New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

echew said:
Has anyone got any recommendations for a decent front/rear light set that fits the TSDZ2?

If I only have to charge 1 battery for everything I might actually remember to do it!

I am in the process of getting headlights and tail lights that will run from the main battery, to avoid having so many items to charge. There are many lights that include DC to DC converters that will run from 9v to 60v...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mot...White-Motorbike-Working-Spot/32853539268.html
I have purchased these (6 led version) and they are very bright indeed, but I am not happy with the mounting options, so have ordered the items below...

Stand alone DC to DC converter...
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292085832284
so I can run 5v or 12v standard bicycle lights such as these, that include strobe and high, low functions...
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/351905005016?ViewItem=&item=351905005016
They are yet to arrive and be assessed.

I also investigated these, but they are much more expensive, but likely better quality too...
http://www.ebikes.ca/elight-12f.html
http://www.ebikes.ca/led8rb.html
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/lights/m99-pro-ebike-light.html

If you want to run lights from the brake/lights cable (if your model includes this cable) that came with the TSDZ2, then I do not have details on the current limit, but believe the voltage may be 6v.

Creep said:
Waynemarlow said:
Back somewhere on the 92 pages was some discussion on an adapter to change to 100mm width on the bottom bracket ( fat bike ) has anyone done a conversion and can they put up a link to where I can get such an adapter.

Thanks

It's an odd coincidence that you mention this; I was just looking into swapping my TSDZ2b from my current bike onto a fat tire bike with a 100mm bottom bracket. I did some searching, and I found a site that has one. I have no idea if it's any good, but I'm probably going to buy one and try it out. He has some interesting bits, check it out; https://www.electrifybike.com/store/c22/Torque_Sensing_TSDZ2_Parts.html
Do they sell the adapter only or the complet motor? Thanks

Yes looking at fitting a TSDZ2 to a fat bike for a number of reasons, I do like the fat bike concept of wide fat soft tyres on the off road but those very tyres then create the most almighty amount of drag on the harder pack unless you pump them up to higher pressures which negates the reason of the wider tyres. Now with a bit of extra ooomp one sort of get the best of both worlds. :D

But I also are now beginning to loathe the BBS02 engines lack of feel and riding feedback one gets with the TDSZ2, I think the lightweight Scott and BBS02 setup I have may just have to go. but then I don't want the extra weight and power of the BBS HD so perhaps a nice 52V TDSZ2 may just do the trick.

Whoa...exactly on point for what I am after!
I also have a number of BBSHD units and have now been "spoiled" by the riding characteristics of the torque-sensing 52v TSDZ2 on one of my other bikes.
I have been really wishing there was a TSDZ2 for fat bikes...
I just added the Fat Bike Adapter to the shopping cart..and am ready to push the "order" button!
I hope this works out as well as I am expecting!

Waynemarlow said:
Yes looking at fitting a TSDZ2 to a fat bike for a number of reasons, I do like the fat bike concept of wide fat soft tyres on the off road but those very tyres then create the most almighty amount of drag on the harder pack unless you pump them up to higher pressures which negates the reason of the wider tyres. Now with a bit of extra ooomp one sort of get the best of both worlds. :D

But I also are now beginning to loathe the BBS02 engines lack of feel and riding feedback one gets with the TDSZ2, I think the lightweight Scott and BBS02 setup I have may just have to go. but then I don't want the extra weight and power of the BBS HD so perhaps a nice 52V TDSZ2 may just do the trick.

That is why I went with a full suspension plus tire bike. 73mm bb along with 3" wide tires. When they are pumped up hard they do not have much resistance and we can coast very well down even very slight inclines. We ride down some hills at 40-45mph and I feel very comfortable and safe with the handling (the brakes are a different story, they are lacking at speeds over 25mph). Wider tires were necessary for me because Cecil shifts his weight around while we ride and also we are carrying a lot of weight and they bring added stability and they track better over road imperfections, etc.

echew said:
Has anyone got any recommendations for a decent front/rear light set that fits the TSDZ2?

If I only have to charge 1 battery for everything I might actually remember to do it!

I have not mounted it yet but this cheap light does work with the 6v power lead wires and it seems fairly bright for being only 6v. The rubber band mounting has much to be desired but I will probably mod it somehow when I get around to it. It does not work with the usb power coming off the display though, the tsdz2 supplies more amperage through the light lead over the usb.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071WBWFV5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought a first alert led road flare that I am going to wire to the light lead or the usb lead. It works off 3aa batteries (4.5v) bit I am going to wire it up to the 6v light lead or to the usb.

