Controller to throttle and digital voltmeter panel

banora

1 mW
Hi guys newbie to the forum here.

I decided to build my own scooter and bought most of the parts online.
I'll be running a dual motor/controller setup.
Everything has arrived and i'm excited to put them together. However i ran into some problems

Firstly the connectors for the throttle is different. Instead of getting new connectors, can i just solder the wires together?
Second, both my motors and controllers have hall sensors on them, but the ones on my motor doesn't have connectors. Again, can i just solder them together?
Third, On my controller, there's a 3-speed gear wire. I'm not sure if the 3-speed gear wire needs to be connected to anything.
And finally the hardest problem i have encountered.
I have a digital voltmeter panel with key ignition (basically my On/Off switch). And on my controllers, there's a single red On/Off wire.
I want to somehow connect the voltmeter panel to my controller to be able to monitor the voltage and also be able to turn On/Off my scooter.
I've tried searching online for help but to no avail.
Hope you guys can help me out here.

Cheers!

P.S. Not sure if i should add pictures but let me know if i need to.

soldering is ok as long as you do it properly. sometimes it's good to start with those thing below before soldering
img-1608-145515-650-325.jpg

the red cable of your controller should be energized (battery "+") for ur controller to be "on", I don't know if it can be connected to your voltmeter panel.

The red wire i mentioned is not the main battery lines. It's an entirely separate single red wire that has chinese lettering on it which i can make out. It stands for power. So i'm wondering if that wire can be connected to my voltmeter panel.

Your controller sounds pretty typical. Yes you can solder the wires as long as you make sure they are the right ones.

For the ignition line, you place your on/off switch between the skinny red wire and the fat red wire. The meter can go to the skinny one so it gets turned off with the ignition.

The 3 speed switch generally defaults to speed 2 if you don't connect it. There are 3 wires, one is a ground. If you ground one wire you get speed 1. Grounding the other wire gives speed 3.

fechter said:
Your controller sounds pretty typical. Yes you can solder the wires as long as you make sure they are the right ones.

For the ignition line, you place your on/off switch between the skinny red wire and the fat red wire. The meter can go to the skinny one so it gets turned off with the ignition.

The 3 speed switch generally defaults to speed 2 if you don't connect it. There are 3 wires, one is a ground. If you ground one wire you get speed 1. Grounding the other wire gives speed 3.

So that means to say i would need to solder the thin red wire together to my on/off switch and to my main battery line (positive)?

Controller wires.jpg
This is my controller with it's wires if it helps.
It's a Yuyang King YKZ7250JG with bluetooth module already connected.
As i'm going with a 2-WD setup, everything just confuses the heck out of me. Not to mention everything is in chinese.
As of now, i know how to connect the throttle wires to the ones on the controllers.
But the ignition switch is just driving me crazy since i cant turn in on/off.
Wuxing throttle.png
Throttle i'm using.
Voltmeter.png
Ignition switch i will be using.

You need to install a switch between the main battery + wire and the red ignition wire:

Controller wires1.jpg

This can be almost any switch as the current is low. The main battery + wire can stay connected to the battery.

Below is an instruction manual for a Yuyang King controller. Probably a different model, but most of the wiring will be similar.
View attachment YUYANG KING series BLDC motor controller user manual.pdf

So i should solder the red wire on my ignition switch to the main battery line (+) and the thin red wire?
And should i make a cut on the main battery line (+) ?
What about the rest of the wire on the ignition switch? The black and green ones.

do has Fechter showed, (that's what I meant initially, I usually just solder the ignition thin wire on the power line, yes with a careful cut, and some heat shrink around, but if you really want an ignition switch, put it there ) I am not aware of any additional wires for an ignition switch

Thanks guys, i'm gonna go ahead and try it out.
Those extra two wires are red and black so i would assume it's to power on the led indicator.
As I'm running a 2-WD system, do i only need to do the connections on 1 controller or do i have to do both?

I've just tried what you guys said but it's not working. I tried wiring my on/off switch's red and black wire to the alarm's red and black wire and the green wire to the thin red wire on my controller. It seemed to work but only the on/off switch's led is turned on permanently. Tried pulling the throttle but the motors aren't spinning. Battery connectors did the usual arc/spark when i plug it in tho.

I have no clue how your switch works as it is more than just a switch. There should be some instructions somewhere for it.

I would guess the 3rd wire is for the LED. If you have an ohmmeter, you could disconnect the switch and measure between the wires to figure out exactly which ones go to the switch contacts. It sounds like you have the LED going across the where the switch contacts should be. Randomly trying combinations of wires is a good way to blow things up.

Back