New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

jur said:
@casainho, I am very happy you are on board!

So for the TSDZ2 I would like to be able to set my own assist levels for the 4 available settings. I think at present it is 33% added, 100%, 200% and 300%. I would like to be able to set those multiplication factors myself, and also the maximum power/current that these levels are working with. The default it comes on with, 33%, seems too low; I would like a useful default.

On Kunteng LCD, we can define 5 levels of assistance. We developed the firmware for the motor controller and the PC software so the user can define the multiplication factor (1.0 is motor controller max current, on TSDZ2 motor controller, 1.0 would equal to 15 amps) for each assistance level on the PC software -- here a screenschot of the PC software:

The PC software writes the firmware to STM8S105 microcontroller that is the brain of Kunteng motor controllers. The TSDZ2 motor controller also has STM8S105 microcontroller and this means most of the work is done already :)

Drum said:
@casainho,

The idea of being able to teach the controller new tricks is really interesting, and could allow users to tune the system to suit their riding style and conditions.. a real bonus.
As far as the inclimometer is concerned, just remember that acceleration and braking will be read as a change in slope, which might make it more difficult to write code for that function..
Good luck with the project, I will be interested to see the results!
Dave

Perhaps instead of or in addition to the inclimometer the motor should have a setting that measures stress (output) along with low declining speeds. The problem that I can see is when speeds are below say 7mph (depending on gearing) and speed is dropping, even though torque output is high.

On a side note, we need more places to plug in and charge. We had a rough evening last night. First we had to charge our battery to get home and the Wendys and Starbucks there did not have outside outlets. We found an outlet in a strip mall near a preschool but a woman driving a Lexus complained about us being there. So I had to explain to the employees that we needed a penny's worth of electricity to climb the big hill to get home, all while the Lexus driver put her kids in the car and was threatening to spank them. Then we had another confrontation at the rabies shot clinic because of their explanation about how they are protecting my dog by injecting him with toxins, they actually want people to believe they are doing the animals a service and if you don't agree with them they get angry.

Please, if the mother ship lands near any of you please ask them to pick up Cecil and me before returning to our home planet. Thanks!

squee22 said:
walk assist/6km mode.
Not all that usefull but good for help when pushing the bike up a hill. Really you need to be pushing the bike. this just makes the bike lighter - but like the pedal assist this motor does not meant to do all the work on it's own. You are expected to help with the pushing so it won't burn out on the hills. I have used it twice in the first week riding, pushing the bike up hill and although I am moving a bit slower - I am much less tired at the top.

Can you tell us how did you install Walk assist in the TSDZ2 motor ?
Did you connect the thumb throttle to the VLCD5 Display.
Its compatible with the 350w motor.

Any technical details?

Thanks because we don´t have many information about it.

There is a setting in the advanced options for the 6kmh speed setting. After you turn on the unit and it initializes press and hold the power and "i" button simultaneously for 5 seconds. Then cycle through the options by pressing and depressing the i button until you get to 6kph and it will say "off" underneath it. change that setting to on and you are in walk mode. I would assume it is compatible as long as you find that setting on your display, I have it on mine with 48v motor and vlcd5 display with throttle.

AZUR said:
Thanks. After setup how can activate walk assist ?

Press and hold down - button

Thanks all.

I´m going to buy 350w 36v from FutureBike Italy.

It`s 18A.

They have the axle for 92mm and the adapter for 41mm.

My bike it´s Shimano press fit 71.

My BB is 89,5x41mm.

I don´t know any other supplier for this Bottom Bracket.

Do you know?

AZUR said:

It`s 18A.
Nice to know that this controllers can hold 18A, this means 48V version can hold 864W (900W considering a full charged battery) with and not can the 720W (advertised 750W, considering battery will hold a bit higher voltage when charged) of 48V * 15A controller. I think 15A controller is just a configured parameter on the firmware and not the controller max current limit, that should be at least that 18A!!

casainho said:
AZUR said:

It`s 18A.
Nice to know that this controllers can hold 18A, this means 48V version can hold 864W (900W considering a full charged battery) with and not can the 720W (advertised 750W, considering battery will hold a bit higher voltage when charged) of 48V * 15A controller. I think 15A controller is just a configured parameter on the firmware and not the controller max current limit, that should be at least that 18A!!

Take note, alot of resellers claim 18a, but almost no one actually knows or sets it at that. FutureBike Italy is on top of his stuff, so he probably does have the 18a, but I know EVERY other company I contact doesn't even really know. If you scroll way back in this thread, you will see where I opened some '18a' motors, and they had a 15a controller inside. Furthermore, the 15a controllers usually are only set to 13a!, so take note...

18a is the highest I recommend though, FYI....

ebikeman123 said:
Has anyone been able to find a place that sells crank-arms with a smaller q-factor? Aliexpress?

I got these from bike24: https://www.bike24.com/p2142270.html

Didn't take any measurements but at least my right knee stopped aching after installing these

eyebyesickle said:
casainho said:
Take note, alot of resellers claim 18a, but almost no one actually knows or sets it at that. FutureBike Italy is on top of his stuff, so he probably does have the 18a, but I know EVERY other company I contact doesn't even really know. If you scroll way back in this thread, you will see where I opened some '18a' motors, and they had a 15a controller inside. Furthermore, the 15a controllers usually are only set to 13a!, so take note...

Thank you for your help. And about the voltages, do you think they can also be configured? like the 52V motor controller be configured to work at 48V and 36V?