My post on Apr 19 2018 has a few photos of the kit and and installing the adapter, you need a tap to thread your motor to accept the adapter, my kit came with tap,

My adapter is a 120mm that I installed on a 100mm bottom bracket, extra spacers required for this.

So far running well with the 52v TSDZ2 set up,

Tap BB
IMG_4131.JPG

Jig to guide tap and keep square
IMG_4129.JPG

Marin said:
My post on Apr 19 2018 has a few photos of the kit and and installing the adapter, you need a tap to thread your motor to accept the adapter, my kit came with tap,

My adapter is a 120mm that I installed on a 100mm bottom bracket, extra spacers required for this.

So far running well with the 52v TSDZ2 set up,

Tap BB
IMG_4131.JPG

Jig to guide tap and keep square
IMG_4129.JPG

Thanks Marin. It´s from Future-bike.it. I discovered based in your information. It´s good they sell only the adapter.

I´ll will see the adapter price.

They also have 92mm adapter.

I bought from them the motor and the 92 mm adapter.

I did not know they sell only the adapter.

John and Cecil said:
I have not mounted it yet but this cheap light does work with the 6v power lead wires and it seems fairly bright for being only 6v. The rubber band mounting has much to be desired but I will probably mod it somehow when I get around to it. It does not work with the usb power coming off the display though, the tsdz2 supplies more amperage through the light lead over the usb.

Cool thanks, which is the light lead - is that the 2nd wire coming out of the speedo?

emr said:
I am in the process of getting headlights and tail lights that will run from the main battery, to avoid having so many items to charge. There are many lights that include DC to DC converters that will run from 9v to 60v...

If you want to run lights from the brake/lights cable (if your model includes this cable) that came with the TSDZ2, then I do not have details on the current limit, but believe the voltage may be 6v.

Thanks for these leads, very useful.

echew said:
USD $395 for a light!! :shock:

I paid $6.40 for my light :) Maybe $395 is for the light AND the motor? I wish I could tell you more about my light but I have been too busy lately to get it installed. I don't have much room up front due to my battery being mounted on my handlebars. I was going to mount it on the hoop on my suspension forks over my tire but I would never be able to reach the button on the back of it when down there. I tested it once in my garage and it was bright though.

The light lead is the 4' long wire that connects to that double connector (that puzzled you earlier) and then forks into 2 wires each with 2 connectors. I tested the light first on the usb and it would not turn on due to low amperage, but it was bright on the 6v light lead. The wire is forked so you can run a front and rear light.

Just thought i'd chime in... I have played around alot with different lights... I settled on 2 options... one are just some basic front and rear lights, simple but nice enough, I finally settled on some made for TSDZ2, shipped from china. I won't bore you with those

The other option is, I get appropriately rated flat led/pcb and put them in whatever lights I use. I like the simple small circle lights with silicone bands for the seatpost and handlebar. Very small and enough output..

So, I take these:
bell lights.jpeg

And then put these in them, with pigtails soldered, so I can connect right to the light wires for the TSDZ2
ledlights.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1W-3W-5W-Warm-White-Red-Blue-Full-Spectrum-RGB-UV-High-Power-LED-Chip-With-PCB/322545319762?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=511524697016&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Ok, I also wanted to show something I do for any FULL SUSPENSION TSDZ2 CONVERSION. As you know, the TSDZ2 comes with a bracket, that attaches usually where a kickstand goes etc... as an extra anchor. You cannot use this part on full suspension conversions, as this part pivots, and usually wont have anywhere to bolt in the anchor anyway - SO, I use this attachment point for a chain guide I made for the TSDZ2.

TSDZ2 chain guide.jpg

What do you think? I'm loving it. I never have to worry about chain drop anymore, no matter how bumpy the terrain

eyebyesickle said:
ut..
So, I take these:
bell lights.jpeg

Very nice! Do you have a link to purchase the bell lights?

So you don't need a DC-DC converter for these?

Edit: Ah ok, so I think these are the ones: https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Meteor-LED-Silicon-Light/dp/B01N8Y9Z2R

John and Cecil said:
I paid $6.40 for my light :)
The light lead is the 4' long wire that connects to that double connector (that puzzled you earlier) and then forks into 2 wires each with 2 connectors. I tested the light first on the usb and it would not turn on due to low amperage, but it was bright on the 6v light lead. The wire is forked so you can run a front and rear light.

