Another EEB build with a few twists.

footbaldd

100 mW
I just finished my bike. I have done a bit of riding, so I thought I would share a few pictures.

IMG_1773.JPG
IMG_2821.JPG

The bike is the EEB frame widened by 1.5" it has fox dh40 fork, cain creek rear monoshock, 19" motocycle wheels laced two cross in the front and one in the rear.

IMG_2736.JPG

21s12p LG HG2 battery pack

IMG_2693.JPG
IMG_2673.JPG
IMG_2607.JPG
IMG_2712.JPG

It has a Crystalyte crown 4080 motor with hubsinks and ferrofluid. ASI bac2000 drive.
20ah CC/CV charger

IMG_2316.JPG

IMG_2758.JPG
IMG_2755.JPG
IMG_2704.JPG

also played around with nickel plating copper for battery bus bars

IMG_2569.JPG

The bike is on shinko 244 tires, has hope 4 piston brakes front and rear. I have foot pegs on the way. I don't plan on running a crank on this bike. Acceleration is pretty good, and I am happy with the speed for now. After I get some time on it I will probably go for more power and speed like the qs 273 or something in the middle. I am considering making a wider rear swingarm, and upgrading to a wider tire, bigger motor, and larger drive. I also think I am going to send the front fork to push industries and get it rebuilt for the heavier application I am using.

Uploaded to the site as requested. Anyways thanks for viewing.

Specs sound good, however none of your photos work - photobucket is absolutely evil and should be avoided like the plague. I'd suggest attaching the photos directly to the post, this way they can't be black holed like so many other photos after photobucket changed their terms of service...

following this. good job!

So I have some foot pegs, mirrors, a 5.75" headlight, and brake lights coming in this week. I accidentially broke my front brake lever when moving the bike, so that is coming in as well. I was going to machine custom footpegs, but I have found a set that will work for now until I get some time on the lathe. Also ordered a new rear tire. I decided to have some fun and smoked a good bit of the first one. Not something I normally would do, but I couldn't help myself... You know, for science.

that looks like the the same type of aluminium enduro frame i just did a build with.
the clamping torque plates that came supplied were infact about a hard as cheese, made of aluminium not steel.
i like the frame in general but needs some added extras for safety.

Did you lace the rearwheel by yourself?

The frame itself is steel not aluminum. I may modify the torque plates before adding more power.

I built both wheel sets myself. They are using Holmes Hobbies nipples, 12awg leader spokes, stainless steel washers flaired conical, and some manual machine work.

footbaldd said:
The frame itself is steel not aluminum. I may modify the torque plates before adding more power.

I built both wheel sets myself. They are using Holmes Hobbies nipples, 12awg leader spokes, stainless steel washers flaired conical, and some manual machine work.
checked with a magnet?
sorry, just being thourough. the design looks identical.

100% positive it is not aluminum. I could tell by the weight, the welds, the feel, and It is magnetic. Cover panels are ABS, and the 3/4" body spacers I made are HDPE on either side of the frame.

I am still waiting the foot pegs, but I went ahead and ordered mirrors, 5.75" led projector headlight, more switches and some basic integrated taillights. Also got a horn to install. It will probably be a month as I am waiting on this 144v-12v dc buck converter to install the auxiliary power. It has ample power for everything onboard, and using the bike as a power supply.

I will install a switched relay to energize the converter, and then switched power to the lighting system. Maybe one of those 18 amp XLR plugs for aux output power. I also need to install my throttle interrupt switch and clean up the handlebar wiring. I tested out the high and low beams on the light I bought and they are pretty bright and with a nice cutoff for the cost. They are supposed to be cree bulbs and look to be maybe 1000 or so lumens.

Nice build :) love the idea for widening the frame, did you do it yourself? Is there any way you could make some for sale?
I have the same frame but i keep the controller inside because of the water(i ride most of the time of road) 72v 30ah sabvoton 72150 19"qs 205 but the battery is 17cm wide and the the frame is like 15cm, i bought some side panels from a vector ebike but they dont match unless i cut them.
Thanks and keep us posted.

I made a template out of mdf, and used that to cut out the HDPE. I bought a 4'x4' sheet, ripped that in half, and then cross cut that with a circular saw. You can get 6 pieces out of a 4x4 half sheet of material. I was going to use my hand router, but I couldn't find the right bit locally so I used a jigsaw with a course fat blade and had "watercooling" on the blade using a water bottle with a pinhole in it... hehe. The HDPE is fairly expensive but I found it locally in Houston so that saved a lot on shipping.