I’ve read through a good amount of this forum. Great info. I’m wondering if anyone has tried installing this on a Yuba Supermarche?
And also, what brand of plugs does it use? Does it work with a gear change sensor?

casainho said:
eyebyesickle said:
casainho said:

Thank you for your help. And about the voltages, do you think they can also be configured? like the 52V motor controller be configured to work at 48V and 36V?

Yes, from what I can tell, all 6 pin controllers are the same, and all 8 pin controllers are the same, you can just program them as needed. The 36v and 48v motors are different however, with slightly different winds.

eyebyesickle said:
casainho said:
eyebyesickle said:
casainho said:

Yes, from what I can tell, all 6 pin controllers are the same, and all 8 pin controllers are the same, you can just program them as needed. The 36v and 48v motors are different however, with slightly different winds.
Thank you, this is great, good flexibility this controllers have :)

I am thinking that may be a good idea to have only one firmware for both motor controllers: Kunteng KT and Tongsheng TSDZ2. Because that way we can reuse most of the tools, since the build tools up to software configuration tool, and maybe most important, keep the users together and that way I hope both firmwares will be strong. Also I think this 2 systems are kind of a complement and not duplicate, they together will cover wider range of ebike types/needs. I think they share the same philosophy: work well, really cheap, easy to buy in many online shops including spare parts for customization or repair.

I invite everyone that want to know the tecnhical details about this motor controllers and our OpenSource firmware, please visit our development page: https://opensourceebikefirmware.bitbucket.io/development/Motor_controllers--BMSBattery_S_series--BMSBattery_S06S.html
Anyone with knowledge or that simple want to learn, are welcome!! We need everyone to move this forward in a fast way!!

Hello!

I have a problem as the tsdz2 doesn't give pedal support at low speeds or when starting to drive (as the bullitt is a cargo bike I need a huge amount of torque to start biking so the sensor should register torque and send a signal to motor).

I Installed the tsdz2 350 w with xh18 om my bullitt today. Had to cut some of the brackets away with a grinder to make it fit on the bullitt frame.
Spend the better part of the day hiding the cables, but it looks great. At higher speeds (10 km and up) the pedal support kicks in and it works like a breeze. Anybody here knows the reason why it doesn't work at low speed at the moment?

Thanks!

Will post pictures of the setup tomorrow, in case somebody else wants to convert a bullitt to a pedelec.

raw_bullitt said:
Hello!

I have a problem as the tsdz2 doesn't give pedal support at low speeds or when starting to drive (as the bullitt is a cargo bike I need a huge amount of torque to start biking so the sensor should register torque and send a signal to motor).

I Installed the tsdz2 350 w with xh18 om my bullitt today. Had to cut some of the brackets away with a grinder to make it fit on the bullitt frame.
Spend the better part of the day hiding the cables, but it looks great. At higher speeds (10 km and up) the pedal support kicks in and it works like a breeze. Anybody here knows the reason why it doesn't work at low speed at the moment?

Thanks!

Will post pictures of the setup tomorrow, in case somebody else wants to convert a bullitt to a pedelec.
Did u let it calibrate the torque sensor? Stay off the pedals for 10 seconds after u turn it on. It calibrates every tim u turn it on.

[/quote]
Did u let it calibrate the torque sensor? Stay off the pedals for 10 seconds after u turn it on. It calibrates every tim u turn it on.
[/quote]

Thanks!

Will give it a try tomorrow, I did read that the sensor needs calibration, but didn't realize it takes 10 seconds.

Will let inform if it worked!

Is it a big deal if you can't use the kickstand mounting area to secure the motor? I really want to use a kickstand and the ones that mount in the rear interfear with my disk brakes.

Trying to finalize my order for the TSDZ2 from PSWpower for a 48v motor and I see there are two choices, a 500w, or a 750w. Why would I choose one over the other?

Also they are asking for the BB size of either 68, or 73. I thought one kit would fit both, right?

Farther said:
Is it a big deal if you can't use the kickstand mounting area to secure the motor? I really want to use a kickstand and the ones that mount in the rear interfear with my disk brakes.
Our Raleigh Kodiak full suspension bike does not have a kickstand mounting area. I tossed that part from our motor and I wrapped a heavy duty zip tie in an x pattern around the bb to secure the motor in place. So far we put about 150 miles on it without any issues and the motor has not moved.

Farther said:
Trying to finalize my order for the TSDZ2 from PSWpower for a 48v motor and I see there are two choices, a 500w, or a 750w. Why would I choose one over the other?

Also they are asking for the BB size of either 68, or 73. I thought one kit would fit both, right?

I believe the 750w is tuned for more power. There are pluses and minuses to having more or less power.

I believe the 68 and 73 option is the same exact motor except they send two extra (5mm longer) bolts and 2 extra small spacers which are used for the side bracket mounting plate when mounting on a 73. I ordered the 73mm kit and mine came with the standard bolts and spacers for a 68mm installation as well as the extra long bolts and 2 additional spacers for the 73.

gggplaya said:

Hmm, I wonder if turning the unit on while pedaling slowly will tune the motor to kick in only at higher speeds. I think I will try that :)

Farther said:

Well, they actually are exactly the same motor/controller, the power setting isnt even changed - it's the 15a version. It ticks me off how they do that. Same thing with the 250w/350w for the 36v with them - its the 36v13a... just one product - and PSW isnt the only vendor who does that, but they are the vendor stealing my ad photos and refusing to take them down so I don't mind speaking up about that! ha...

Back