Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

johnrobholmes said:
So what’s the word on brake pads? One of my rear pads is worn to the backer now.

My rear pads turned to dust the first week. Luna didn’t have any in stock so refunded me $20 almost instantly. Since then I’ve upgraded to magura mt5 that I found for $80/each from starbike.... literally night and day performance contrast over stock. I really have to be careful to not lock up (while my muscle memory gets used to it) and I’m a 1-finger-on-the-brakes rider.

For those of you sticking with stock breaks, I found the avid pads for less than $1 each on AliExpress (I had to hit one corner with the grinding wheel for them to seat flush but works).

stonezone said:
johnrobholmes said:
So what’s the word on brake pads? One of my rear pads is worn to the backer now.

My rear pads turned to dust the first week. Luna didn’t have any in stock so refunded me $20 almost instantly. Since then I’ve upgraded to magura mt5 that I found for $80/each from starbike.... literally night and day performance contrast over stock. I really have to be careful to not lock up (while my muscle memory gets used to it) and I’m a 1-finger-on-the-brakes rider.

For those of you sticking with stock breaks, I found the avid pads for less than $1 each on AliExpress (I had to hit one corner with the grinding wheel for them to seat flush but works).
Have you changed the whole setup ie levers hoses and calipers if so any pictures & comments on how easy to swap.

Got my Sur-Ron. Like it a lot)))). Drove in motocross park (first time in my life) yesterday.

Midnight assemble

IMG_6623.jpg

I put the front mudguard from Toppeak

First run on the track

IMG_0140.jpg

Happy with this purchase. Thanks Luna-Cycle!!!

I've also got 60 teeth sprocket for Sur-Ron, but I've never deal with chains and wheels and sprockets before. Do you have any kind of manual of how to install this sprocket on my bike?
If you can post any links or faq of how to deal with chain and it's length changing and how to install new chain to the bike would be great to see it!

Uran93 said:
I've also got 60 teeth sprocket for Sur-Ron, but I've never deal with chains and wheels and sprockets before. Do you have any kind of manual of how to install this sprocket on my bike?
If you can post any links or faq of how to deal with chain and it's length changing and how to install new chain to the bike would be great to see it!

where did you purchase the 60t Sur-ron rear sprocket, did it come with a longer chain?? if not then inquire from the seller how many links chain length needed for the 60t.. this video should help you somewhat.. you will need a 420 chain breaker if you don't have the correct length chain already..

[youtube]FVl66T8No_M[/youtube]

Uran93 said:
First run on the track

IMG_0140.jpg

Happy with this purchase. Thanks Luna-Cycle!!!

For some reason this pic with the full size moto helmet on the seat makes the bike look oddly small-ish

Proving I'm having the best luck on this bike, the charger just shot sparks out this morning. Got smoke on video during my attempt at turning down the amperage for a vid. NTCs were crispy critters, one crumbled when I was figuring out what stunk. I had to twist the legs together to get the charger going.

I wanted to turn down the amps just to hopefully make the kingpan charger last longer. A day late and a dollar short on that one :roll:

skeetab5780 said:
For some reason this pic with the full size moto helmet on the seat makes the bike look oddly small-ish

The bike is pretty small. To me it's like a 80cc gasser.

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
Uran93 said:

where did you purchase the 60t Sur-ron rear sprocket, did it come with a longer chain?? if not then inquire from the seller how many links chain length needed for the 60t.. this video should help you somewhat.. you will need a 420 chain breaker if you don't have the correct length chain already..

[youtube]FVl66T8No_M[/youtube]

Great thanks!!!
Got it from Luna and they put extra links. I've also bought new chain just in case.

fechter said:
skeetab5780 said:

The bike is pretty small. To me it's like a 80cc gasser.

Yes, it is small, but it doesn't make it ugly for me, I enjoy it a lot!!!))

motomoto said:
Threw the supermoto rear with 48t sprocket in today. Rollout measures 12% lower but only lost 6% top speed as checked by roadside radar. :mrgreen:

Definitely a keeper combo! I wouldn’t mind even more gear reduction.

I just cut up sheet of 7075 for 58t sprockets because that is all I have sold, no 52t.

I am not making any more 52s for now. I might do a run of speed sprockets for the motard wheels.

What tooth count should I make?

didn't see that you were specifically asking about a speed sprocket for the motard wheels. I would vote 38t and 32 or 33t.

I just cut up sheet of 7075 for 58t sprockets because that is all I have sold, no 52t.

I am not making any more 52s for now. I might do a run of speed sprockets for the motard wheels.

