My mid-drive E-Skooter

Front fork assembly. Had to use pillow bearings as the wheelbarrow wheel bearings are low quality ones. Doing it this way also enables me to adjust the fork length and orientation in many ways.

2018-03-08 18.12.28.jpg

I love this build it shows your determination to ride an electric scooter is so much you built your own,

I like the heavy duty front bearing on the plastic wheel I know most would say nasty things but they miss the point you have done well with what you was given, I'd ride it maybe not 50mph but I'd do a steady 20mph on her.

Those lipos do look puffed up be careful when charging them try do it outside in a place that if they blow they only take themself's out, myself I'd clamp a block of wood either side of a fresh pack they have served they purpose by the looks they are well used so charge slow and monitor the discharge with a volt ammeter to have a clue how stressed they are with voltage drop under load.

How do you charge ? what's the procedure and equipment you use ?

Thanks Ian. The main reason I made this e-scooter myself is that I don't feel comfortable riding small ones like the evo or velocifero etc. They're just too small for anyone over 5' 11" or 6' tall. Besides, it's much more fun building it yourself.

This is my first experience building something like this. I will replace the plastic wheels with proper 14" or 15" scooter wheels later.

I use this RC lipo/li-ion charger from imax.

New-iMAX-B6-AC-80W-B6AC-Lipo-NiMH-3S-4S-5S-RC-Battery-Balance-Charger-EU.jpg_220x220.jpg

So far there's no problem with the lipos. But as you said, they have seen better days and not very safe to use in the long run.

As long as you balance charge them and store in a place that's not full of combustible's your doing your best, In the words of a famous youtuber "you can only piss with the cock you've got" so them wheels are fine fella it's suits you fine and that's all it needs to do.
keep your dick in a vice.

Ian, what do you mean exactly by "keep your dick in a vice"? Ha haa.. Anyway, the combo meter I ordered from aliexpress arrived yesterday. The LCD brightness seems okay indoor.
2018-04-20 16.39.17.jpg
2018-04-20 16.59.18.jpg

If you watch AVE on YouTube you will soon hear him say keep your dick in a vice it's a term for keep safe.

Good purchase keepin your eye on the total discharge figures etc.

The height adjustable seat post that I made. Should be robust enough to support my 93kg frame. I haven't bolt it to the floor board yet. The seat has some springs and rubber bushes underneath. Those would be very useful to cushion shocks as this scooter has no suspension.

2018-05-02 19.40.45.jpg

2018-05-02 19.40.13.jpg

There's not much progress since my last post. I made a bracket from aluminium to attach the headlight to handlebar post. The headlight is really bright. It draws about 0.96A at 25.3V (about 24W).

2018-07-20 00.55.24.jpg

2018-07-20 00.56.22.jpg

2018-07-20 00.54.33.jpg

armandd said:
Ianhill said:
What the locals think of your ride ?

They keep asking why I don't just buy a scooter instead of building one myself. :lol:

If I'm on my bike I get some crazy responses mostly nice, my big scooter at the moment is off the road so I only have a 24v 500w razor e300 to pop to the shop and that's super slow :(

I've got a lot of ideas but I'm settling on a qs 10 inch 4000w hub for my next scooter and make my large scooter a 60mph 10kw tank I've been gathering parts like mice soon I will make a monster.

Wow 4000W! :shock: That's good for running over small children, haha.. Yeah QS motors are nice but out of my budget at the moment. Do you plan to register it on the road? Where's your location Ian?

Wales UK,
I save like mad and then blow it all on electrical stuff but sometimes my build works out well and I end up with something decent like my ebike took me a year but it's a comfortable cruiser swallows miles up and don't get a numb bum very plush ride.

I use my scooters off road on mountains paths with owners permission so there no need to register It i'm fairly responsible so it will stay off road, It may end up in a small wheel pit bike as that is a lot of power most I've had so far was 4.4kw and that felt rapid standing up doing 48mph had quite a few brown moments.

Ian, I couldn't find your build post. Mind sharing the link? Anyway, I plan to build the floor board like this, with foot rests for more comfortable riding position.

scooter board 1.jpg

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=82374

I like that deck it's got nice graphics and good idea to get your weight low, I find I ride sideways a bit too so I don't know if I'd be comfortable but I like the idea and where you going with it.

Ianhill said:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=82374

I like that deck it's got nice graphics and good idea to get your weight low, I find I ride sideways a bit too so I don't know if I'd be comfortable but I like the idea and where you going with it.

Thanks for the encouraging words. :D

I think the look of this scooter without the seat post is growing on me now. :roll:

2018-08-16 12.51.58.jpg

In the past few weeks I did some work on the rear wheel. Made adapters for the pillow bearings using some L-shaped aluminium. It's not finished yet, still figuring out the best way to do it. I also mounted the seat post to the floor board.

2018-10-12 19.12.49.jpg

2018-10-12 19.13.35.jpg

2018-10-12 19.14.35.jpg

2018-10-12 19.15.30.jpg

Made this sprocket adapter from 6 mm and 3 mm aluminium sheet to drive the wheelbarrow wheel. A bit over engineered but really sturdy and it spreads the radial load evenly over the 8 'beams' of the wheel.

20200328_183721 (2).jpg

20200330_172058 (2).jpg

Back