How do I run headlight off battery?

kcaravelli2

10 µW
I'm having a new BBS02 installed on an HPV Scorpion FS 20" recumbent trike this week by Rose City Recumbents.

They have been able to get me a great battery from Luna Cycle:
48v Panasonic GA 17.5ah Black Killer Whale:
https://lunacycle.com/48v-panasonic-ga-17-5ah-black-killer-whale-ebike-pack-huge-range/

This battery has a USB port as well as both charge ports and main port for the motor.

** I think the connectors are xt60 and xt90 plugs.

Question:

What do you recommend for a lighting setup to run directly off the battery?

What light and how would I setup a light to run directly off the battery.

For example, there are Battery dual adapter cable connectors for output to another source like a light and not just a dual battery output.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

Thanks,

Keith
Olympia, WA

Easiest way, use a 48V rated light set.
Simply google 48V bicycle light

Search Ebay for DC/DC 48V golf cart. They use 12V car lights and radios...find one that specs a 60V input max, the capacitors are 63V, so they will take 12S/13S/14S input...

I use this type, direct to the battery up to 80v, 20w is very bright but 8w should do or have a couple with switching between.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-80V-20W-LED-Headlight-Handlebar-Universal-Lamp-for-E-bike-Motorcycle-/152471519092?hash=item238002bf74

s-l500.jpg

dingoEsride said:
I use this type, direct to the battery up to 80v, 20w is very bright but 8w should do or have a couple with switching between.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-80V-20W-LED-Headlight-Handlebar-Universal-Lamp-for-E-bike-Motorcycle-/152471519092?hash=item238002bf74
s-l500.jpg
oncoming traffic must love you.

FWIW, any led light that runs on three dry cells or one lithium cell (4.5v) should run off that USB port. That opens up lots of choices. I'm not sure what voltage the typical bike lights use now. Things tend to change faster than I can keep up.

I can say this though, the five dollar version of 48v bike headlight is junk. It was just dim, had a shitty reflector and lens so it did not throw a beam. So dim as it was it would blind the guy you really want to see you. Of course he does see your light, but then drives off blinded to anything else, dogs, pedestrians, etc.

That ebay link looks like a good solution. Looks like 4 just like the light I thought too dim. It could have a brow added to keep the light down on the road more, and off the drivers windshields.

Since I run at night fairly seldom, my best solution ended up just a rubber handlebar mount that holds a typical very bright led flashlight.

On the other hand, a 48v to 12v converter on the bike does open up a big world of 12v stuff you can run off it.

Does anyone know if you can run a light that says its compatible with 48v with a 52v battery pack?

fully charged 48v battery is 58V

48V implies lead acid. So they would take that into account. Usually they have 60v electonics inside. It has to be really shitty stuff if it blows up at 57V

A few years ago I purchased from China some really nice DC-DC converters(to 12v) for 48v systems and some for 72v systems rated for 10 amp output. They came in a nice finned aluminum case and had a fuse included,nicest units I've ever seen. Price was about $6 each,no failures...
Then find a good 12v LED light and run other 12v accessories too.

Back