E-bike restricted trail access and hate

The painted bike lanes work well in my little city of 20,000 in a large City I bet its completely different. Here , before the lanes were in the drivers fully believed the pavement was there property alone. Rednecks anyhow the day the bike lanes were painted in was the day the city respected cyclists. It was bad before the lanes were in , drivers honking for no reason etc

amberwolf said:
Raisedeyebrows said:
News reports with stuff like this helped get the word out about stopping when drivers see the obnoxiously bright flashing lights:

"A decoy pedestrian crossed the street, and officers stopped drivers that failed to yield.
Officers say failing to yield to a pedestrian would normally come with a $250 fine. In just four hours police stopped 45 cars and 5 pedestrians for failing to use a crosswalk correctly."

Around here, there are places I'd expect them to ticket people for using the signals and crosswalk as intended, for "obstructing the flow of traffic". :roll:

But in reality I don't think they'd ever put them in in the first place.

I suspect the only time they even add crosswalks, or traffic signals, is when there's enough fatalities to "justify" the cost.

Scottsdale sometimes installs signaled (red lights) crosswalks where there are no car traffic intersections. The have one on Scottsdale Road, South of Greenway Hayden Loop. They also have on on Northsight, south of Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd. And at the Northsight/Hayden road roundabout, they do have flashing lights for crosswalks similar to the ones above. I use them on my commute rather than right through the two lane roundabout. But few motorists seem to notice and stop when they are flashing.

I think Phoenix has a red light for the crosswalk on Bethany Home Rd and north 4th Place.

So, these things are rare in the Phoenix metro area, but not unheard of.
https://goo.gl/maps/GkEWHigLpKE2

Scottsdale recently built a very expensive underpass on Shea Blvd just east of 124th street for pedestrians, cyclists and horses. Google maps shows an early construction phase. This is construction of the long ramp leading down to the crossing tunnel. It is now completed. An underpass like this is great for separating pedestrians from traffic and allowing crossings without disturbing traffic. But I always wonder about the safety of tunnels like these where any activity is well hidden from view. I stopped and walked through it a month or so ago.

https://goo.gl/maps/qToPkekT4aM2
This should give an idea of the cost.
http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/Asset66391.aspx

[note: in reading the bid request I now realize that the actual crossing has been there for a while. This project I was aware of simply improved access and connected the trails.]

^^ "for pedestrians, cyclists and horses"... Nice that they allow large animals to wander around by themselves... :wink:

LockH said:
^^ "for pedestrians, cyclists and horses"... Nice that they allow large animals to wander around by themselves... :wink:

I believe horses are required to bring a rider or leash holder - though I could be wrong.

^^ DANG. I knew it... always a catch. :roll:

ps... :lol:

amberwolf said:
Around here, there are places I'd expect them to ticket people for using the signals and crosswalk as intended, for "obstructing the flow of traffic". :roll:

I suspect the only time they even add crosswalks, or traffic signals, is when there's enough fatalities to "justify" the cost.

Cruised by on lunch and confirmed that they appear to have the same system at the Hayden/Northsight traffic circle. Scottsdale does seem much more focused on things like this than Phoenix.

Flashing_crosswalk_sm.jpg

eCue said:
Equestrian crossing would be correct :D

Horses for courses ... ;^)

wturber said:
amberwolf said:

Cruised by on lunch and confirmed that they appear to have the same system at the Hayden/Northsight traffic circle. Scottsdale does seem much more focused on things like this than Phoenix.

Flashing_crosswalk_sm.jpg

Well it's good they are starting to install those things, the cops can really up the effectiveness if they put the word out it's a painful citation for ignoring them. There's hope for places like Phoenix and LA if stuff like that gets recognized as being valuable for safety and green commuting.

wturber said:
Scottsdale sometimes installs signaled (red lights) crosswalks where there are no car traffic intersections.
The only ones I remember runnibng across are at schools. Some of them used to operate only during school hours or on school days; I dont know if that has changed or not. Its been about 4-5 years since I rode in areas where most of those were.

