Man Gets Hit and Run Over at Vigil for Cyclist who was hit an Run and Killed

e-beach

10 MW
Any Los Angeles area beach I am at. Or Santa Monic
The vid is showing the licence plate, and deliberate hit. Here this would be considered attempted murder with a weapon. In USA, I believe the driver is not going to avoid jail time, and serious financial problems.

How did I know this happened in California just from the title :(

Cecil and I were riding our motorcycle down to San Diego 2 years ago when a pickup truck for no reason swatted at us as we passed him. I looked over to see what happened (because we didn't do anything) and he swatted at us again (half way into our lane). I was able to get away (thank heaven for adhd) and I then called the police and reported it. They asked if I was in danger at the moment, I said no, and they did not even want his license plate or anything. Next time I will report it as a drunk driver.

We are so looking forward to moving out of this country...

Thank goodness we don't get that kind of aggressive behavior from cagers down here. There's enough idiots to avoid already, but for the most part they just line up waiting in traffic with plenty of space between for those of us on 2 wheels to safely get around efficiently time-wise. I love passing by the hundreds on every commute. Of course I love slaughtering motorcycles leaving red lights even more. :mrgreen:

Yep, here too. They are not going to hit you in anger, but they are dangerous idiots nevertheless. And, they are many. Best is to see all of them as a dangerous moving obstacle.

It's not just anger that is the problem in California, it is a complete disrespect for riders. A young guy here was riding his motorcycle up over Ortega, but what he did not know is another motorcycle rider had recently died there and the traffic was stopped. He made a mistake and he outran his sight distance and then he slid under a truck that was stopped and he was killed. The driver of the truck got out of his vehicle, dragged his dead body out from under the truck, and then he drove away.

A lot of people here think they are better than everyone else, and especially over the people that ride bikes or motorcycles. They look at us like we haven't evolved or something. There is a lot of bad karma here...

John in CR said:
Thank goodness we don't get that kind of aggressive behavior from cagers down here. There's enough idiots to avoid already,

Yeah, no kidding.

http://www.ticotimes.net/2016/12/16/costa-rica-ranks-one-worlds-dangerous-countries-drivers

Chalo said:
John in CR said:
Thank goodness we don't get that kind of aggressive behavior from cagers down here. There's enough idiots to avoid already,

Yeah, no kidding.

http://www.ticotimes.net/2016/12/16/costa-rica-ranks-one-worlds-dangerous-countries-drivers

High driver fatalities and bad road conditions. 2 factors that are ideal to make drivers more careful of riders.

It is when drivers are feeling isolated and safe, that they are the most dangerous to riders and pedestrians.

MadRhino said:
Chalo said:

High driver fatalities and bad road conditions. 2 factors that are ideal to make drivers more careful of riders.

It is when drivers are feeling isolated and safe, that they are the most dangerous to riders and pedestrians.

That's true.

A third factor that probably makes CR relatively safer for cyclists is the fact that there are a lot more cyclists and peds in the roadway than there are in North America. Drivers look out for things they are accustomed to seeing.

Chalo said:
John in CR said:

Yeah, no kidding.

Nice try again Chalo. The stats creating the rankings are skewed here in large part due to dangerous conditions on a number of mountain roads during rainy times where a mudslide without warning washes vehicles off the other side down hundreds or thousands of feet. My wife's doctor was stuck on the road for 6 hours one night when that happened to a truck in front of her and another slide took out cars 3 cars behind her, and a similar incident happened stranded one of my employees for hours several years ago. It could also be that old stats were used back when the fine for DUI was about $25 and drunk driving was far higher. None of that has anything to do with aggressive behavior of unhappy people toward those on 2 wheels. Probably my biggest risk on the road comes from motorcyclists who are a far higher percentage than stateside, and who all too often ride more aggressively than common sense allows in many conditions. Combine the silence of my ride with a vehicle that looks like it would have scooter type low performance and I really watch out around those "Honderos". I do love embarrassing them on a daily basis with a dose of why electrics are so much better than their smoke belchers...plus it allows me to put hundreds of meters of safe distance in front of them. You should see the front+rear videos that I have of every ride to appreciate how safe I am mixing with traffic while I use acceleration to create wide open space to stay as close to 100% safe and sound as possible, while getting from A to B in the shortest time possible without exceeding speed limits any more than the normal flow of traffic.

How many cagers (possibly texting or talking on the phone or are otherwise distracted) do your rely on every ride not to smack you as they pass you on the road? That doesn't even include the ragers acting aggressively just because they think you don't have equal right on the road. My number approaches zero, and due to the kinetic energy involved it means the ball is in my court to ride mistake free, so I put my 4+ decades of road experience and understanding of how vehicles move to avoid the driving mistakes of others. I've been avoiding the mistakes of idiots with licenses for 42 years, and put that knowledge and experience to good use in positioning my exposed vehicles on the road in a way they couldn't hit me if they tried.

