Domino Throttle

teslanv said:
Any recommendations for a USA seller of the Domino Throttle?
I have a project that I want to try it out on.

Did you already saw this?
http://www.electricmotorsport.com/domino-twist-grip-throttle-with-microswitch.html

Is there any cheaper source than the 90$ one for these great throttle grip?

Doc

Wow .. we need this at lower cost...

Domino commercial offerings are not super.
They obviously offer custom variants - as you have seen on some Electric Motorcycles

I have worked with them (on the bench - not in service)
This was the 5K pot version with the micro switch purchased from the only US vendor I can find.

They are leaps and bounds better than the Maguras from a fit and finish perspective.

A = top of pot
W = wiper
B = bottom of pot
S1 = top of switch
S2 = bottom of switch

To get them to play nice with the Sevcon (out of the box) we do the following:
1) Run a 100ohm resistor inline with A to the Sevcon "10V" throttle output (~13ish volts)
2) B directly to the Sevcon ground lug via a "home run" (dont make ground loops)
3) W directly to the Sevcon Throttle 1 input
4) S1 ties to A (to grab a potential - close to the Sevcon - in an IP67 rated enclosure or potting)
5) S2 ties to the strapped and pulled down gate of a 200V IR Dpak (protected low side switch)
6) Drain (strapped to source with a 150V TVS) acts on FS1 or any other Sevcon interlock input
7) Source ties to B, home run to the Sevcon ground lug, dont make ground loops

Result is that the throttle can interlock the Sevcon
No additional voltages are introduced to the throttle cavity
Sufficient margin is included to avoid short circuit failure (test with AC noise - gets clamped at TVS on Gate and Drain/Dource)

No field data - other than a few runs

As for POT vs Hall -
A magnet running up against a hall sensor will obviously outlive a wipe running down a POT.
The signal to noise ratio is about 3X worse on the hall - but you have to consider drive current.
A 1.8V to 3.8V hall, that is biased to push a good current, may well be more noise immune than a 10V pot

10V / 5K = 2mA bias current, so 20mW of control power
Little to no current flowing thru the wiper - 0-10V into 100k ~ 0mA to 100uA
No shielding provided

Unknown quiescent current into the hall sensor
Unknown output drive current ability on the hall sensor

I can tell you that you will have noise issues
They can be dealt with in any number of ways

Things that are stiff ... rattle differently than things which are soft*
Get your scope out and look at the noise developed between Throttle In and Sevcon Ground
Bypass with caps and diodes across your operating range if required

Should someone find a COTS source for the dual magnetic I will commit to buying 10pcs
Until then, and due to Zero's business practices around procurement and parts - the custom version is basically unavailable (other than ordering wholesale direct from supplier in bulk)

The primary concern is locking out anything that will cause the motor to turn unintentionally.
The switch in the throttle does a fine job of this

Do not run the high voltage (Vbat/2) directly into the switch in the throttle.
FS1 is approximated by two 44k resistors across Vbat presenting to the user, in the case of a 120V pack, 60V
It takes (calculation or measurement, cant remember) 2.5mA of sink to pull FS1 to 4.4V
Thats about 5V * 2.5mA = 12.5mW in round numbers (thats what you need to drive with your mosfet)

-methods

P.S.
Finally ordering parts today for the (very basic) board that interfaces the throttle switch to the Sevcon input.

250V IR Power fet (octa-overkill... but it wont short out on you)
3KW TVS for gate and Drain/Source (octa-overkill... but it wont short out on you)
10K on the pulldown, 100ohm on the inline (just to kill a little more high frequency noise)
Smallest PCB possible thu OSH park

Ordering 6 PCB's at a few bucks a piece
Parts to make 10

2 to enthusiast in Canada
2 to enthusiast in California
2 for me to try and break

Potting them in a way similar to how the Ideal Diodes are potted - we will see how it lays up
No pigtails coming out (shit is ghetto) - instead PCB tabs coming out
Spaced reasonably - where user can determine end required

Options:
* PCB mounted IP67 then backpot (too complicated and big)
* Pigtail out (done that, too ghetto)
* raw board, sandwich bag, packed with dielectric (could do it)
* Non-IP rated connector on a potted board packed with grease (will survive)

Eh....

Going to go over to GRIN and try and see what low cost connectors Justin has managed to get to survive across IP67.
Will see.

(moving turtle slow as always... as this work is NOT ~"1hp gokart stuff")

Be careful with powerful stuff*

-methods

Do you guys think a ball-bearing Throttle would be over-engineered? Im currently designing one and think about this idea as well.

Would love to see a ball bearing half throttle for Electric motorcycles, similar to this domino or the Hirschman E throttle.

I saw a kit for Arlen Ness ball bearings and have found some throttle + Brake control issues on an Alta, want half throttle, much safer than these full throttle kits on that bike.

Domino is inexpensive for what you get, which is the highest quality ebike throttle commonly available. But that doesn't mean it's the best possible quality.

