My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Hello,

Purchased one of the am1000 bikes that was brought over for the Sea Otter Classic. Put the bike together last night and took it for its first ride. Really fun.

Wondering if any of the other owners who have tweaked their motor settings can post screenshots of the software that shows the changes? Would be hugely helpful as I can imagine the settings being improved upon. Even a list of the tweaks would be helpful. Have seen recommendations throughout this thread but it would be great to have all the info in one place.

Thanks in advance.

qqquent said:
Purchased one of the am1000 bikes that was brought over for the Sea Otter Classic.
Ahh... if I had only known... I would've made the journey to Monterey.
Sounds like a good event. Maybe next year.

Anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area who wants to test ride the AM1000 or the FAT1000, let me know and we can arrange a day and time.

Also, I'd like to make a video walk around of both bikes, some side by side comparisons perhaps? Open to any suggestions, what is it people would like to see in a video?

I'll probably try to build some alternate wheels for both of them to see how many options will work and how it affects the feel of the bike and the difference, if any, in the clearance from the ground. I thought about trying out an IGH hub with one of them, but not sure I want to commit to removing the existing shifter and rear derailleur, so might consider it if I can leave both in place.

Also, something that was probably obvious to anyone who researched this bike or who has owned fat tire bikes or mid-fat/plus tire bikes, but totally didn't occur to me - you should make sure your bike rack can handle the wheelbase, the weight, and the tire diameter and width. Or be prepared to potentially buy adapters or a new bike rack.

The AM1000 with 27.5 x 3.0 tires still fits in my 1UP USA bike rack, but the wheelbase of the bike and the weight of the bike with battery installed were both stretching the limits of the rack. Next time I will try it with battery removed and see if the bounce and wobble are diminished. In case you can't tell from the photos, these batteries are solid, industrial-strength metal packs, not the plastic we've come to expect from the shark/whale/dolphin/hailong packs. Okay, so the 4 inch tires of the FAT1000 wouldn't fit. From the 1UP website:
– Fits 16”–29” wheels, up to 3.1” wide (see spacer kit for tires wider than 3.1”)*
– Accommodates up to 54” wheelbase

So I will need to get the $34 spacer kit for it:
Accommodates tires wider than 3.1” up to 4.9” wide

I don't own one, but heard good things about kuat NV 2.0 which says it can handle up to 48 inch wheelbase and the 4 inch tires with strap adapter. The Large Frey AM1000 has a wheelbase of 49.6 inches per the website, so that version would be too long for the kuat NV 2.0 as-is. Anyway, just so you're prepared, unlike me.

Thanks,
Sean
SF Bay Area

Hi Frey:
I am so interested on the M600, can't wait what Frey's came up with. I hope is slick and slim like the one on the Bafang website.

I am so nterested by m600 too ! Ivy Said that bulk production Can be started from june.AM1000 is tooheavy for me ( 30 kg!!!) . So,i will wait. I have no informations about the Price and battery ( 48v 21ah ?).

dalysea said:
Anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area who wants to test ride the AM1000 or the FAT1000, let me know and we can arrange a day and time.

What part of the Bay Area are you located in?

Hi Sean,

I am very interested to see the comparison video and also some performance aspects of both bikes.

What 27.5 x 3.0 tyres did you put on the AM1000? I'm looking into using some 27.5 x 2.8 but they might be much wider due to their pattern. Also, what rim width does the bike come with?

dalysea said:
Also, I'd like to make a video walk around of both bikes, some side by side comparisons perhaps? Open to any suggestions, what is it people would like to see in a video?

Hi guys,

i just got my am1000 frame and it appears the swingarm got banged up during transit.

am1000dmg - 5.jpg
am1000dmg - 4.jpg

An offset like that seems pretty strange.

When disassembled, I noticed the rocker/link has to be compressed & pushed to the left pretty hard in order for it to fit back in the seat stay anchors. Compared to other FS frames it does not feel right at all to me :?

am1000dmg2 - 1.jpg

Also, there is a bearing screw that protudes out of the frame even when screwed correctly, wtf ?

edit: checked it thoroughly, this is by design, can't do nothing about it.
Grit will accumulate here, even if the bearing is sealed this is meh.

am1000dmg2 - 3.jpg

Could you guys look at your frames to see wether or not this is *normal* ?

