“How to suppress an 18650 battery pack fire”

garolittle

10 kW
BACKGROUND:Here are the main components of my electric go kart...
Brand new Samsung INR18650-25R cells (20Amps maximum continuous discharge)
Battery packs: Using the Samsung cells, I plan to have two separate 20S10P packs connected in parallel
Motor: 72V Motenergy Brushless Motor (ME0201014201). Continuous current - approximately 50 - 60 amps at 72V
Charge Controller: Sabvoton (svmc72150) DC Current Limit: 100A
ISSUE: I know that lithium ion battery pack fires are very dangerous and almost impossible to extinguish. However, if I wrapped each battery pack in the following product, would this help “suppress” a battery pack fire so that the driver would have a few extra moments to get away safely?

http://www.electro-wind.com/rochling-glastic-gpo3-utr-1494-red-1-16x48x96.html

Basically each battery pack would be shrink wrapped and then wrapped in the fiberglass product as seen in the link above. Finally the entire set up would be placed into a metal casing which would serve as the battery holder. Thanks for any suggestions you may have. :?:

Consider using an intumescent material between and around the cells. It will hold the fire back for a while and buy you time.
Firestop is a popular material.

Otherwise polycarbonate is a fire-suppressing / self extinguishing material which can work well in the right structure.

what kind of fireball are you expecting?

you need to puncture each cell and really put some effort in them in order to get even a single one to even smoke.
in the case of a crash that would destroy the battery pack you would basically end up with a few dozen cells flying (away from the vehicle).

dont think you wil get a massive fireball as soon as you hit something. unless the battery is made by ACME. :wink:
if you build the case of sturdy alu sheet and insulate the inside with sticky dense foam and i wish you many happy miles.
prehaps put a extra bar in front of the side to protect it more during low speed crashes or hard "contact" during racing.

If the pack is completely enclosed in a vented metal box, the vent will be the only place where smoke/flame can come out. Aim the vent in a safe direction. The fire in a lithium battery is primarily the flammable solvent burning with air. If the air is kept away from the solvent, you can prevent flames. By the time solvent vapor reaches the vent, it is hopefully cooled to below the self-ignition temperature.

A battery pack will burn at 800-1000°C.

Wrapping it in that stuff will make a dangerous and toxic fire i9nto a dangerous and very toxic fire.

Themal runaway prevention should be done on a cell by cell base. This is an important security advantage of using small 18650 cells, 99.99% of battery cell builders are just throwing away.

Passively Thermal Runaway Propagation Resistant Battery Module that Achieves > 190 Wh/kg

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20160003490.pdf

Back