What tooth count should I make?

didn't see that you were specifically asking about a speed sprocket for the motard wheels. I would vote 38t and 32 or 33t.

I will probably make a 36, 38 and 40 tooth and buy a motard wheel set and when I get the ASI 8000 controller working well, try to make
some speed runs. Maybe 80 mph ?

Here is a video I made dealing with the rear wheel if anyone is interested.

It shows one way to get the rear wheel off. Probably not the best way.

[youtube]yCI7De7iUeM[/youtube]

I was wondering what might be preventing the Sur-Ron from recharging when going down hill?

I don't mean regenerative breaking (although that would be nice too), but just charging up the battery when the motor is spinning. As long as the motor is spinning (without using power), it should be generating a charge, right?

I came down about 3,000 vertical feet today, and was just thinking it would be nice if all that altitude could put some charge back in the pack.

:wink:

3DTOPO said:
I was wondering what might be preventing the Sur-Ron from recharging when going down hill?

I don't mean regenerative breaking (although that would be nice too), but just charging up the battery when the motor is spinning. As long as the motor is spinning (without using power), it should be generating a charge, right?

I came down about 3,000 vertical feet today, and was just thinking it would be nice if all that altitude could put some charge back in the pack.

:wink:

You dont want it to recharge just because the motor is spinning, if you do this, the bike will slow down, bringing down the momentum. With this, you end up actually using your throttle one time to many depleting your battery more than you got from that regen in the first place. So its not always you want this. Regen should always be optional as a button, makes the driving more effective.

motomoto said:
Here is a video I made dealing with the rear wheel if anyone is interested.

It shows one way to get the rear wheel off. Probably not the best way.

[youtube]yCI7De7iUeM[/youtube]

NIce but for next time :wink: :
Vertical-Video-Syndrome-guide.png

If there are no one-way/freewheeling devices in the drivetrain than it should just be the controller preventing it. Its curious they wouldn't have included it as a feature or option considering its a zero chain growth drive system. Seems like regen comes free with most controllers.

I agree with allex that you might not always want it on but descending 3000 feet while riding the brakes is pretty wasteful. Having adjustable slip regen seems like a nice feature and would make ICE converts more comfortable.

DanGT86 said:
If there are no one-way/freewheeling devices in the drivetrain than it should just be the controller preventing it. Its curious they wouldn't have included it as a feature or option considering its a zero chain growth drive system. Seems like regen comes free with most controllers.

I agree with allex that you might not always want it on but descending 3000 feet while riding the brakes is pretty wasteful. Having adjustable slip regen seems like a nice feature and would make ICE converts more comfortable.

LMX 161 utilises a slight "slip regen" when off throttle so this function seems to work well for them so could be useful on light bee as well..

reference :
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57668&p=1372210#p1372210

Probably nothing of interest for you tech heads, but I discuss why I would like an aftermarket charger. Of special note, I found where the smell was coming from when taking the charger apart (next vid, being edited). It wasn't the cord as I had assumed.

[youtube]eCGOu9zEqTw[/youtube]

johnrobholmes said:
Probably nothing of interest for you tech heads, but I discuss why I would like an aftermarket charger. Of special note, I found where the smell was coming from when taking the charger apart (next vid, being edited). It wasn't the cord as I had assumed.

make sure that the rear tire can not contact the on-board charger in that mounting location under the seat with full suspension travel (looks like it may contact in the video preview pic).. you could test for suspension, tire clearance by removing the coil spring from the shock body, reassemble the suspension without the coil then fully compress, cycle the suspension to check for clearance (you would also want at least a small bit of space to spare to account for any possible flex, debris and bottom out bumper)..

Alright guys, I messed up. I just noticed that axle nut was missing. I must have not tightened or assembled right when I changed sprocket. Does anyone know the size and thread pitch? I guess I could take the axle to the hardware store....

I think I might have put the tabbed washers in wrong. I was doubting myself as I did it. I had square tab facing down.

johnrobholmes said:

Love your pro videos, but the charger you show are not longer in use by sur-ron, see:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89902&p=1358016&hilit=xlr#p1358016

Much smaller, lighter and waterproof, all electronics are potted inside and of course quality is heeaps better.

Allex said:
.. the charger you show are not longer in use by sur-ron, see:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89902&p=1358016&hilit=xlr#p1358016

Much smaller, lighter and waterproof, all electronics are potted inside and of course quality is heeaps better.

new charger looks pretty sweet.. where is it intended to be mounted on the bike, any pics of it onboard??

Back