My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Hi every friends.
We arrive in San Francisco today. Stay in HOTEL FOCUS SFO tonight, and forward to Monterey tomorrow.
My US phone number is (512) 661 4231

About delivery, in US, battery can come together with bike, to Europe, battery should be sent separately.

Hi every friends.
We arrive in San Francisco today. Stay in HOTEL FOCUS SFO tonight, and forward to Monterey tomorrow.

About delivery, in US, battery can come together with bike, to Europe, battery should be sent separately.

Some photos come after first day finished. Sunny and windy.
Good place to ride mountain bikes here. there are many hills around, good to hold this kind of event.
IMG_20180419_090505.jpg
IMG_20180419_090511.jpg
IMG_20180419_090514.jpg

IMG_20180419_103551.jpg
IMG_20180419_103839.jpg
IMG_20180419_103906.jpg
IMG_20180419_104146.jpg
IMG_20180419_104235.jpg

Some friends have a test riding there , come with good commends. : )
IMG_20180419_123635.jpg
IMG_20180419_150846.jpg
IMG_20180419_151045.jpg
IMG_20180419_151047.jpg

For you guys that own a Ultra 1000 can you use the throttle and PAS at the same time. I know their's a big discussion on electricbike.com that the new BBSHD controllers are not able to use throttle and PAS at the same time.

Teaker68 said:
For you guys that own a Ultra 1000 can you use the throttle and PAS at the same time. I know their's a big discussion on electricbike.com that the new BBSHD controllers are not able to use throttle and PAS at the same time.

I'm working on a way to fix the BBSHD problem. Should know in a week or so.

Hey Fechter,

Yes they do allow ebikes on Slickrock. My homemade one was the bomb and can't wait to go back with the AM1000!

I saw two Hai Bikes and I Turbo Levo on the Rock yesterday.

They are also allowed on Dead Horse Point state park and I was told Soverign but can vouch for that one as did not get time to go there as I had to get home and replace a leaky water heater.

DDD

fechter said:
Drop Dead Fred said:
Yea!!! Bike getting delivered by close of business Thursday!

Boo, will be in Moab until Saturday and really wanted to try it on the slickrock! :(

Next year I guess...

Do they allow ebikes on the slickrock bike trail? I actually used to live in Moab back around 1980 and rode motorcycles around everywhere.

Drop Dead Fred said:
Hey Fechter,

Yes they do allow ebikes on Slickrock. My homemade one was the bomb and can't wait to go back with the AM1000!

I saw two Hai Bikes and I Turbo Levo on the Rock yesterday.

They are also allowed on Dead Horse Point state park and I was told Soverign but can vouch for that one as did not get time to go there as I had to get home and replace a leaky water heater.

DDD

fechter said:
Drop Dead Fred said:
Yea!!! Bike getting delivered by close of business Thursday!

Boo, will be in Moab until Saturday and really wanted to try it on the slickrock! :(

Next year I guess...

Do they allow ebikes on the slickrock bike trail? I actually used to live in Moab back around 1980 and rode motorcycles around everywhere.

Also need to add if you want to ride Slickrock and Dead Horse your throttle needs removed to become a Class 1 bike.

Hello Frey Bikes,

I got my bike last week while in Moab riding and today was able to unbox it and give you some updates.

There were a few scratches that happened in shipping and I will post pictures of those tomorrow.

I did add a picture here to show you what I feel is a quality control feedback. In the picture I have threaded the rear axle I backwards and added a tube to show where the axle is square to the frame. I was adding the new wheels I had built and found the rear axle very difficult to remove. Once removed I discovered that the derailleur hanger was not square to the frame for insertion. Once I loosened the derailleur hanger I was able to thread the rear axle quickly and easily.

See attached picture.
Regards,
DDF

FREYebikes said:
Hi every friends.

Attachments

• RearAxle02.jpg
    RearAxle02.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 3,362
Hello!!

I´ve been riding the bike all weekend and I´m very happy.
I just found one problem, the distance from the motor to the ground.
I need a protector! It´s mandatory to put a protector.
And a smaller chainring for the harder singeltrails.

Hey Jebu,

I actually dropped to a 40 tooth ring and will be trying it this week. And totally agree that a 44 tooth is pretty big for singletrack.