How anyone riding slow and to the side thinks they're safe on the road is not much different from the little old lady behind the wheel who thinks she's a safe driver while driving 20mph under the speed limit.

Yeah! Motorcyclists are the ones that we need to convince first. Riders already, they will soon give up their dirty habits of noise and smoke, when they see the advantages that we benefit.

Before we got our bike I always told the bike riders they were a lot braver than me, having to ride slower than the flow of traffic is akin to becoming a speed bump here in CA. It is difficult to make the switch from motorcycle to bike. Our Fz-09 would go from a stop to 60mph in under 3 seconds. Every red light takeoff was an instant 200' buffer zone.

My strategy is avoid mixing with motor vehicle traffic whenever possible and especially bike lanes on busy streets and boulevards where distracted drivers have a good shot at taking me out. I stick to back streets, alleys and dedicated bike paths as a rule and venture into the jungle of paved madness the least amount possible.

John and Cecil said:
Before we got our bike I always told the bike riders they were a lot braver than me, having to ride slower than the flow of traffic is akin to becoming a speed bump here in CA. It is difficult to make the switch from motorcycle to bike. Our Fz-09 would go from a stop to 60mph in under 3 seconds. Every red light takeoff was an instant 200' buffer zone.

It is easy today, to build ebikes that are able to accelerate cars in the city. We have big motors and powerful batteries readily available, and so many build logs on ES to build fast ebikes that are reliable and safe to ride.

You wouldn't believe the number of times I've had people pull out in front of me, causing me to brake sharply. Driving my 54,000 lb. crane! With the lights on during the day! I almost expect it with the bikes, so it's no suprise and I can avoid a problem.

CR sounds similar to the road conditions in Columbia, where I spent 3 months once on a hang gliding safari. The bus drivers would pass another bus, on a blind curve, both packed with people, scariest stuff you've even seen. Worse, was frequent evidence of earlier carnage, down hundreds of feet in a gully or ravine. We started off riding in the front of the bus, but the view was too unsettling, then the back, but it was too rough (old school type buses) that far behind the axle, finally we figured out mid way was the best.

You wouldn't believe the number of times I've had people pull out in front of me, causing me to brake sharply. Driving my 54,000 lb. crane! With the lights on during the day! I almost expect it with the bikes, so it's no suprise and I can avoid a problem.

CR sounds similar to the road conditions in Columbia, where I spent 3 months once on a hang gliding safari. The bus drivers would pass another bus, on a blind curve, both packed with people, scariest stuff you've even seen. Worse, was frequent evidence of earlier carnage, down hundreds of feet in a gully or ravine. We started off riding in the front of the bus, but the view was too unsettling, then the back, but it was too rough (old school type buses) that far behind the axle, finally we figured out mid way was the best.

MadRhino said:
It is easy today, to build ebikes that are able to accelerate cars in the city. We have big motors and powerful batteries readily available, and so many build logs on ES to build fast ebikes that are reliable and safe to ride.

I think we may have a problem with something like that in Europe. I figure I can get away with 750w because the dog's weight and mid fat tires will make it act more like 350w. Otherwise I would have bought the BBSHD. But I am going to look into an electric powered motorcycle when we get there, or maybe a gas or diesel powered bike that gets 80+ mpg. I am done with cars. i was looking into the 84mpg elio but that will probably never exist. I like the lightweight 3 wheeler (2 wheels in front) concept with a hardtop option for rain protection, and seats 2 front to rear. Perhaps an electric version with an extra tow able battery pack for trips

Maybe after we get settled in I can figure out how to build a powerful bike and get it street legal, but I hear Italy is absurd with their bureaucracy and it is going to take me years to pick up the language. The full suspension bike is ok though but I need to install a decent motorcycle mirror so I can watch the traffic coming from behind. I have climbed curbs more than once on a motorcycle to avoid death.

markz said:
Cecil - Report as a drunk driver with a gun!

I like that! The sad thing is maybe he killed someone else, perhaps even the person mentioned above. I reported him to try to save someone's life. Had I been a new motorcycle rider I would probably be dead. He was very troubled (I suspect he was here and was rejected for a job as he had out of state plates) and when a happy man and his dog on a mc crossed his path he wanted us to be dead. I think we reminded him of how sad he was...

MadRhino said:
John and Cecil said:
Our Fz-09 would go from a stop to 60mph in under 3 seconds. Every red light takeoff was an instant 200' buffer zone.

