My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Peetsyo said:
Hi

My current bike is a 250w 36v bafang hub hardtail.
I like light MTB's and use it predominantly riding to office and having fun on the way. My daily commute is about 8km
Therefore i've got only 5Ah 42v battery, that gets me to the office for two days, but i usually charge it every day, like my smartphone

I was planning to build a BBSHD on full suspension carbon frame with small battery, but then i found AM1000.

I might be the future customer, but my new bike would have had following features, that AM1000 is currently missing, and maybe Frey is considering those.

-some sort of embedded SIM card and phone network capability with GPS for basic IoT. If you build or buy a 4000$ bike it needs to have some sort of tracking capability, so you get info when the bike gets moved or stolen.
Nowasays you can buy 15$ kids watch that has GPS tracking over GSM GPRS, so the technology is cheap.

-optional smaller battery to decrease weight (although the bike is so powerful, maybe the weight is not an issue)

I've been riding mine to work, so fun. Some of my ride is through 'single track' type park trails. Bike is amazing in this type of terrain. Fun on the street too, but on trails, going down stairs, jumping things... it's just awesome. Able to jump roots and bumps going uphill! Totally new experience for me. There is enough power that the weight of the bike doesn't seem to be an issue. In fact, with this much power, I'd be interested in an even larger capacity battery that would make extended bike packing trips possible.

the AM1000 is definitely not for you then, as light it is not.
you would be better served by the bafang M500/M600 motors, Frey are building some new bikes around them soon.

the AM1000 uses a Reention Dorado ID1+ like battery case. To my knowledge, Frey already offers at least 3 variants, 17.5Ah 48V, 21Ah 48V and 17.5Ah 52V, the later two stick out a bit on the side of the downtube. BTW, FLX-bikes use the same case model but in 36V and luna cycle sells 48V hotrod FLX-compatible batteries.

for gps cellular tracking, just stick something like that, or those in the frame, in the AM1000 there is room in the downtube below the battery.
this one hides in the steerer tube, that one disguises as a lamp

Adova said:
Does anyone know w US source for the batteries the Frey uses?

as I said in my post, Luna does.

Compatibility needs to be checked though, Reentions Dorados come in different lengths and widths...

For GPS GSM tracking, this seems perfect, just stick it to the frame and connect to battery
Input Voltage:9-80V
Item Size:about 9*5.2*2cm
Actually how the tracking itself is done, I have no idea.....

HTB1_JQkdMsSMeJjSspeq6y77VXak.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/mini-gps-tracker-portable-Waterproof-Builtin-Battery-GSM-GPS-for-motorcycle-vehicle-tracking-device-with-online/32830249741.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.1.7cd0203ds6IURa&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_1_10152_10151_10065_10344_10068_10342_10343_5722611_10340_10341_10696_5722911_5722811_5722711_10084_10083_10618_10307_5711211_10059_308_100031_10103_10624_10623_10622_10621_10620_5711311_5722511,searchweb201603_55,ppcSwitch_3&algo_expid=29061fd5-9b05-4a81-9240-417e0d529b2d-0&algo_pvid=29061fd5-9b05-4a81-9240-417e0d529b2d&priceBeautifyAB=0

Placed an order for the base bike - about 1 month delivery estimate.

But I have a few questions:

Curious if I should ask/request any upgrades? Is it worth upgrading the rear shock or front fork? (I plan to ride some single track.but not do large jumps etc)

I did request a couple of spare derailleur hangers. I also asked about a second wheelset so I could quickly convert to more road-friendly tires, but they weren't able to oblige. Any recommendations for a suitable wheelset/tire/cassette/hub combo and where a good place to get them from is? Will 29ers work?

Has the ill-fitting bearing issue been sorted on newer bikes? (ie, someone reported a suspension bearing couldn't be fully seated and left 1-2mm gap that might allow dirt/debris to enter?).

Should I enquire about the smaller 40T chainring? I plan to be climbing some decent hills and don't really need higher top speed.

I'd like to do some night riding on trails and am considering the Fisher Fab light https://lunacycle.com/fisher-fab-house-led-e-bike-light/ Is this light something that could be powered from exising wiring, or would I have to splice new wires?

Finally, does this bike have a GearSensor? And if not, do people recommend adding one?

