Kepler Bottom Bracket Friction Drive For Sale (Finally)

Hi,

first post here, I have been reading all the stuff you made and it seems to be awesome!! why buying a bafang and a very big battery for around 1200$ ending up with a 25kg bike when we can make the conversion with a friction drive for 250-300$ battery included with the bike weighing around 10-12kg or even less?!

I m interested to buy two of them too, even If I still haven t checked if my bottom brackets are compatible, don t want to miss it!

But I come from Belgium...

Doesn't matter where you live. I can send drive mech nearly anywhere. :D

Apologies for the delay but I hope worth the wait. I have been busy continuing testing and figuring out how to make the drive more robust and to open up more mounting options.

So what has changed?
The main mounting plate that attaches to the bottom bracket has been split into 2 pieces. -- 3 reason for this.

Reason 1: The motor can be removed from the main mounting bracket without disturbing any of the endstop settings.
Reason 2: The split bracket creates an offset and as such provides better chainring clearance
Reason 3: Makes it easy to fabricate a kickstand mount for those so inclined to mate too the main drive assembly.

There has also been an anti rotation bracket added to the drive assembly. This bracket is designed to assist with supporting the main mounting plate and applies additional support to stop the main mounting plate rotating under forces exerted when the drive is pushing into the tire.

Will do a limited run of 20 units for starters. Pricing stays the same.

Attachments

• Friction Drive.JPG
    Friction Drive.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 2,691
  • Friction Drive1.JPG
    Friction Drive1.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 2,691
PM sent. I have been looking into different bike options for the last ten days or so. I was convinced I would have to spend a lot more money to get a solid setup together, but this genius minimalist design gets rid of the need for all that!

No worries PM received.

Confirming that the laser cutting order has been placed so production is underway. :D Working on an updated manual at the moment that includes the latest Vesc information, new Ardunio interface, and display app.

Kepler said:
No worries PM received.

Confirming that the laser cutting order has been placed so production is underway. :D Working on an updated manual at the moment that includes the latest Vesc information, new Ardunio interface, and display app.

Checked out Ardunio.. :shock: what a cool, versatile, inexpensive instrument!

A quick update.

I have confirmation from the laser cutters that parts will be ready for pickup next week. So the latest design drive will be ready to ship the week after that.

Been continuing the development of the button throttle concept. I have now gone to a single throttle button only.

Logic for the single button is as follows:

Single button 2 speed throttle with throttle kill

Using a single momentary switch/button, the drive can be toggled from zero% to 50% throttle by holding the button for a minimum of 2 seconds and a maximum of 4 seconds. This 2 second delay ensures that you won't accidentally switch the drive on by bumping the throttle button.
The drive can also be toggled from zero% to 100% throttle by holding the button for a minimum of 4 seconds.
The drive can then be toggled between 50% and 100% by using a continued 2 second to 4 second button hold.
Any button push less than 2 seconds will immediately kill the throttle.

Further programming considerations
Other programing considerations are ramp times. For drive engagement, a quick ramp is needed so the torque reaction within the motor kicks or bumps the motor against the tire. This quick ramp time is maintained when transitioning between 50% throttle and 100% throttle. However, disengagement requires a slower ramp rate. This slower ramp rate allows the motor to roll off the tires smoothly and landing softly on its mechanical bump stop.

Any momentary switch can be used for the throttle adding further versatility to the setup.
Code will be freely available or you can purchase a pre programmed Arduino Pro Mini’s ready for a plug and play solution. I am considering offering the throttle button interface also for those preferring not to make their own. The latest assembly manual will also be included with any drive purchased.

Price on the pre programmed Arduino interface will be $25 USD
Price on the custom button throttle will also be $25 USD

There has also been quite a lot of enquiries to purchasing a complete package. I am seriously considering this now the design has been refined.

I would be looking to offer the following package:

1: Drive mechanics
2: 63-54 200kv outrunner motor
3: fully programmed Vesc
4: Arduino microcontroller
5: Button throttle interface with 1.5m cable
6: 1.0mm motor extension cables
7: Bike seat bag modified to accept the Vesc and Arduino Interface

I will not be supplying batteries due to the attached liability and difficulty in shipping however the drive will suit a host of 6S LiPo batteries readily available through Hobbyking of similar. And of course custom lithium Ion packs can also be used.

Price on the full package is still to be finalized

ScooterMan101 said:
Kepler,

How would that motor/controller run with 7s and 8s packs ?

No problems at all. Just keep motor kv down to no higher then 200kv.

I have a folding bike running 12S in conjunction with an 80kv skateboard wheel hub motor.

Great ,

Any chance you will offer the drive kit with a lower KV motor ?

I am thinking about making a small kick scooter drive using your system . ( would not need the mounting plates )
So it is possible that you could sell some of the parts ?

Kepler said:
ScooterMan101 said:
Kepler,

How would that motor/controller run with 7s and 8s packs ?

No problems at all. Just keep motor kv down to no higher then 200kv.

I have a folding bike running 12S in conjunction with an 80kv skateboard wheel hub motor.

I would like to buy 1 friction drive kit, can you please send me the info or link about pricing, payment mode and shipping costs to France ?

Thanks, best regards, Jean-Marc

Waiting for more info. Sounds perfect.

Hello! I'm interested in getting just the button throttle with a pre programmed Arduino. Would this be possible?

Back