The one near me at Dunlap / between 31st and 35th ave is for Cortez HS and park west of there, and it does operate anytime--I use it very very occasionally but its designed for pedestrians. IIRC there used to be bollards spaced too closely for anything but a narrow wheelchair or bike to fit thru (my trailers/trike wouldnt). I dont know if theyre still there as its been years since I last paid attention to it as I passed it (I generally ride only on the street, unless traffic is too dangerous to be in the main street and theres no back street to use instead)

EDIT: Google streetview shows theyve changed to a fence with a wide opening, I think I might be able to get the trike thru but not likely with a trailer (even the narrow ones).
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5676385,-112.1316635,3a,75y,158.18h,64.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgx8QblC2oxv2GqxY0N7lgg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Scottsdale recently built a very expensive underpass on Shea Blvd just east of 124th street for pedestrians, cyclists and horses.
<snip>
But I always wonder about the safety of tunnels like these where any activity is well hidden from view. I stopped and walked through it a month or so ago.
Sounds like the underpasses along the Arizona Canal (?) path that runs more or less diagonally across the valley from southeast to northwest. You can ride from at least 7th st & dunlap almost to Arrowhead mall without crossing any roads, including the i17 freeway...as long as you can get thru the tunnels with the various things that get stored in them by people (usually shopping carts full of their posessions). The part I worry about when I need to use them is that sometimes other people go there to harass those that have few other shady places to be, and those other people are sometimes dangerous types.

I rarely encounter pedestrians walking thru these underpass tunnels, probably because of the above, these days. When they first started building them, and up until a few years ago, there were some times of day especially on weekends that it was a lot safer and faster to cross streets because thered be a wall of strollers/joggers/etc across the whole tunnel, and cyclists or equestrians coming down the ramps into the darkness from the bright sunlight couldnt see them, and somebody would often crash or get hurt, since there was nowhere to go and no way to just stop coming down that slope, even at slower speeds, since thered usually be sand or dirt or powdery dried (or wet) mud on the concrete in spots.

I dont see any horses at all these days, though sometimes the SRP golfcars and trucks drive thru the tunnels (and sometimes seem to expect anyone in their way to somehow magically reverse and speed back the way they came to get out of their way).

If I were on a regular bicycle, there are some of these tunnels I would never ride thru now, and would rather face the trying and sometimes dangerous street crossings instead. On my larger CrazyBike2 and SB Cruiser trike, with power to accelerate (not just maintain speed) even up the underpass exit slopes (which can be pretty steep), Im a little more confident at being able to get away from a situation but I still usually stop before I go in to let my eyes adjust to the darkness and let my headlight show me whats down there, if for no other reason than to ensure I wont plow into a pile of stuff stored there, but even more to show me *who* is down there.

At night, Id usually rather cross the streets, as theres less traffic and if the gaps are narrower than Id prefer, at least they can clearly see me with all my lights on there (they can see me in daytime too but at nigth I look "bigger" due to the lighting vs the surroundings, and drivers are more likely to hesitate before doing something stupid (like accelerating to ensure an intersection of paths, when if they maintain their speed Id be well out of the way before they get there)).

Thanks Susan Arbetter and Capitol Press Room for bringing attention to pending legislation to legalize Class 1 e-bikes in NY. http://www.wcny.org/april-19-2018-paul-winkeller/?mc_cid=baaf1b4cff&mc_eid=d9eaf8be98

sendler2112 said:
Thanks Susan Arbetter and Capitol Press Room for bringing attention to pending legislation to legalize Class 1 e-bikes in NY. http://www.wcny.org/april-19-2018-paul-winkeller/?mc_cid=baaf1b4cff&mc_eid=d9eaf8be98

Hehe... So the ES thread "Persecuting E-Bikes in New York City" doesn't "turn your crank"? (Endless Sphere pretty vast.) :wink:

NY will be like EU, 250w pedal assist?

May the mayor, choke in the gas fumes that he does promote. :wink:

Back