My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Hmmm.... I don't see the difference in the motor except the the difference in Orange and Silver Bafang name plate.

My Bafang plate was in silver colour too, exactly same as yours 500 watts and it was the 1st generation 1000watts wirh Nylon Drive Head. However, Bafang send me the extra "Steel Drive Head" When did you bought your bike with 500watts? Mine was about 6 mths old.

I am just doing my Fray AM1000 order! :) Cant wait to get that bike... Btw can someone tell for me is framesize L okey for me if I am 180cm long? And I forget to ask that bike weight so does anybody know what is the bike total weight with 1000w motor?

Mantsos said:
I am just doing my Fray AM1000 order! :) Cant wait to get that bike... Btw can someone tell for me is framesize L okey for me if I am 180cm long? And I forget to ask that bike weight so does anybody know what is the bike total weight with 1000w motor?

I'm 183cm and I'm really glad I got the large. Weight: 30kg

hoojsn said:
Hmmm.... I don't see the difference in the motor except the the difference in Orange and Silver Bafang name plate.

My Bafang plate was in silver colour too, exactly same as yours 500 watts and it was the 1st generation 1000watts wirh Nylon Drive Head. However, Bafang send me the extra "Steel Drive Head" When did you bought your bike with 500watts? Mine was about 6 mths old.

Based on experience with the BBSxx, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Bafang paired the same core motor hardware with a "1000 watt" controller or simply tested it at higher power, confirmed it could handle it, and changed its nominal power rating.

I have a Luna BBSHD labeled 750 watts and a generic BBSHD labeled 1000 watts. As far as I can tell after taking them apart, they are physically identical, both external and internal components. I think the "750" was based on Luna programming it to be "legal" in the USA.

Anyway, I'll compare the controller ratings using the software and see what they say. The FAT1000 says Nominal Voltage: 48V, Maximum Current: 30A, which is 1440 watts. I can check the white Frey with the software when I get home.

UPDATE: the white Frey with the G510.500 has a controller that is also model SW12 (sine wave 12?), but it is hardware version 1.0 as opposed to version 1.3 on the G510.1000. Both are nominal voltage 48V, maximum current 30A.

Cheers,
Sean
Orinda, CA

With the two DPC-18 displays that came with the Freys, they have the ability to select default mode of either Sport or Eco, but this feature replaced the ability to change the number of PAS levels, so I'm stuck with 5 levels unless I can figure out a workaround.

Also, the BMS screens on the DPC-18 don't show any information. I think this is a common issue until a BMS is released that is compatible.

Cheers,
Sean
Orinda, CA

Hi all,

to any who ordered these to the EU, did you have to provide a VAT or EORI nr as a private individual?

Regards,
H

DaninSpain said:
Mantsos said:

I'm 183cm and I'm really glad I got the large. Weight: 30kg

Thank you! Good to know that. I choosed frame size L also so that would be ok for me.

Hardcore said:
Hi all,

to any who ordered these to the EU, did you have to provide a VAT or EORI nr as a private individual?

Regards,
H

In Finland you have to pay VATs (24%) + customs payments 6% = 30%. :cry: I dont know what it could be in other countries. So that bike coming to cost for me totally something 4258 EUR / 5058 USD. So I hope that bike is good because that is not cheap... You will get many other good ebikes from that price. Only reasons why I did that order is that Frey offer bigger motor and battery what other retailers in europe.

[/quote]

In Finland you have to pay VATs (24%) + customs payments 6% = 30%. :cry: I dont know what it could be in other countries. So that bike coming to cost for me totally something 4258 EUR / 5058 USD. So I hope that bike is good because that is not cheap... You will get many other good ebikes from that price. Only reasons why I did that order is that Frey offer bigger motor and battery what other retailers in europe.
[/quote]

You never know, you might have a nice surprise ;) Anyway, the bike is good. Long after you get over the shock of spending the money, you will have a nice bike to ride.

Frey offer two different size/width tires 2.4" and 2.8+". Can someone tell for me what could be a best choice? 2.8" tire width sounds for me little bit too much. What is the typical tire width what people are using on the mountain bikes?

E: I read from the internet that "Most mountain bike tire widths are specified in inches, which typically range from 2.0 to 2.4 inches for cross-country and trail bikes, while enduro and downhill bikes will have even wider tires"

That is really difficult to choice right tires. Maybe I have to go visit in some bike shops and make some own comparisons.

E2: I choosed width 2.4 because I don't always drive only forest.

Hi Mantsos,
I haven't ridden a Frey, but I rode a Specialized Turbo Levo with 2.8" tyres and thought it worked really well. With the extra power of the AM1000 I would expect it to get better grip offroad with the wider tyres. Of course it depends what type of riding you do, how soft the ground is etc.
If someone has ridden the Frey with both widths, they would be able to comment about the differences.

