Grin Phase Runner / CA3 and BBSHD

Hi all,

in the meantime I had a chat with Justin and I might get some unpotted phaserunners without any wiring attached.
So the options at this point are wide open, and I'll prepare some documentation regarding possible wiring. Could you give me some kind of idea of what you would prefer?

Reinhard

electricwheels.de said:
Hi all,

in the meantime I had a chat with Justin and I might get some unpotted phaserunners without any wiring attached.
So the options at this point are wide open, and I'll prepare some documentation regarding possible wiring. Could you give me some kind of idea of what you would prefer?

Reinhard

What about one that is plug and play with the BBSHD and CA, and you would pot them?

To connect a standard CA3-DPS with a standard Phaserunner and a standard BBSx you would need 5 adapters:
1. a throttle adapter to connect your BBSx throttle with the CA3
2. a brake adapter to connect your BBSx brakes with the CA3
3. a PAS adapter to connect your BBSx PAS sensor with the CA3
4. a hall adapter to connect your BBSx hall sensors with the Phaserunner
5. a phase adapter to connect your BBSx phase wires with the Phaserunner

note that the bridge between the PAS adaptor and the hall adaptor is for the +5V power supply to the PAS sensors.
standard CA3 and Phaserunner.JPG

I guess I was hoping to have your higo setup on the CA so not so many adapters.

Is there any estimate on when the higo connected cycle analyst will become available? I had already made my phaserunner higo compatible but the CA would be amazing.

electricwheels.de said:
To connect a standard CA3-DPS with a standard Phaserunner and a standard BBSx you would need 5 adapters:

note that the bridge between the PAS adaptor and the hall adaptor is for the +5V power supply to the PAS sensors.

Do you make these adapters? Otherwise I will have to buy HIGO plugs and crimp on JST connectors if I don't want to cut the original connections?

tinasdude said:
The CA3 with Higos is on his website.
The CA3-HIGO is more or less the standard CA3-DP/DPS upgrade. It is NOT suitable for use with BBSx controllers.
With an adapter (HIGO to JST) you can use a CA3-HIGO with the Phaserunner. A full CA3/Phaserunner set (including plug and play harness) will be available later in the year.

electricwheels.de said:
tinasdude said:
The CA3 with Higos is on his website.
The CA3-HIGO is more or less the standard CA3-DP/DPS upgrade. It is NOT suitable for use with BBSx controllers.
With an adapter (HIGO to JST) you can use a CA3-HIGO with the Phaserunner. A full CA3/Phaserunner set (including plug and play harness) will be available later in the year.
How much later in the year?

How do I wire in my current gearsensor?

I am guessing just have the two ebrake sensors and gear sensor wire into the same connection and connect that to the ebrake connector on the CA3?

Guys seriously, let the Hugo's go and move on. Amazon has an 11 dollar kit with every JST connector you'll ever need for the rest of your life. Just get the crimper and watch a YouTube video how to use them. Soooo much nicer when you can make the wires the length you need anyway. Besides, you'll want this anyway to shorten the CA3 wires and accessories anyway.
Internal PAS on BBSHD works fine with the Phase runner. The Phaserunner will not fit where the stock controller went. I mounted mine on the back of the seat stay tube.

Moving on... Despite having hit 53mph, I found a way to unlock even more power. Increased max amps from battery in phaserunner settings and BBSHD now whisper quiet and still cool at 60amps and I think I hit 5300 watts. It pulls so hard I may have to slow it down with the CA3 a bit. Also, I took the motor apart to grease the gears and am happy to report the internals looked brand new. Windings and rotor literally look brand new and I ride it everyday hard. In comparison, running 54v I burned a BBSHD with a shunt modded controller cruising in high gear. Phaserunner, high voltage and low gears = long life!

Another thing I think is worth mentioning... I picked up a cyclone 3000 and spent the last couple weeks getting it installed. After countless tweaks and attempts I simply could not get this motor to run as good as the BBSHD and phaserunner.

Consequently, Luna sold this to me with a Bac 800 4000watt 72v controller and claimed it to be plug and play and tuned perfectly. That was bull. That controller faulted out and shut down every time I'd goose the throttle. Tried the phaserunner and because I could program that one, it did run better but BBSHD is faster and so much quieter. If I was only running 48v the cyclone would probably be a big jump in torque over the BBSHD and stock controller but the phaserunner Flux weakening is incredible on the BBSHD. On the cyclone, I actually didn't see the benefit.

Seriously? You rode your motorcycle on bicycle trails in Topanga State Park? What an F'n jerk! It is people like you who will cause the Rangers to ban all ebikes from the park. What a selfish self centered asshole. And insult to injury, you used the throttle all the way, so that there would be no doubt that you were totally illegal.

Yes I did. I asked someone there and they said as long as I stayed on the fire trails (believe that's what he called them) he said it was fine. I had street tires and probably went all of 5-8mph so I didn't kill myself.

