FREY eMTB with Bafang m600 is developing with your ideas!

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FREYebikes » Mar 18 2018 8:53am

Thank you for your sharing! :D
DaninSpain wrote:
Mar 17 2018 7:59am

:D :lol:
Actually, joking aside I felt like I was brave to take the road less travelled, bypass the middle men and plunge into the unknown (for me).
A few weeks in and a couple hundred km's and I have no regrets, I'm very happy with the performance of my bike.
In hindsight the only thing I would do differently is order the bike with no stickers. They are cheap and after I washed the bike for the 1st time yesterday, using warm water, a soft brush, a hose pipe to rinse and a lot of care, one of the stickers has partially peeled off and now looks a mess. Hardly a deal breaker, but as the rest of the bike seems good quality it's a shame that they chose cheap stickers.

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Post by FREYebikes » Mar 18 2018 9:02am

Hi friends, who know about SEA OTTER CLASSIC held in Monterey,California during 19th-22nd,April? just coming month.
We will be there! come with several bikes to show.
Welcome US friends come to have a fun, play and test our bike, and looking for partners for US market.
Anyone nearby or who would like to forward, we can make an appointment to meet there.
My email: sales@frey.bike
Link below:
http://www.seaotterclassic.com/

fechter   100 GW

100 GW

Post by fechter » Mar 18 2018 9:43pm

FREYebikes wrote:
Mar 18 2018 9:02am
Hi friends, who know about SEA OTTER CLASSIC held in Monterey,California during 19th-22nd,April? just coming month.
Cheaters?

Ah, I see they now actually have an event for us cheaters.
The Haibike eMTB Race ePowered by Bosch is a race held over an undulating circuit – using part of the famous Laguna Seca Recreation Area, rocky paths, and obstacles. Participants will finish on the leader’s lap, and the leader will need to complete 4 laps.

Entry fee: $55. Fee increases to $75 starting Monday, April 2, 2018. No refunds

Only eMTBs that meet the following California Vehicle Code specifications for a Class 1 electric bicycle are allowed to race:
•includes fully operable pedals
•includes an electric motor of less than 750 watts that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling
•the motor ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches a speed of 20 miles per hour
•the bicycle does not include a throttle

All eMTBs must pass a technical inspection no later than 30 minutes prior to race start time. Top finisher’s bikes will be inspected after the finish of their race. An inspection corral will be located near the start/finish of the race at the Sea Otter Bridge.
OK, I'll have to use the hidden magnetic reed switch :twisted:
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

18650   10 mW

10 mW

Post by 18650 » Mar 19 2018 3:49am

Hello AM1000 fans,

I like Johne-bike's proposal:
Johne-bike wrote:
Mar 17 2018 3:48am
Meanwhile, as a non-native speaker, I misunderstood DaninSpain's proposal, I kept reading "...BUY any other bike" all day, and was going to PM him in order to understand why he was giving us this advice :-/

It all depens on the target audience.

DaninSpain   100 mW

100 mW

Post by DaninSpain » Mar 19 2018 4:37pm

18650 wrote:
Mar 19 2018 3:49am
Hello AM1000 fans,

I like Johne-bike's proposal:
Johne-bike wrote:
Mar 17 2018 3:48am
Meanwhile, as a non-native speaker, I misunderstood DaninSpain's proposal, I kept reading "...BUY any other bike" all day, and was going to PM him in order to understand why he was giving us this advice :-/

It all depens on the target audience.
Hi 18650.
Confused. I didn't suggest 'BUY any other bike' :lol:
'The road less travelled' can have a double meaning. The 1st refers to people who do things their own unique way, and not the way everyone else does it. The 2nd is the literal meaning of the words; such as an off-road track etc.
The road less travelled by any other bike means other bikes are not able to travel on that road
Are you getting there yet 18650?
The best things in life are not things :)

Drop Dead Fred   100 W

100 W

Post by Drop Dead Fred » Mar 19 2018 5:58pm

FREYebikes wrote:
Mar 18 2018 9:02am
Welcome US friends come to have a fun, play and test our bike, and looking for partners for US market.
Anyone nearby or who would like to forward, we can make an appointment to meet there.
My email: sales@frey.bike
Link below:
Sorry going to be in MOAB riding and will have to miss this year.... But if my bike makes it I will be taking it too as there are a few rides you can do including the Slick Rock!
Good luck Ivy!

