Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

3DTOPO said:
Aebrennan said:
As someone who is dealing directly with the factory and has been a dealer for 6 months I doubt you will be able to get your hands on this version for months.

I appreciate your insight as a dealer, but I would wager a bet that they don't miss their stated June 21st shipping date by months.

Order a bike from the site and we will see...

I was promised a sample FOC controller in January for testing and still haven’t received it.
Good luck!

Aebrennan said:

Unfortunately its not quite that straight-forward. I have tried and got up to the point where they don't ship to the US.

Aebrennan said:
3DTOPO said:
Aebrennan said:

Unfortunately its not quite that straight-forward. I have tried and got up to the point where they don't ship to the US.

I am as surprised as you are!
NOT :roll:

Did I say I was surprised? You are the one who recommended ordering from the site.

I am very surprised. Normally improvements and upgrades are measured in years to come, not batches of shipping product with in the same year. Even if the X model doesn't come out for several more months, look at how far things have come since the first batch. I am impressed.

I know you weren't asking me, but I think you hit the nail on the head. I suspect the new battery pack gives it ~20% more range in addition to the performance improvements you mentioned.
I was thinking that as well.

I was promised a sample FOC controller in January for testing and still haven’t received it.
Good luck!

I know someone else who was too. He was supposed to provide real world rider/dealer R&D feed back on the new controller. Hasn't gotten it yet.

Aebrennan said:
I just try to share facts from experience but I see most forum members prefer to dream.

No need to get snide. I said I appreciated your insight - but with a shipping date set, I expect them to ship closer to the planned date than months after.

Rix said:
Good luck!

I know someone else who was too. He was supposed to provide real world rider/dealer R&D feed back on the new controller. Hasn't gotten it yet.

With a ship date set, I would attribute that to more to them being a relatively small company than the hardware being vaporware.

racingame said:
This Model X seems to have a different motor as well because they declared 5400 rpm against the 4500 rpm of the standard model.
Yes most likely just field weakening as the others have said. It's well documented you can make a motor spin much faster with the same input voltage and current with field weakening. The rest I suspect would be as Rix said - bigger sprocket for more punch and the field weakening up that top speed. The BMS/battery could be exactly the same. I'd be surprised if the BMS mods are anything more than the equivalent of adding in another shunt like we used to do in the old days to get more power from controllers. If they're not changing the cells that's really all that's needed.

3DTOPO said:
with a shipping date set, I expect them to ship closer to the planned date than months after.
What guarantee is a set shipping date though, really ? As someone who's semi-patiently waiting in line for a model 3, I've learned not to treat declared shipping dates as gospel. And after years of dealing with the Chinese you can divide your expectations by at least 2!
As Rix said Surron are already better than many other companies for the rate at which they are making these changes. Even confirming they'll implement just about every single thing we asked for after we first started riding these bikes is pretty damn good. I think Adam is right that the marketing hype is ahead of what the factory can actually ship. Everyone is keen on the road going light bee but don't forget the white ghost was announced as 'coming soon' before the bee was in production, and there's still not even a sample of the ghost ready to be shipped yet! (which is a bummer because I'm really keen to see/ride one! )

Rix said:
macribs said:
About the new model X battery pack. What exactly did change? They really didn't share much. What are the new numbers for this new battery pack?

Looking at the pics of the X version, it appears they are also running a 58T rear sprocket along with the FOC controller, DNM forks and upgraded, my guess is part of the performance increase comes from field weakening of the controller which allows the X to maintain the top speed of a standard Lightbee with a 48T and the larger 58T rear sprocket gives it a lot more punch in the process. I think the improved battery pack is the smallest part of the performance equation. What do you think?

Yeah I did see the other upgrades and I agree those where nice ones. Reason I asked about the battery is that there was nothing of substance on the battery. If they would have said the new pack got 15% higher C rate, or 12% more range or 20% higher voltage it would be easier to grasp. Rather they used some wage term like "imported batteries". Well that term does not quantify improvements nor gives any baseline for calculating upgrade costs.

I asked about the battery because hotrodding sur ron might take you to the limit of the battery pack. And as with any e-bike the battery pack is the single most expensive part. So knowing what kind of improvements that are done to the pack is of high importance in my eyes.

If sur ron keeps upgrading, and keep pushing this hard we might be looking on the next huawei/xiaomi/1+ of the e-bike world. And I mean that in the best possible way. Sur Ron could be changing the business and the world of e-bikes. They will be true rock stars of the industry.

racingame said:
3DTOPO said:
Who started selling them, Luna? I saw on the Chinese site that they are selling the gold chain and the seat. If Luna offered the new controller, seat and chain I would order them. The battery is such an expensive component, I don't think I would order it since I am pretty content with the range it has now, instead I would opt for ordering a whole new model X since I want a second one anyway.

I meant the Chinese site is selling them. This Model X seems to have a different motor as well because they declared 5400 rpm against the 4500 rpm of the standard model. They should really make an English translation with all the specs in evidence for the international public. I got the impression it's kinda a marketing move to leave things a bit unclear; I'd like to know how the regenerative brake was added.

This is also why I asked about the new batterypack. Increase in RPM could be related to higher voltage in the new batterypack.

Hyena said:
racingame said:
This Model X seems to have a different motor as well because they declared 5400 rpm against the 4500 rpm of the standard model.
Yes most likely just field weakening as the others have said. It's well documented you can make a motor spin much faster with the same input voltage and current with field weakening. The rest I suspect would be as Rix said - bigger sprocket for more punch and the field weakening up that top speed. The BMS/battery could be exactly the same. I'd be surprised if the BMS mods are anything more than the equivalent of adding in another shunt like we used to do in the old days to get more power from controllers. If they're not changing the cells that's really all that's needed.

