kline said:
no probs, yeah post it up when done, would like to see it.

i also called scorpian motors, and they gave me an offer on this https://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalog/helicopter/motors_4/hk-70/HK_7050_340/ of with water cooling, at custom 250kv of 1100 USD shipped.

I think the Scorpion is a little bit too small.
Personally I would like a 90mm diameter Motor, but somehow there are only 80mm on the market.

Did someone try the MHZ Watercraft kit?

https://e-surfer.com/en/diy-electric-surfboard-kit-mhz-watercraft/

Seems to be an easy start?

Cheers
-B

Hello,

I created completely new jet. It will be availible soon for download, after I printed and testrun it. Here are some pictures. I improved bearings, added grease nipples, better waterflow..........

Attachments

• newjet3.jpg
    newjet3.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 3,757
  • newjet2.jpg
    newjet2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 3,757
  • newjet1.jpg
    newjet1.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 3,757
toto44 said:
Hello,

I created completely new jet. It will be availible soon for download, after I printed and testrun it. Here are some pictures. I improved bearings, added grease nipples, better waterflow..........

So beautiful! what the size of the impeller?

toto44 said:
Hello,

Hello Toto44,

Your design looks good,
I only wonder how you want to machine it ? 3D-Print ? Milling and welding ?
The design is really detailed and complicated. I think to buy a MHZ jet would be much cheaper than producing this one.
Also it looks like a rc-boat jet. Is your purpose to mount it into a surfboard ?

chris_kline said:
[..]
lehner motor. looks nothing like it does in the photo. looks well engineered, its smaller than i expected, some real nice innovations in it. like each winding solders to a pcb instead of being wound to the next winding (ill take a photo so you understand what im trying to say). The thing i was suprised by though, is there was not as much copper as i expected on the windings, im kinda dubious its going to live up to expectations.

Hello Chris,
how about your progress ? Is the Lehner running well with the MGM ?

srn said:
chris_kline said:
[..]

Hello Chris,
how about your progress ? Is the Lehner running well with the MGM ?

hello

i didnt recveive the esc yet. mgm said it would take 3 weeks to complete, but it then took nearly 2 weeks just to get an order confirmed from them, ultra slow response via email. its now been 5 weeks since i started the process

feeling a bit frustrated

chris_kline said:
hello

i didnt recveive the esc yet. mgm said it would take 3 weeks to complete, but it then took nearly 2 weeks just to get an order confirmed from them, ultra slow response via email. its now been 5 weeks since i started the process

feeling a bit frustrated

Hope that it will arrive soon.
Would like to hear your experience before I order same parts. :D

ill post some pics and let you know how it goes when it arrives.

ill be jetsurfing within 1 hour of receiving it :D

well the mgm esc arrived friday afternoon. looks like a monster, very well engineered. i ordered the industrial version. mgm said it would be better suited to my application. will take some pics tomorrow.

irritatingly after hours spent looking, i couldn't find a download link to the computer interface software to program/setup the esc. i found the software to the hobby version easily, but the industrial version is not easy to find, and looks like i need a password to access it.

anyway, the instructions say you can use it straight out of the box, although they recommend setting it up for optimum performance. so i plugged it in to my board, and had a go. seems to only operate on about 60 percent throttle before going into some protection mode and almost throwing me off the board.

heres a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg06omLCP3M

i hope to get the software sorted soon so i can go full throttle!

Back