NASCAR has announced it's going all-electric by 2021

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Hehe... ESB "Search found 205 matches: NASCAR"... but not this about NASCAR...
(Spoiler Alert: "April1st Announcement")
[youtube]2_-9S8ab_Ns[/youtube]

Getting the "hillbillies" all riled up.

You ever see the Top Gear show where the 3 brits buy all true american vehicles, then spray paint on NASCAR SUCKS, and something about gays and something about politics. They got ran outta town, rocks thrown.
https://youtu.be/pKcJ-0bAHB4?t=257

drivin' 'round in circles ;)

LockH said:
Hehe... ESB "Search found 205 matches: NASCAR"... but not this about NASCAR...
(Spoiler Alert: "April1st Announcement")
[youtube]2_-9S8ab_Ns[/youtube]

So I'm picturing the Formula E approach where they switch cars. They'd need 10, because with their boot in it the whole way the Tesla would make 50 miles. Or maybe less. The current rule is what? You get maybe 5 minutes to work on the car and continue? So if they can get those batteries swapped in 5 minutes the driver can use the car again late in the race. Otherwise they'd just need another car.

I always thought NASCAR should have made the cars run on Moonshine. White Lightnin'. Bush Whiskey. Just like Indy Cars do.

I'm thinking pit stops to swap batteries. :wink:

Nascar
In two hundred feet make a left turn...

They did a commercial with Kasey Kane and his GPS telling him "Left turn approaching. . . ." over and over.

Sometimes I wonder how they've ever managed through 'The Steeple Chases' at Watkins Glen, Somona, Road Atlanta, Gilles VIlleneuve, etc.

Dauntless said:
So I'm picturing the Formula E approach where they switch cars. They'd need 10, because with their boot in it the whole way the Tesla would make 50 miles. Or maybe less.
So allow fast charging. There are cells that will handle 50C charge rates now. And you can bet that if that's allowed, overnight there will be new chargers and chemistries that allow even faster charging.

Or allow partial battery swaps. Or full battery swaps. Less interesting, but still some opportunity for invention and development.

We race 24hr endurance races with Zero's, and the record pit-time to swap packs is 7seconds. I would assume nascar could get it down to half that or less.

Dauntless said:
So I'm picturing the Formula E approach where they switch cars. They'd need 10, because with their boot in it the whole way the Tesla would make 50 miles. Or maybe less. The current rule is what? You get maybe 5 minutes to work on the car and continue? So if they can get those batteries swapped in 5 minutes the driver can use the car again late in the race. Otherwise they'd just need another car.

I always thought NASCAR should have made the cars run on Moonshine. White Lightnin'. Bush Whiskey. Just like Indy Cars do.

^^ Hehe... "the record pit-time to swap packs is 7seconds"... Watt he said. :lol:

liveforphysics said:
We race 24hr endurance races with Zero's, and the record pit-time to swap packs is 7 seconds. I would assume nascar could get it down to half that or less.

Maybe if they were racing Zero's. Do you want to replace 10-12 of the same battery, or maybe one bigger? I don't want to think about the battery coming loose like a bad wheel change. I picture the "Battery Jack," I forget what you call my portable forklift thingee but like that. What fitting ensures it goes in place and stays in place? Start with battery swaps on a much smaller car and get the act down there.

Dauntless said:
liveforphysics said:
We race 24hr endurance races with Zero's, and the record pit-time to swap packs is 7 seconds. I would assume nascar could get it down to half that or less.

Maybe if they were racing Zero's. Do you want to replace 10-12 of the same battery, or maybe one bigger? I don't want to think about the battery coming loose like a bad wheel change. I picture the "Battery Jack," I forget what you call my portable forklift thingee but like that. What fitting ensures it goes in place and stays in place? Start with battery swaps on a much smaller car and get the act down there.

For mass distribution reasons, the pack will likely be the flat belly pan on the bottom of the car, and would seem probable the car drives onto some cradle mechanism to lift the car as the discharged pack is mechanically released, and a fresh pack slid in under the car, indexing off the cradle for alignment and the car to be dropped pack down onto it and be mechanically locked into place. The electrically connection would be blind-mate friendly like an FX so if the pack is mis-aligned by a bit it ramps into alignment and mates.

I bet it's possible to get pack swapping below 4 seconds without needing anything exotic or expensive in the pits.

I have always been interested in the SCORE International Baja races in Mexico, very affordable to enter those races, unlike the Dakar races. Both should have electric classes for entree's. Have pit stops where you swap the batteries.