That I'm aware of you can drop all the way down to a 34 tooth for the smallest.

Here is a link to one on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/p/SRAM-Force-22-X-glide-34t-Inner-Chainring-11-Speed-110mm-BCD-Black-Bike-Bicycle/2254312704?iid=331616552347

By the way, did you hit your motor on some rocks? If so any damage? Thinking a shield would be nice, maybe high impact plastic.

Regards,
Fred

Jebu said:
Hello!!

I´ve been riding the bike all weekend and I´m very happy.
I just found one problem, the distance from the motor to the ground.
I need a protector! It´s mandatory to put a protector.
And a smaller chainring for the harder singeltrails.

Drop Dead Fred said:
Hey Jebu,

I actually dropped to a 40 tooth ring and will be trying it this week. And totally agree that a 44 tooth is pretty big for singletrack.

Here is a link to one on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/p/SRAM-Force-22-X-glide-34t-Inner-Chainring-11-Speed-110mm-BCD-Black-Bike-Bicycle/2254312704?iid=331616552347

Is that chainring compatible with the bafang spider?

By the way, did you hit your motor on some rocks? If so any damage? Thinking a shield would be nice, maybe high impact plastic

Yes I hit it with a rock

Hi! I want to give a big THANK YOU to Ivy Wang and the rest of the team from Frey who I met at Sea Otter Classic on Sunday. Ivy was very welcoming to all of the ideas I shared about customizing e-bikes. She definitely knows what she's talking about - at one point in our conversation, she pointed to the "T6 - 6061" on my Jamis Dakar and explained that getting to T6 strength in the 6061 aluminum alloy requires two stages of heat treatment. And she immediately made the connection from that to economies of scale, factory versus individual frame makers. Needless to say, I was impressed!

And she wasn't just pretending to listen to my ideas; she actually pushed back on my idea that the FAT1000 or AM1000 could be customized to be a comfort bike with different handlebars and saddle, correctly pointing out that there are two completely different markets for a mountain bike with high end components and a comfort bike to ride around on the beach or flat areas. It made me stop and remember why I thought there was overlap in the first place. When my friend first told me about the 1000 watt BBSHD, he recommended a "donor bike" with full suspension and disc brakes. At that time, in Colorado, that almost always meant a used mountain bike with some better than average components. I never intended to use the resulting converted bike as a mountain bike, so I looked for comfort handle bars, gel seat, fenders, lights, etc.to make the mountain bike into a daily commuter.

Now, the inclusion of the motor in the frame design makes e-MTBs much more, well, MTB-ish. I saw them all over the mountains when I visited northern Italy last year. They were actually the norm, not the exception. But I knew the 250 watt motors were not going to have the same appeal in the USA. Frey is among the first to actually offer a frame designed for the latest high power torque-sensing Bafang motors, which is how I first stumbled upon this discussion.

But I do still think that there are many of us who are looking for a frame that can be customized to both our intended use and our budget. And, related to budget, many of us who would like a bike that can have multiple uses. Obviously, the FREY AM1000 will never be a little urban 20 inch wheel folding bike, that's a different animal. But the growing interest in 27.5+ and 29+ tells me that people want a bike that can be both a fat tire bike and a mid-fat bike just by changing the wheels. Swapping out a few different parts can allow you to have a mountain bike one day, a bike for riding on asphalt the next, and even a beach cruiser the next day, and they all benefit from the high end components that go along with Frey's core frame design. Some days you need a large battery for long trips, some days a lightweight battery.

If the customization is done in the country receiving the frame, then the cost of shipping should theoretically be less. And customers who want an IGH hub, for example, can choose whether they want an expensive model (Rohloff), something in the middle like a Nuvinci, or something very inexpensive like a 3 speed IGH off ebay. We also talked about belt drives vs chains. And the Sur-Ron style ebikes and the mini-bike e-bikes with seats for two people.

