Tesla crash Mountain View California

Some information has emerged. I am still wondering what the phone records will revile.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-autopilot-death-report-20180607-story.html
Tesla Model X on Autopilot sped up seconds before deadly crash in Silicon Valley, report says

By Russ Mitchell
Jun 07, 2018 | 10:45 AM | San Francisco
(Associated Press)

Tesla Model X on Autopilot sped up seconds before deadly crash in Silicon Valley, report says
The driver was fatally injured when a Tesla Model X in Autopilot mode crashed into a concrete barrier and burst into flames on March 23 in Mountain View, Calif.

Three seconds before a Tesla Model X on Autopilot slammed into a concrete barrier in March in Silicon Valley, killing the driver, the car sped up, the brakes were not applied, and there was no evasive action.

Those findings were disclosed Thursday in a preliminary report from the National Transportation Safety Board on the Highway 101 crash that took the life of Walter Huang, a 38-year-old software engineer at Apple.

Still, more questions than answers remain as the safety board continues its investigation into what role the driver and the Autopilot system each played.

According to the report, Huang had the Tesla sport utility vehicle’s Autopilot system engaged continuously for nearly 19 minutes before the vehicle hit the barrier at 9:27 a.m.

Autopilot includes adaptive cruise control and can automatically change lanes to pass cars on a freeway with a flick of the turn signal. The system attempts to maintain a human driver’s attention by keeping his or her hands on the steering wheel, with visual and audio warnings and eventually a vehicle shutdown if the driver does not comply.

During the nearly 19-minute period, Autopilot flashed two visual alerts and issued one auditory alert, the report said, with all three coming 15 minutes before the crash.

(In a blog post after the crash, Tesla said, “The driver had received several visual and one audible hands-on warning earlier in the drive,” but did not mention they’d come 15 minutes before the crash. The NTSB said only two visual warnings were provided.)

The safety board laid out a succession of events in the final seconds before the crash:

On the morning of March 23, Huang approached an interchange where cars can exit Highway 101 onto Highway 85 in Mountain View.

Seven seconds before the crash, according to the report, the car began to veer left, away from the vehicle it was following.

At six seconds, Autopilot no longer detected Huang’s hands on the steering wheel.

At three seconds, the car’s speed increased from 62 to 70.8 miles per hour. The brakes were not applied and there was no evasive steering before the car plowed into the butt end of a concrete barrier that divided regular lanes from the exit lane, the NTSB found.

The Tesla also collided with two other cars, which caused minor injuries to one driver.

Immediately after the crash, other motorists stopped and left their vehicles to pull Huang from his car. Moments later, the Model X was “engulfed” in a fire that originated in its battery pack and a thick cloud of black smoke rose over the freeway. Huang was taken to a nearby hospital where he died, the NTSB said.

The crushed Model X was transported to an impound lot the day of the crash. According to the NTSB, the battery started smoking again late in the afternoon. Five days later, the damaged high-voltage battery flamed up yet again. Firefighters were called in to douse the blaze.

Alain Kornhauser, head of the autonomous car engineering program at Princeton University, said the NTSB and Tesla have plenty of questions left to answer.

Among them:

Were the driver's hands on the wheel during the seven seconds prior to the crash?
Did his hands override the Tesla's steering command in any way?
Did his hands initiate the left steering movement? If not, what did?
During the last three seconds prior to the crash, did any of the sensors detect an object ahead?

Kornhauser noted that several of Tesla’s Autopilot crashes involve the car slamming into a stationary objects, including a Tesla Model S’s rear-ending of a stopped Culver City fire truck on the 405 Freeway.

On May 11, a Model S with Autopilot engaged in South Jordan, Utah, also hit a stopped fire truck. Police reported the car had sped up about 3 seconds before the crash, which broke one of the driver’s feet.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk complains often that the media focuses on crashes involving Tesla’s Autopilot and other robot-equipped vehicles, while ignoring scores of deaths caused every day by human drivers. Car crashes cause nearly 40,000 deaths annually in the U.S., according to recent figures.

In its post-crash blog post, the company said that Tesla cars on Autopilot had passed the same spot 85,000 times without incident. It also noted that a crash attenuator on the concrete barrier, a metal frame meant to absorb the impact of a crash, had been damaged in an earlier crash, so the impact of Huang’s car was more severe than it might otherwise have been.

Kornhauser said safety officials should determine why the attenuator had gone unrepaired for 11 days before Huang was killed.