Thanks for any help

Cruncher123 said:
Should I enquire about the smaller 40T chainring? I plan to be climbing some decent hills and don't really need higher top speed.

You can use any 130 BCD chainring

Cruncher123 said:

Curious if I should ask/request any upgrades? Is it worth upgrading the rear shock or front fork? (I plan to ride some single track.but not do large jumps etc)

suspensions upgrades are always nice. However, I saw someone mention they upgraded to Sram EX-1 groupset (e-bike reinforced derailleur, chain, and 8-speed cassette) from Frey (to be confirmed).
IMO, this is the better upgrade this bike can have, the stock 11-speed XT is not rated at all for this much torque... If I recall, someone in this thread already experienced cassette failure.

Cruncher123 said:
I did request a couple of spare derailleur hangers. I also asked about a second wheelset so I could quickly convert to more road-friendly tires, but they weren't able to oblige. Any recommendations for a suitable wheelset/tire/cassette/hub combo and where a good place to get them from is? Will 29ers work?

DT Swiss Hybrid series are very nice, H1900 for the entry level, H1700 middle, or HX1501 for higher end, ranging from 300 to 800 eur from german sites like bike24 or bike-discount, they both have cheap worldwide shipping. These wheels all feature hubs with oversized bearings, hardened steel freehub bodies ( --> no spline-gouging under extreme torque), oversized spoke interfaces, reinforced spokes and much stronger rims. They are available in both 27.5 and 29, each with different rim widths. AM1000 frame compatibility with 29er will have to be checked tho.

Cruncher123 said:
Has the ill-fitting bearing issue been sorted on newer bikes? (ie, someone reported a suspension bearing couldn't be fully seated and left 1-2mm gap that might allow dirt/debris to enter?).

the bearing itself is seated properly, the bolt covering it too long resulting in the gap. Previous AM1000 did not even have this cover on the bearing-retaining bolt. I don't know if it is resolved.

Cruncher123 said:

you would be better served by any aftermarket 130BCD chainring like the narrow-wides from RaceFace as Bafang ones a stupidly heavy. For climbing ability I would even go to a lower teeth count.

Cruncher123 said:
I'd like to do some night riding on trails and am considering the Fisher Fab light https://lunacycle.com/fisher-fab-house-led-e-bike-light/ Is this light something that could be powered from exising wiring, or would I have to splice new wires?

existing wiring will not offer the connector of this lamp. The motor does suplies a 6V light line controlled by the Display buttons / light sensor but it's current rating and voltage are too low for this lamp. You'll have to tap into the main power line running from the top of the downtube (where the battery connector is) to the motor (terminated by an Anderson connector). Not an hard job IMO.

Cruncher123 said:
Finally, does this bike have a GearSensor? And if not, do people recommend adding one?

the motor does have a Gear Sensor input. Needing it depends on if you can get in the habit to use the ebrakes as a clutch on gear shifts, otherwise you don't need it. Repeated shifts under power will lead to (very) premature chain failure. With the much lower torque BBS02, I snapped multiple times the same KMC X11-e (e stands for e-bike) chains that Frey use. The connector from the motor to the gear sensor will have to be checked, it's not a circular Higo as on other BBS systems.

could someone please measure the rear thru-axle bolt ?

I need to find a compatible one:

I know it's M12 x 1.5mm pitch, but i'm looking for the thread length and total length.

axle.png

thanks 8)

Thank you for your detailed and well-reasoned responses!

Ivanovitch_k said:
Cruncher123 said:

suspensions upgrades are always nice. However, I saw someone mention they upgraded to Sram EX-1 groupset (e-bike reinforced derailleur, chain, and 8-speed cassette) from Frey (to be confirmed).
IMO, this is the better upgrade this bike can have, the stock 11-speed XT is not rated at all for this much torque... If I recall, someone in this thread already experienced cassette failure.

Cruncher123 said:

DT Swiss Hybrid series are very nice, H1900 for the entry level, H1700 middle, or HX1501 for higher end, ranging from 300 to 800 eur from german sites like bike24 or bike-discount, they both have cheap worldwide shipping. These wheels all feature hubs with oversized bearings, hardened steel freehub bodies ( --> no spline-gouging under extreme torque), oversized spoke interfaces, reinforced spokes and much stronger rims. They are available in both 27.5 and 29, each with different rim widths. AM1000 frame compatibility with 29er will have to be checked tho.

