New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

John and Cecil said:
Maybe it does support a throttle, a seller on aliexpress has an entire package including motor and throttle and vlcd6 (but no brake handles)...

Yes, even when 'hard wiring' a throttle with the xh18 display, the brake signal actually interferes with the motor/display functions... so thats a thing... beware also, the 'hard, or forced' wiring of a throttle from an 8 pin controller, to a 6 pin display can cause your controller to burn up... as I mentioned above

Minivelorider said:
asterduc said:
John and Cecil said:
Maybe there are different stock chainrings.

I didn't yet realize, but my bikes have 1/8" chain.
The TSDZ2 chainring is most probably designed for 3/32" chain.

I just checked and yes, the TSDZ2 front 42T is definitely for 3/32”. I tried it with a short length of 3/32” first:

40A600DA-EE89-409C-8998-6E6A75FB3385.jpeg

Given that the TSDZ2 has a 50.2mm chainline, and my rear sprocket on my Sturmey Archer X-RF8(W) hub is about 43mm, I’m wondering if a 6-7-8 speed 3/32” chain is actually more “flexible” sideways than an 1/8” chain. (I read somewhere online that advances are being made on derailleur chains, and not on single-speed chains.)

So I switched my S-A rear sprocket from 1/8” to 3/32” (saved 10 grams!) and chain too (saved 46 grams!).
2488E4AB-83F0-4DDE-9B10-CDEB176226A3.jpeg

B3964984-ACDA-4592-9C16-C8C2ECDD78FD.jpeg

Summary: it seems to work fine, no perceptable difference.

Chain's aren't too expensive, but it sucks when you're out in the middle of nowhere and it breaks. I bought the strongest rated 3/32 chain I could find. These are for single speed BMW and Fixie track bikes, so they don't have the provisions for shifting on a derailleur, but that makes them stronger because the side plates are thicker. I use this since I also have an internally geared hub (Nuvinci N380) which has a max sprocket size of 3/32. http://kmcchain.us/chaintype/heavy-duty-series/

IIRC, at least originally, these kits had to be ordered with a throttle, and one coudlnt' be added afterward. If that's true of the new LCD version as well, then the ones offered with a throttle may be the only ones that support one.

Something to think about and check on.

gggplaya said:
I use this since I also have an internally geared hub (Nuvinci N380) which has a max sprocket size of 3/32.
If you file, grind, or machine the inner circumference of a thicker sprocket so it's no thicker than that, you could use any thickness you like, and thus any chain type. ;)

You could even modify a belt sprocket to fit it, though that might take more effort.

My wife is going to buy that TSDZ2 motor (version 48v 500w) and I have currently one extra battery 48v 14.5ah so can she use that 48v 14.5ah battery with that TSDZ2 motor? Or does she have to buy some other battery?

Mantsos said:
My wife is going to buy that TSDZ2 motor (version 48v 500w) and I have currently one extra battery 48v 14.5ah so can she use that 48v 14.5ah battery with that TSDZ2 motor? Or does she have to buy some other battery?

Should work just fine.

casainho said:
tomjasz said:
casainho said:
Sorry, don't know what you mean.
Are you saying they will sell the BB part and no need for the rest?
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/689-b-b-torque-sensor-system-ebike-kit.html
See here one e-mail that I sent and the answer:

Safari won’t open...

amberwolf said:
IIRC, at least originally, these kits had to be ordered with a throttle, and one coudlnt' be added afterward. If that's true of the new LCD version as well, then the ones offered with a throttle may be the only ones that support one.

When i ordered mine it was sent without throttle or brake cut off features. I had to order another controller. That one came with only brake cut offs, the third came with brake cut offs and a throttle connection. A couple of dealers suggeste the first version i recieved was the most reliable. Growing pains I guess. Seems that eyebicycle (sp?) is the most reliable source, over factory direct.

Does anyone know if the 48v motor can run on a 12s battery configuration? Someone mentioned lowes sells inexpensive 6s tool batteries that can be brought on a plane, I would like to wire two together to make a 12s battery. I am not sure if the low power cutoff for the motor will kick in too early though.

tomjasz said:
amberwolf said:

When i ordered mine it was sent without throttle or brake cut off features. I had to order another controller. That one came with only brake cut offs, the third came with brake cut offs and a throttle connection. A couple of dealers suggeste the first version i recieved was the most reliable. Growing pains I guess. Seems that eyebicycle (sp?) is the most reliable source, over factory direct.

Thanks, yeah I did considerable testing and experimenting with these, after experiencing the same types of issues when I first started playing with these...

Soon I'll have a little article drafted outlining some of the important info for the TSDZ2... Including wiring/pinout for the 8 pin.

John and Cecil said:
Does anyone know if the 48v motor can run on a 12s battery configuration? Someone mentioned lowes sells inexpensive 6s tool batteries that can be brought on a plane, I would like to wire two together to make a 12s battery. I am not sure if the low power cutoff for the motor will kick in too early though.

LVC for the 48v systems is set at 39v, so this will work with a 12s, but you won't completely drain the 12s, which isn't the worst thing, especially if you have a bunch enough battery to achieve desired range before the LVC

eyebyesickle said:
LVC for the 48v systems is set at 39v, so this will work with a 12s, but you won't completely drain the 12s, which isn't the worst thing, especially if you have a bunch enough battery to achieve desired range before the LVC
I guess a 44v 12s battery normally drains to about 36v? I know my 52v gets down to about 44v before it loses most of it's power.