So I just wanted to say how nice it was to have someone like Ivy who actually listens to what we're saying. And I know my ideas don't represent everyone's opinion, so I'm sure people will disagree with some of my crazy ideas, but it's great to see all the new developments in electric bikes. One guy at the event did come up to me and say "I don't ride e-bikes. E-bikes are cheating. I want to earn it." And went on to explain that he was from Oregon, but I wasn't sure what the relevance of that was. He was buying an e-bike for his boss, but prior to that his boss's company had only sold Kona bikes. So there are still people who will always think e-bikes are for people who can't ride regular bikes, and I had to learn the Chinese word for "cheating" to explain his attitude. Ironically, his last words to us were, "But I really do like this throttle feature!" (the most cheating aspect of an e-bike IMHO haha).

Thanks again to Ivy and her team from Frey, it was an awesome day in Monterey!

Cheers,
Sean Daly
Orinda, East Bay, California

Not sure what a Bafang spider is but it will fit our crank assembly on the AMS1000 as it is a 110mm 5 bolt BCD system which is standard on bikes.

Here is a link to another chainring with it appears 4 to choose from and still free shipping. https://www.backcountry.com/sram-inner-chain-ring-road?CMP_SKU=SRM003C&MER=0406&skid=SRM003C-BK-S34TV1S110BC&mr:trackingCode=36DFDFF2-6F49-E411-B200-BC305BF82376&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&k_clickid=e6cbaa5e-0ea6-467d-a808-fe3ff42a9b15&rmatt=tsid:1042790|cid:213415837|agid:13362825397|tid:pla-380160827220|crid:92885919277|nw:g|rnd:6380407873087430730|dvc:c|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:9025095&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjqrNkonS2gIVkrXACh0_4gwcEAQYASABEgIFFfD_BwE

You just have to choose the 5 bolt 110mm rings.

Fred

Jebu said:
Drop Dead Fred said:
Hey Jebu,

Is that chainring compatible with the bafang spider?

By the way, did you hit your motor on some rocks? If so any damage? Thinking a shield would be nice, maybe high impact plastic

Yes I hit it with a rock

IGH would be great, i am on Nexus7 igh with my bbs02 with 50v battery, did more then 28.000km and i weight around 108kilograms. I never had any issues with the gears or anything so it can be done.

Hello. A French biker has already bought AM1000? What was the price for transport and taxes please ?
Thanks.

Velophil said:
Hello. A French biker has already bought AM1000? What was the price for transport and taxes please ?
Thanks.

I imported the bike to Spain.
Your best way is to talk with Ivy. She helped me a lot with that subject

Thank you. And to Spain, how much did you paid for transport and tax ? I think it will be the same...

Hi,

I have been following this thread for a while and really like the bikes and all the support! I ordered one as well.
Let's figure out the perfect settings of the torque sensor.

Many thanks!

Velophil said:
Thanks.

around 400usd here shipping to France, but only for frame+motor+battery,
I suspect it might be more for the complete bike as it's heavier.

I'm still awaiting delivery so I don't know about VAT taxes. PM me if you want more info in the coming days.

Does anyone know how to use 3d design software?
With the design of the skid plate we could go to print it in 3d.
We need something like that.

trek-bosch-motor-protector-p17842-75593_medium.jpg

dalysea said:
And she wasn't just pretending to listen to my ideas; she actually pushed back on my idea that the FAT1000 or AM1000 could be customized to be a comfort bike with different handlebars and saddle, correctly pointing out that there are two completely different markets for a mountain bike with high end components and a comfort bike to ride around on the beach or flat areas. It made me stop and remember why I thought there was overlap in the first place. When my friend first told me about the 1000 watt BBSHD, he recommended a "donor bike" with full suspension and disc brakes. At that time, in Colorado, that almost always meant a used mountain bike with some better than average components. I never intended to use the resulting converted bike as a mountain bike, so I looked for comfort handle bars, gel seat, fenders, lights, etc.to make the mountain bike into a daily commuter.

Yes Sean this is something where there is a massive market, much more than mountain-biking, i`m surprised Frey haven`t developed the AM1000 frame for a road `comfort bike` as you suggest. Probably the frame would remain the same with the option of different wheels/tyres, handlebars, fenders, lights etc.

Possibly integrate into the system an `Off Road` and a `Road` mode like this ----> https://eggbikes.com/eggrider/eggrider-v2-display-android-iphone-bluetooth-mobile-app-e-bike-bafang-sondors-kunteng-lishui

Back