Doing it by hand took a lot of time. If I were to sell them, I would have to be able to cut them on a cnc router table. There are small pieces in the front, and I would definitely consider necking them down towards the dual crown to maintain full steering angle. If I have time later this year after I get moved I do want to work out a cad file for the design. Not sure what a fair price would be. A half sheet of HDPE was around $200, so materials were around $90 for one set including new fasteners and the material I went through to give you an idea. If I were to make them for sale I would have to include destructive tooling cost and time.

Attachments

• IMG_2728.JPG
    IMG_2728.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 4,117
For anybody that wants to make more of these, I'd suggest purchasing 1/2" HDPE stock and cut the spacer in two layers. Split one layer north to south and the second east to west, rotate one half to nest inside the other. CNC cut, including the mounting holes so they all line up perfectly. This will massively reduce the material cost. I'd be happy to do it (and have the CNC/material) but I'm on the other side the planet and all of that cost reduction would likely be eaten up in shipping!

Interesting, I may just make the cad file for fun, I doubt there would be enough interest to make it something I want to batch produce. We will see when I have some time. With sheet optimization, and a router table, it may be efficient to make these with small overhead. By hand it is definitely not worth it. The plastic burns through blades without watercooling, and then you have to hand finish the pieces. I would want a higher level of qa/qc with less time if I were to even attempt to sell them.

For a one off on the fly, I am happy with them. If I make a file I will probably just share it of the forum for others to make themselves.

If it turns out there's more than a few people that want them in the US it probably would be cost effective for me to make up a sheet worth of spacers and send them all to you to distribute. I've machined lots of HDPE for battery enclosures, with low helix 1/4" 2 flute endmill with the right feeds and speeds it cuts like butter and leaves a perfect edge finish. I'd also pocket out the spacers in the thicker areas for further weight reduction, mostly just because you can.

I guess we will see. I can't wait to expand my tooling. This was my first real experience with HDPE. I have been watching for engineering work out in NZ. It seems like a great place to live.

I have a few different transmission line enclosures (speaker enclosures) I have designed, and I am now thinking about making a set out of HDPE for hardened outdoor use after seeing how I like the material.

Ohbse: It sounds like you have a good deal of experience with the material. If there is enough interest, that sounds like a good idea.

I have been riding a lot lately while looking for a new job. It looks like I am going to be moving to Michigan to work as a project engineer on hybrid and electric platforms, so I am quite excited. Here are a couple newer pictures of the bike. I added the 5.75" bucket headlight, and a Delta 12.5v 24A buck regulator. I have relay switched power to the front of the bike to turn the accessory power on and off.

I think the light works very well. Even on low beam it is very bright compared to what I am used to. According to the cycle analyst on high beam the light and converter are using around 15-20W.

Attachments

• IMG_3134.JPG
    IMG_3134.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 3,699
  • IMG_3154.JPG
    IMG_3154.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 3,699
  • IMG_3197.JPG
    IMG_3197.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 3,699
I like the beam spread on that headlight. Where did you get it?

Congrats on the new job. The more EV's in action the better...more outstanding used batteries available.

It is one of the clones for Harley. It was the Wisamic 5 3/4" daymaker projector headlight. That picture is low beam. High beam adds a center beam projection just above that line. I need to figure out brake switches so I can add the integrated rear light soon.

footbaldd said:
I made a template out of mdf, and used that to cut out the HDPE. I bought a 4'x4' sheet, ripped that in half, and then cross cut that with a circular saw. You can get 6 pieces out of a 4x4 half sheet of material. I was going to use my hand router, but I couldn't find the right bit locally so I used a jigsaw with a course fat blade and had "watercooling" on the blade using a water bottle with a pinhole in it... hehe. The HDPE is fairly expensive but I found it locally in Houston so that saved a lot on shipping.

Doing it by hand took a lot of time. If I were to sell them, I would have to be able to cut them on a cnc router table. There are small pieces in the front, and I would definitely consider necking them down towards the dual crown to maintain full steering angle. If I have time later this year after I get moved I do want to work out a cad file for the design. Not sure what a fair price would be. A half sheet of HDPE was around $200, so materials were around $90 for one set including new fasteners and the material I went through to give you an idea. If I were to make them for sale I would have to include destructive tooling cost and time.

I'm a bit late to this thread, but the idea here is solid. I will employ the same technique if I need the extra width! Thanks for sharing.

Where did you get the footpegs?

Is it possible to mount them on the bolt under the frame instead of on the swingarm?

Back