It is easy today, to build ebikes that are able to accelerate cars in the city.
Yes, even heavy duty (and heavy) cargo bikes/trikes that can do it--SB Cruiser is just over 3 seconds from zero to max speed allowed (20MPH) now, even though it plus me is very heavy. Its a little slower to accelerate with a load, though.

If I were allowed faster than 20MPH then I could be a bit safer in some traffic situations (though many situations are safer at the slower speeds due to braking distances), but even just with the acceleration available Im still much safer at the traffic lights where I get stuck at or near the front of the line.

I expect the lighter CrazyBike2 would be closer to 2 seconds 0-20mph with the same setup, but last time it was functional I think it was just under 4.

I really dislike the speed limits imposed on ebikes. The safest thing is to ride with the flow of traffic, and when you ride slower than the flow you put your life in the hands of others. Some may be distracted, on the phone, drunk, putting on nail polish, etc. Every time a vehicle must pass puts you at risk.

Hitting a vehicle in front of you is not the same as being hit. You are more likely to walk away from hitting the car in front of you then getting T-boned or being hit from behind. When I ride my motorcycle in heavy traffic and there is no buffer zone I use cars as blockers, because my vehicle is only a fraction of the weight and mass of their vehicle.

Riding a power assisted bike is a whole new animal. Many people say they are not brave enough to ride a motorcycle, but bicycle riders on the streets are 10 times braver than motorcycle riders. The slower you ride the braver you are...

The poor guy...... :(
Bicyclist killed in crash after getting doored in Burbank
April 17, 2018
https://bikinginla.com/2018/04/17/bicyclist-killed-in-crash-after-getting-doored-in-burbank/

Sadly, last night’s breaking news has been confirmed.

As we noted earlier, KNBC-4 reported last night that a bike rider had been killed after getting doored at Alameda Avenue and Mariposa Street in Burbank.

Unfortunately, however, they failed to post the story online.

Now the Burbank Leader has confirmed that 53-year old Burbank resident Lenny Trinh died after the driver of a parked car opened door as Trinh rode in a bike lane on Alameda, knocking him off his bike and into the path of an oncoming pickup.

Trinh was taken to a nearby hospital where he died of his injuries.

The paper places the time of the crash at around 5 pm Monday, between Mariposa Street and Griffith Park Drive.

For a change, both drivers remained at the scene.

According to California law, the driver is always at fault in a dooring, as long as the victim is riding legally in the direction of traffic.

CVC 22517 clearly requires drivers to check for traffic before opening a car door and ensure that it does not interfere with traffic.

And yes, bike riders are considered traffic, in or out of a bike lane.

While dooring is one of the most common types of bicycle crashes, deaths are rare, averaging less than one per year in the entire SoCal region.

And they can be eliminated entirely if drivers are trained to use the Dutch Reach, opening the car door with their right hand so it forces them to look left over their shoulder.

This is at least the 18th bicycling fatality in Southern California this year, and the 10th in LA County; it’s also the fifth bicycling fatality in the LA area in just the past two weeks.

My deepest sympathy and prayers for Lenny Trinh and all his family and loved ones.

:(

I though all the motorcycle deaths in this area were sad, I guess even those are less frequent than all these bicycle deaths :( Hopefully someday their deaths will bring about change :(

Looks like they got both the perps.....
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-la-arrest-bicyclist-death-southla-20180607-story.html
Snip........
Investigators said that information provided by the public helped lead to Banks’ arrest.
Following the fatal accident, investigators canvassed the area and obtained video footage from a local business. Still images from that surveillance video were broadcast to the public. “Tipsters provide a lot of information,” said LAPD Det. Ryan Moreno, the lead investigator. “We were able to locate the suspect because of it.” The tips led investigators to a home in Moreno Valley where they served a search warrant and located the vehicle, but not the driver, he said. “They tried to disguise the vehicle,” Moreno said. “They had painted the Porsche black. It was a real cheap paint job, like they had used a brush or spray painted it.” Hours after the search warrant, Moreno said they got a call from Banks who wanted to turn herself in. Moreno said that while interviewing Banks, who was accompanied by a lawyer, she confessed to being the driver and to hitting Frazier.

“She said she panicked and got scared,” Moreno said. Moreno said additional arrests may be made in the case as they continue to investigate who may have helped to cover up the crime.

Frazier’s mother thanked police for their work. She said she hopes everyone involved will be held accountable for what happened.
She said she has also forgiven the driver.

“I have compassion for the lady,” Owens said “I can’t imagine what it’s like for her, I can’t imagine what it feels like living with this.
“There’s no good ending to it,” she added.

Also on Thursday, police announced the arrest of 19-year-old Alana Ealy of Los Angeles. Police say Ealy used a vehicle to run over a bicyclist during a vigil held for Frazier the day after his death.

Police said Ealy was booked on suspicion of attempted murder on May 30.

Back