Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

3DTOPO said:
FYI: Luna has a ASI controller on one of their test bikes. They say because the ASI has field weakening it spins 20% faster so they made a 60t sprocket for it:

At 12:03:
https://youtu.be/Lw1mLYKVxaY?t=726

Thats a nice upgrade and field weakening makes a lot of sense.
Hopefully the battery and bms can keep up with the higher load. It looks like they left it stock.

Seems like field weakening would give a nice boost to the top speed without increasing the battery voltage. With a sine wave controller it might also be a bit quieter than stock.

BleepToBleep said:
Hey there, I just registered on this forum after searching for the perfect ebike. Found already a lot of good info, very helpful :)

Do you know if there's any side by side comparison of the LMX 161 and the Sur Ron Light Bee anywhere? I'm considering one of those bikes, preferably the LMX because it's lighter and bigger (I'm 1m87 tall) but it's so much more expensive that I really hesitate. The Sur Ron looks a lot smaller, and I'm not sure how it compares to the LMX in terms of acceleration (without doing any modification on the bike).

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=90392&start=75#p1359879

Anyone manage to get a title? It would be nice to be able to make it legal for off-highway use.

Gary from Luna Cycles said I had to contact the manufacturer to inquire about obtaining a Certificate of Origin. I sent Sur-Ron an email, will share their response. Seems like the cert should come in the box with it.

motomoto said:
So no $h!t, there I was, driving home from work today about 1640 aka 4:40PM on I80 east of a mustang ranch turn off east of Reno when I passed a truck, maybe a Dodge Ram, pulling a Travel/possible Toy Hauler trailer with 2 SUR-RON bikes in the truck bed. Hey Kim!? was this you?

Those were my bikes!! Some Chinese guy stole them!!

Ok. He didn't steal them, but those were my bikes. He is a friend from China that works for Sur-ron. He is a national champion
in China. He is on his way to Boise Id to race in the first AMA national supermoto race this year. My wife and I are driving there
tomorrow to watch the races. I will challenge Sun Tong to a Sur-ron wheelie contest at the races and get it on video.

Again this is too funny, I was born and raised in Boise and know it very well. Have fun there. BTW, if you want a great meal with great microbrew beer, go to Highland Hollow at the beginning of Bogus Basin Road, plus that may be real close to where you are racing if the SUMO races are at the Owyhee motor cycle club. Have fun, get some pics and let me know how it went.

I decided to do the 2 double jumps at the supermoto in Boise Id. Sun Tong would not do it and told me I should not do it. I drank
a gin and tonic a half hour earlier. The crowd made me do it. This one came up short but I hit the second one pretty well. I landed
hard after the second double and it flat spotted the steering head bearings temporarily causing the front end to want to stick straight.
The steering head bearings were probably loose from doing too many wheelies and should have been tightened up before hitting a big jump. I was going to do it again with more speed but didn't want to break the bike more. The sticking went away. My wheelies
were good today but no pictures.

[youtube]zK-wWFvMPps[/youtube]

Nice!!! You are a legend motomoto!!!

Sometime I would love to ride with you just to try to learn from your skills.

I would love to ride with you Luke. But it's not as glamorous as you might think. I ride boring and careful at 60 yrs old. Unless
I do something stupid like riding with liquid courage. I did nut up and hit the jumps even though everything was telling me not to.
My left ankle hurts, but it's a good kind of hurt.

Picture of Sun Tong racing supermoto on the same jump that I did.The second picture is Sun Tong on the second double that I jumped and consequently jacked up the head bearings on the Sur-ron.Sun Tong (2).jpgsecond double3.jpg

That's a big jump!! Amazing you made it so well!

motomoto said:
I would love to ride with you Luke. But it's not as glamorous as you might think. I ride boring and careful at 60 yrs old. Unless
I do something stupid like riding with liquid courage. I did nut up and hit the jump even though everything was telling me not to.
My left ankle hurts, but it's a good kind of hurt.

I resemble that remark :lol: Nice air time, came up a hair short and pulled it off just fine.