Z0RR0   100 µW

100 µW

Post by Z0RR0 » Mar 20 2018 11:47am

Since we're talking design and versions and whatnot, I would LOVE to see you guys (or anyone) come up with a more modern geometry, with more head angle, and the signature "kinked down tube that premium MTBs have.
Essentially look at what Haibike is doing in terms of designs, but not quite as high-end and with the Bafang Ultra instead of the less powerful europe-compliant motors.

18650   10 mW

10 mW

Post by 18650 » Mar 22 2018 2:18am

Hi DaninSpain,

of course I got the message, when I discovered it wasn't "bUy" but "by". But it took me some time and some wondering. What I wanted to say is, if the target audience is meant to be international, then the message should be simple (and "misunderstanding-proof"). If the audience is the US then it is probably OK.

DaninSpain wrote:
Mar 19 2018 4:37pm
18650 wrote:
Mar 19 2018 3:49am
[...] I kept reading "...BUY any other bike" all day, and was going to PM him in order to understand why he was giving us this advice :-/ ... It all depens on the target audience.
Hi 18650.
Confused. I didn't suggest 'BUY any other bike' :lol:
'The road less travelled' can have a double meaning. The 1st refers to people who do things their own unique way, and not the way everyone else does it. The 2nd is the literal meaning of the words; such as an off-road track etc.
The road less travelled by any other bike means other bikes are not able to travel on that road
Are you getting there yet 18650?

18650   10 mW

10 mW

Post by 18650 » Mar 22 2018 2:19am

Still silence about riding experience (power, range)?
Last edited by 18650 on Mar 28 2018 7:44am, edited 1 time in total.

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Post by FREYebikes » Mar 22 2018 8:27am

Thank you for your commends, we will take care about more possibility in future design on bike frame.
Z0RR0 wrote:
Mar 20 2018 11:47am
Since we're talking design and versions and whatnot, I would LOVE to see you guys (or anyone) come up with a more modern geometry, with more head angle, and the signature "kinked down tube that premium MTBs have.
Essentially look at what Haibike is doing in terms of designs, but not quite as high-end and with the Bafang Ultra instead of the less powerful europe-compliant motors.

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Post by FREYebikes » Mar 24 2018 12:06am

Hi,we made a video, anyone interested can have a look at below link:
https://youtu.be/eFKbGP_3QRY

Drop Dead Fred   100 W

100 W

Post by Drop Dead Fred » Mar 24 2018 1:54am

FREYebikes wrote:
Mar 24 2018 12:06am
Hi Ivy,

Nice video!

I wanted to let you know if you planned on anyone racing one of your bikes it needs to be set to 750w and have no throttle to be able to compete.

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Post by FREYebikes » Mar 26 2018 5:48am

Thank you for your info. We will take care about it. :)
Drop Dead Fred wrote:
Mar 24 2018 1:54am
FREYebikes wrote:
Mar 24 2018 12:06am
Hi Ivy,

Nice video!

I wanted to let you know if you planned on anyone racing one of your bikes it needs to be set to 750w and have no throttle to be able to compete.

Speady   10 W

10 W

Re: FREY eMTB with Bafang m600 is developing with your ideas!