Hardcore said:
I am very interested to see the comparison video and also some performance aspects of both bikes.

What 27.5 x 3.0 tyres did you put on the AM1000? I'm looking into using some 27.5 x 2.8 but they might be much wider due to their pattern. Also, what rim width does the bike come with?

dalysea said:

Good suggestion, I'll try to separate out my performance feedback between my thoughts on the Frey itself and my thoughts on riding a fat tire bike for the first time and what it feels like to have torque-sensing for the first time.

The tires are CST BFT 27.5x3.0 - I think Cheng Shin Tire is the parent company of Maxxis. Frey's alibaba page shows that it normally comes with Maxxis 27.5x2.8 REKON+ TLR. I'll have to check the rims and let you know.

Thanks,
Sean
SF Bay Area, California

fechter said:
dalysea said:

What part of the Bay Area are you located in?

I'm in Orinda, next to Berkeley.

Hi,

As you purchased only the frame with motor system and battery. We can't built the whole bike, adjust details and test in our side. Could you please help to build the whole bike and adjust it in the best condition to see how it works then? if there is any issue or problem. We will support you promptly. Please don't worry. We are always available!

Ivanovitch_k said:
Hi guys,

i just got my am1000 frame and it appears the swingarm got banged up during transit.

am1000dmg - 5.jpg
am1000dmg - 4.jpg

An offset like that seems pretty strange.

When disassembled, I noticed the rocker/link has to be compressed & pushed to the left pretty hard in order for it to fit back in the seat stay anchors. Compared to other FS frames it does not feel right at all to me :?

am1000dmg2 - 1.jpg

Also, there is a bearing screw that protudes out of the frame even when screwed correctly, wtf ?

edit: checked it thoroughly, this is by design, can't do nothing about it.
Grit will accumulate here, even if the bearing is sealed this is meh.

am1000dmg2 - 3.jpg

Could you guys look at your frames to see wether or not this is *normal* ?

Ivanovitch_k said:
Could you guys look at your frames to see whether or not this is *normal* ?

Here is a photo of the bearing screw from an AM1000 that was assembled by someone from Frey, so it appears you have assembled it correctly. In other words, if it is a flaw, it is a design flaw, not a build flaw.

am1000_bearing.jpg

edit: oops, sorry, just saw your edit that you already figured out it was by design

-Sean
SF Bay Area, California

Hardcore said:
Also, what rim width does the bike come with?

No label on the rims, but I measured as best I could without removing the tire and they appear to be 40mm width outer edge.

-Sean
SF Bay Area, California

Since Frey intends to begin ramping up production on the fat tire version of this bike, I'm wondering if there is any value in providing feedback on potential options to mitigate the so-called "self-steer" when riding on asphalt? I realize I'm not using the fat tires on the riding surface for which they were intended, but in other forums I've heard some people suggest that rim width and tire selection can almost eliminate the issue. And yet other people say it could just depend on the weight of the bike and the person riding it.

When I ride the Frey fat tire bike with the Maxxis fat tires on the road, I find that I'm fighting to keep the handlebar straight, the bike has a mind of its own. So does anyone have any suggestions we could provide to Frey, anything that has worked for people in this forum? Would changing to a longer stem reduce the issue? Some quotes below just from me doing a search:

"Vee Rubber Mission 4.0 - bad self steer"
"VeeRubber H-Billie 4.0 - moderate self steer"
"Schwalbe Jumbo Jim Snakeskin 4.0 - moderate self steer (this was the gen one JJ, not the new addix)"
"45Nrth Vanhelga 4.0 120 tpi - virtually no self steer"

"Maxxis Mammoths ... horrible for self-steer"

"Jumbo jims ... some of the lowest self steer Ive ever dealt with. Only fat tires I have been able to ride no hands"

"You want a demo of self steer, mount up some original Surly Endomorphs. they go everywhere you are not aiming. horrifying"

"My Barbagazzi's have zero self steer down on pavement down to 4 psi - haven't ridden them below that."

Thanks,
Sean
SF Bay Area, California

To get a real comparison between different tires, you need the same bike and same rider to evaluate. The frame geometry and tire pressure has an effect on self steer also.

That said, I have some Kenda Juggernauts on my fat bike and they seem fine on pavement but do self steer a bit on dirt. I just chalk it up to riding skill. A really skillful rider can probably deal with any amount of self steer.