Cruncher123 said:

the bearing itself is seated properly, the bolt covering it too long resulting in the gap. Previous AM1000 did not even have this cover on the bearing-retaining bolt. I don't know if it is resolved.

Cruncher123 said:

you would be better served by any aftermarket 130BCD chainring like the narrow-wides from RaceFace as Bafang ones a stupidly heavy. For climbing ability I would even go to a lower teeth count.

Cruncher123 said:

existing wiring will not offer the connector of this lamp. The motor does suplies a 6V light line controlled by the Display buttons / light sensor but it's current rating and voltage are too low for this lamp. You'll have to tap into the main power line running from the top of the downtube (where the battery connector is) to the motor (terminated by an Anderson connector). Not an hard job IMO.

Cruncher123 said:

the motor does have a Gear Sensor input. Needing it depends on if you can get in the habit to use the ebrakes as a clutch on gear shifts, otherwise you don't need it. Repeated shifts under power will lead to (very) premature chain failure. With the much lower torque BBS02, I snapped multiple times the same KMC X11-e (e stands for e-bike) chains that Frey use. The connector from the motor to the gear sensor will have to be checked, it's not a circular Higo as on other BBS systems.

Hi all,

just received my AM1000 as well. I have the SRAM Ex1 groupset on there and the gears are plentiful to go up steep hills/stair while the smallest cog still allows 50 km/h speed with pedalling. Soon the gear sensor will be installed.

Cheers,
H

Hardcore said:
Hi all,

just received my AM1000 as well. I have the SRAM Ex1 groupset on there and the gears are plentiful to go up steep hills/stair while the smallest cog still allows 50 km/h speed with pedalling. Soon the gear sensor will be installed.

Cheers,
H

Great to hear. I also upgraded to SRAM EX1. And I also plan to install a GearSensor. It would be great if you could post some installations tips/photos when you install it.

This search for an ebike is going to be the death of me !! Back in February, I was all set on a Rip Current S, with a $2k budget that it fit in and no interest in looking at any other bikes. Fast forward to late April when I got serious about it and procured financing - my goal was to order at the end of April in the hopes that I could get the bike by mid-June for my 50th B-day. Yea, it was yet another mid-life crisis toy to get over the pain of hitting the big 5-0.

So at the end of April, the RCS went out of stock - on two occasions I had one in my cart - gave it a day to think about whether it was 'the one', and both times it sold out from under me. So I started doing research on other types of bikes, and after seeing these higher end bikes like the Frey .. well, hell, of COURSE I think I now want to buy one !! Note that before I wanted the RCS, I REALLY wanted the Hyperfat, and I'm pissed that I didn't get that bike, but the RCS was enough of a compromise that I could be happy with it.

So what do I see but this Frey AM1000, which in black pretty much looks like a full suspension Hyperfat ?!? I went ahead and contacted Ivy earlier today, and lemme tell ya, she REALLY wants me to buy this bike, like .. NOW. Shipping was a bit of a stunner ... I had no idea I was going to almost pay 1/3 of the bikes cost JUST for shipping !! But, here we are ... my original budget of 2k blown to hell, my adjusted for awesomeness new budget of $2,600 blown to hell ... and Ivy really wants me to buy this bike !! I need a part-time job to swing this deal .. but dayam, I am hot and bothered for a lime green/black paint combo that she said she can make happen.

Thank you for allowing me to vent. I need to give this some time to sink in. It's not easy plunking down that much cash and living with your decision. I know it will all go away once I receive it and take it for its first ride, but its making my stomach roll just thinking about it now.

WalkinTarget said:
This search for an ebike is going to be the death of me !! Back in February, I was all set on a Rip Current S, with a $2k budget that it fit in and no interest in looking at any other bikes. Fast forward to late April when I got serious about it and procured financing - my goal was to order at the end of April in the hopes that I could get the bike by mid-June for my 50th B-day. Yea, it was yet another mid-life crisis toy to get over the pain of hitting the big 5-0.