Thanks John, $6.40 is more in my budget range :D

eyebyesickle said:
Ok, I also wanted to show something I do for any FULL SUSPENSION TSDZ2 CONVERSION. As you know, the TSDZ2 comes with a bracket, that attaches usually where a kickstand goes etc... as an extra anchor. You cannot use this part on full suspension conversions, as this part pivots, and usually wont have anywhere to bolt in the anchor anyway - SO, I use this attachment point for a chain guide I made for the TSDZ2.

TSDZ2 chain guide.jpg

What do you think? I'm loving it. I never have to worry about chain drop anymore, no matter how bumpy the terrain

That looks like a good idea I think I'll pester you for a sample,

On the full suspension set up I have been using the bafang BB nut set up as I have a torque wrench and socket to fit them, no more dinky doo bendy wrench issues

echew said:
eyebyesickle said:
ut..
So, I take these:
bell lights.jpeg

Very nice! Do you have a link to purchase the bell lights?

So you don't need a DC-DC converter for these?

Edit: Ah ok, so I think these are the ones: https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Meteor-LED-Silicon-Light/dp/B01N8Y9Z2R

the bell lights themselves run on batteries, I open them up, place my own flat LED/PCB with wires, then connect directly to the TSDZ2 6v light wires...

"And then put these in them, with pigtails soldered, so I can connect right to the light wires for the TSDZ"

Do tsdz2 power 2-3 of them at 5W?

eyebyesickle said:
the bell lights themselves run on batteries, I open them up, place my own flat LED/PCB with wires, then connect directly to the TSDZ2 6v light wires...

Great, gotcha.

I had a look at the LEDs you linked to - the 5W ones say they operate on 6V but the 1W and 3W operate on 3V. Would these still be ok with the TSDZ2 6V light wires?

Electrical engineering was never my strong point...

My battery arrived! :D

Just wanted to say thanks to recycles-ebike.com for a such a speedy delivery!

I'm based in NZ and my delivery times were:

- 13 days from placing order for the TSDZ2 motor
- 16 days from placing order for the battery

Lucky you, NZ :) That was on the top of my list for relocating, but the financial requirements to move there for early retirement is pretty insane.

Hmm, yeah, it's getting harder and harder to get in now. I was lucky that I got my residency before they upped the requirements (I'm from the UK originally).

Anyhoo, just had my maiden voyage around the block with the TSDZ2! Very cool!

I seem to only be able to get up to around 30 km/h using just the throttle which surprised me a little as I'm on the flat and only weigh 72kg. But it could be due to a number of things: I have it on a MTB with knobbly tyres and the battery is being used straight from receiving it in the post this morning.

Got up to over 40 km/h when giving it a little pedal. Next test is to take it up a huge hill and say hi to my friends this arvo!

Still not sure if I've got the hang of using the gears with this thing. I'm very worried I'm going to mash the blue cog (although I have the bronze in the post). It seems overkill to drop down to my lowest gear before starting from rest as the first 3 or 4 gears seem so super easy and I hardly get moving. And then I'm wondering whether if I stop pedaling and the noise of the motor stops, is that sufficient for me to then change multiple gears at once and start pedaling again?

I'm even wondering if it's ok to start from standing in the highest gear if you're very gentle at the beginning?

echew said:
Hmm, yeah, it's getting harder and harder to get in now. I was lucky that I got my residency before they upped the requirements (I'm from the UK originally).

Anyhoo, just had my maiden voyage around the block with the TSDZ2! Very cool!

I seem to only be able to get up to around 30 km/h using just the throttle which surprised me a little as I'm on the flat and only weigh 72kg. But it could be due to a number of things: I have it on a MTB with knobbly tyres and the battery is being used straight from receiving it in the post this morning.

Got up to over 40 km/h when giving it a little pedal. Next test is to take it up a huge hill and say hi to my friends this arvo!

Still not sure if I've got the hang of using the gears with this thing. I'm very worried I'm going to mash the blue cog (although I have the bronze in the post). It seems overkill to drop down to my lowest gear before starting from rest as the first 3 or 4 gears seem so super easy and I hardly get moving. And then I'm wondering whether if I stop pedaling and the noise of the motor stops, is that sufficient for me to then change multiple gears at once and start pedaling again?

I'm even wondering if it's ok to start from standing in the highest gear if you're very gentle at the beginning?
I have been commuting with mine (Melbourne), and been using it on Tour setting. Occasionally on Speed. Almost never on Eco. For pulling away, i have been a little careful not to have my pedal at high 2 o'clock position (which is my habit from years and years of commuting and other cycling), or if I have, not to pull away with a lot of torque on the cranks, because the motor controller multiplies that torque.
So the short answer is, just pull away a little gently, in Tour setting, and a bit more gently in Speed. In Eco, never mind, pull away normally.

Back