Dauntless said:

with current tech i believe they would be able to build a car that can do 200 km. these nascars are a lot more expensive than a tesla. yeah it would be a bit heavier and they would have to change some regulations to allow a car of that weight but i know its possible. also if you havent noticed all the big advancements in car tech has been found by race car designers, abs was invented for racing, the automatic transmission was designed for endurance races and even power steering. turbo tech was heavily influenced, tires, and a few other things. they will for sure find a way to make it work no matter what. im thinking they are going to be running on board genorators ie gas turbine hho or something, maybe they are inventing a high capacity capacitor right now that can charge the car in less than 1 second. all this being said i think nascar being electric is kinda going to ruin the sport. it used to be about mechanics and tuning, after the change it will be all about the driver. my old boss was a nascar driver and i used to talk to him about this all the time. he says you have two kinds of drivers, losers and cheaters. its hard to cheat with an electric motor, every car is going to weight the same, same power band, all you can change is the weight bias and alighnment.

Well, do away with cheating and there'll be losers and winners, as intended. So I've read that the first race Bill France Sr. staged prior to NASCAR he had this tech inspection planned after the race. The winner suddenly veered off the track and drove down the beach there in Daytona, out of sight. Hours later, he came back to hand the car over for tech inspection and collect the winnin's. France told him he wasn't getting any winnin's because he ran off with his cheater before the tech inspection and the money goes to the 2nd place car that stuck around. Then he was reminded that HE was the 2nd place car and that won't look good as he's trying to promote future races. The 3rd place guy got it.

For me I'd like to see something new, but I don't want the old to go away. So NASCAR could have the Grand Am unit put on an electric series. . . .

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/motorsports/exclusive-majority-owners-explore-sale-of-nascar/ar-AAwU66a?ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz

watts even better than NASCAR , flying Nascar!:) ..

Airspeeder series to debut 120-mph, head-to-head, manned multicopter racing in 2020 :

airspeeder-manned-multicopter-drone-racing-3.jpg

"with A grid full of 10 giant coaxial octocopters, each with a pilot on board, racing each other head-to-head through the air at speeds up to 200 km/h (120 mph)? That's exactly what the Airspeeder racing series is set to introduce in 2020 with the aim of being a kind of Formula One for flying cars..

The final race vehicles will be a touch over 4 m (13 ft) in length and nearly 3.5 m (11.5 ft) wide, and be covered in lightweight aerodynamic bodywork reminiscent of old-school F1 cars from the 50s and 60s. They will carry humungous LiPo batteries capable of 500-kilowatt power discharge rates, and weigh somewhere around 230 kg (~500 lb) without the pilot on board. Quadcopter and coaxial octocopter versions will be available..."

[youtube]yh1bW548N_0[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/yh1bW548N_0

https://newatlas.com/airspeeder-manned-multicopter-drone-racing/60385/

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
the flying car, Airspeeder version should be much more dynamic and exciting to watch , still plenty of adverts though I'm sure..
?? Have you ever been to an air race ?....its not a spectator sport ! And very dangerous...usually fatal !
I dont imagine they would be allowed to fly close to spectators..so advertising would be limited/non effective.
Why would you want pilots in them anyway ?

Hillhater said:
the flying car, Airspeeder version should be much more dynamic and exciting to watch , still plenty of adverts though I'm sure..
?? Have you ever been to an air race ?....its not a spectator sport ! And very dangerous...usually fatal !
I dont imagine they would be allowed to fly close to spectators..so advertising would be limited/non effective.
Why would you want pilots in them anyway ?

the airspeeder is a relatively small, manned electric flying vehicle.. therefore I doubt range or altitude will be much compared to an air show with petrol planes.. more like a drone race except with manned, piloted craft.. cameras mounted in and on the vehicles and race course could project the racing action on large cinema type screens for spectator viewing.. many drones now have available anti crash technologies that could make the sport safer than without these systems.. piloted drone racing is coming.. imo, its not IF but When.. yes I have been to an airshow in person and seen them on videos as well (example red bull), there were lots of spectators..

I am sure we could have a racing series with electric vehicles but call me old fashioned - I like big V-8's with open headers!

Airspeeder series to debut 120-mph, head-to-head, manned multicopter racing in 2020 :
Pylon racing exists - and fixed wing aircraft are a lot more efficient, safer and faster to boot.

If they want to have a cool electric event, do a pylon race with electric aircraft.

Back