So at the end of April, the RCS went out of stock - on two occasions I had one in my cart - gave it a day to think about whether it was 'the one', and both times it sold out from under me. So I started doing research on other types of bikes, and after seeing these higher end bikes like the Frey .. well, hell, of COURSE I think I now want to buy one !! Note that before I wanted the RCS, I REALLY wanted the Hyperfat, and I'm pissed that I didn't get that bike, but the RCS was enough of a compromise that I could be happy with it.

So what do I see but this Frey AM1000, which in black pretty much looks like a full suspension Hyperfat ?!? I went ahead and contacted Ivy earlier today, and lemme tell ya, she REALLY wants me to buy this bike, like .. NOW. Shipping was a bit of a stunner ... I had no idea I was going to almost pay 1/3 of the bikes cost JUST for shipping !! But, here we are ... my original budget of 2k blown to hell, my adjusted for awesomeness new budget of $2,600 blown to hell ... and Ivy really wants me to buy this bike !! I need a part-time job to swing this deal .. but dayam, I am hot and bothered for a lime green/black paint combo that she said she can make happen.

Thank you for allowing me to vent. I need to give this some time to sink in. It's not easy plunking down that much cash and living with your decision. I know it will all go away once I receive it and take it for its first ride, but its making my stomach roll just thinking about it now.

Don't get carried away, there will likely be RipCurrent's back in stock before Frey can ship an AM1000 to you. Yes, Frey sells a nicer bike, but is it $2K nicer? (I think so, but the money.really isn't an issue for me). Honestly, my dream bike is this thing https://www.exess-bikes.de/index_en.htm, but they won't sell to the US.

There are other companies that offer similar bikes to the RipCurrent. Biktrix, Voltbike, M2S etc. Many are likely made in the same factory.

Honestly, I'm surprised Frey hasn't built a container-full on spec and shipped them over - air freight is very expensive. What they save on shipping could be used to lower the cost, or add higher-end components.

I am also going to upgrade to SRAM EX1 groupset (thank you guys, my wallet is now empty). That bike coming to be so expensive... :| I should get that my bike in June and I really hope I get something good. That bike is my dream bike.

Cruncher123 said:
Don't get carried away, there will likely be RipCurrent's back in stock before Frey can ship an AM1000 to you. Yes, Frey sells a nicer bike, but is it $2K nicer? (I think so, but the money.really isn't an issue for me). Honestly, my dream bike is this thing https://www.exess-bikes.de/index_en.htm, but they won't sell to the US.

There are other companies that offer similar bikes to the RipCurrent. Biktrix, Voltbike, M2S etc. Many are likely made in the same factory.

Honestly, I'm surprised Frey hasn't built a container-full on spec and shipped them over - air freight is very expensive. What they save on shipping could be used to lower the cost, or add higher-end components.

I'm probably past the carried away point, but this too shall pass. Received a reply from Roshan at Biktrix - the Juggy is #2 on my personal wants and needs ebike list at this point, and I doubt that will change. The Juggernaut is a hell of a nice bike, so I wouldn't be disappointed at all in buying that. Was the Frey a better bike ?? Yea, it was. Was it a better bike for me ?? Doubtful, when 85% of my riding is a flat rail trail. But speed and performance is very addicting, so I was sucked into tossing big money at something that wasn't a good fit for me.

I agree with you - damn shame they couldn't ship a container over here and sell them at a reduced shipping rate. I'm very pleased with the bikes price, but surprised at the shipping costs.

Cruncher123 said:
Honestly, my dream bike is this thing https://www.exess-bikes.de/index_en.htm, but they won't sell to the US.

This bike is nice, but if I had to choose between the excess and the frey, I would still go for the frey.

The selling points of the Excess vs the AM1000 are the carbon frame and the dt swiss e-bike wheels. But, IMO, a carbon frame is not suited for an extreme torque platform like the bafang ultra :/ ...

Besides that, it's got shit-tier Hailong battery case, and an okey-ish sram GX (slightly more resistant than the shimanos XT, but nowhere near the EX-1).

Would they have gone EX1 (or better IGH like Kindernay / Rohloff) + Reention or even custom design frame battery + AL frame with a better & lighter build quality than frey (not hard, sorry Frey :lol: ), this would be a killer setup !

