Model 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats. Well worth the wait I guess? Looks really good in white.
Look forward to see many more videos of your new model 3.

Yes, definitely worth the wait.

This car is better than I was expecting, by a large margin.

Many more videos to come. This was just a very simple introduction video. In depth videos coming.

Matt

Wow congrats and awesome thread. Im in the process of configuring mine also. Im not rich and this will be my most expensive auto purchase by a large margin. I deliver for a restaurant. I also put about 30K a year. Im a little concerned by this form regarding using a Tesla model 3 for work. I do mostly city driving. Im justifying the car cost because I spend about 250 a month on gas. Any of you guys that have any model Tesla and use it for work have any problems with Tesla not covering warranty items on your car because you use it for business?

Joe,

Vehicle use for business is a wonderful thing from a tax perspective. When I have time I will explain it here in some detail. I plan on doing a video on this very thing.

Matt

Warren said:
1054 pounds including charger/DC-DC, 4416 cells, 96s46p, 2 modules 23s46p, 2 modules 25s46p, ~80 kWh, 75 kWh usable?

I guess it is 66 kWh usable.

https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-sets-new-range-record-at-606-2-miles/

I see that these guys got 75 kWh out of theirs.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-real-world-battery-range-test/

I see achieved capacities all over the place for the Bolt. I think this is a big impediment to mass adoption of EVs. Batteries are more like balloons than gas tanks. I am personally hoping to be at 50% range, at 10 years, for our Bolt. I figure 100+ miles will be plenty for us in our 80's.

Yeah. That is what I am hoping for too. I figured 50% for worst case scenario. That is how we talked ourselves into spending that much money on a car we really don't need. The 2006 Corolla would have gone another ten years with little maintenance. But this was my shot at a car of the future. I've wanted an EV since the 1970's. Ten years ago I was beginning to think I'd never live to see it. :)

recumpence said:
Warren,

If you treat the battery properly, I bet you will have over 70% capacity in 10 years.
I bet that in ten years you will be able to get a much better battery for a few thousand dollars. Remember the Tesla Roadster upgraded to a 400 mike range? They’re obscenely expensive because they need to be built by hand.

I believe that within ten years that new M3 batteries will be available from Tesla that have roughy twice their current capacity for under $5k. A good DIY option would be to get a used battery from a junkyard. You will probably want to use your old car battery for a home Powerpack.

I’d watch Tesla insurance prices:
https://electrek.co/2018/05/29/tesla-insuremytesla-insurance-model-s-most-expensive-car/
Tesla has also been working directly with some companies to create better insurance programs for its owners.

It’s called InsureMyTesla and it features custom insurance plans for the automaker’s electric vehicles underwritten by insurers partnering with Tesla.

We haven’t heard much about the program since it launched last year, but Tesla has now hired Alex Tsetsenekos, a former exec at Liberty Mutual, Tesla’s partner for InsureMyTesla in the US, and several other insurance companies, to lead the program in North America.

At a conference later this year, he is set to give a keynote presentation titled ‘Building a Customer Centric Insurance Company for Tesla’.

He said about this upcoming presentation:
The evolution of the customer experience is accelerating through the advent of new products, partners, and services. As an auto manufacturer, Tesla recognizes that delivering a truly digital insurance customer experience is critical to the ‘Tesla experience’ moving forward. I’m excited to share our four key areas of focus to make this happen and discuss synergies between insurance and utilities.
In Australia and Hong Kong, where the program first launched, a Tesla executive said that they were already selling the majority of their vehicles with the insurance plan.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk said that the insurers charging high premiums for Tesla vehicles weren’t competitive and suggested that Tesla owners simply change insurers if they weren’t satisfied.

Congrats Matt. My wife and I camped out while she was pregnant to put down 2 deposits on Model 3s We are giving one to Casey who does a electric only Drag race high school in Vancouver. And the other we will get the LR battery and AWD... I really want performance but man its not cheep.

Arlo1 said:
Congrats Matt. My wife and I camped out while she was pregnant to put down 2 deposits on Model 3s We are giving one to Casey who does a electric only Drag race high school in Vancouver. And the other we will get the LR battery and AWD... I really want performance but man its not cheep.
Maybe you could figure out how to hack the performance mode? Except for the fact I they use “selected” motor the only difference is software. I bet you could make a fortune if you could figure out how to hack it.

The information in this post and video on the M3’s battery pack by our friend Jack Rickard is worth tolerating his presence on the video to obtain imo:
http://evtv.me/2018/05/tesla-model-3-gone-battshit/
The two 23 cell modules are at each edge of the pack and 67 1/2 inches long, 11 1/2 inches wide and 3 1/2 inches thick and weigh 191 lbs.

