Model 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. That would be my concern. Turo is funny though, you can check a person's driving record and other details before hand. Also, the Tesla app allows you to monitor where the car is and how fast it is being driven. That being said, after waiting 2 years for a $60,000 car, I have no intention of letting anyone else touch it unless my business slows down and I need the money.

Matt

Hey Guys,

I figured you would be interested in some specific numbers for this purchase. Here is what I ordered and exactly what it cost me;

Car options;

Long range battery, premium upgrade package, white color, standard wheels, autopilot.

Total cost $56,000

Back in 2016 I gave a $1,000 deposit to reserve the car.
On 2-22-18 I gave another $2,500 to configure the car and finalize my order.

Tesla requires a 10% down-payment. That 10% does not include taxes and fees. The total down-payment would be $5,600 plus fees. The taxes and fees are $4,610. So, I have given $3,500 in deposits so far. That money counts toward my down-payment. At closing/delivery of the car, I need to bring $6,710. That is the deposits I have paid so far, plus $2,100 additional to complete a 10% down-payment, plus taxes and fees of $4,610.

I obtained financing through Tesla (sourced through Chase) at 3.24% interest. That gives me a payment of $772 per month for 72 months.

I know many of you will think this is a totally insane purchase. But, for me, it is a business expense (I drive about 38,000 to 44,000 miles per year for my business). So, it is worth it to me especially when you consider gas savings and mileage write-off.

I just figured you guys would be interested what it takes to purchase one of these cars.

Matt

You will love the Model 3. I attended an alt energy/green tech event at a nearby park Saturday. I lined up our Bolt with a plug-in Prius, and 4-5 Tesla S and X, as usual. The treat was when the Model 3 showed up. I got to sit in it, close the frunk, etc. IMO it is much sexier than the S or X. I find them way too big for a fun vehicle.

Model 3.jpg

Oh! The door handles work pretty easy. Folks have been making a deal out of needing to do two motions to open the door. It takes about two seconds to get the hang of.

Congratulations Matt!

We reserved an M3 before the car was revealed. The most expensive car we ever considered. Our previous high was about 12k for a used civic.

My goal was to make enough on TSLA stock to pay for a M3. We made a little over 200k last year on TSLA options, mission accomplished. We’re waiting for a dual motor version. I think that we’ll make another 50k by waiting to spend the money.

Can you get a better deal on an MX after factoring in the tax credit? It might be better for hauling your tools around?

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-tax-break-20151013-story.html
“The company's new $100,000-plus Model X electric SUV qualifies for a $25,000 federal tax deduction.

That's on top of a $7,500 federal tax credit and a $2,500 California rebate given to buyers of battery-electric vehicles.

The right buyer, a small-business owner with a substantial federal tax exposure, could place an order for the new seven-seater and collect up to $35,000 in tax and government rebate benefits.”

Wow, Mitch, $200,000 invested?! I can't imagine having that much money to put in one place. That is cool....

So, I have the words for you, Autopilot-is-awesome! It works phenomenally well. They must have improved it recently. It works fantastic. :mrgreen:

Matt

If you don't mind buddy, take some motor and controller and power busing pictures for your fellow hotrodders who haven't got their own M3 yet. My reservation was delayed by wanting AWD.

recumpence said:
I picked up my car today!

Totally awesome! I will post pictures when I have them.

Matt

liveforphysics said:
If you don't mind buddy, take some motor and controller and power busing pictures for your fellow hotrodders who haven't got their own M3 yet. My reservation was delayed by wanting AWD.

recumpence said:
I picked up my car today!

Totally awesome! I will post pictures when I have them.

Matt

Yes, actually a hotrod shop down the street from me (Custom Classics) invited me to come in and put the car on the lift to take the lower pans and covers off so I can get some pictures and videos. Deep dive tech videos are sorely lacking for the Model 3.

My YouTube channel is just starting to grow a tiny bit and I have many videos planned to hopefully get my channel growing faster. I think Model 3 videos will be just the ticket. Oh, my son-in-law is a professional videographer. He will be doing a bunch of editing of my videos from now on and my son is a very good musician. He has composed and recorded some awesome metal background music for my videos.

I am trying to graduate from "Moron with a GoPro" to a legitimate channel. :mrgreen:

Matt

So lucky you've got access to a lift! Stoked to see the videos, and I agree there is a severe shortage of hotrod relevant M3 info out there, and must be many thousands of folks hungry for it already.

recumpence said:
Wow, Mitch, $200,000 invested?! I can't imagine having that much money to put in one place. That is cool....

So, I have the words for you, Autopilot-is-awesome! It works phenomenally well. They must have improved it recently. It works fantastic. :mrgreen:

Matt
Home equity loan. Made about 100!

They did recently roll out substantial autopilot improvements. I believe that now that they have managed to get past the mobile eye replacement and have a new nueral network in place that the rate of improvements will pick up.

recumpence said:
Yes, actually a hotrod shop down the street from me (Custom Classics) invited me to come in and put the car on the lift to take the lower pans and covers off so I can get some pictures and videos. Deep dive tech videos are sorely lacking for the Model 3.

My YouTube channel is just starting to grow a tiny bit and I have many videos planned to hopefully get my channel growing faster. I think Model 3 videos will be just the ticket. Oh, my son-in-law is a professional videographer. He will be doing a bunch of editing of my videos from now on and my son is a very good musician. He has composed and recorded some awesome metal background music for my videos.

I am trying to graduate from "Moron with a GoPro" to a legitimate channel. :mrgreen:

Matt
Now that you have a M3 you can get a referral code for referring people to buy the MS-MX. Several popular Tesla related YouTube channels have managed to accumulate enough referrals to either get a free Roadster or a substantial discount. It’s a 2% discount per referral or fifty referrals for a free Roadster!

It would be great if you could get a free Roadster or at least a substantial discount :!: :mrgreen:

Now I am fired up about your new videos. Custom made music and a pro videographer. That should take things to a new level for sure. Look forward to see em.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/08/technology/aaa-electric-car-consideration/index.html

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/07/technology/winnebago-electric/index.html

Everyone will want to watch this Model 3 battery teardown video from JR! I watched at double speed, and re-wound for the interesting bits, like onboard charger and DC-DC in one unit.

1054 pounds including charger/DC-DC, 4416 cells, 96s46p, 2 modules 23s46p, 2 modules 25s46p, ~80 kWh, 75 kWh usable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvCOcBynlq0&t=196s

They needed professor Kelly's bar stools. :)

Keep an eye on this thread. I will be posting a youtube link soon. My son-in-law and I just finished a ton of video footage on the car. Now he is editing it. I expect the video to be live this weekend.

Matt

I quick pic of the car parked in front of a couple trees. This is a location used for much of the video footage we shot last weekend.

Matt

Attachments

• 20180521_202309.jpg
    20180521_202309.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 2,170
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back