Homemade Battery Packs

Joachim said:
to be save go for thes https://www.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/sony-us18650vtc6.html
Thank you, I just send them an email and asked if they can ship those cells to Greece.

Considering building a new battery pack. The one I built wasn't the greatest for fitting to my bike frame and some of the cells are pretty old from laptops but most of the cells are decent Chinese cells rated for 2C draw which they see typically... Considering a slightly larger 13S8P pack... Kinda a bother though I don't have a spot welder nor do I have the space or means to build one...or $$$ to buy one. Lol. I already have 39 new cells...Maybe I should just build an entirely new pack....

Anyone tried to build a pack with these 18650 cases?
Wholesale-Black-ABS-Metal-4-Way-4-Slots-18650-Battery-Storage-Case-Box-Holder-With-8.jpg

Can we find out how much current they can hold?

vagosofron said:
Wholesale-Black-ABS-Metal-4-Way-4-Slots-18650-Battery-Storage-Case-Box-Holder-With-8.jpg

Not very much if you plan to use the wire leads that they come with... I bought a 10 pack or whatever from CHINA china...china... :p anyway... I glued 3 of them together to give me a 6 cell holder. Makes it easy for balancing/charging cells IMHO. I think you can solder your own wire on the back of them...you just need to get a little crafty... I really like these kind too, they're way better than a spring holder...these really hold the cells well.

I was going to solder a thicker wire obviously, but will that be enough? Will those little metal things that hold the batteries hold up the current? I want to build two 4s3p batteries, for a 60A esc. I hope using 12awg wire will do the trick.

vagosofron said:
I was going to solder a thicker wire obviously, but will that be enough? Will those little metal things that hold the batteries hold up the current? I want to build two 4s3p batteries, for a 60A esc. I hope using 12awg wire will do the trick.

That's pretty high amperage... Its hard to tell. They will probably hold the cells hard enough for an ebike but I'd still either do some removable tape or zip tie or velcro straps to ensure they stay in the housing.

Philaphlous said:
vagosofron said:

That's pretty high amperage... Its hard to tell. They will probably hold the cells hard enough for an ebike but I'd still either do some removable tape or zip tie or velcro straps to ensure they stay in the housing.
I will use straps for extra safety, that is for sure.
I have a 60A esc ( dlux 60A from hobbyking), I hope it will work.

Failed to capitalize on this opportunity... Im 99% sure the seller made a mistake and didn't refuse to deliver the item. Got a brand spanking new Lenovo 6 cell pack for $6!!! Lol! Was thinking it might not be genuine but it sure is! Came with 3000mah panasonic 18650BD cells! Best part was the pack was the easiest pack ever to open. Man an ebike battery with all these would be freaking awesome! I only ordered one...checked back an hour later...the price is now $16. Lol someone forgot to type the full number.

4 SPIM08HP 3.7V 8AH LITHIUM POLYMER BATTERIES 25C 200A SUPER CELLS 24V 36V 48V on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-SPIM08HP-3-7V-8AH-LITHIUM-POLYMER-BATTERIES-25C-200A-SUPER-CELLS-24V-36V-48V-/183036786061?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276
10 of these in series would run my ebike. 37v Question: best way to charge them and do they need to be balance charged?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 10.16.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 10.16.21 AM.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 5,984
vagosofron said:

I've used these a good bit and I think 30A is safe non-continuous (used in 2s RC car); I've also done about 15-18A 30min continous and I believe they didn't get hot.

It's cool because a standard 18650 max discharge is about 5A so these handle about what the batteries can handle so its a good matchup (5Ax5=20A continuous, 30A max burst). At these ratings a regular 18650 will get hot more than the wires do. I also use wago connectors and they run fine (20A/32A max rating, not sure what difference this means but wago's are rated for AC)

I've bought and tested the fullriver LiFePO4's recently and came up with some pretty inconsistent results

I wasn't able to get close to 3300mAh capacity (by a long shot) about 85% of the time.

Some ratings came up between 1000 to 2500.

I was charging at 0.25A to 0.375A and discharging 1A first like I do with 18650's but these batteries seemed to like a 0.5A discharge (imax b6) to get much more capacity.