The two 25 cell modules are located in the middle of the pack and 73 inches long, 11 1/2 inches wide and 3 1/2 inches thick and weigh 207 lbs.
My point is, California drivers being what they are, it’s going to soon be RAINING Model 3 batteries in the junk yards. But we don’t know how to use them. And I haven’t heard of anybody else that does either.

There are TWO 38 pin chips connecting to the left side copper tape and two 64 pin chips connecting to the right hand copper tape. One of the ongoing little never discussed issues with measuring cell voltage is that if you are pumping any current through the same wires you are measuring, the drop of the wires causes perturbation of the measured voltage. So whenever you “balance” these cells, you throw off the voltage measurement.

It is my belief that this generation chip has a real measurement resolution as small as 0.0022volts or 2.2 millivolts. So very very small resistance values can cause errors. Note the three tiny wires connecting to each copper land. And I guess I think we are doing cell balancing on one side of the module, while simultaneously monitoring voltage on the OTHER side of the module entirely out of the current path. This is a stunning solution and very difficult to implement normally because it means twice the numbers of wires and connections. But the flexible PCB tape approach makes this quite feasible. I’ve never seen anything like it. It’s like technology from another planet.

MitchJi said:
Arlo1 said:
Maybe you could figure out how to hack the performance mode? Except for the fact I they use “selected” motor the only difference is software. I bet you could make a fortune if you could figure out how to hack it.

The information in this post and video on the M3’s battery pack by our friend Jack Rickard is worth tolerating his presence on the video to obtain imo:
http://evtv.me/2018/05/tesla-model-3-gone-battshit/
The two 23 cell modules are at each edge of the pack and 67 1/2 inches long, 11 1/2 inches wide and 3 1/2 inches thick and weigh 191 lbs.

The two 25 cell modules are located in the middle of the pack and 73 inches long, 11 1/2 inches wide and 3 1/2 inches thick and weigh 207 lbs.
My point is, California drivers being what they are, it’s going to soon be RAINING Model 3 batteries in the junk yards. But we don’t know how to use them. And I haven’t heard of anybody else that does either.
Hahah Jack he is hard to watch. I skim some of his videos. Non the less I heard the M3 performance is the same parts other then the wheels and brakes as the regular AWD M3. So it seems software will need to be hacked. And yeah a profit of $5-10k a car would be realistic.

Likely has the corrections on.

Arlo1 said:
Unlikely..
This is Sasha, who has previously built his own Tesla powered Lotus Evora, and spent many days on the dyno configuring custom motor controls , drive modes etc, with it.
He knows how to dyno an EV. (He may even own the dyno ?)
[youtube]fKCMyHic2fU[/youtube]

Hillhater said:
Arlo1 said:
Unlikely..
This is Sasha, who has previously built his own Tesla powered Lotus Evora, and spent many days on the dyno configuring custom motor controls , drive modes etc, with it.
He knows how to dyno an EV. (He may even own the Dyno)
Thanks for posting the video link!

Matt and arlo might be interested in this one about their aftermarket coilover:
[youtube]L63v-LMtgs8[/youtube]

And I agree that jack is hard to watch. The link I posted is to his blog post on the topic, which is a lot easier to tolerate than the video! I also watched the video (the link is in the blog), and it’s worth the pain IMO.
Thanks

The OEM shocks and springs have changed since the start of production because many complained about a rough ride. Later maybe next year there will be a air suspension option

Arlo1 said:
The OEM shocks and springs have changed since the start of production because many complained about a rough ride. Later maybe next year there will be a air suspension option
Yes there will be an air suspension option I’m 2019. But in the US the full tax credit expires in 2018, which means that air suspension would cost us at least an additional $3750.

MitchJi said:
Arlo1 said:
Yes there will be an air suspension option I’m 2019. But in the US the full tax credit expires in 2018, which means that air suspension would cost us at least an additional $3750.

No no they have updates the Coil type suspension that is going out on the cars delivered right now. People complained about the ride being choppy so they upgraded the suspension with better springs and might even have changed the dampening.

As for the TAX credit. They will produce 1.5 years of cars with the tax credit starting in the 1/4 they hit 200,000 cars.
So 6 months at 100% credit 6 months at 50% and 6 months at 25%.

Hillhater said:
Arlo1 said:
Unlikely..
He knows how to dyno an EV. (He may even own the dyno ?)
[youtube]fKCMyHic2fU[/youtube]

Yeah but the numbers are high for both what Brooks at Drag times found and what Tesla claims. Maybe its because its CDN HP or... Maybe us Canadians get more power because we are nicer people?

recumpence said:
If you look at 0 to 60 mph hp calculators, moving 4,000 pounds from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds requires 400hp.

Yeah those are based on ICE. You really need to work the math from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back