Post by Speady » Mar 30 2018 3:33pm

Hello my friends @FREY,
I'm an ebike guy from Euroland, did some bbs2 and tsdz2 builds already and tried Bosch. As you're interested in various comments I'd like to share my whishlist with you.
EU is a large market for your product and has good and stable growth in Ebikes. Sure there is demand for your bike as long as you build it EU street legal, complying to the S-Ped regulations 28mph/ 45kmh. no thumb trottle. It needs to pay approval.
Ultradrive is too heavy, Bafang M600 is the way to go.
I wish you'd offer a speed commuter 45
It needs to have fenders, lights, mirror, S-tires, wide rims and a rack with the small numberplate on it.
And keep the big battery on it, weight doesn't matter too much on a ebike, range anxiety does. That's an issue some of the Haibike riders with Bosch Powerpack complain about when riding fast (The next issue is lack of power). You already have a 1Kw/h pack ready to go sitting on your shelf, that's twice the power your competitors in EU come along with.
Hope to see a quick-and-easy commuter Hardtail from you coming soon. Durable entry level groupset is OK as long as you keep the Batt/ Driveunit and get some decent Fork and Seat suspension. Some aired battery cover would be great, as a solar protection while sitting in the sun at summer. With no bunch of wires ontop stem but with precise fuel gauge on it, I'd possibly buy.

hoojsn   1 W

1 W

Post by hoojsn » Apr 01 2018 3:46am

FREYebikes wrote:
Mar 11 2018 2:41am
News from FREY: We have ordered a m500 set to make sample bike firstly. The motor should be deliveried in early April replied from Bafang, Now we are have good experience on the full suspension construction design and buliding. Still thinking about what type battery tube and battery case fit for the new model come with m500/600.
Any update on the arrival on the M500/M600? Can you check with Bafang on the following:

M500/M600

1. What is there Peak Watts?
2. Does the Gear come with Steel Gear?
3. The motor casing comes in Aluminum or Magnesium?

Thanks

Raisedeyebrows   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Raisedeyebrows » Apr 01 2018 11:39pm

Looks like Pivot did a nice job with the integrated battery thing, also using 157 superboost spacing, I'm sure the rear end is real stiff, I have one of their regular unpowered bikes with standard boost and it is just a wonderful bike to ride, love the design. On the Ebike they claim you can pull the battery out in one minute and put a new one in. I don't think I'd ever buy a bike with a proprietary battery but it looks nice the way they did it.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-rel ... uttle,1750
Yuba Mundo w/BBSHD
Specialized Hard Rock w/9c clone, statoraid, hubsink
Trek Fuel 90 w/BBSHD
Above all run on 14s4p 52v li-ion
Ecobike folder 36v
Currie Flyer scooter 24v on 24ah of SLA

Every trip made with electric bike is one less car trip, saves money, no toxic fumes, less noise, less impact on roads.

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Post by FREYebikes » Apr 06 2018 11:32pm

Orange and yellow color pattern decales. similar as Bafang orange color. How do you think about it?
IMG_20180407_121156.jpg
IMG_20180407_121216.jpg
IMG_20180407_121224.jpg
IMG_20180407_121424.jpg
IMG_20180407_121441.jpg

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Post by FREYebikes » Apr 06 2018 11:37pm

I'd like to answer your question about the Bafang Ultra motor version, the earlier one come out with silver background, now all come with orange backgroud logo. you saw the kits for sell on Alibaba I think the suppliers have not update the pictures upload earlier, that's why you see in the way.
And now all motors come with steel gear.
dalysea wrote:
Apr 03 2018 4:10am
I originally just came here to ask Ivy from Frey why some of the Bafang Ultra motors have an orange "BAFANG" on the cover plate and some are just black and white. I've been trying to find a pattern and so far none. The photos on the Bafang website show black and white, the photos on Luna's website show 3 different versions of black and white: one blank plastic-looking, one blank with deep metallic-looking ridges, and one with white "LUNA" lettering, but no orange. The kits for sale on alibaba are all black and white, but the actual complete bicycles for sale all seem to have the Bafang Ultra 1000 watt motor with the orange cover.

