6 wire alternator conversion

baldytron

100 µW
I have two nice alternators I would like to use as BLDC motors for some mini go karts.
But these have six wires and I cant figure out if or how to use them :?

Wires 1,2 and 3 have continuity with each other (green)
wires 4,5 and 6 have continuity with each other (blue)

Any ideas ?
ffffff.JPG

Most alternators are 6 phase. 2x3 phases. So 2 separate motors basically.

no problem. but how are you planning on using a BLDC drive controller when a standard alternator uses brushes?

You would need to power the field winding or replace it with permanent magnets to use it as a motor.

Simplest is to power the field windings. Most take around 2A @12v. 24W of wasted power.

For testing, you could use a 12v power supply to power the field, then spin the shaft and measure the voltage between your wires to determine the phasing.

It doesn't have 6 phases. It's just that the end of the windings hasn't been terminated as Delta or WYE. Do your termination in whichever configuration you desire, leaving you with 3 phase wires.

John in CR said:
It doesn't have 6 phases. It's just that the end of the windings hasn't been terminated as Delta or WYE. Do your termination in whichever configuration you desire, leaving you with 3 phase wires.

There would be continuity in pairs if the windings are not terminated. He has continuity between 3 wires.

Good point. It's been so long since I fooled with cars, I didn't know 6 phase alternators even existed. It sounds like a good candidate for a pair of sensorless controllers.

Cheers guys :D
I was planning on using a sensorless bldc controller and a brushed controller for the field coil.
I have added some more pics and I sacrificed one for fun
This is how the wires are joined

View attachment 2
once they are cut I am left with 3 groups of 4 wires these have continuity in pairs
20180316_150656_1521237671527_resized.jpg
With the pairs marked in color
uij.jpg

They where terminated in star, which is pretty nice. No parasitic recirculating current and you can use higher voltage. I can be wrong, but it looks like the winding sets are shifted, you will need to use 2 controllers in different timing, hopefully they will not interfere/trigger each other.
Can you show the bridge rectifier used on this Gen?

parabellum said:
Can you show the bridge rectifier used on this Gen?
No sorry destroyed them, it was the first part I binned.

I only have one controler at the moment so I can not test.
But this video gives me hope
[youtube]LgRK4_4ElhU[/youtube]

I am starting my own project, 1995 Ram 1500 alternator from junkyard.

Bought myself a brushed controller off of Amazon 36V 500W because it would be shipped to my place within 2 days, hopefully.

I was planning on using the brushed controller for the phases, and just powering field with 9-12V separate battery. I got everything ready to go, waiting on brushed controller.
Ideally I'd use a Greentime controller 48V 1000W, SENSORLESS of course. Then I can use regular ebike throttle.

This is my junky ebike, lock it up and be away from it for hours. Workout at the gym, go to the mall, library.

Will the alternator motor conversion have enough power to go 1.25 miles up a 1% grade with 375lbs?

Round trip of course, half is downhill, so say 3 miles total, I have plenty of battery.

edit - Of course I checked out Hobbyking, but their high voltage esc's are expensive. Not sure if the 1-6S esc's are even worth it for my application, but they do have high amps usually 60A-100A so thats what must make up the difference, plus they are so small. Everyone that does this alt-motor conv on yt, just rides around on flat ground for a minute.

Your alternator, if it had 6 posts before the diodes/rectifier, then yeah its just two ends of one phase, with 3 phases so 6. My controller has 4 posts before rect so its wye terminated. 3 posts would be delta. I would love to know which one is better suited (wye or delta, or your 6 post) for ebiking. Of course your 6 post can be terminated either way you wish, wye or delta very easily.

baldytron said:
I was planning on using a sensorless bldc controller and a brushed controller for the field coil.

20180316_150344_1521237669735_resized.jpg
once they are cut I am left with 3 groups of 4 wires these have continuity in pairs
20180316_150656_1521237671527_resized.jpg
uij.jpg

Hi!
Not sure this is the correct thread for this, but:

I got myself a random alternator as a project for motor conversion. Turns out it has three groups of wires with four in each.
In each group there is continuity in two separate pairs of wires.
So now I'm not sure how, or if this can be wired as a three phase motor to be used with a bldc controller - or if I accidentally got a six phase alternator which would require two controllers.. Any ideas?
Thanks!

View attachment 2
View attachment 230335
View attachment 230336
Red green together, long red inside yellow outside yellow to inside white. Long green to inside blue outside blue to insidepink. Pink to yellow on controller greenred to blue white to green 48/72v apply 9-12v 3amp to stator
Estimate run amp 30phase 15line no load at
5300rpm recommend 60-200ah and e fan cooling

Red green together, long red inside yellow outside yellow to inside white. Long green to inside blue outside blue to insidepink. Pink to yellow on controller greenred to blue white to green 48/72v apply 9-12v 3amp to stator
Estimate run amp 30phase 15line no load at
5300rpm recommend 60-200ah and e fan cooling
what is the best controller you have found for the job.

Back