I'm going to further test with consistent results to see if I can get some consistent capacities or if these are just bad quality/damaged cells which would be a good reason why they're selling for cheap (near $1/cell) and the company seems to be non-existent I cannot even find a spec sheet on them!

But at your own risk

Fullriver%20LiFePO4's.jpg

Similarly disappointed with the Fullriver LiFe.
Preliminary iMax cycle test (3.6V >> 2.0V) proved out near 2000mAh. (3.65V is recommended charge)
Experimented with LiFe charge 3.6V >> LiIo discharge 3.0V with poor results.
Accidentally ran a cycle at LiIo 3.0V >> 4.10 and got 3000+ mAh!
DrkAngel said:
LiFePO4 Capacity "Map" Test

file.php
Will connect as 4s20p for cycle testing via inverter, through VAWAh meter.
Cycling cells multiple times might enhance-stabilize capacity-performance?
Will allow differing charge-discharge rates and voltages.
Will bulk charge with MeanWell and monitor banks with 6s volt meter.

Makes sense, any of these non-cobalt chemistry batteries perform badly which is why all Western based EVs use Cobalt based chemistries.
As far as I am concerned all non-cobalt chemistrys aren't made for ANY other reason other than to try and provide something thats better than Nickel–metal hydride but cheaper than anything lithium-cobalt based.

I know squat. Have never built a pack. But, I happened on this site and must say, I found it the max. Will ask no questions (now) as I back into this e-bike stuff, to learn how its is done by doing. Keep it up...

I already mentioned I know squat...Do I get it so far, with this DIY battery?

Intended for Bafang geared hub motor...250-watt to 500-watt. (Grin Kit) I guess depends.

I peddle mostly and have one short hill at end of ride. 4% one km or about .75 mile. Why the kit.

Battery pack design: 25s maybe 30s high-end 18650s.

Square, to fit below-seat bag.

1 BMS.

N.B. I have no desire to go fast on a bicycle and peddle mostly...small town here.

The above is not idle ?...I do/did research. Read all of above thread, some of which is over my head, but absorbed.

Had to retread HS physics a bit and redo my ideas...but thus far, the above seems to fit the plan.

Make sense?

"s" stands for number of cells in "series".
eg. 10 (3.6V lithium) cells in series (10s) equals 36V. electrical "pressure"
Additionally, cells are placed in parallel "p".
eg. 4 (2500mAh) cells in parallel (4p) equals 10,000mAh (10Ah). electrical "volume-capacity"
10s4p would be a 36V 10Ah battery. (40 cells)

DA, appreciate the note. I mix things up.

I screwed up and forgot to correct what I ended up changing. Thanks. Am learning, a bit at a time, but do know one learns most by doing...

The pack has or plans to be 30 (typed "18' in error) good 18650s...to make, if I have it right...a 10s3pack...10 in series x3 parallel or 10 long x 3 across, with matching BMS I have not yet bought; same with a 2-amp charger. I figure it will be

Just a slow going plan, I know nada and have changed a few things each time I do on paper...plan to acquire quality cells..,, if first pack works, with the controller etc Grin sent, with the 36v geared Bafang FW hub kit (Did not know what else to do.)

I do not plan to ride distance much. Just up the hill maybe a few miles out by river... sort of fun.

I have made 3 gas belt-driven bikes which were perfect, but noise and gas was not the best, so sold the rig and decided to go green on a Xootr bike, with the above for hill and play.

Well the plan is now changed...pack is two rows too long to fit into bag, so will have to redo to fit. Duh on me! We learn...slowly. Being a bit dyslectic makes the going slower, but more than once way to skin this cat! Plus I think snow is finally gone, but one never can be sure.

Still learning...back to 30 cells, took some time to receive.

Don't know how will house/bag on bike, but will work on it. Thirty cells, 3 across...i know basic...but we learn. 10s4p or 10s3p (?) pack...divided in half, if nec, to fit or arranged in some way to fit. As noted, am backing slowly into this. And, without this thread, slow progress here would be slower. BTW. not soldering or spot welding, but using the rigs for cells, so may have to go with square/rectangle shape for storage...glad I have not bought bag yet.

DrkAngel said:
Electric Wheel Barrel-Snow Plow

New Winter project!
Found an electric wheel barrel in the dumpster behind my store.