I think I was the first one to mention field weakening in this thread (end of page 35). :p

The reason why I suspect it has a new BMS is from the following according to Sur-Ron. BTW: is it pronounced Sir-Ron or Sure-Ron??

battery management system ... increased single-chip 485 communications, ensure high power load capacity of the battery pack ... and its cruising range is 20% higher than that of the Standard Lightning Bee.

3DTOPO said:
with a shipping date set, I expect them to ship closer to the planned date than months after.
What guarantee is a set shipping date though, really ? As someone who's semi-patiently waiting in line for a model 3, I've learned not to treat declared shipping dates as gospel. And after years of dealing with the Chinese you can divide your expectations by at least 2!
As Rix said Surron are already better than many other companies for the rate at which they are making these changes. Even confirming they'll implement just about every single thing we asked for after we first started riding these bikes is pretty damn good. I think Adam is right that the marketing hype is ahead of what the factory can actually ship. Everyone is keen on the road going light bee but don't forget the white ghost was announced as 'coming soon' before the bee was in production, and there's still not even a sample of the ghost ready to be shipped yet! (which is a bummer because I'm really keen to see/ride one! )

I did not at all mean to imply the ship date is guaranteed. I could certainly be wrong, but I think they will make their delivery date within weeks of the date set, opposed to months.

Congrats on the Tesla! I hope my next vehicle is a Tesla; but I really need more ground clearance than they currently offer. Anyhow; when you place a pre-order for the Model 3, I assume the estimated ship date was what, a year out? The longer the ship date is in the future, I would think the more uncertainty. With the Light Bee X, they are estimating the ship date to be less than a month out.

In any event; as you and others have mentioned, its a very exciting announcement, even if the ship date slips. In the meantime, I am perfectly happy with my ride. I'll just wait as needed before I order a second one.

I will get my FOC controllers from the factory next week(if they did not forgot to pack them in), will test them out for sure!
What Ghost is delayed because they will do a complete redesign of the powertrain and this prolly means the chassis as well. This because they thought it was underpowered.
Jay, its good that model 3 is delayed, that car is shit anyway with all its flaws :wink:

Allex said:
Jay, its good that model 3 is delayed, that car is shit anyway with all its flaws :wink:

I drove my friend to pick up his Model 3 and the car was flawless. We crawled all over it looking for problems, but couldn't find any.

But, I agree. The longer you wait, the more improvements they make! They just upgraded the suspension and rear seats...

n2mb said:
Allex said:

I drove my friend to pick up his Model 3 and the car was flawless. We crawled all over it looking for problems, but couldn't find any.

But, I agree. The longer you wait, the more improvements they make! They just upgraded the suspension and rear seats...

I think Allex was being facetious.

Allex said:
I will get my FOC controllers from the factory next week(if they did not forgot to pack them in), will test them out for sure!
What Ghost is delayed because they will do a complete redesign of the powertrain and this prolly means the chassis as well. This because they thought it was underpowered.

Thats funny, you were the one I was referencing. Didn't want to say it out loud.

Artisanstone
My 9 year old is riding mine as of today. 20 min practice in eco mode, then had him switch to sport mode. He did just fine. 58T sprocket. I have to say though, that his first ride was a 12.5 oset at age 2. Still, I was amazed how well he handled it.

I am going out on a limb here and bet that the power to weight ratio with your 9 year old boy at the handlebars is very high.

Rix said:
Allex said:

Thats funny, you were the one I was referencing. Didn't want to say it out loud.

Artisanstone
My 9 year old is riding mine as of today. 20 min practice in eco mode, then had him switch to sport mode. He did just fine. 58T sprocket. I have to say though, that his first ride was a 12.5 oset at age 2. Still, I was amazed how well he handled it.

I am going out on a limb here and bet that the power to weight ratio with your 9 year old boy at the handlebars is very high.

It is I'm sure. He has good throttle control and some pretty good respect for it. He's been slowly ramping up. I can hear the wheelspins and motor sound increasing. He's a good mix of cautious and confident.

It is I'm sure. He has good throttle control and some pretty good respect for it. He's been slowly ramping up. I can hear the wheelspins and motor sound increasing. He's a good mix of cautious and confident.

And that makes for a smart and fast rider. Any idea if your son will race MCs down the road?

Alex Imreh said:
srwb.jpg

About size, i measured my DRZ400SM it is around 210long, i tried to search wheelbase of KTM, Yamaha WR enduro bikes to compare with little SurRon.

Interesting. Does it seem like a small bike? I compared the measurements to my mountain bike, and it seems significantly larger. About 6 feet long and higher than the mountain bike.

Do you think it would be out of place parking it at a bike rack?

Alex Imreh said:
srwb.jpg

About size, i measured my DRZ400SM it is around 210long, i tried to search wheelbase of KTM, Yamaha WR enduro bikes to compare with little SurRon.

This bike is almost identical in size to the Honda CRF150F, except it don't weigh 238 pounds, more like 100-110 pounds or so.

n2mb said:
Alex Imreh said:
srwb.jpg

Interesting. Does it seem like a small bike? I compared the measurements to my mountain bike, and it seems significantly larger. About 6 feet long and higher than the mountain bike.

Do you think it would be out of place parking it at a bike rack?

The only way these machines wont stand out at a bike rack is if there are other Sur-Rons at the bike rack. These machines are real attention getters. I get questioned and sometimes asked to stop when I haul my bike some where on the hitch hauler.

Great.
I want one if they are street legal and easily tuned (for commuting 50km/a day).

Annyone take a look at this bike?
http://ekrossbikes.com/catalog/e-kross-pozitive-md/

Back