DIY Battery for bike light

idx

1 µW
Hi Guys.
I'm still learning, and cannot figure out how much Amps battery do I need to introduce light to my bike, Front, rear and possibly side and stop lights.

For example if all lights will be 12V, I know the lights itself consumes different power, but can you direct me with examples of led an bulb lamps. Completely newbie in this area.
Thanks a lot.

Youd need to know what the power rating of the actual lights youre going to use is. If you know how many watts they are rated, you can divide that by the volts theyre rated to run at, to see how many amps they will need from the battery.

Even LED lights vary widely in how much power they use, for a given brightness. Some use dim low-power LEDs and some use bright high-power LEDS, and some use a lot of dim ones that end up using more power than a few or one high power unit.

Ive used homebuilt LED lighting and commercial motorcycle LED lighting, and commercial home LED lighting, in various combinations on my bikes, and have seen currents from a few dozen mA to several Amps.

I would test the amp draw with a wall 12VDC power adaptor and measure current consumption (with a multi meter) of the whole light system I have.

Than pick a 4 18650 cells in series to power it all up according to the current draw.
Also, don't forget to pick up a BMS for 4S pack at 12V (or make your own).

However, I believe that very simple and not high amp battery would be enough...since it's only lighting (if you havent gone mad with the lighting 8) )

Thanks a lot for your replies. Now I can proceed :)
This is for beach cruiser, so I want to have nice vintage front light as well as good looking rear and stop (if that even possible).
I think dedicated light battery a better solution here.

Regards,
idx

Back