41PEB9SDA5L.jpg

2 larger drive wheels and a smaller bogie wheel.
(Dual motors for posi-traction)
Motors engage with handlebar lever.
I traced problems to a dead 12V 22Ah SLA and a faulty 40A relay.
Replaced relay and tested with 3sRC LiPo but was disappointed at the 2 mph top speed.

Fun begins ...
At 1st I considered running at 4s for a near 3mph but ... too simple and limited.
So, Why not run at 22.2V (6s 14p 22.2V 30.24Ah fits nicely!) with a pot controlled brush controller.
Will maintain handlebar oem relay function or replace with controller on\off circuit?
Variable <1mph - >3mph

50V brush.jpg - $8
Now ... I don't have much use for a wheel barrel, but adding a plow to the front would be a great snow moving utensil!
Torque and speed should be appropriate.
Just have to add some weight. Sand or bags of salt? ... Rated for 200lb loads.
Chains?

Summer use
Mount rear 2 wheeled platform for standing on and cruising, with load, down the street.

Upper (green potion) removable by screws or add sideboards to upper portion ...

Battery compartment and motors-drivetrains remove as single component for alternate use!

LUV motor.jpg
Replaced heavy SLA with 3s12p Sony LiPo.
12V 22Ah SLA upgraded to 11.1V 25.92Ah LiPo.
Built from 3s2p packs with all cells equal after initial balance last year.
I built a 5-30V LED volt meter with standard 12V DC charger plug for monitoring voltage through charging port.

"Donated" to local food pantry and hauled a dozen loads of topsoil with a 25% drop in voltage.
Rebuilding their Community Garden. Many wooden "raised beds" rotting after 8 years of service.
I've been redesigning and rebuilding with 8" cement blocks. Should last for decades-lifetimes with minimal maintenance!
Holes in blocks should make excellent "pots" for various flowers, herbs, small plants.
Marigolds and petunias repel most harmful insects, found some dwarf Dill that is even more effective, might have to prune-harvest continually. Started ♫ Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme ♫ as well as Oregano, Basil, Lemon Balm for 6" x 6" x 8" holes ... with good soil. Lined block holes in 3rd and 4th beds with tar paper to slow evaporation through blocks. And, hopefully Lime based cement blocks will deter snails and slugs from climbing into beds.

Charged back up. 8 cubic yards of topsoil being delivered today ...

Electric Wheelbarrel Battery Upgrade - Update

Moved about 4 cubic yards of topsoil, about 30 x 150' round trips, half with ~200lb, half empty.
12.3V full to 11.6V, about 50% of 25.92Ah pack.
25.92Ah is oem new rated, actual probably still greater than 20Ah, even with moderated charge voltage.
Wheel barrel with "new" lipo battery, certainly, a very usable tool!

DrkAngel said:
25.9V 26.4Ah #1 finished

7s12p Samsung cells are capable of 120A continuous 240A surge but controllers are <30A and installed 40A fuse (trying new 58V fuses & holder)
Just finished 1, had to test drive it ... rain stopped for awhile.
No BMS installed! Turned out were only 20A continuous.
Mostly worried about parasitic draw when customers let set for the Winter.

file.php

10s2p Bricks disassembled into 8s2p + 2s2p and I was oh so tempted to build as 8s12p ... but needed for 24V bikes and I already have the 7s chargers.
file.php

25.9V 26.4Ah #2 nearly complete
Just need to run the parallels and power rails and install fuse.
Samsung eZip pack builds ... both doing very nice.
Mine is holding balance nicely and sold one just passed Spring checkup!
New owner of my rebuilt 2009 eZip LS is very happy.
12ga wheel rebuild doing great with geared down 24V 450w motor (14mph 25.9V @ ~485w for HD load or hills.)
Samsung ICR18650-22p cell doing excellent in all builds, so far. Wish I'd bought another 20 36V 4.4Ah packs!!!

2015 eZip LPo build, for other neighbor tuned up and doing great.
Upgraded him in 2015 with 16T freewheel and 25.9V LiPo battery for a comfortable 20 mph.
Now he wants more speed ... hmmm.
Could gear him for 23 or 27mph, but would stress the Laptop LiPo!
Could bump him up to 37V for a near 30mph, but would waste the 25.9V build.
Think I'll just change his speedometer from MPH to KPH ... charge him $50 ?

Back