Evolve Carbon AT with 50km+ range

nope, sorry, dont know much about the esc. from my feeling and what others report (people that use a battery from me): the board seems to accelerate better - maybe its cause the battery can deliver more current. *shrug*

To provide somewhat of a backspin on this. I only recently ordered my Evolve Carbon GT and am very excited to receive it here shortly. However, I travel... a lot, and I would love to be able to fly with my new toy.

TSA and most airline regulations in the states allow up to TWO 160 Wh Li-Ion "batteries" for travel in carry-on luggage.

*I know there is currently a regulation (and stigma) against "hoverboards" and the like of "personal transportation devices," but I'm both: banking on a reasonable TSA agent - many will argue they don't exist - and plan on having the battery cover in my pack while going through security, so the TSA agent can clearly see that the originally huge battery in the Carbon is not present.*

I have traveled with skateboards and on the rare occasion, my Sector 9, plenty and both without issue.

So. What I am looking for is a clever solution to - if possible - create two separate 160 Wh packs that can then be connected for a healthier 320 Wh power source for the Carbon that fulfills its power requirements. I am textbook novice in the electronics department but am not afraid of a little DIY; however, I figured I would potentially save myself some headache by reaching out to this rad group!

"HALP" :)

I am wondering if you think if there is still a need to replace new cells in the new evolve carbon GT?

Followed this build and built my own pack out of NCR18650PD cells, so 17.4Ah!. Thanks for the detailed write up Whitepony!
Im still waiting for my fuses and bigger shrinkwrap. Silly me, I ordered 150mm wide shrink wrap thinking it will fit perfectly well it doesn't.... IT SHRINKS, so why didn't I order 200mm wide??? :mrgreen:
Placed my balancer cables into shrink wrap without shrinking it, just to give some protection. Will still add tape over the nickel strip in the cable channel.
Doubled up on the positive wire as well. Its high quality 1,5mm^2 copper wire. Should be good for 15A but from my testing of my Bamboo Gen 2 I found that im pulling about 16-20A when going full throttle most of the time. So I thought Id better double up on it just in case.
Still need to add the positive charging lead.
I now have placed some plastic spacers between the cell blocks. Pulled these spacers from laptop packs and their pretty neat. Planned to include these from the start but forgot them when I was actually building the pack in the end. Managed to squeeze them in between all blocks but number 1 and 10.

Quite happy with my results considering this is the second pack I have ever built.
I used a lot more nickel strip then you did, Didnt want to risk anything.

Whitepony;
How has your pack been holding up though?
Have you had any issues with welds breaking from flex in the board etc? cell wraping coming off? Anything along those lines that could be a safety hazard? The carbon fiber sure doesn't flex a lot but im a bit concerned.
Will test my pack thoroughly before putting it inside the board. I really don't want it to burn down :D

cheers

Attachments

• IMG_8297 copy.JPG
    IMG_8297 copy.JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 1,810
  • IMG_8301 copy.JPG
    IMG_8301 copy.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 1,810
  • IMG_8300 copy.JPG
    IMG_8300 copy.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 1,810
outlaw said:
To provide somewhat of a backspin on this. I only recently ordered my Evolve Carbon GT and am very excited to receive it here shortly. However, I travel... a lot, and I would love to be able to fly with my new toy.

TSA and most airline regulations in the states allow up to TWO 160 Wh Li-Ion "batteries" for travel in carry-on luggage.

*I know there is currently a regulation (and stigma) against "hoverboards" and the like of "personal transportation devices," but I'm both: banking on a reasonable TSA agent - many will argue they don't exist - and plan on having the battery cover in my pack while going through security, so the TSA agent can clearly see that the originally huge battery in the Carbon is not present.*

I have traveled with skateboards and on the rare occasion, my Sector 9, plenty and both without issue.

So. What I am looking for is a clever solution to - if possible - create two separate 160 Wh packs that can then be connected for a healthier 320 Wh power source for the Carbon that fulfills its power requirements. I am textbook novice in the electronics department but am not afraid of a little DIY; however, I figured I would potentially save myself some headache by reaching out to this rad group!

"HALP" :)

you could build 2 x 5s2p out of 2250mAh high drain cells. That would be 162Wh per pack. Then place them inside the board and connect them up with a XT60 or T Connector or whatever.
No idea what you would do with the balance cables though. Some small connectors probably.
You would only have 9Ah in total compared to 10 though.

But I really doubt the TSA lets you fly with a DIY pack that has no approval or anything. Forget it, not going to happen.

Is it possible to short out the pack if the wrappers on the cells come off? I mean like between the cells that are in series.

Finished off my pack now and im letting it run on a bench. Watching charge and discharge curves. Getting 16.20Ah out of it.
Still waiting on spacer material.
Trying to evaluate all the risks before I put it in the board for good.

cheers

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove bms from bamboo gt. I would like to make 18650 battery pack but without bms because I don't want to ruin the original battery.

How will the board behave with our uart connection from the evolve bms?

Thanks.

Of course this can be done, but you would be better off spending a couple of bucks on a new BMS specific to your task. If your going to build a battery (not a cheap process) do you want to risk it by skimping on using a BMS youve desoldered from another pack?

Is it possible to short out the pack if the wrappers on the cells come off? I mean like between the cells that are in series.

Yes.. It is possible.

Back