Ivanovitch_k said:
Cruncher123 said:
Honestly, my dream bike is this thing https://www.exess-bikes.de/index_en.htm, but they won't sell to the US.

This bike is nice, but if I had to choose between the excess and the frey, I would still go for the frey.

The selling points of the Excess vs the AM1000 are the carbon frame and the dt swiss e-bike wheels. But, IMO, a carbon frame is not suited for an extreme torque platform like the bafang ultra :/ ...

Besides that, it's got shit-tier Hailong battery case, and an okey-ish sram GX (slightly more resistant than the shimanos XT, but nowhere near the EX-1).

Would they have gone EX1 (or better IGH like Kindernay / Rohloff) + Reention or even custom design frame battery + AL frame with a better & lighter build quality than frey (not hard, sorry Frey :lol: ), this would be a killer setup !

The sheer gorgeousness of it's appearance has me drooling - yes, some compromises were made, but as an overall package, I haven't seen anything that's even close at that price point (or any price point) with a 1000w motor.

The choices to date have been to accept a nicely-designed Euro emtb with 250/350w/36v battery or a rather inelegant/chunky Chinese frame with 1000w/48v. I reluctantly chose power, but I wanted both - and the Exess was as close as I could find.

I was hoping Luna would finally start selling the Apollo, but it's been months and no further word about it that I'm aware of.

Cruncher123 said:
Ivanovitch_k said:
Cruncher123 said:

The sheer gorgeousness of it's appearance has me drooling - yes, some compromises were made, but as an overall package, I haven't seen anything that's even close at that price point (or any price point) with a 1000w motor.

The choices to date have been to accept a nicely-designed Euro emtb with 250/350w/36v battery or a rather inelegant/chunky Chinese frame with 1000w/48v. I reluctantly chose power, but I wanted both - and the Exess was as close as I could find.

I was hoping Luna would finally start selling the Apollo, but it's been months and no further word about it that I'm aware of.

on Luna's facebook group Eric said that they would be releasing Apollo within the next couple weeks (by end of may, early june??) and hosting a release party .. so should be soon, but I wonder how much they will cost.. looks kinda pricey ..

reference :
https://facebook.com/groups/1185457111501917?view=permalink&id=1667505676630389

Cruncher123 said:
Ivanovitch_k said:
Cruncher123 said:

How about, fly there, buy it, export it back.

Cruncher123 said:

Interesting, this caught my eye:
"Two operating modes and 5 power levels each provide an ideal driving style for every need and every terrain. The ECO mode optimizes the energy consumption and thus ensures homogeneous power delivery and long ranges. In SPORT mode, the engine develops its performance more spontaneously, faster and the peak performance is higher. In addition, 5 power levels can be set in both operating modes."

Anyone figure out how to set up two completely different settings of 5 pedal assist levels, one for Eco, one for Sport? I'm not seeing anywhere to do this in either the display settings or in the programming.

Thanks,
Sean
California

dalysea said:
Anyone figure out how to set up two completely different settings of 5 pedal assist levels, one for Eco, one for Sport? I'm not seeing anywhere to do this in either the display settings or in the programming.

the current programming software is not able to deal with those different modes. It only sets global PAS levels. I guess the different modes acts as multipliers on PAS levels. I.E Sport 100% current limit, Eco 50%, etc... to be confirmed.

+
Ivanovitch_k said:
could someone please measure the rear thru-axle bolt ?
I need to find a compatible one:
I know t's M12 x 1.5mm pitch, but i'm looking for the thread length and total length.
thanks 8)

anyone ? Thx

Tecneek said:
Cruncher123 said:
Ivanovitch_k said:
Cruncher123 said:

How about, fly there, buy it, export it back.
Actually, not a bad idea. Will be in Italy for 3 weeks in September. Maybe I can figure out something.

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
Cruncher123 said:
Ivanovitch_k said:
Cruncher123 said:

on Luna's facebook group Eric said that they would be releasing Apollo within the next couple weeks (by end of may, early june??) and hosting a release party .. so should be soon, but I wonder how much they will cost.. looks kinda pricey ..

reference :
https://facebook.com/groups/1185457111501917?view=permalink&id=1667505676630389

Link leads me to a non-existent page :!: I'd love to see more details of the Apollo

Back