I don't appreciate your language or your assumptions. Have some class and control your language. It just makes you look like a jerk. Instead, why not lend a bit of advice and let me know ebike aren't allowed there. I read the signs and asked before I dared go out of respect and concern. You didn't even care to ask and assumed I was riding like I stole it. Ever ride street tires in sand? Doesn't work very well. I had to go slow... Very slow.

For anyone else who is enjoying the help I'm freely offering, feel free to pm me. I have no interest in helping people who don't appreciate it.

agree with him
while riding my Eplus fake pedalling all the way on pathway when I live Calgary
all the sudden I was passed by self entitled jerk on Bafang not even moving his legs at all.
Jerks like him for sure will prompt some dog walkers, runners, you name them to call Calgary 311 to report illegal vehicle on pathway,
2,3, 10 such calls and by-law will be hiding on pathways waiting for us ebike riders to write us tickets.

electricwheels.de said:

Anyone know where I can get the brake adapter and the Throttle adapter?

Also I think I need the bridge adapter for the pas to hall +5v.

Guys, I mentioned occasionally getting instantaneous overcurrent faults during part throttle acceleration and resolved it.
After auto tune, I set current bandwidth and PLL to 0. Then I went to advanced screen and set Ki and Kp manually. I actually left KP alone. (auto tune value of 118) but lowered ki from the auto tune value to .2 and the overcurrent faults stopped completely.

At this point I'm getting a reliable 4500-5000 watts out of the BBSHD on 88v and about 55-60 amps. The key is the heatsinks I added to the motor. Barely ever breaks 100 degrees F.

I tried a cyclone looking for more power but the BBSHD was better.

Aerialpixels said:
Guys seriously, let the Hugo's go and move on. Amazon has an 11 dollar kit with every JST connector you'll ever need for the rest of your life. Just get the crimper and watch a YouTube video how to use them. Soooo much nicer when you can make the wires the length you need anyway. Besides, you'll want this anyway to shorten the CA3 wires and accessories anyway.
Internal PAS on BBSHD works fine with the Phase runner. The Phaserunner will not fit where the stock controller went. I mounted mine on the back of the seat stay tube.

Moving on... Despite having hit 53mph, I found a way to unlock even more power. Increased max amps from battery in phaserunner settings and BBSHD now whisper quiet and still cool at 60amps and I think I hit 5300 watts. It pulls so hard I may have to slow it down with the CA3 a bit. Also, I took the motor apart to grease the gears and am happy to report the internals looked brand new. Windings and rotor literally look brand new and I ride it everyday hard. In comparison, running 54v I burned a BBSHD with a shunt modded controller cruising in high gear. Phaserunner, high voltage and low gears = long life!

Another thing I think is worth mentioning... I picked up a cyclone 3000 and spent the last couple weeks getting it installed. After countless tweaks and attempts I simply could not get this motor to run as good as the BBSHD and phaserunner.

Consequently, Luna sold this to me with a Bac 800 4000watt 72v controller and claimed it to be plug and play and tuned perfectly. That was bull. That controller faulted out and shut down every time I'd goose the throttle. Tried the phaserunner and because I could program that one, it did run better but BBSHD is faster and so much quieter. If I was only running 48v the cyclone would probably be a big jump in torque over the BBSHD and stock controller but the phaserunner Flux weakening is incredible on the BBSHD. On the cyclone, I actually didn't see the benefit.
Will this connector pack do the job? What would the best thermo paste to get? Again, thanks for your help here. You have given me the confidence or false confidence to move ahead. https://www.amazon.com/QLOUNI-560Piece-JST-XHP-Connector-Housing/dp/B0774TF39N/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526924230&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=jst+connector+set&psc=1

Aerialpixels said:
So I've been running this setup everyday on my commute and whole heartedly can say it's simply amazing. Hall sensors can be wired anyway you choose however I simply omitted the purple wire as it's not used. I have been tinkering with a few settings and even managed to eliminate the initial jerk of the chain when applying the throttle while coasting. The throttle engages so smoothly it puts the original Bafang controller to shame. Again, I'll put together a few screen shots or list the settings / wire connections but it's really simple.

With a 42t chain ring and 32 tooth cog out back (3rd gear on my 11 speed Sram 1150 cassette) the bike can pull wheelies from a 15mph roll if I want and tops out at 47mph which I've confirmed by GPS on my phone. I have forgotten what it's like to shift and love it. Because of the low gearing, the bike only pulls 10-20 amps at 30mph which is just over half throttle.

So far motor temps have not exceeded 95 degrees F which is fed from a 10k thermistor I installed on the stator windings.

Over the week I've gradually increased power while watching temps. I'm at 45 amps @88v and couldn't be happier. I had the 3 position switch set for 25a, 35a and 45a. I switched it to the lower levels a couple times and was so bored I took the switch out.

I'll post updates again soon. Today's run was 82 degrees outside and motor only ran 10 degrees over ambient.

Just buy it from ebike.ca and never look back. You can do it. Don't pay more.

Joe

My motor is older and has no thermistor wire. what thermistor wire did you use and where on the stator did you install it. thanks

Back