I cannot win! I can't use the top 3v of the 52v battery and I cant use the bottom 3v of the 44v battery. But at least the 2 6s batteries can go on the plane, it will be nice to be able to sit outside the airport and assemble the bike and actually have power to ride away :) Thank you.

I wonder if the programming software will be able to change the 39v to a lower number...

John and Cecil said:
eyebyesickle said:
I guess a 44v 12s battery normally drains to about 36v? I know my 52v gets down to about 44v before it loses most of it's power.

I cannot win! I can't use the top 3v of the 52v battery and I cant use the bottom 3v of the 44v battery. But at least the 2 6s batteries can go on the plane, it will be nice to be able to sit outside the airport and assemble the bike and actually have power to ride away :) Thank you.

I wonder if the programming software will be able to change the 39v to a lower number...
We know the controller is the same for 36V up to 52V battery -- we just can't configure the original firmware for our custom voltages, only the factory can do it because they own amd have the original firmware. This will change soon, as I should receive my motor and I will develop from scratch our Flexible OpenSource firmware and then anyone will be able to select any custom voltage that the hardware supports. If I get help from community, I will develop it even faster, I will need users to test the different voltages, etc.

yep would love to run 11s on my 36v !!!

casainho said:
If I get help from community, I will develop it even faster, I will need users to test the different voltages, etc.

Just let us know what you need. Thanks for your efforts btw!

We are working on the TS bugs here also. I feel it is well worth the effort to fine tune a torque sensing mid drive that is adaptable and relatively inexpensive. The ability to program the controller is all that is really missing. Other than an octalink type bb spindle and an offset chainring.

I feel as time goes on the industry push towards integrated batteries and motors requiring special frames will keep becoming more popular. But if one is keen on keeping up with technology advances as they occur an open source kit type system is the way to go. But I am not telling you guys anything you don't know.

AWD said:
casainho said:
If I get help from community, I will develop it even faster, I will need users to test the different voltages, etc.

Just let us know what you need. Thanks for your efforts btw!
For now I need high resolution pictures of inside of the motor controler.

Tomorrow I can take photos from a 48V controller, I 'm struggling to open the unit because I ruined the four screws head that hold the case.

wheex said:
Tomorrow I can take photos from a 48V controller, I 'm struggling to open the unit because I ruined the four screws head that hold the case.
Thanks!!! Please try to take them in a way that we can see the reference of the 2 big ICs, one shoild be the microcontroller STM8S105xx and the other should be the driver for the power mosfets (no one knows yet which IC is this one).

jbalat said:
yep would love to run 11s on my 36v !!!

Do you need a firmware update for that? I can run 11s on my 36v. I've tried it and it works: slightly more power at a slightly higher cadence. Once my current 10s battery dies, I'll be replacing it with an 11s.

AWD said:
I feel as time goes on the industry push towards integrated batteries and motors requiring special frames will keep becoming more popular. But if one is keen on keeping up with technology advances as they occur an open source kit type system is the way to go. But I am not telling you guys anything you don't know.
Yeah!! We also need DIY options and also "cheap"/accessible. And we need to cooperate and help ourselves, since this "cheap"/accessible DIY kits business model is different -- we can't expect to pay cheap for the parts and have a good support from the seller, good documentation, a lot of marketing material like selling videos, etc.

Yeah I agree, we definitely need diy options. Most manufactured e-bikes are ridiculously overpriced (gouging) or they are made with crap components. Before I built my Raleigh kodiak bike I considered Raleigh's electric kodiak model. It is priced at 4k and it has a nice bosch mid drive but it is only a 250w motor. Mine was $1000 so far but with only a 2ah battery and a 750w motor. Their electric bike has better components and a larger battery, however I seriously doubt it costs them over $1500-2000 to manufacture one so it has a $2000-2500 markup fee.

There is too much junk in the world, and it all ends up going into landfills. We need to reuse what we already have, and we need to repair rather than replace. That is what I like about this motor (and the Bafang mid drives), the parts are replaceable and it is simple to work on so it will hopefully last a long time.

John and Cecil said:
There is too much junk in the world, and it all ends up going into landfills. We need to reuse what we already have, and we need to repair rather than replace. That is what I like about this motor (and the Bafang mid drives), the parts are replaceable and it is simple to work on so it will hopefully last a long time.
That is also my motivation!! And with our own firmware, we will need to go further, to reuse a battery pack we already have but have 1 or 2 more cells comparing to the standard 36v battery, etc. Add a throttle to a controller model that doesn't support it, etc.

casainho said:
That is also my motivation!! And with our own firmware, we will need to go further, to reuse a battery pack we already have but have 1 or 2 more cells comparing to the standard 36v battery, etc. Add a throttle to a controller model that doesn't support it, etc.

I agree, I really wanted this motor but because of the firmware I almost went with the BBS02 because of the programming function. Being able to adjust firmware settings is almost a necessity. :)

Here, I dug up some older pics I had of the controllers... I can label the wires if you need, but I think more than that you will probably need better pics :oops: haha. Let me know I have some controllers sitting around I can snap some better pics if able... Maybe circle the areas you really need clearer, and I will focus on those specific components etc... Just let me know!

8 pin controller:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eXOhoU4mxCXuGFfyX6vlFEbf8k-T4cRS

6 pin controller:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LAtOLgSldprsJw4cwVT3aVGi4RCXARKJ

Back