Anyway, when I got here, I saw other postings that raised a few other questions I have, and I apologize if these go a little bit off on a tangent from the Frey AM1000 topic, but they are related to other posts I'm seeing here, so I thought it would be best to post here.

1. Someone posted photos of an Sduro to which they had welded the aluminum mounting bracket, including the chainstays. The Sduro is a 6061 aluminum alloy, which I heard is weakened below 40% of its original strength during welding and must be heat treated after welding. The heat treatment process includes heating to 1000 degrees and then immediately quenching, which warps the shape of the aluminum so much that without proper equipment it is extremely difficult to return it to its original shape. So professional frame builders weld then heat then quench with the frames held in special equipment that keeps it from warping. Then it has to go through subsequent stages of heat treatment at lower temperatures. The 7005 aluminum alloy is more forgiving and supposedly you can get away with not heat treating after welding. And with the 6061 alloy, Karl suggested that if it's a good weld, 40% of original strength is probably okay, but not with chainstays involved, which they are for the Sduro, so that's why I figured I'd ask, "in general, are people finding the 40% of original strength to be adequate?"

2. People are talking about what is exclusive to Luna with respect to the Bafang Ultra motor. Here's what I found while researching:

From Luna's website:
"The Mag ultra is made from magnesium weighing 2 pounds less than the standard drive."
"We replace the internal nylon gears with stronger steel gears and use our own proprietary sine wave controller to make all this possible."
"Magnesium Version. 15 pounds."

From Luna's youtube tear-down video:
Eric: "the whole unit is 2 lbs heavier than the HD"
Josh: "It's that nylon gear keeps it quiet"
Eric: "I know that people are considering making these metal to make it even stronger, but we haven't seen many failed nylon gears..."
Josh: "no, even in the HD."

Roshan from Biktrix:
"The BBSHD is 12 lbs, the Bafang Ultra is 16 lbs"
"All new Bafang Ultra motors are made with casing made from magnesium [and 2 other metals he mentioned]."

Everyone seems to agree that the BBSHD weighs 12 pounds. Whether the Bafang Ultra has a special magnesium version or they're all magnesium and whether it weighs 14, 15, 16, or even 17 pounds and whether it has metal or nylon depends on who you ask or even which part of their website you check. And is the sine wave controller truly proprietary to Luna? (I thought that was only for the Sur-Ron)

3. And lastly, the programming differences between BBSHD and Ultra...

To control how quickly the motor cuts out after you stop pedaling, since I've seen this issue mentioned by a few different people.

For the BBSHD, it was in the Pedal Assist tab:
Time of Stop(x10ms): 25\25\25\25\10– This affects how quickly the drive stops after you stop pedaling. Some people report that setting this lower (as low as 5) may affect the startup delay on the throttle. If you set it to 0 the PAS system ceases to work. 25 is probably too high. This setting disables the PAS if it is set less than 5. I strongly recommend setting this to 5, especially if you want to use the PAS system without using ebrakes. If you set this less than 10 on the v2 of the BBS02 controllers then your PAS will not work properly at all. On the older BBS02v1 controllers and the BBSHD controllers you can set this as low as 5 before you start having issues with the PAS.

Although in my software, I didn't have "Time of Stop(x10ms)", mine always showed as "Stop Delay(x10ms)"

In the new software that has the additional Torque tab, the Pedal Assist tab has:
Time of Stop(x10ms)
Stop Decay

But Karl says most of these settings in Pedal Assist tab are ignored, so do either of these have any effect on turning off the motor after pedaling stops?

Thanks!

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Post by FREYebikes » Apr 08 2018 11:23pm

If you really can't find it locally. We can support.
kerim wrote:
Apr 07 2018 6:42am
I have got my Frey AM1000 a while ago and I am really happy so far. I have tested it on my local trails and its doing really well. Can't wait to take in into the mountains now the weather in the UK is finally getting better. Unfortunately I have now lost my charger while doing some work on the house. I feel really stupid but I really cant find it. Where can I get a new one?

