Ping Battery vs Golden Motor Canada

adamsavage79

100 W
I'm just wondering if anyone has used a Golden Motor Canada Battery pack and can share the exp with it. Lately I've noticed my pack is simply not getting the range it used to anymore. The BMS is tripping at around 51.7 - 50.9. Seems once the pack reaches the 51.7 Voltage, it drops off very quickly.

There is about a 3 pound difference from Golden Motor pack, vs BMS. The Golden Motor pack is already in Canada, so I can avoid any sort of Brokerage fee's, on top of the taxes I would have to pay, and I would get it much faster. I'm not famlair with the type of cell's Golden Motor uses, but I know Ping uses flat cells and that looks to be very tricky to replace a single or group of cells. With the pack being around 3 years old, it's likely not worth replacing groups of cells at this point.

So with that, it would seem I'm due for pack replacement.

I don't have any experience with ping, but I sure read a lot about them.

They seem to have badly matched cells, so after the pack gets older a cell group just shuts down much earlier.
And replacing the weak cell isn't a solution IMO because you just added a fresh cell to a bunch of old ones.

I would go with the other seller.

But I personally like using cells from the Chevy volt and Nissan Leaf to build my own packs. Because all of those cells are top notch, and matched perfectly.

eee291 said:
I don't have any experience with ping, but I sure read a lot about them.

They seem to have badly matched cells, so after the pack gets older a cell group just shuts down much earlier.
And replacing the weak cell isn't a solution IMO because you just added a fresh cell to a bunch of old ones.

I would go with the other seller.

But I personally like using cells from the Chevy volt and Nissan Leaf to build my own packs. Because all of those cells are top notch, and matched perfectly.

I was not aware of that. Do you have links that I could read up on ? They are typically highly praised.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93983&p=1379615&hilit=ping+battery#p1379615
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=93700&p=1371409&hilit=ping+battery#p1371409
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=89798&p=1309037&hilit=ping+battery#p1309037

That's it for me. I'm sure people who have actually used Ping batteries can inform you better.

Hmmm. That does remind of the strange configuration of the battery pack. It's using a large number of small flat battery packs, vs larger individual cells.

I added a Golden Motor kit to a friend's bike about 6+ years ago and they are using the Golden Motor 48V10AH LiFePO4 battery. The first few years were not easy on the pack since it was often drained until it cut out (low voltage protection on BMS). Last year I had to remove the key switch for them since they lost the key. I was impressed with the quality of the battery overall when I removed it from the case. I asked how the battery life was doing compared to when it was new and it still had lots of life left in it. If I was to hazard a guess I'd say it still has about 80+ % capacity left compared to new. I would recommend a GM battery if it suits you needs.

pwd said:
I added a Golden Motor kit to a friend's bike about 6+ years ago and they are using the Golden Motor 48V10AH LiFePO4 battery. The first few years were not easy on the pack since it was often drained until it cut out (low voltage protection on BMS). Last year I had to remove the key switch for them since they lost the key. I was impressed with the quality of the battery overall when I removed it from the case. I asked how the battery life was doing compared to when it was new and it still had lots of life left in it. If I was to hazard a guess I'd say it still has about 80+ % capacity left compared to new. I would recommend a GM battery if it suits you needs.

I've had low voltage protection happen often, though I try my best to avoid it. Sometimes it can't be helped. You don't account for wind, or you when further than you thought, or there was some diff variables.

My friend purchased a Ping battery about two years ago, and it wasn't right from the beginning; now, it's dead. Made inquiries with Ping about the quality problem to no avail.

2old said:
My friend purchased a Ping battery about two years ago, and it wasn't right from the beginning; now, it's dead. Made inquiries with Ping about the quality problem to no avail.

My pack was acting quite strange today after the charge. The BMS lights where blinking back and forth for almost a hour, and the voltage from the discharge plus was not matching the voltage, from the charging plug. It wasn't until both voltages matched, that I was able to use the battery. I did have some duct tape touching the flat battery cells on the side, and when I removed that. Suddenly voltage jumped up to match the charging port. It could very well be just a coincidence.

if your battery is cutting out early it because a group of cells is you need to balance the pack hitting lvc before the others. you could leave it on the charger for a day or more and let the bms balance the pack over a very long time on the charger. yes after the light turns green. Or you can measure all 16 cells and write down on paper. if a couple high cells you can drain with a car brake blub. or if a low cell you can charge just one cell. Many threads on how to balance a Ping battery here on E.S.

999zip999 said:
if your battery is cutting out early it because a group of cells is you need to balance the pack hitting lvc before the others. you could leave it on the charger for a day or more and let the bms balance the pack over a very long time on the charger. yes after the light turns green. Or you can measure all 16 cells and write down on paper. if a couple high cells you can drain with a car brake blub. or if a low cell you can charge just one cell. Many threads on how to balance a Ping battery here on E.S.

Posting reply here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=94234&p=1379835#p1379835

What do you guys think of this Battery pack ? The specs seem to be pretty close to Ping Battery.

http://www.evassemble.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=178

I'd take those specs with a grain of salt, most of the 40152 LiFePO cells I know of only have are 1C or 15amp output, meaning a 1P pack would only be good for 15amps, not the 45amps listed.

Grautuefel said:
I'd take those specs with a grain of salt, most of the 40152 LiFePO cells I know of only have are 1C or 15amp output, meaning a 1P pack would only be good for 15amps, not the 45amps listed.

Good to know!

eee291
I also use EV/hibrid cells for my battery pack.
I agree - they are top notch , even from wrecked/written off cars.
DIY cannot buy such cells new, no way.
I have build 11S packs from Leaf cells for my both ebikes, no BMS.
How did you get your cells, did you buy modules.
I bought modules from HybridAuto Centre.

Back