Yeah a high end, ball bearing (or whatever) throttle would be cool. I would buy one if it was higher quality than domino. I think a good price point would be ~$250.

flat tire said:
Domino is inexpensive for what you get, which is the highest quality ebike throttle commonly available. But that doesn't mean it's the best possible quality.

Yeah a high end, ball bearing (or whatever) throttle would be cool. I would buy one if it was higher quality than domino. I think a good price point would be ~$250.
potatonet said:
Would love to see a ball bearing half throttle for Electric motorcycles, similar to this domino or the Hirschman E throttle.

I saw a kit for Arlen Ness ball bearings and have found some throttle + Brake control issues on an Alta, want half throttle, much safer than these full throttle kits on that bike.

Im on it. Check out my topic: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101691

Can anyone please help me wire my domino throttle. I understand where the positive negative and signal wires connect with the pins and waterproof connector... but what about the other two spots (last two out of five connections in connector). The diagram says they are green ?? I don’t know what the heck that means... I’m a newb btw in case u can’t already tell.

Attachments

• BA2D1638-1EE5-40D5-80FB-3FDF536E2549.jpeg
    BA2D1638-1EE5-40D5-80FB-3FDF536E2549.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 2,428
Hi did u ever figure this out ? I’m stuck... i got a domino and I know where the pos, neg, and signal go to. There are two more pins in the 5 pin connector and the diagram says they are green wires??? Where do I connect those to. I saw a video and it says to only use the three pins and leave the other two unused. Is that correct, I’m affraid I’ll hook it up and ruin my bike lol. Sorry I’m new.

E5J7R said:
Can anyone please help me wire my domino throttle. I understand where the positive negative and signal wires connect with the pins and waterproof connector... but what about the other two spots (last two out of five connections in connector). The diagram says they are green ?? I don’t know what the heck that means... I’m a newb btw in case u can’t already tell.

Connect blue (5v) and green together

Other green becomes new 5v wire

It runs the voltage wire through the internal microswitch

Sorry I’m dumb lol what does a microswitch do? I hooked it all up without the green wires and got a throttle error And motor cut off. Two places. First while sitting at zero throttle ... then as I turn it , the error goes away. Then after about 75% turn of throttle then it gives the error again which stops the motor and it won’t start again until I fully untwist the throttle and twist again... which make the thing pretty much useless to me. Uggg. I read could be as problem die to my controller possibly having a resistor that is a hig/low voltage safety cutoff. And it trips that when the domino gives a too low or too high voltage. Is there a workaround? Thanks

Ps are the green wires for regenerative breaking? My controller is to basic for that fancy stuff

DasDouble said:
Do you guys think a ball-bearing Throttle would be over-engineered? Im currently designing one and think about this idea as well.
Sounds good I want one

E5J7R said:
DasDouble said:
Sounds good I want one

I have started to design one but I need to finish my other projects first. Will take a while until its ready for sale.

E5J7R said:
Sorry I’m dumb lol what does a microswitch do? I hooked it all up without the green wires and got a throttle error And motor cut off. Two places. First while sitting at zero throttle ... then as I turn it , the error goes away. Then after about 75% turn of throttle then it gives the error again which stops the motor and it won’t start again until I fully untwist the throttle and twist again... which make the thing pretty much useless to me. Uggg. I read could be as problem die to my controller possibly having a resistor that is a hig/low voltage safety cutoff. And it trips that when the domino gives a too low or too high voltage. Is there a workaround? Thanks

Ps are the green wires for regenerative breaking? My controller is to basic for that fancy stuff

You probably need to add fixed resistors in series with pins 1 and 3 so the output will be 1-4v instead of 0-5v. 1.2K as I remember assuming the throttle is 5k.

The microswitch is intended for a contactor. I would just not use those wires on a brushless motor.

fechter said:
E5J7R said:

You probably need to add fixed resistors in series with pins 1 and 3 so the output will be 1-4v instead of 0-5v. 1.2K as I remember assuming the throttle is 5k.

The microswitch is intended for a contactor. I would just not use those wires on a brushless motor.

Thanks it sounds like u know what my problem is. My controller only delivers 5v to the throttle and so the domino is supposed to use 12v dc nominal 40v dc Max.

I’m not even sure it’s being triggered by a safety cutoff... it may just be incompatible voltages. What do u think?

Do I still need the resistors and if so..

What are these resistors and how do I find them?

Thanks for replying

You need the resistors. Do you know what the resistance of the Domino is? You can use an ohmmeter to measure across the ground to 5v pins on the throttle (throttle unplugged). You may be able to find it in the specs from when you bought it. Ones I've seen are 5k but it could be different.

I'm also trying as you to get the Domino to work with my controller (Kelly)
Kelly also uses 5v for throttle. Not really sure how to get this right.

These are specs and wiring from Domino.

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 12.14.02.pngScreenshot 2020-09-24 at 10.48.14.png

Back