Cheers,

Kerim

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Post by FREYebikes » Apr 13 2018 10:54am

We have a test ride in mountains today, I also ride a bike in M size. I'm not tall, the bike to me is a little big, but the seat tube height is OK to ride on.
We ride in mountain and try to ride in the area without good road condition or even without road. I think there is few bike can ride in the terrain. Thanks to the good power motor, throttle to help start in some condition and 6km push mode by pressing "_" button also helps much when we reach somewhere there is no path for riding. It is really a good bike to conquer all kind of terrain.
To my experience, there is not many bikes can ride in all kinds terrain or it may require a good capacity and skills to the riders. But to AM1000 rider, it will become more easier.
Below some photos we ride in mountains today. You can see I'm a little woman. : )
Later we will try to upload some video for you have a look.
_DSC6886.JPG
_DSC6899.JPG
IMG_20180413_141036.jpg
_DSC6870.JPG
_DSC6856.JPG
IMG_20180413_135745.jpg
IMG_20180413_152010.jpg

Drop Dead Fred   100 W

100 W

Post by Drop Dead Fred » Apr 13 2018 11:26am

Hello Frey Bikes,

Will Frey bikes still be going to the Sea Otter next week?

I look forward to seeing some video, especially with helmets on... :)
FREYebikes wrote:
Apr 13 2018 10:54am
We have a test ride in mountains today, I also ride a bike in M size. I'm not tall, the bike to me is a little big, but the seat tube height is OK to ride on.
We ride in mountain and try to ride in the area without good road condition or even without road. I think there is few bike can ride in the terrain. Thanks to the good power motor, throttle to help start in some condition and 6km push mode by pressing "_" button also helps much when we reach somewhere there is no path for riding. It is really a good bike to conquer all kind of terrain.
To my experience, there is not many bikes can ride in all kinds terrain or it may require a good capacity and skills to the riders. But to AM1000 rider, it will become more easier.
Below some photos we ride in mountains today. You can see I'm a little woman. : )

_DSC6886.JPG
_DSC6899.JPG
IMG_20180413_141036.jpg
_DSC6870.JPG
_DSC6856.JPG
IMG_20180413_135745.jpg
IMG_20180413_152010.jpg

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W

Post by FREYebikes » Apr 13 2018 8:54pm

Yes, we will be there during 19-22nd. in coming week.
And 17-18th in San Francisco.

Any friends around then?
Drop Dead Fred wrote:
Apr 13 2018 11:26am
Hello Frey Bikes,

Will Frey bikes still be going to the Sea Otter next week?

I look forward to seeing some video, especially with helmets on... :)
FREYebikes wrote:
Apr 13 2018 10:54am

_DSC6886.JPG
_DSC6899.JPG
IMG_20180413_141036.jpg
_DSC6870.JPG
_DSC6856.JPG
IMG_20180413_135745.jpg
IMG_20180413_152010.jpg

2old   100 kW

100 kW

Post by 2old » Apr 13 2018 10:47pm

I didn't see your company listed with the exhibitors; what booth will you be at?

woggs1   1 mW

1 mW

Post by woggs1 » Apr 13 2018 11:39pm

FREYebikes wrote:
Apr 13 2018 8:54pm

Any friends around then?
I work in San Francisco in the financial district on Market Street, where exactly will you be? I would like to see the bike in person.

fechter   100 GW

100 GW

Post by fechter » Apr 14 2018 11:07am

woggs1 wrote:
Apr 13 2018 11:39pm
FREYebikes wrote:
Apr 13 2018 8:54pm

Any friends around then?
I work in San Francisco in the financial district on Market Street, where exactly will you be? I would like to see the bike in person.
I work in San Francisco too. Let us know where you will be.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"