Motorcycle-Brakes on eBike?

DasDouble

100 kW
Has somone already tried to put some motorcycle brakes on his bike? The brake pads of my Tektro Dorado brake always go down like butter and I would love to use it more often without having to replace it so many times. :roll:

PS: Regen is not an option, I would like to lock it up easy to for some drift-fun

DasDouble said:
Has somone already tried to put some motorcycle brakes on his bike? The brake pads of my Tektro Dorado brake always go down like butter and I would love to use it more often without having to replace it so many times. :roll:

PS: Regen is not an option, I would like to lock it up easy to for some drift-fun

what diameter rotors are you currently using?? you should use hydraulic four piston calipers with 9" or 10" rotors before trying to fit motorcycle brakes.. also ~70% of braking power comes from the front brake, so make sure that you are using mainly the front brake to take advantage of that.. also motorcycle brakes rely on the weight of the vehicle and adequate brake heat to function properly, so unless you choose brakes from a motorcycle comparable in weight and speed to your ebike they won't provide any more braking power and possibly less.. tektro is a "bargain brand" try some high quality downhill mtn bike brakes instead such as magura or hope, etc..

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
what diameter rotors are you currently using?? you should use hydraulic four piston calipers with 9" or 10" rotors before trying to fit motorcycle brakes.. also ~70% of braking power comes from the front brake, so make sure that you are using mainly the front brake to take advantage of that.. also motorcycle brakes rely on the weight of the vehicle and adequate brake heat to function properly, so unless you choose brakes from a motorcycle comparable in weight and speed to your ebike they won't provide any more braking power and possibly less.. tektro is a "bargain brand" try some high quality downhill mtn bike brakes instead such as magura or hope, etc..

Im using 203mm diameter rotors (wave). Braking in normal conditions is not my problem. I just want to be able to lock the rear wheel like all 10 seconds from 50kph to have some fun on drifting around in the forest. I mean a poketbikebrake could do this job, talking about heat production.. right?

DasDouble said:

Im using 203mm diameter rotors (wave). Braking in normal conditions is not my problem. I just want to be able to lock the rear wheel like all 10 seconds from 50kph to have some fun on drifting around in the forest. I mean a poketbikebrake could do this job, talking about heat production.. right?

pitbike brakes are normally cheap junk, so that will not be an improvement.. get some 9" or 10" rotors for your current brakes first, if that's not enough for what you want then upgrade the calipers and levers as well.. example Hayes 4 piston hydraulic brakes with 9" rotors $99 / wheel :
https://www.motocruzin.com/product/hayes-stroker-ace-brakes

Locking the rear wheel is not hard on brakes. I don’t see any advantage to motorcycle brakes for that matter.

Stopping a 150lbs bike from 100 mph, you would need motorcycle brakes on the front, but still could go on with bicycle brakes on the rear.

markz said:
I have never seen really large rotors on bicycles, just 208's.

208 is a very unusual size. 203 is common, I use 225.

I should have added to my previous post:

If you wear pads quickly locking the rear, it has to be because they drag and rub when you are not braking, or you have the habit to hold them dragging. Locking the rear wheel does not wear pads, nor make heat.

Another thing to add: Drifting is not commonly achieved by locking the rear. It is normally by power spinning the rear, that we drift.

MadRhino said:
markz said:

I see one 225 available at Chain Reaction, then two 205 and the usual 203 with twenty and three 200's. I am going with 203's I purchased from them up front with their adapter.

markz said:
I have never seen really large rotors on bicycles..

New 223mm Galfer Wave brake discs..

https://www.emtb-mag.com/nuovi-dischi-freno-galfer-wave-da-223mm/

Thats nice, are their any available at a reasonable cost and not $50+ each rotor.

2 piece adapter from what I can tell for the Hope 225's
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/hope-post-to-boxxer-disc-brake-adaptor/rp-prod13730
+
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/hope-is-to-is-disc-brake-adaptor/rp-prod13736

markz said:
MadRhino said:
markz said:

I see one 225 available at Chain Reaction, then two 205 and the usual 203 with twenty and three 200's. I am going with 203's I purchased from them up front with their adapter.
203 is the common replacement for the older American 8 inch standard. 205 is also a replacement for 8 in. 200mm is a new metric standard for EU, that was 190mm for a long time, yet the most common EU standard is 160mm. 225mm is proprietary to Hope, 9 inch had been made by Hayes but I am not sure that they are still available. 10 inch is offered as a custom aftermarket parts by some, but not standard for any brake manufacturer.

Here is a huge one, chain stays better not rub.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00KN3BVVQ/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Gotta $tep up for that kind of braking power $$$$$$$
https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Disc-Brake-Rotor-255mm/dp/B019FVCTU8/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1523748528&sr=1-4&keywords=10%22+rotor+bicycle

MadRhino said:
markz said:
MadRhino said:
markz said:

203 is the common replacement for the older American 8 inch standard. 205 is also a replacement for 8 in. 200mm is a new metric standard for EU, that was 190mm for a long time, yet the most common EU standard is 160mm. 225mm is proprietary to Hope, 9 inch had been made by Hayes but I am not sure that they are still available. 10 inch is offered as a custom aftermarket parts by some, but not standard for any brake manufacturer.