Lightning does strike twice.... I like johnrobholmes have unpacked my new sur ron only to find my battery completely dead. No screen display on the pack and on a volt meter it read 2 volts. the breaker was off when first unpacked which leads me to believe the pack is somehow faulted. I was able to get it charging after following the low voltage reset procedure with the charger. bike does work and i do love this thing. Just somewhat deflated knowing the pack is faulty. Being the weekend and all im not expecting an immediate response from Luna but i have called and opened a trouble ticket with them.

m3t said:
Dude no offense but the etricks bikes are ugly as hell though. Sur-Ron gets compliments everywhere I go, except from egotistical bike riders on trails who you'd think built the damn trails themselves.

Honestly, I'll admit a lot of me getting the Sur Ron was for the looks. It looks really good. Also one of the reason why I was kinda bugged it came with white RSTs, that do perform well but just look completely out of place.

no problem, i didnt have an etricks and yea on this pic it catches all ugly you need.
without 2nd battery and no pedals it isnt that bad "looking".
but you cant really compare. surron is the first with a frame like this. no one can beat that professional motobike look.
not even lmx.

but we didnt all live in a "jungle" where you can go out for a ride. so the legal part is needed. if you didnt care about that you could also ride any electrix full size motocross bike.

except of videos on youtube where a bunch of maximum pigmented guys riding with mx bikes crazy as frock through the city i never saw "stuff like that"....probably for a good reason :p

anyway, i dint know any offroad usable electric mopeds with mid-drive except of etricks and lmx.

pretty sure an etricks makes some fun also. but a lack of power and battery(range) cant beat sur ron...just legal.

for that price i would immediately buy a set of surrons if i could ride them legal. iam sure someone will do that. but iam happy at all that i jumped in for an early bird lmx (4333€)

jamilon01 said:
Lightning does strike twice.... I like johnrobholmes have unpacked my new sur ron only to find my battery completely dead. No screen display on the pack and on a volt meter it read 2 volts. the breaker was off when first unpacked which leads me to believe the pack is somehow faulted. I was able to get it charging after following the low voltage reset procedure with the charger. bike does work and i do love this thing. Just somewhat deflated knowing the pack is faulty. Being the weekend and all im not expecting an immediate response from Luna but i have called and opened a trouble ticket with them.

Thats a bummer to hear. I just had good range testing over the past week, as it was finally not ice and rain all the time :mrgreen: Although our one week of nice weather turned right back into icy rain and snow today :| Seems that the BMS is smart enough to not let the cells get so low as to be damaged, at least thats what I'm sticking with until I have time to throw a CA on the bike and test the real capacity. Trying to stay positive about the situation!

Although I haven't heard back from Gary about the fork, been 1.5 weeks. Eric the owner contacted me and confirmed that Gary would handle it, so I've had contact about it. Just gotta wait on the right man to get the fork trade going I guess.

Merlin said:
for that price i would immediately buy a set of surrons if i could ride them legal. iam sure someone will do that

In my state (Idaho), the only thing keeping a Sur-Ron for being legal for off-highway use (which is literally everywhere except freeways and highways) is getting a title for it.

To get a title, I just need a Certificate of Origin, but Luna surprisingly had no interest in helping me obtain one. They just told me to contact Sur-Ron to inquire with them (with what I sensed was some attitude - not really helpful or friendly).

Maybe first broken bone riding sur-ron on video to date, one rib has the familiar clicking of creptis on bone ends if I move around or laugh or cough. I got exactly what I deserved for pedal striking rock, and transitioning to an alternative style of riding featuring dominantly ribcage, forearm, and thigh based mechanical support and reduced surface speed. Life is good, and I could ride again today if I needed to, but so far it's seemed more pleasant just to lay on my back breathing as gently as possible. No muscle spasms or back or neck issues, so glad I was wearing good D30 armor and Kevlar fabric hoodie and jeans with a full face and neck protector. It was a great ride overall and enjoyed the riding including the crash and today after the crash. My last few rib issues were dislocations all with the same rib, so it's nice for variety to have enriching rib end sensations in a different spot. Bike itself wasn't effected and rode fine after still.