Musk repeatedly has said cars are safer with Autopilot than without it. Safety experts have repeatedly said that may be, but there’s not enough data yet to prove it statistically.

1:00 p.m.: This story was updated with quotes from Alain Kornhauser at Princeton University.

e-beach said:
Some information has emerged. I am still wondering what the phone records will revile.

Ah, the reviled phone. But if they haven't said anything about it yet, they probably won't. They're more interested in making hay about the autopilot.

i just love how "news reporters" (i use that term very loosly) always seem to take the piss on tesla no matter the cricumstances.
the guy had his CC set to 70+, he was not watching the road, not had his hands near the wheel, do zero action despite having a concrete wall coming at him at 70mph. either he was busy with his phone or he was suicidal. and he knew autopilot was a bit iffy at that spot. (truth of this is still up for debate, tesla seems to disagree with their internal statistics)

any faults in autopilot or driver aside: autopilot is a driver AID, not a driver replacement. not yet anyway.
this is often forgotten and tesla gets blamed despite having proven time and time again that autopilot is safer then driving yourself.

sidenote: i must say i am actually suprised how the car is still in one piece (kinda). considering it went from 70-0 in about 3ft is usually much more "eventful" in my experience with other big cars.

The poor guy relied too much on technology......

A preliminary review of the Tesla’s recorded performance data showed:
https://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/nr20180607.aspx

The Autopilot system was engaged on four separate occasions during the 32-minute trip, including continuous operation for the last 18 minutes and 55 seconds prior to the crash.

In the 18 minutes and 55 seconds prior to impact, the Tesla provided two visual alerts and one auditory alert for the driver to place his hands on the steering wheel. The alerts were made more than 15 minutes before the crash.

The driver’s hands were detected on the steering wheel for a total of 34 seconds, on three separate occasions, in the 60 seconds before impact. The vehicle did not detect the driver’s hands on the steering wheel in the six seconds before the crash.

The Tesla was following a lead vehicle and traveling about 65 mph, eight seconds before the crash.

While following a lead vehicle the Tesla began a left steering movement, seven seconds before the crash.

The Tesla was no longer following a lead vehicle four seconds before the crash.

The Tesla’s speed increased — starting three seconds before impact and continuing until the crash — from 62 to 70.8 mph. There was no braking or evasive steering detected prior to impact.

The Mountain View Fire Department applied about 200 gallons of water and foam to extinguish the post-crash fire. The battery reignited five days after the crash in an impound lot and was extinguished by the San Mateo Fire Department.

The 4 page preliminary report is available online at https://goo.gl/cDv2kf. The NTSB’s investigation of the crash is ongoing. Major investigations and investigations of crashes involving fatalities are generally completed in 12 to 24 months.

Poor guy, he was too reliant on tech...

Snip...........Despite that history, Huang was over-reliant on the Autopilot system, the NTSB found, noting that he used his iPhone 8 while behind the wheel and that a strategy game called Three Kingdoms was “active during his commute to work.”

The five-member NTSB board on Tuesday unanimously found that the crash was caused by “system limitations” in Tesla’s Autopilot feature, “and the driver’s lack of response due to distraction likely from a cellphone game application and over reliance on the Autopilot partial driving automation system.”........snip

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...b710bc-574d-11ea-9b35-def5a027d470_story.html

markz said:
Clipboard021.jpg

e-beach said:
Poor guy, he was too reliant on tech...
Same thing on the trains around here...and the cars and the sidewalks. I see it as a form of pestilence, but then, I actually have friends I can talk to.

:D :bolt:

coworker just heard of this crash and put the blame fully on tesla, not the guy that buried his face in his phone to play some stupid game while careening down the highway at 70mph...

c5ihAxe.jpg

Oh you using fancy words now.
pestilence - Definition of pestilence
1 : a contagious or infectious epidemic disease that is virulent and devastating especially : bubonic plague
2 : something that is destructive or pernicious I'll pour this pestilence into his ear— William Shakespeare

The word makes sense. All too often, people are walking and looking down, whether it be their phone or for some strange reason just the asphalt/concrete. Lots of concrete staring people out there too.

e-beach said:
Same thing on the trains around here...and the cars and the sidewalks. I see it as a form of pestilence, but then, I actually have friends I can talk to.
:D :bolt:

markz said:
Oh you using fancy words now........

You got me cachinnating with that one.

:lol: :bolt:

Back