Any sealed/waterproof scooter motors?

Pretty much none of the motors is *completely* sealed; unless the motor is filled with oil to keep water out then it's better to actually have holes for the water to drain out, and to coat the important stuff inside with water"proof" paints or sealants.

If you look thru http://ebike.ca's blog page, there is an article with a video about water ingress testing, and the problems involved in trying to seal one so perfectly that water cant get in and get trapped (which will then cause corrosion, especially if it's salty).

For controllers and stuff, there's some that are sealed/potted up to IP66 or IP67, like the Phaserunner and a number of big-name brands. You could probably pot a generic one to keep water out, though without waterproof connectors you're still going to have some water wicking up the wires.

There's no sealed handlebar controls, though, and it's hard to completely seal them up mostly due to wire wicking, so your best bet is to use a cable-operated motorcycle type grip trhottle, and use the cable to control a regular throttle sealed up in a box somewhere, or something custombuilt. There's a number of threads/posts about such cable-operated throttles you can find in a search of the forum (might even still be some for sale).

Quinc said:
looking to add some power to my beach cart but need electronics that are sealed/be ok if they get submerged in salt water.

Justin did some tests, he has a video, water can come in under the insulation and propogate up the conductor and into the motor. It was suprising how much. Its nothing to be concerned about, some people spray the inside of the motor with Insulating Varnish.

Since he's talking about saltwater, it *is* something to be concerned about.

As for the rest, I already posted about those things above.

They're also extremely low duty cycle motors meant to run only for a few seconds. Many of them (maybe most) don't even have bearings, but only bushings.

You might investigate if a submersible pump can be repurposed as a lower-voltage motor. I don't know if any are built for 12V/24V DC, but maybe worth a look.

A 3000-RPM motor that runs on 120V, might run at 1200-RPMs at 48V. Many "universal" motors run fine on either AC or DC...

If your needs are for a motor that will be immersed in liquid, heat would be MUCH less of an issue, so it should be fairly easy to fully pot an existing motor.

If yes, what is the ideal non-waterproof brushless motor for the job you need? Watts, volts, size, RPMs?

spinningmagnets said:
You might investigate if a submersible pump can be repurposed as a lower-voltage motor. I don't know if any are built for 12V/24V DC, but maybe worth a look.

A 3000-RPM motor that runs on 120V, might run at 1200-RPMs at 48V. Many "universal" motors run fine on either AC or DC...

If your needs are for a motor that will be immersed in liquid, heat would be MUCH less of an issue, so it should be fairly easy to fully pot an existing motor.

If yes, what is the ideal non-waterproof brushless motor for the job you need? Watts, volts, size, RPMs?

I want need to move a 300lb jetski to the water through soft sand on a 4wd beach kart. The motor would only possibly be submerged for a few seconds or minutes at most. I will most likely gear it to the largest wheel sprocket I can fit for as much torque as possible and a 1.5-2.5mph top speed. I was hoping to use a 24v 500w scooter motor for the job or the 350w curie gear reduction motor. for the throttle I am thinking about a single 100% water proof on/off switch and SLA batteries. This way I will not have to worry about a controller or throttle getting wet.

Helps to know the application.

How about something like one of these:

MY1016Z2 motor.JPG

You can find these on eBay or at Electricscooterparts.com for around $100. This one is called a MY1016Z2, made by Unite Motor.

This is a brushed motor, which means you can easily reverse it and you can run it straight off the battery without a controller.
Ad indicated output is 400 RPM at 24v. For your use, it might be fine running off a 12v battery and it would go about 1/2 speed.

These are not waterproof, but if you sealed the housing with silicone and packed the gear reduction with grease, it would probably survive a short time underwater. The idea of mounting it high and extending the chain is a good one. You could even just place a plastic container over it so when it goes into the water, an air pocket is trapped in the container where the motor is, like a diving bell.

Back