Adding pictures?

usasearider said:
Why don't I have a "Browse" button bellow the text to add pictures?
You need to select the tab "Upload attachment". Then there will be a button labeled "Choose File".choose file.png
Once you have uploaded the file you can then select "Place inline".

Photobucket waited many years of allowing people to post their pics on Photobucket for free. they made it easy, and now? They have blocked everyone's pictures unless you pay a monthly access fee. Even spotify only charges $50 for an entire year. I'd pay one months subscription, and then copy all the pics, even if I have to screen-shot them.

"Photobuckets new policy"
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89507

linking to google photos for forums and websites

make shared album (set for public access)
put photos into shared album
go to the shared album
go to the individual photo view in the shared album
copy url from this individual view of the photo in the shared album
paste it into the forum or website
test with non-logged in browser to see what others see and make sure it is working

It works when it is done properly, but it is easy to mess up. If you paste the link from the wrong window, or a non shared album it won't work for others, but will work for you when logged in.

I have hundreds of photos set up this way.

I have lost my avatar. I have resized my pic to 100 x 67 pixels but the system tells me is 5312 x 2900 pixels ??? help..Avatar.jpg

torker said:
I have lost my avatar. I have resized my pic to 100 x 67 pixels but the system tells me is 5312 x 2900 pixels ??? help..Avatar.jpg
torker :)
I downloaded the avatar you just posted and tried to upload it to be my avatar.
Got the same error as you did: "The submitted avatar is 5312 pixels wide and 2988 pixels high."
So I opened up your avatar using some paint program that was on my PC and saved it to a different filename.jpg. Then uploaded it to be my avatar and it works ok. PHPBB says it's 120x120.
You can see in my avatar that it worked ok. I'll get rid of it in a little while.
So make yourself a new avatar from a known good copy of your avatar's source image.

That is crazy, I did exactly what you did and I get the error. I will try again when I get home tonight. It looks good though haha Thanks.

Ok this is a walk-through on how to add pictures to ES

step one take a picture

step two put it on your pc

step three go to google and type in resizer image like this and click picresizer

Untitled.jpg

step four upload your picture in the Browser

upload it.png

step five once you see your picture scroll down to max file size and put 512 in the box like this

put 512 in max file size.png

ok now save it to your pc

PS some where you can find it :)

now you can upload it to ES by clicking the attachments and add files tag it and place inline and it will NOT disappear

There must be a good reason why sometimes when I add a picture it will actually post the image into the post, but other times it will have the name of the pic and a link to the image.

I know about the 512kb to post the image, but I am wondering about physical size of the image might be the reason why. I use irfanview so I am playing around with it currently.

OK My hunch was correct, normally IRFANVIEW program does a random size I guess, so now I just set it to 600 under Image - Resize/Resample - Set New Size - Width and 600 then the height automatically adjusts.

Seems like you can have a width up to at least 1000 pixels and the images will display inline.

Dunno if this has been asked before:
I understand the 512KB limit for saving resources, but, almost all sites nowadays (even apps like Whatspp/Facebook) automatically reduce the file size to what they need before uploading. The CPU need for that is almost nothing compared with the CPU's of today, even on smartphones.
The need to work your picture files on every upload is so the beginning of the 2000's....

Can someone explain why we are stuck in this primitive (manual) fashion? :D

This jpg is 1080p wide...420KB. Does one really need anything more for a site like ES?

:D

e-beach said:
This jpg is 1080p wide...420KB. Does one really need anything more for a site like ES?
That's "1080p wide"as in 1080 pixels wide, not as in 1080p HD format width - which would be 1920 pixels wide.[ATTACH type="full" alt="1080p

I've been assuming a max width of 1000 pixels, so I'm attaching a 1920x1080 (1080p frame size) image as a test. It looks right on the preview. Let's see what happens when I post.
test.jpg"]0[/ATTACH]

So that worked fine for me. 1920x1080 (331 kb file size) worked with no problem.

Maybe image display improved when they changed the system software a few months back?

wturber said:
That's "1080p wide"as in 1080 pixels wide, not as in 1080p HD format width - which would be 1920 pixels wide.1080p
That's because I wasn't trying to go 1920p, I was going 1080p. :wink:
On my side your picture has an attachment notice on the upper left and then I need to click the picture to get the full size. So larger pictures are ok if the 512k file size rule is followed.

So this picture is 4000 x 2248 but the file size was reduced to 505k. If you click on it, it should get much bigger. It confirms the file size rule. Under 512k size works.
IMG_3038.JPG

Yeah, i set the system a few months ago to generate a very large thumbnail of every image, so that the site works similar to social media sites. When you click the image, you can get the full size by clicking the image in your browser ( most browser resize it to fit the window by default )

I have some custom scripts in the works that take it a step further and cap the real size at 4k resolution, but keep the big thumbnail, because modern cameras produce huge files and most people don't go through the trouble to resize things before they upload.

It's 2018 and PHPBB still doesn't have the ability to auto-resize images on upload, like the social media sites do.. even though it has all the code that uses libraries to do so.. wtf? :pancake:

spinningmagnets said:
Photobucket waited many years of allowing people to post their pics on Photobucket for free. they made it easy, and now? They have blocked everyone's pictures unless you pay a monthly access fee. Even spotify only charges $50 for an entire year. ........
Yea, I gave up on photobucket and just went with GIMP. It's free, it works in all major platforms and is very comprehensive. It works great for ES stuff.

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

e-beach said:
Yea, I gave up on photobucket and just went with GIMP. It's free, it works in all major platforms and is very comprehensive. It works great for ES stuff.
This is a really dreadful practice that I wish we would prevent.

The problem is that over time members leave or screw with their 3rd party hosting and the images disappear from ES. This foils one of the big advantages of a forum of allowing searches into the past. We've lost a lot of stuff this way and the relatively recent PhotoBucket fiasco left us with many missing images where people didn't want to pay.

It's not a big effort to host photos here on ES where they will live on in spite of changes in your life in years to come....

teklektik said:
e-beach said:
Um, what is the dreadful practice exactly.....Giving up photobucket, or going with GIMP?....
I know you like hosting on ES, but not sure about the other part of your statement.

teklektik said:
e-beach said:

GIMP is a photo editing program, not a hosting site.

e-beach said:
Um, what is the dreadful practice exactly.....Giving up photobucket, or going with GIMP?....
I know you like hosting on ES, but not sure about the other part of your statement.
My Bad - "Photobucket" and other 3rd party hosting sites, of course.

I actually have used Gimp but my 'hosting' pet peeve apparently took over and blanked out other parts of my brain.
I should fix the post but leave it as an example of the foibles of speed reading and too-quick posting... :oops:

I thought with the next sentence giving it context, your point was quite clear.... losing photos from the hivemind due to lame third party hosting=bad.

Back