Hi Mantsos,

I wanted to let you know that I think the 2.8 tires work well as was stated before and I think it is from the additional weight. My previous ebike I had 2.4 tires on and squeezed in 2.8 tires and found the ride much more stable, again I think it is because of the extra weight.

On a side note: I did upgrade the wheels to Stans No Tubes Sentry MK3 wheels and Schwalbe Knobby Nic 2.8 tires and took off almost 3 lbs which was rotational weight so a good place to upgrade.

Cheers,
Fred

Mantsos said:
Frey offer two different size/width tires 2.4" and 2.8+". Can someone tell for me what could be a best choice? 2.8" tire width sounds for me little bit too much. What is the typical tire width what people are using on the mountain bikes?

E: I read from the internet that "Most mountain bike tire widths are specified in inches, which typically range from 2.0 to 2.4 inches for cross-country and trail bikes, while enduro and downhill bikes will have even wider tires"

That is really difficult to choice right tires. Maybe I have to go visit in some bike shops and make some own comparisons.

E2: I choosed width 2.4 because I don't always drive only forest.

Thanks Dalysea for the pictures
is there any way of attaching mudguards on the front and back? For commuting this would be essential, and as motorized bikes go faster you get more dirt in the air....
Usually they attach to brake calipers & eyelets at the dropouts, but from the photos its hard to see if they can be added to the bike.

Thank you for the answers! I did my choice and I will try first 2.4" width tyres. Larger could be a better in the forrest etc. but I ride also sometimes on the streets so 2.4" could be a better then there.. :roll:

icehunter said:
Thanks Dalysea for the pictures
is there any way of attaching mudguards on the front and back? For commuting this would be essential, and as motorized bikes go faster you get more dirt in the air....
Usually they attach to brake calipers & eyelets at the dropouts, but from the photos its hard to see if they can be added to the bike.

I'll transfer over my Mucky Nutz front mud guard and the mud guard I have in the back on my other bike and see if they fit okay.

UPDATE: The Mucky Nutz worked on the bluto fork on the FAT1000, but didn't work well on the Yari fork with 3 inch tire on the AM1000 - not enough clearance IMHO. You could probably bend it into shape over time so it conforms more to the curve of the fork by tightening the velcro straps. I'm pretty sure it would be okay on a 2.8 tire. You should also ask the people who got the Lyrik fork.

Hello,
I just wanted to know if any of the AM1000 owners ever had anyone in the area and also made small to medium leaps. Not just forest roads.
All right or did anyone ever have problems with the bike?

My $2k order should be here on Wednesday. I forgot about batteries that could be shipping separately. Will post pics on unboxing!

Yesterday, May 14th, 2018 — a date which will live in infamy — the Frey FAT1000 was suddenly but not deliberately attacked by an elevator door located at the BART train station owned and operated by the Republic of California. The attack yesterday on the Frey FAT1000 has caused severe damage to the brake lever. I regret to tell you that rear brake functionality has been lost. As a member of the Frey community, I ask that all measures be taken for our defense. But always will our whole community remember the character of the onslaught against us. No matter how long it may take us to overcome this unpremeditated invasion, the Frey people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory. I believe that I interpret the will of the Frey people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost, but will make it very certain that this form of treachery shall never again endanger us. Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our bicycles, and our brake levers are in grave danger.
- Franklin "Frey" Roosevelt

brake_lever.jpg

brake2.jpg

Hi

My current bike is a 250w 36v bafang hub hardtail.
I like light MTB's and use it predominantly riding to office and having fun on the way. My daily commute is about 8km
Therefore i've got only 5Ah 42v battery, that gets me to the office for two days, but i usually charge it every day, like my smartphone

I was planning to build a BBSHD on full suspension carbon frame with small battery, but then i found AM1000.

I might be the future customer, but my new bike would have had following features, that AM1000 is currently missing, and maybe Frey is considering those.

-some sort of embedded SIM card and phone network capability with GPS for basic IoT. If you build or buy a 4000$ bike it needs to have some sort of tracking capability, so you get info when the bike gets moved or stolen.
Nowasays you can buy 15$ kids watch that has GPS tracking over GSM GPRS, so the technology is cheap.

-optional smaller battery to decrease weight (although the bike is so powerful, maybe the weight is not an issue)

I just got my bike assembly started and I have run into an issue. The chain came off of the main gear and is wedged in between the gear and the motor.

Any idea best way to get it out of there? Loosen the motor (it looks like there are two screws but I think they have a good amount of loctite on them)? Or how can I get the main gear off?

Thanks in advance.

Adova said:
Nvm - got it figured out - just pulled harder than I would have wanted to.

I had this problem too. I found that standing next to the bike and slowly backing it up while pedaling backward help me get the chain 'unstuck.'

Back