52v 14s4p Hailong Case

sacko

10 kW
Started with plans for a 13s4p battery build, but as I am going to have to glue the cells I may as well go to 14s4p.

I have seen the following of the Luna pack, but have not seen the other side.

img_20151222_0824557521.jpg

Before I copy the layout, could I check that it is the best design.

For 30amps max current (BBS HD) I am also planning to use 0.3mm 8mm nickel. Seem ok?

Just make sure everything will fit.
I used the smaller type Halong case (with no USB output), 13S4P with 30A BMS, 52x18650 cells glued were a neat fit with no room left.
My recycled cells were soldered ( :shock: for some), with no observable detriment to the pack.

Hi, any luck building the pack?

I'm on the same project, harvested some cells from a geo orbital battery packs.

I also have a Luna Cycle 14s4p Panasonic GA hailong pack which I'm trying to copy. It looks like Luna changed the layout.

I've been having real hard time aligning the cells, tried hot glue but the space glue occupies, ends up adding up and the pack won't close.
Also, since cells were harvested, cannot lay them standing because pulling the nickel strips creates a bump on the ends.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0518-1.JPG
    IMG_0518-1.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 2,426
  • IMG_0522-1.JPG
    IMG_0522-1.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 2,426
  • IMG_0523.JPG
    IMG_0523.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 2,426
Mine is now complete, really happy with the outcome.

It is very tight though! Fitting the charger point, making sure it all closes once the lock is fitted is also a pain.

mitoda said:
It looks like Luna changed the layout.
You mean the builder in China changed it or a new vendor in China is being used.

tomjasz said:
mitoda said:
It looks like Luna changed the layout.
You mean the builder in China changed it or a new vendor in China is being used.

hahaha, true, the people in China.
what layout did you end up using? just like the one you attached or the one in the picture on your first post?
I'm also trying to add it to my BBSHD, have 2 of these, only one battery for now.
how did you put all the batteries together? hot glue first or just spot welding 4 batteries together at a time? I find it really painful to keep all the batteries aligned

Thanks!

I used the same layout as the image on the first page.

I used a wooden box which was square. I built the pack upside down.

Line all the 'Top' cells up in one row (15 of them), push the terminals up tight against the side. Do not add glue at this point!

Then, I start laying the next row, but add glue in the middle.

Did you do something like this?

if so you put the cells standing up on the box or laying down?

I'm thinking to solder connectors to load (motor) first before assembling the whole pack.

Thank you very much, this is helpful... I'm trying not to re-invent the wheel here! : )

where did yo buy the BMS from? I bought a couple, but they are longer than the one Luna uses.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 7.56.53 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 7.56.53 PM copy.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2,255
That's it, 'row' 1 first. Lay the first row down.

Get the glue gun ready.

Start laying 'row 2' down put place glue in between first.

This is the BMS I bought. Doesn't matter how long the BMS is, you have about 20cm of room at the top of the box! :)

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-51-8V-BMS-14S-BMS-PCM-used-for-51-8-V-lithium-ion-battery/1206415913.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2fe44c4doFhCtZ

Thanks for all your help. I ended up just aligning all the cells, divided by 3 groups (from left to right) each held by an elastic band and tape and proceeded to spot weld each cell.

Though all cells looked closed enough, I wasn't able to completely close the hailong plastic case, but good enough to put all screws in. I found particularly difficult to fit the charger side the case, the last positive end group seemed to touch the charger, so I had to do some trimming with a Dremmel. I also removed the metal plate from the BMS to have it fit.

The pack is useable, will this make me a seller... probably not.There are areas that look misaligned but good enough.

Did you experience something similar? if not, how did everything fit perfectly?

Yes.

If the case does not fit, take the lid off. At the back there are two screw posts. You can remove some of the material away from the top of the posts.

I also had to remove some of the material from the charger port.

If the cells are squeezed together tight enough prior to spot welding, you don't have any issues fitting the cells in. Practise...

Back