FREYebikes said:
As you purchased only the frame with motor system and battery. We can't built the whole bike, adjust details and test in our side. Could you please help to build the whole bike and adjust it in the best condition to see how it works then? if there is any issue or problem. We will support you promptly. Please don't worry. We are always available!

I will give you the benefit of the doubt. For now, I'm waiting a Rohloff IGH* to start lacing the wheels, then I will see how the frame behaves.

Though, can you make sure the swing arm to seat stay offset/bending is normal on other frames ?

dalysea said:
Here is a photo of the bearing screw from an AM1000 that was assembled by someone from Frey, so it appears you have assembled it correctly. In other words, if it is a flaw, it is a design flaw, not a build flaw.

yes, this protuding screw design is unfortunate indeed :|

But I'm more concerned about the swing arm look. Never saw something like that to be honest :shock:

I reckon I would probably have overlooked it on a complete bike, but the fact that it scratched the seat tube only on one side during transit made me look into it...

Will probably make a build thread here for other interested. The AM1000 frame will be outfitted with premium stuff:
a Rohloff Speedhub laced on 35mm-wide DT-swiss e-bike hardened rims + e-bike hardened version of the fox 36 fork + fox DHX2 coil shock
should be sweet :D !

I see. Will pay more attention in this point following.

Ivanovitch_k said:
FREYebikes said:

I will give you the benefit of the doubt. For now, I'm waiting a Rohloff IGH* to start lacing the wheels, then I will see how the frame behaves.

Though, can you make sure the swing arm to seat stay offset/bending is normal on other frames ?

dalysea said:

yes, this protuding screw design is unfortunate indeed :|

But I'm more concerned about the swing arm look. Never saw something like that to be honest :shock:

I reckon I would probably have overlooked it on a complete bike, but the fact that it scratched the seat tube only on one side during transit made me look into it...

Will probably make a build thread here for other interested. The AM1000 frame will be outfitted with premium stuff:
a Rohloff Speedhub laced on 35mm-wide DT-swiss e-bike hardened rims + e-bike hardened version of the fox 36 fork + fox DHX2 coil shock
should be sweet :D !

Jebu, do you know what caused this?

I'm also having issues with my AM1000 and think a worn out cassette is to blame. I did a rather thorough alignment of the derailleur last night and still have issues this morning. Hard to believe the cassette is already bad as this is only the third time I've ridden the bike. The chain skips on the two highest gears (the smallest cogs) when pedaled hard. It's bad enough that I can't use the highest gear.

Did you order a new cassette? If so, what did you get?

Hope this issue isn't ongoing.

check the hubs for loose bearings, we bought some ebikes with Novatec hubs, and they were not particularly high-end, anyway, the slack in the hubs' bearings would deform the cassete alignment and result in chain jumping issues. New quality hub and cassette and problem is gone, with all of the identical drive train.

Very strange, we have never sold any of our AM1000 come with this kind of black cassette. All we sold out earlier is SHIMANO in silver color.
If you got the bike from some distributor, please check with the distributor.
Thank you for all friends' attention here!

Jebu said:
The original cassette after a week of use.

Hey q,

I believe you probably have an adjustment problem. While I prefer SRAM and it is mainly because I seem to knock Shimano out of adjustment regularly as they seem to be a bit finicky. Did you have a bike shop set your bike up? You might want to take it down to a shop and get a tune just to be sure and they will let you know if something is having an issue.

Fred

qqquent said:
Jebu, do you know what caused this?

I'm also having issues with my AM1000 and think a worn out cassette is to blame. I did a rather thorough alignment of the derailleur last night and still have issues this morning. Hard to believe the cassette is already bad as this is only the third time I've ridden the bike. The chain skips on the two highest gears (the smallest cogs) when pedaled hard. It's bad enough that I can't use the highest gear.

Did you order a new cassette? If so, what did you get?

Hope this issue isn't ongoing.

Mine's silver, also looks like the number 1 gear is smaller too?

FREYebikes said:
Very strange, we have never sold any of our AM1000 come with this kind of black cassette. All we sold out earlier is SHIMANO in silver color.
If you got the bike from some distributor, please check with the distributor.
Thank you for all friends' attention here!

Jebu said:
The original cassette after a week of use.

Attachments

• IMG_20180405_115651.jpg
    IMG_20180405_115651.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 2,477
Back