Questions on a Cyclone 3000W

Secular

1 mW
Hello,

I've spent the last week researching this (probably still not enough time. New to bikes but not electronics.) and I had a few questions about the Cyclone 3000W kit form Luna Cycles.

First off, will it fit my bike?
I currently dont have access to it to see what kind of bottom bracket it is, but I've attached some pictures. I'm going to wager a guess that no ones going to be able to give me a confirmed answer but I thought I would try. Its a 2011(ish) Giant Cypress LX. It does measure about 68mm, I'm not sure if that is definitive of it being threaded square taper without taking it apart.

Cyclone 3000W kit
I've been reading that there are issues with the mounting bracket and it contorting causing the chain to detach and messing up the sprockets. I plan to use this setup to commute to work with 0.5-1kW (2kW MAX, 52v@40A) and I was wondering if this issue is more predominate in high vibration, higher power situations.

I will continue to read through old threads, but if any one has any knowledge of other short comings or a particular thread I should read, please let me know. Seems like the kit comes with everything (minus the batteries, BCM, wiring, and elbow grease) to get things moving. Then the endless upgrade and modification cycle begins!

Batteries
Where is a good place to get 18650 cells? I've found a few recommendations on this forum (HERE - NKON) and of course Alliexpress. NKON has some pretty long deliveries but I'm more so concerned about the mAh of 2500 (although its a NCR18650B?). Seems low for today's standards. I'm located in Canada although I dont think that matters too much. It all comes from overseas anyways.

I'm planning on going with a 14S4P 18650 pack. This puts me around 10-12mAh. I'm hoping for some feedback on this but my commute to work is only 7km and mostly flat. I figure this will give me about an hour at 500W or 30 mins 1kW. The bike commute is 20 minutes so disregarding that mAh rating is a best case I could almost ride completely powered all the way to work. But again, I would appreciate your experience in the matter.

Thank you!

The file size got me.

Attachments

• IMG_1A584599C6A3-1 sm.jpg
    IMG_1A584599C6A3-1 sm.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 848
  • IMG_518F649EC3C9-1.jpeg
    IMG_518F649EC3C9-1.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 848
I may have asked too many questions for one thread. Is a bit daunting. Haha.

I would really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on the bottom bracket for this bike. From my research it looks like 68mm is either taper square, ISIS, BB or PF. All of which are good to go for this kind drive kit.

Is there any possibility that 68mm could be a different bottom bracket that may not work? Is there any measurement I could check to rule this possibility out?

Thank you.

on the backside of the crank arm, find the shimano part number then you could look up specs for that part number.. remove the crank arm fixing bolt and you can see the spindle crank interface shape.. looking at the picture its most likely square taper.. measure the frame bb width with digital calipers, likely 68 or 73mm frame bb width.. take a close picture of the left side crank arm / bb, do you see any threads on the bb cup from the left side?? most likely its a threaded cartridge bb.. maybe take the bike to your local bicycle shop and they could tell you the crank and bb specs, etc.. if you plan to install a mid drive cyclone, etc then the crank arms and bb will need to be removed anyway to install the kit, so have that done at the bike shop or you will need to buy special tools, crank arm puller and bb tool.. with the crank arms removed you can measure the bb spindle length.. the bb can be difficult to remove from the frame even with the correct tools, especially on an older bike where it could be rusted / corroded, stuck in the frame..

Back