[youtube]TsUlEkxanRo[/youtube]

Ah crap man! Don't you hate those innocent looking silly crashes that bring you unstuck. Thumbs up for good protective gear, but as you've found it won't stop blunt force trauma! I had a good stack last year where I hit the ground so hard I got a black eye right through the padding in my full face helmet. Amazingly no other injuries so I guess breaking the fall with the side of my face was a good call. haha

Sorry to hear that, Luke. I’ve had a long struggle with rib dislocations too. I understand having a “new” rib sensation being nice for a change :lol:

Thank you for the kind words guys. It was overall a nice ride and bike did well and held up fine despite my blowing my one important job as a rider to make sure I didn't pedal strike. Less injury than my last pedal strike on a fixed gear road bike wearing no gear (and last time riding one, though I respect it's possible to do well if mastered.)

jamilon01 said:

If the breakers were off, and the packs charged and behaved normally afterwards, I'd suspect that some of the packs are just not being charged at the factory. 2% is pretty low, but if with the buffer factored in it's more like 10%, there might not be significant damage to them. Just speculating, of course...

New shipping rules states that batteries must be at 30% SOC when shipped out.
My guess is all new cells(coming from the factory) holds about 3.5V before the actual assembly of the pack.

So this is what they should be at a minimum upon delivery.

liveforphysics said:
Maybe first broken bone riding sur-ron on video to date, one rib has the familiar clicking of creptis on bone ends if I move around or laugh or cough. I got exactly what I deserved for pedal striking rock, and transitioning to an alternative style of riding featuring dominantly ribcage, forearm, and thigh based mechanical support and reduced surface speed. Life is good, and I could ride again today if I needed to, but so far it's seemed more pleasant just to lay on my back breathing as gently as possible. No muscle spasms or back or neck issues, so glad I was wearing good D30 armor and Kevlar fabric hoodie and jeans with a full face and neck protector. It was a great ride overall and enjoyed the riding including the crash and today after the crash. My last few rib issues were dislocations all with the same rib, so it's nice for variety to have enriching rib end sensations in a different spot. Bike itself wasn't effected and rode fine after still.

Ooohh shut.. I hope you get well soon lfp :? .. Good thing you weared some gear. I see way too many people riding with none but most of them only change their behaviour when its already too late. Might sound/look a bit overcared but, I always have equal gear on, while riding.. All the best lfp

Attachments

• WaterMark_2018-04-16-16-35-02.jpg
    WaterMark_2018-04-16-16-35-02.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 2,758
Thank you for the kind words guys. It was overall a nice ride and bike did well and held up fine despite my blowing my one important job as a rider to make sure I didn't pedal strike. Less injury than my last pedal strike on a fixed gear road bike wearing no gear (and last time riding one, though I respect it's possible to do well if mastered.)

You were riding with that stupid pedal kit? I rode around the Luna warehouse with it and thought it was the most lame thing ever.

The position you are in is ridiculous with them being so far back and to try to pedal it that way is absurd.

I've been thinking of making a super short stoke pedal setup for the bike that is still ridiculous to pedal but are strong
and meet the "it's got pedals" criteria.

motomoto said:
I've been thinking of making a super short stoke pedal setup for the bike that is still ridiculous to pedal but are strong
and meet the "it's got pedals" criteria.

I fully agree. With the gearing between front and rear, there is plenty of leverage to be able to pedal it in honesty with shorter cranks.

Pedals give mopeds more pedestrian rights in Missouri, but mopeds and scooters are classified the same for street use. no more than "30mph on flat ground", no more than 3hp. I've been considering how to implement a mode of throttle that would limit speed near 30mph on flat, but still let it rev out on downhills and not bog down going uphills. Seems that an inclinometer would be the magic component to meet the law's criteria on flat ground while letting it rev out like a gas engine going downhill.

Hey guys,

New to the forum and also e-bikes. Been reading this thread for a while and placed my pre-order through Luna. I'd been waiting for a while and then, with a healthy dose of vodka saturday night, I placed my order at 2am!

Pre-ordered a steel-gray with RST. They say on their website should ship out first half of May. Super excited.

Does anyone have thoughts on the must-do upgrades? (chain, tires, handlebars, lights, etc).

Back