Hayes with 9" rotors are still available and come stock on motopeds (https://www.motocruzin.com/product/hayes-stroker-ace-brakes)

I'm with you, but not for the drifting. I too would like bigger rotors and bigger pads. Eventually I think I would like dual front discs and calipers, but that is not an option for the rear. Funny but my concern was always how *not* to lock up my rear wheel when braking :)

John and Cecil said:
I'm with you, but not for the drifting. I too would like bigger rotors and bigger pads. Eventually I think I would like dual front discs and calipers, but that is not an option for the rear. Funny but my concern was always how *not* to lock up my rear wheel when braking :)

Yep, we are all concerned with having good enough modulation to control the rear brake, to avoid locking it.

Big brakes are a must on fast ebikes, but most of us are not heavy enough, fast enough, to really need motorcycle brakes. Big bicycle brakes are good, some are better than cheap motorcycle brakes, yet a fraction of the weight. I use 3 different on my bikes: Magura Gustav M, Magura MT 7, Hope M6 ti. The MT 7 is the one that has the best modulation but pads are expansive, the Gustav is easy and cheap to maintain but requires frequent cleaning. The Hope M6 can ride the most mileage before maintenance, very reliable but spare parts are expansive and long to deliver.

Hayes with 9" rotors are still available and come stock on motopeds (https://www.motocruzin.com/product/hayes-stroker-ace-brakes)
Thanks for the link. I have some that are worn out, and believed I would have to replace them with some others, because they are gone from my supplier’s catalog.

MadRhino said:
Yep, we are all concerned with having good enough modulation to control the rear brake, to avoid locking it.

I tried everything on the motorcycle. I even tried grinding down the pads and making them smaller. The best answer I found after much experimenting was a well adjusted foot pedal, very cheap organic ebay brake pads, and PURPOSELY putting a little bit of air in the rear brake line. The small amount of air acts as a cushion, especially in a crisis situation, but it takes some tweaking to get it just right. I never locked them up after that and I used my rear brakes all the time, carrying a dog on the back makes rear brakes function much better, and especially so for the first second or two. Pumping the rear brakes on hills to keep speeds down help keep your front brakes cool and fresh and ready for action.

I would really like dual discs up front, but maybe a heavy duty rotor and a better caliper would help too. My bike does not have anywhere near the stopping power of my motorcycle, especially when riding down a hill at 45 mph.

MadRhino said:
Thanks for the link. I have some that are worn out, and believed I would have to replace them with some others, because they are gone from my supplier’s catalog.

I recently ordered a new Hayes 9" front brake from motocruzin usa.. it came with Hayes prime sport lever, stroker ace 4 piston caliper,
224mm diameter 1.52mm thick rotor, hydraulic line installed and pre-bled, with long enough brake lines to fit on motoped (long wheelbase and dual crown fork)..

John and Cecil said:
MadRhino said:

I tried everything on the motorcycle. I even tried grinding down the pads and making them smaller...
It is larger pad surface, that is making better modulation. Better lever adjustment options are helpful too. Todays DH brake levers are very good, with reach and bite point settings. Some are available with different lever stiffness options, composite or alu. Some are pushing the piston with a cam instead of direct pressure, making them progressive, and the progression is adjustable by sliding the pivot point.

Bicycle components design is, in many cases, more sophisticated than motorcycles. That is because light weight and performance requirements are more sensitive matter.

I hate air in the line, because air volume does vary a lot with temperature, and air is an oxydation factor.

Well there is no way I would put air into a bicycle brake line. But the rear brakes on a motorcycle are a different animal entirely, and a little sponginess on a brake that is only doing 25% of the work anyway is much better than locking up the rear tire and then not only trying to stop and maneuver to avoid an accident but also steer the back end independently like a fire truck :)

The forks on bikes are weaker too which also does not help, and the tires are narrow. I agree I would like larger brake pads along with a more robust brake rotor and larger caliper. I would rather have it weigh triple as much and work twice as well. My bike is like 90 lbs with a battery and dog, a couple of lbs won't make much of a difference to me :)

I really miss my mc brakes, and my mc CLUTCH :(

DasDouble said:
Has somone already tried to put some motorcycle brakes on his bike?

couple of existing threads that might have useful info (besides this one)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=motorcycle+brake*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

theres also been at least two people that built adapters to use mc disc brakes on their front bicycle fork and hub, but i couldnt find them ina 30-second search. prbably is under words like motorcycle brake adapter, or rotor adapter, or similar, though.

Luke has a very fast bike, and likely to be heavy too.

Anyway, rear brake is not very important. The shorter you brake, the less the rear does matter. Sometimes I brake with the rear off the ground.

My front does really good at 60 Mph, but my total riding weight is only 230 lbs. Still, I am not using heavy forks, mostly WC lightweight rig, but the very best bicycle brakes, always tuned perfect.

Wow, that is a lot of a reply I have caused there.. Haha thanks :D
Well Im confused. My friend Florian, who rides a old heavy duty Husqvarna on the track said he uses the same brake pads on his bike for already 2 years and didn´t have had to replace them. When I brake aggressively to have some drift-fun I always end up with having to replace them after 2-3 months which costs 15 bucks for new pads...

I would only like to switch to motorcycle brake(-pads) because of their durability.. :lol: :pancake:

Back