Swapping Freewheel Side Cover for a Freehub Cover

Psyrecx

1 µW
Is this at all possible?

I've seen a few hub motors with freehub options, but not a lot. Freehubs are becoming more common and should be an option. Freewheels are a heavily dated technology.

As a lot of hub motors have similar sizes and bolt patterns, I don't see this as being an impossible conversion. I'd just like to know where i might be able to find a new side cover for my motor, so I don't just have to buy a whole new motor. I do think it's kind of bad that a lot of

Not doable on the hub motors I have used. The cassette's spline's length requires a narrower motor core to retain a 135 M/M drop-out width.
The DNP's seem to have improved their quality somewhat over the years and the lastest ones I have used are quiet and shift smoothly(w/ proper derailluer adjustment).
Yes, they are heavy, but w/ a heavy motor already installed, does it really make any difference?
My beef w/ them is sm. gear wear. Like most hub motor users, I don't shift much and tend to stay in the two lowest gears(13T and 11T), so when I wear out the 11 T gear, I have to buy another pricey DPN ASM.

I'm pretty sure the axle would also need to be changed, as a freehub has a bearing surface at the far outer end and a freewheel does not.

The only set-up where a cassette would make a difference that could be felt, would be for that "purist" who has a low-power "assist" road bike and really uses his legs. At that point, the motor's role actually "inverses" and it's assisting the rider and he will be "rowing" thru the gears.
And since sm. "mini-motors", like the Q100 (Cute), are available as a "C" (Cassette mount) model are readily available and inexpensive, there really is no need to try and convert older free wheel style motor.

I believe that the Q100 series have faceplates that can be swapped. For example, you could get a Q100H and a Q100C then swap the clutch and ring gear (not sure if the ring gear can come off or not) between the faces and use the freehub on the Q100H. I haven't done this myself, so I honestly don't know for sure that it would work, but from what I've seen of the Q motors is that most if not all parts are interchangeable.

EDIT: I basically agree with motomech in that there probably isn't a big enough difference between the Q100H and the Q100C to justify the swap. But I think it would be technically possible to do so.

Freewheels are available stronger and more durable than any cassette. Unless you build low power PAS, you are much better with a freewheel.

zro-1 said:
I believe that the Q100 series have faceplates that can be swapped. For example, you could get a Q100H and a Q100C then swap the clutch and ring gear (not sure if the ring gear can come off or not) between the faces and use the freehub on the Q100H. I haven't done this myself, so I honestly don't know for sure that it would work, but from what I've seen of the Q motors is that most if not all parts are interchangeable.

EDIT: I basically agree with motomech in that there probably isn't a big enough difference between the Q100H and the Q100C to justify the swap. But I think it would be technically possible to do so.
I don't think that is possible. Dave posted this pic that clearly shows that the stator of the "C' is about 30 % thinner the make room for the long cassette spline;
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70369&hilit=Q100C
A take-a-way from that thread was that all the Q100 housings are the same and will take any motor core as long as the motor core is swapped w/ it's type of side-plate(C or non-C).
The question I had was; "Will the 260 gears fit the "C" motors?". Pretty sure they will swap physically and it would depend on whether or not the motor cores sun gear will match the 260's planet gears.
I was really interested in a 260C at the time, but since it would require buying two motors, I dropped the idea.

Back